Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowplough

Poster: A snowHead
Hurtle, i dont want to get technical but kids have less strength in their limbs and their balance point is higher up because they have bigger heads and less mass in their limbs than adults. so, they get away with the "racing snowplough" position and lean back into the mountain. but if you teach this position it is more difficult to get them to progress towards parallel skiing.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimottaret, Yeah, I know, have read this before and am wholly convinced BUT, in that case, how do you get them to slow down and stop (without turning)? Or are you saying that veeight had set a trick question, and that you shouldn't in fact teach small kids to snowplough-stop at all?! wink I should say that I hadn't assumed he was talking just about an adult learner.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nobody should be taught that snowplough is a way of stopping.

Stopping is for losers.
Skiing is about go not stop.

(hey, I'm turning into whitegold Toofy Grin )
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm not an instructor but this is what I figure I'd explain (as I demonstrate):

1) Stop (actually, slowing down):
First, push the heel out. (to form the pie shape)
Bend ze knees. (the inside edge will grip)
If it still doesn't slow down fast enough, lean forward and bend ze knee MORE! Wink (easier said than done) Smile

2) Turning:
i) push the heel out on the outside leg
ii) bend THAT knee.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For those people who have taught beginners to snowplough, if you say "push the heels out" do you see some skiers sit back on their heels when they do this, or do the stay in a reasonably good position on their skis? I know when I do a big snowplough (to come to a stop) I tend to drop back on my heels. Do beginners do this when they are just in a gliding plough?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmm, I'm fairly positive that I can get my skis into the pie shape, bend my knees to get my weight forward, and still have my feet and skis perfectly flat on the snow - the edging does not occur automatically, rather I have to pronate to achieve it. In fact, on the right slope, I can do quite a passable racing snowplough! Maybe that's because of flexible hip joints and pixie size, and is not in fact 'normal'? (Boots are snug.) ??
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle, have to say I'm having trouble getting my head around that. Are you sure your skis are perfectly flat on the snow without you taking action to make them that way? Or is the edging of your skis just not very great, so doesn't have a discernible effect on straight line speed?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, To be honest, I'm not sure, I'd need a snowy slope to try and work it out.

This all shows that re-visiting stuff you do automatically is a great way of learning, doesn't it? I can probably live happily with the manner in which I execute a snowplough, but this approach would probably work wonders on other aspects of my woeful technique!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle, I'm going through that process at the moment, revisiting stuff which I've done instinctively for years to work out (a) what actually happens, and (b) how could I describe that to a variety of learners.

As for your snowplough, if your feet are wider apart that the width of your hips I'm not sure how your skis can be anything other than on their inside edges to some degree (not talking much) unless you roll your knees and ankles outwards?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, You're probably right, and they are very slightly on edge - but not enough to make me stop. I can say with some certainty that I don't roll my knees or ankles outwards.........I think. wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If at all possible (ie appropriate terrain is available) I wouldn't specifically teach using the snowplough to stop, I'd teach them to turn to control speed first.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
beanie1, Interestingly I have the same feelings about learning to board. We should learn to stop by turning off the fall line rather that trying to stop going down it or avoid turning into it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle, rob@rar, "John Wayne" skiing wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
david@mediacopy, Particularly difficult for me, since I'm a bit knock-kneed!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
david@mediacopy wrote:
Hurtle, rob@rar, "John Wayne" skiing wink

Ride them horses Smile But that's most certainly a conscious action to change edge angles.
snow conditions
rob@rar I've seen it in a few beginners and not always equestrian types either . . A seemingly lovely snowplough but with flat ski's.

Hurtle, It certainly hurts me when I try it Sad
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
david@mediacopy, Particularly difficult for me, since I'm a bit knock-kneed!

If that's the case I'd guess it's more likely that your snowplough will put your skis onto their edges.
ski holidays
rob@rar, yeah, I agree, that's why I get puzzled shooting off down the hill in me racing snowplough! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
skimottaret, You absolutely have to tell the beginners to open their legs as they push their heels out. They do also usually have to have it explained that the wider the plough the slower they'll go. Any tendency to either sit back or keep the knees together should have been removed with the straight running exercises. If they do it then "a V in your skis and a V in your legs" usually does the trick. If they cross their tips (unusual in adults IME) they can think that the skis should be friends, but not married!

I would teach children to snowplough like this - most of my beginners are adults though. For kids then a pizza or cake or cheese is usually the way to go. It's not good talking about pizzas to a kid who hates them but loves chocolate cake! With very small kids they can choose their favourite one and then imagine eating it afterwards.

I would not teach kids to plough to a stop, but I do teach adults - I know - it's unpopular! However, so long as it's properly explained as a temporary measure for the first couple of days only, I don't find it a problem. Most adult learners have one question when they start "how do I stop?"

abc, I would absolutely not say push out a ski to turn - it starts them off turning by force (!) and their own effort - not by using the design of the ski.
snow conditions
So - how would you teach someone to do a chinese snowplough?!! Twisted Evil

Evidently I'm not suggesting it's something for beginners, ha ha!
snow conditions
beanie1, that comes back to ankles again!! By then they can actually plough - seriously I do it pushing the hip over with one hand to start. I don't do it all that often though as many peeps (myself included) find it uncomfortable! Really good exercise for finding the edges though. Very Happy
ski holidays
beanie1 wrote:
... a chinese snowplough

Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
easiski, so you tell beginners to open their legs as they push their heels out, but, you absolutely NOT say push out a ski to turn???

Perhaps it is just symantecs but i dont like to introduce the words "pushing" or "pressure" too early and i agree snow ploughs stops are to be avoided initially but can give some comfort to adults....
ski holidays
rob@rar,

Snow plough position, one ski edged, one ski flat, body facing downhill. Then switch edges. You will zig zag down the (gentle) slope.

It's quite tricky!
ski holidays
beanie1, crab walks!!! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
beanie1, Space invaders!!! Was doing some yesterday at Aldershot.
latest report
rob@rar,

Ha ha, that is a good name for it!
snow report
beanie1,
Quote:

It's quite tricky!

and hard to correct, i see a lot of kids crabbing on the dry slopes and it tough to correct without resorting to leaning and "tea pot" drills.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beanie1 wrote:
rob@rar,

Ha ha, that is a good name for it!

But surely you're too young to understand the reference? Wink
snow conditions
beanie1, and once upon a time I was queen of those and snowplough wedeln.... My instructor had me do them and practice all over the place.... the other instructors used to suggest I would probably pass a demo of them better than them as I did so many....

he would set me a "plan" like x crab walks then x snow plow wedeln.... and I was to ski the patterns.... then stuff like snowplow wedeln into short turns (again with set patterns)... etc etc.... Confused one of the trainers (home resort not ours so did not know me) at one point because he thought one of his group had escaped... (the instructors told me at coffee time as I was just heading off as they came in... ) I was just ahead of his group doing almost the same drill...very funny as he skied past me glaring at me...
snow conditions
abc wrote:
I'm not an instructor but this is what I figure I'd explain (as I demonstrate):

1) Stop (actually, slowing down):
First, push the heel out. (to form the pie shape)
Bend ze knees. (the inside edge will grip)
If it still doesn't slow down fast enough, lean forward and bend ze knee MORE! Wink (easier said than done) Smile

2) Turning:
i) push the heel out on the outside leg
ii) bend THAT knee.

sorry but 1) WRONG 2) WRONG and ALL WRONG
ski holidays
rob@rar,

I'm old enough! My parents first home computer had space invaders - on one of those casettes that tool about half an hour to load!

skimottaret

We did it as a drill in my Grade 3 and the Trainer told us about a time he'd used it in a Grade 1 tech. Only 3 of the group could do it, and which 3 passed?!
snow report
beanie1, Very Happy
latest report
beanie1, interesting we did it as well but mainly to "demonstrate" a problem, not as a drill.... Grade 1 tech sounds impossible... but then again so does grade 2 tech.. Laughing Shocked
ski holidays
beanie1, easiski, is "chinese snowplough" part of the British ski instructing vernacular? What does it originate from?
snow conditions
slikedges, no idea!
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
easiski, so you tell beginners to open their legs as they push their heels out, but, you absolutely NOT say push out a ski to turn???

Perhaps it is just symantecs but i dont like to introduce the words "pushing" or "pressure" too early and i agree snow ploughs stops are to be avoided initially but can give some comfort to adults....

Pushing out the heels to open the skis and pushing out the ski to turn (thus forcing the ski - sorry - regular word, regular meaning) are two totally different things entirely. Pushing the ski out to turn is what we used to do before carving skis - what a waste of equipment to do the same stuff as way back when, and why should beginners be any different. Never teach them anything they'll have to unlearn is what I believe. Start them off using the design of the ski to do the work, and hopefully they'll never become that bully, out of control, forcy, skiddy, dangerous skier that we all know!! "the appliance of science" (although limited science in my case) Laughing

I would like to ask you what else they are doing? They are, in fact, pushing their heels out. In a turn they are pressing something (what, can vary, obviously). If you are pressing, you are applying pressure in normal language.. Regardless - when going through the exam progression you have to use the phrases in the book or you will fail! rolling eyes Shocked

I don't have any problem with snowplough stops at all. It just has to be done right and taught right.
snow report
slikedges wrote:
beanie1, easiski, is "chinese snowplough" part of the British ski instructing vernacular? What does it originate from?

Yes, and abolutely no idea why it should be called that, but it has as long as I've been skiing. I'm sure it's not racially inspired - I've never noticed chinese people going sideways!! wink wink
ski holidays
beanie1, That's appalling - it should be fairly easy for anyone at Grade 1 tech level. Shocked
latest report
easiski,

yeah, guess that's why they failed!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy