Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off Piste in Canada and Beyond. (i know this is the The Piste section but where else could it go?)

Poster: A snowHead
Hello fellow snowheads,

After doing off piste trips for a few years in the alps, last year i wanted to go to North America. After a lot of combing through the internet i found a great little organization in Canada called Canadian Powder Adventures [url=http://canadianpowder.ca] which operates in the interior of BC, away from the crowds of Whistler and Banff. Had some of the best powder skiing i have ever had. This year i am doing another trip with them but also want to do another trip, maybe in Norway or the States. I am wondering if anyone out there has any other good ideas about where to go or companies to go with outside of the Alps. Cheers,

OR
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to sHs but spam?

CPA another busines to avoid?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
no, just like to give a plug to an organization i thought deserved one. i did win a free trip with them last year i'll admit that and became friends with our guide. So maybe i am a bit biased but who isn't. Besides that i am looking to go off piste in Northern Europe or somewhere else in NA and am looking for ideas. If you got one i'll take it if not then why post anything?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
letitsnowletitsnowlots, would you like to explain your relationship to them?

Welcome to snowHead !
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i just did. i won a free trip with them last year through an extreme channel competition. my bro and i went on the trip and we had a great time with our group and guide. This year i will be returning as a paying customer. Without their knowledge i have given them a plug on this website. I don't feel like i owe them anything, i am not affiliated with them, but i like to ski and i liked their organization, and obviously a free ski holiday is the cats ass. I keep in contact with our guide through occassional e-mails. and that's about it. besides that i like off piste and would am looking for other holidays outside of the alps.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
letitsnowletitsnowlots wrote:
no, just like to give a plug to an organization i thought deserved one. i did win a free trip with them last year i'll admit that and became friends with our guide. So maybe i am a bit biased but who isn't. Besides that i am looking to go off piste in Northern Europe or somewhere else in NA and am looking for ideas. If you got one i'll take it if not then why post anything?

So you didn't so much happen upon them but were given a free trip? The guide is a mate. Notable that you don't talk about resorts or specifc places you are interested in despite your previous experience in Europe. If something smells like spiced ham it usually is. First time poster first time plugger. Forgive my cynicsm.

Re-read your first post - doesn't look much different from "Hi folks I've just got a great NokiaXXXXX from Spam Phones R US" in syntax to me.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
avoid them then, it makes no difference to me. I have skied off piste in Chamonix and around Verbier. In Canada i skied off piste around Kicking Horse and Lake Louise. In New Zealand around the Craigieburn Valeey. It's a big wide world out there but there are also a crapload of people and i like to avoid them when i am skiing. So i am interesed in places out there that most people don't know about. I want the pow to myslef.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There are many many resorts in the interior of BC, away from the crowds of Whistler and Banff. What's so special about what CPA offer?

I ski BC most winters (about 12 trips in the past 7 years), but in none of them have a felt any need to visit Whistler, or Banff, or go with a tour operator such as CPA (just like I feel no reason to be a customer of Crystal, Thomson et al).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Give the guy a break... As for the states, I'd probably say Jackson Hole and some places in Alaska but I don't know much so can't reaaally help you out a lot.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
true enough there are loads of resorts. for me i don't feel that i have the skills to go off piste and into the backcountry without getting myself lost or killed in an avalanche. i require someone who knows what they are doing and like to have local knowledge when i go to an area. if you have acquired those skills then good on you, i wish i had the experience.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
letitsnowletitsnowlots, Sorry if we've got off on the wrong foot and you are indeed genuine but you come on here give 2 plugs on different threads for a commercial organisation in your first 2 posts then react shirtily when you get called on it.

I'm still not sure how lots of combing through the internet to find the highly praised mob equates with winning the trip on extreme channel. Big coincidence maybe? So Lake Louise counts as a place most people don't know about? Tell that to the population of Alberta and at least 50% of British punters who've ever skied in North America.

Stick around though and you might convince me. wink No seriously I mean it there is a wealth of knowledge on here and people to point you in the right direction. And if you did come on here with the intent of spamming stick around and share some of your knowledge rather than acting the ingenue - it'll work better for your business in the longer term.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hey fatbob, i can see reason for you being cynical looking back it was maybe not wise. i just sent an e-mail through their website telling them the internet is pissed at the company because i was plugging it all over the place. maybe no free trips this year, ha. Lake Louise is well known, but resorts such as Kicking Horse, whitewater, red, fernie, and this year Revelstoke are not well known. yeah the resorts have people but a lot of tourists don't know about them and stick to banff and whistler. i recently discovered this and am looking for other small resorts which other people might of gone to, even better if there is good off piste and backountry, and someone to show me around and not get me killed in the process. and i can't afford heli and catskiing.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
letitsnowletitsnowlots, Do a bit of a search and you'll find plenty of discussion of the above places even on this relatively Eurocentric website - if you were talking about places like Terrace and Smithers, touring in Roger's Pass etc then I'd understand it a bit better. As for Europe - rock up in just about any resort, find the guides office and go and enjoy in relative safety. Resorts or Trips a good start for inspiration.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lake Louise is well known, but resorts such as Kicking Horse, whitewater, red, fernie, and this year Revelstoke are not well known. yeah the resorts have people but a lot of tourists don't know about them and stick to banff and whistler.

That is laughable. Inghams alone sends around 5,000 Brits to Fernie each winter. And has done for the past 8 winters.

Spend some time on here as already stated and do a web search for resorts big and small in Oregon, Washington State, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and Utah.

In those 7 states there are over 50 resorts from mom & pop operations such as Turner Mountain, Montana to full on megalopolis' like Vail, Colorado.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
true enough there are loads of resorts. for me i don't feel that i have the skills to go off piste and into the backcountry without getting myself lost or killed in an avalanche. i require someone who knows what they are doing and like to have local knowledge when i go to an area. if you have acquired those skills then good on you, i wish i had the experience.

hey dude, no one in north america goes 'off piste' - and remember they don't like the French in the US. Laughing

You're either an in-bounds skier (on or off trail) or you go backcountry, which you want. Some good outfits in Snowbird/Alta, Sun Valley and the Wallowas in Oregon that friends go with, but don't know their names. There are many more. Google is your friend ...
snow report
Perhaps letitsnow.... needs an Avy class to bump up the skill and comfort level for the off-piste/backcountry and yes they are still french fries and randonee is still french for can't tele. Madeye-Smiley I do agree with the other posts there are several small areas with good to great backcountry and will not list them out of fear of the mob.
latest report
It seams the the mere name "letitsnow" riles people!
snow conditions
letitsnow wrote:
It seams the the mere name "letitsnow" riles people!
Shocked Laughing
snow conditions
Crikey, if this ISN'T spam, letitsnowletitsnowlots would be justified in feeling miffed at the welcome he's received.
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
Crikey, if this ISN'T spam, letitsnowletitsnowlots would be justified in feeling miffed at the welcome he's received.

If it isn't spam, as a pedant, can you explain the curious change in story between his first and second posts on this thread and the very odd syntax of the opening post (incidentally simultaneously a plug was posted to a sticky in Trips wink ?
snow conditions
fatbob, I agree. It's pink and wobbly and SZK is not attached to it...
ski holidays
fatbob, I guess you must be more used to spotting these things than me, I hadn't noticed those details. You're probably right, I just wasn't sure.
stoatsbrother, Shocked
snow report
This is Chuck Gorton, owner and lead guide of Canadian Powder Adventures. My company has taken a bit of a beating on this post and i am here to defend it as well as answer any inquiries. I will also be setting up a post giving advice on backcountry skiing, avalanche safety, and skiing in general in Western Canada. You can reach me directly at info@canadianpowder.ca.

In regards to the above plug, i had no prior knowledge but of course appreciate any positive plugs. If the above "plugger" is who I suspect it is he did come on a free ski vacation and has apparently been in contact with his guide, which was not me. That is all of the information I have.
latest report
Experts draw near! Genuine or utterly disingenuous?
snow report
Chuck Gorton, Welcome to Snowheads. snowHead

You will understand that when someone shows up on this forum for the first time and immediately launches into promoting one particular company on more than one thread, there is a degree of cynicism in those who look on. There are weekly attempts by those who wish to promote their companies to slip under the radar and appear impartial advocates of the product they are pushing.

The etiquette on this forum appears to be to get to know people first, chat in a friendly manner about things and then, if a question or a thread arises in which you might have some experience, post accordingly but declaring an interest.

letitsnowletitsnowlots, - who everyone accepts is not linked to you, weighed straight in plugging your outfit from his first post. Not your fault, and I cannot see anyone kicking your outfit.

Anyway - nice to know about your outfit. I would certainly be interested in contacting you next time I am out in Lake Louise or KH. I will be in Fernie in February, so not really your way this year.
snow report
Stoatsbrother

Thanks for the welcoming. I understand the cynicism and am myself not familiar with the going ons of how this site operates, as it appears neither was/is letitsnowletitsnowlots. I respect that forum sites do not want spam and like to keep the conversations unbiased and on track. I also agree with you and others that letitsnowletitsnowlots was out of line and should not of gone into instant plugging of my company. I look forward to being able to participate in different forums and hopefully being able to contribute through my knowledge of skiing, snowboarding, avalanche safety, and Western Canada.
snow conditions
Welcome to snowHeads Chuck Gorton snowHead

I don't see anyone beating up on your company on this thread as no-one knows it! But as stoatsbrother says, we can be a bit cynical and like interests to be declared up front. Good luck and hope to see more of you on snowHeads Very Happy
ski holidays
Chuck Gorton, welcome to a fellow Gorton Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ah Gorton. One of only last names where you have to spell it after every time you say it, at least in N.A.
ski holidays
Welcome Chuck. I don't think we've met even though I spent two winters in Golden (2001/02 & 2002/03). I was running the IN THE POWDER programme at Kicking Horse.

Mike Taylor ran one of the Recreational Avalanche Courses I provided as part of the programme, and I can highly recommend him.

If his knowledge, professionalism, and customer service is indicative of your company then I would advise snowheads to check you out.
ski holidays
Thanks Mike Pow. Besides being a good friend (and co-owner of a house) Mike Taylor is one of our main guides. He still works at Kicking Horse now and then with the rest of his time split between us and chatter creek catskiing. He still works in Chile during our summer. Apparently it has been an amazing winter down there. It seems unlikely that we didn't meet at some point. You are in Japan now? I hear there is some great skiing in that part of the world, especially two seasons ago.
snow report
Please pass on my regards to Mike when you speak with him next. Real name is Mike Richards.

Yep.

Based in Niseko Hirafu.

Terrain is nowhere near as good as Kicking Horse - my personal number 1 resort that I've skied anywhere in the world - but the snow makes Rogers Pass and Chatter Creek look ordinary.

And that is why I'm here for my second winter. wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy