Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Club Med- does it do it for you.

Poster: A snowHead
Anybody been ?,views much appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yeah, fantastic. Check out my 'rave review' on the Pacakge Tours v DIY thread.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
did you do a last minute deal at that price.seems very good to me!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks dave- what were the clientele like? thinking of going to the adult only Val Thorens one.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bend - That was full brochure price (booked last June) - don't know how they can make any profit.

Knee Deep - not sure what you're looking for (or trying to avoid!) clientele-wise, but of the 300 or so guests there were only 19 Brits, and the rep told us that that was more then they usually have in any one week. As well as the obvious large numbers of French, there were 120 Israelis, and scatterings of Belgians, Italians and Dutch. It certainly had a very continetal feel to it, and (perhaps because of the lack of Brits!), seemed more 'sophisticated' than your average 1st Choice clubhotel. Ages ranged from mid-20s to 50s, and there was everything from couples to groups of lads/girls.

We did have a theory that they must cap the numbers of Brits and Belgians that they allow, as we were the only ones who seemed to be trying to get our money's worth at the bar (all very civilly of course!). The French & Isaeli's don't seem to drink so much, so are probably more 'cost effective'. We saw ourselves as sort of 'loss leaders'!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Dave, not so sure myself what I'm looking for in clientele, or avoiding as you put it, certainly with Mark Warner it would a Brit affair, could make a nice change to meet some other nationalities.Somebody described it as a glorified Butlins once which slightly put me off, but does sound like good value.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Has anyone ever stayed at the Club Med in Wengen? It's in the Palace Hotel. Looks very nice from the outside, but that 's all I know. How's the food? Staff? Rooms?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not stayed in Club Med Wengen - but stayed in Club med at les arcs this year and it was great !!

Normally put together a DIY deal but couldn;t better club meds offering of £719 all in for the week. Was supicious of all inclusive for a ski holiday but to be honest it was a bargain !!
Espcially when the insurance, paradiski pass and all day lessons were included - not forgetting the alcohol and food !!

Club med seem to discount heavily inthe summer over here - thats when you will find the deals

Totally agree with Dave Burt in that it a made a complete change from your normal Brits abroad adventure in a 1st choice hotel.
we were definately in the minority, about 30 of us at the most. The rest of the hotel was mainly french, a few belgians, dutch and swedes ( living in britain)

The other half who is not the worlds best at loving the french ... actually said to me " OMG the french are alright " so hopefully looking good for doing a season at some point in france LOL

Only thing I would mention from a female point of view is that the french women all dress up every night even though its a ski resort. Felt rather under dressed in walking boots, jeans and hoodies LMAO
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JohnnyC, Only ever been in once I'm afraid, looked ok though, I don't know if Ronald knows any more he did a bit of instructing there the other year and I have a vague feeling that he might have taken the Club Med groups so just possibly might have been in there, try asking on the Jungfrau Region thread in the resorts section I'm sure someone will have been in, alternatively if you really want I could go and have a look the week after next as I'll be almost next door in the Belvedere
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
D G Orf, not to worry. I posted my query about five years ago and think I can wait a bit longer... Shock
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JohnnyC, Oops sorry, that's what I get for looking at resurected threads when I'm about to fall asleep Embarassed
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We did it one summer when the kids were tiny, in some elegant spa town in NE France (Vittel?). Excellent facilities and good grub, but we didn't like the slightly Butlinsesque atmos, and haven't done it again (and won't). It was good value, though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bobblehat, for the price, how's the food, room (& staff)? Much partying (since alcohol is included)?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Knee Deep, Can't speak for the Adult only one, but our single experience of staying with club Med (Alpe D'huez) was enough that it will never be repeated.

pros:
Evening meal was pretty good
Location was ski in ski out

Cons:
Everything else Evil or Very Mad

Rooms were tiny, staff were surly, place was full of small children running around screaming, Ski lessons were rubbish, afternoon tea was a plate of biscuits, evening 'entertainment' was non existent, Price was VERY high, Location was not handy for any other amenities.

Basically it was overpriced and failed to deliver on its promises. Have had MUCH better holidays at MUCH better hotels for less money.

Sorry I didn't answer sooner Embarassed Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Axsman, Can't confirm that for Val D'Isere. Location is perfect, instruction/guiding was excellent. Food was good. The only downside was that on one occasion the entire club went down with Norovirus (not fun, not fun at all) and the size of the rooms is a joke. Other than that I can only recommend it. But Val D' is not a children's club so maybe that's the difference?
ski holidays
Steilhang, I guess like most things, their quality and 'product' will vary a lot from location to location. Interesting that you mention the room sizes. Ours was so small that I could stand in the 'bathroom' and touch all four walls without moving. They were TINY. (and not what I would expect from a 'luxury' hotel at all) Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Axsman wrote:
Ours was so small that I could stand in the 'bathroom' and touch all four walls without moving

At the same time? What with? Actually, I may not want to know.
snow conditions
richmond, Just by breathing in Shocked Laughing
latest report
abc,

hiya - If honest the rooms are a little tired but very clean with private batheroom and toilet ( no sharing down a corridor) with the maid coming every day and actually tidying, cleaning and replacing towels rather than just putting in an appearance LOL
Food - was really good and was impressed with the amount of people that they cater for - breakfast had everything you could wish for, lunch I don't know because we couldn;t have physically eaten it, afternoon tea and cakes ok, dinner pretty damn good - each night the food was different, selection of starters, 5/6 main courses to choose from and about 5 differnet desserts, cheese and biscuits.
Bottles of wine freely available for the table from fridges around the restaurant.

Alcohol - plenty of it and only cost if you wanted a premium brand
Partying - not too much of that, the staff put on a show every night which was a bit butlins but we just stayed in the bar and enjoyed the atmosphere LOL
Also not being super fit we were knackered most nights from the daytime adventures, so flopping into bed was a good option after the free drinkies

Staff - surprisingly helpful and attentive, I think being able to speak some french helped as they weren't too sure we were english LOL

All in all a suprisingly good experience - if you;re a party animal probably not the place for you, but if after a comfy room, good food, lots to drink, massive ski area - then I think it woould have been impossible to beat on price !! LOL
snow report
bobblehat,

Hiya - Glad you had a good time.

Did you end up taking the lessons with the ESF in the end? Or just make your own way around

Just curious as to what you ended up doing after the questions you asked on this forum!

Skitrack
ski holidays
Axsman wrote:
richmond, Just by breathing in Shocked Laughing

Whereas when you breathe out you can touch all 4 walls of the Manlichen cable car wink
snow conditions
skitrack,

Hi skitack

To be to the point decided against lesons with ESF as it turned out they were all day with only a break for lunch. This would have meant that I wouldn't have seen anything of the other half all week!!
Actually come to think of it I'm surprised that he didn't try to persuade me otherwise LMAO

Made our way around on our own - basically by me sending him off on a scouting mission each morning to make sure that the runs I had closen for that day weren't above my ability - whilst I had a glass of wine or two Smile

And no injuiries this year which was real bonus LMAO
snow report
bobblehat - you don't have to go all day. We've been going to Club Med Tignes at Feb 1/2 term for 7 years with a mixed age/ability group and we do lessons most mornings and then ski together after lunch. The instructors are used to it and don't seem at all worried.
snow report
I have sneaked in a couple of times for a free nosh, and can recommend the food highly. I have also sneaked on the free club med bus which is rubbish- it only goes to club med.
A friend got a very very cheap deal in the cham one at the end of last season.
snow conditions
davehk,

Not what they said at les Arcs - they seemed to make it pretty clear to our arrival group that if you didn't turn up in the afternoon you wouldn't be able to ski the next morning !!

From pervious experience ESF have their own ideas about things from resort to resort ..... guess you were lucky and the instructors were more relaxed in Tignes Smile
Lucky you Smile
ski holidays
bobblehat,
Quote:
Not what they said at les Arcs - they seemed to make it pretty clear to our arrival group that if you didn't turn up in the afternoon you wouldn't be able to ski the next morning !!
That's not the way it worked at Val D' You could basically just turn up when you felt like it, including joining in the afternoon if you didn't feel like getting out of bed for the morning session. All very easy going! Plus the instructors / guides for the higher groups were excellent; one we had used to train the Spanish women's downhill ski team, great guy!
ski holidays
Badump!

Are these Club Med holidays really as "all-in" as they make out? Some attractive looking prices here for example:

http://www.igluski.com/les-arcs-2000/club-med-arcs-extreme_p6526?holidayid=22171470&Oid=14202092

Flight, transfer, accomodation, all meals, lift pass, even some tuition....

It doesn't say that ski hire is included, but presumably it too is.

So £900ish total spend per person for an average week.

I reckon with several months of research (as I usually do) I could put together a DIY trip for about £100 cheaper than that, but then again time==money... so these look like bargain prices.

I'm not adding much to this discussion really am I? I'm just surprised by the apparent cheapness. Although I do associate the phrase 'Club Med' with 'arseholes in Ibiza'.
snow report
Horses for courses
Passed the new(ish) Club Med building in Peisey - looks nice and with pool and other attractions. But just coldn't see myself there - wasn't that impressed with the 12+ ski school sizes outside either.

But I know folks who go and love it
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulio,

Yes it really is that inclusive - if you want it to be.

Average spend last few years, above that costed by Clubmed - 5Euros plus a tip for the ski-instructor (0 to 20Euros depending on the instructor)

PS We're not all 'ar$eholes in Ibiza'
PPS I think bobblehat went to the same resort - so you can use her trip report fairly reliably.
ski holidays
paulio wrote:
Although I do associate the phrase 'Club Med' with 'arseholes in Ibiza'.

I think you're confused between Club Med and Club 18-30

Obviously it's being too old for the latter that's tired your brain a bit Laughing
ski holidays
paulio, I worked "for" (Kiddo Ski-instructor through the ski school) Club Med in Wengen, so what I know is based on that and what I heard from guests.

Ski hire NOT included (and I wouldn't hire from them, having just 5 different skis and even less on boards)
All drinks at the bar are inclusive (including the ones you kindly donate to your favourite ski instructor Laughing ), cept for premium whisky, premium Cognac and all... Johnny Walker alike are included.
Full days (group) tuition included.

"Ca va" when running by very fast also included... I still don't understand that one Wink

Club is most popular with the french, then dutch, german and then other nationalities.. Brits are very rare indeed.
snow report
Ronald wrote:

Club is most popular with the french, then dutch, german and then other nationalities.. Brits are very rare indeed.

The second sentence is probably explained by the first wink Laughing
latest report
Axsman wrote:
Ronald wrote:

The second sentence is probably explained by the first wink Laughing

Plenty in Tignes at 1/2 term every year. A group of 7-10 us will be there next year feb 1/2 term (teachers and a couple of 13-15 year olds in the group).

BTW - we have also been to Club Med Les Arcs and had no problem only doing the morning ski lessons. If the instructor gets grumpy have a word with the Chef du Village. Club Med is a peachy assignment for the instructors and there is some competition to get in, so they won't want complaints made about them.

"Ca va" when running by very fast also included.

"awrite?" "owsitgoing"?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy