Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Am I doing it right?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
^^ Too right snowHead

^ Too right snowHead

Wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mosha Marc,

As Roga says H11LLY has managed something like 80 days this year, mainly at Cairngorm. If I lived in Aveimore, was retired, and was as daft as Helen about skiing I could easily manage the same. This last season , if I'd been local I'd have been tempted to get up there some afternoons with my XC kit to get some training in at the top. Cairngorm had pretty continuous (time wise) cover last season in the top bowl which would have been ideal for some skate training, and midweek would have been quiet enough that I wouldn't have got in the way of many people. If (when) we get some decent lower cover in the Clash or hopefully even more local to me I want to get out in the evenings afterwork ton my XC kit. Last year I only managed that on a couple of occasions.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dave Horsley, roga, interesting. So you get between 40 or 80 days a season, depending on how hard you're prepare to work at it.

Please don't think I was trying to belittle the skiing up there (at least I've been up and tried it), but my "flippant post head" had stuck on default.

Posting when you get in at 3.00am doesn't help either.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's our culture. Being English means spending money on the latest and greatest ski gear before we have learned to ski properly. Wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mosha Marc,

To be fair, to some extent it depends waht you are willing to ski on and in what conditions. AFAIR last year Cairngorm had skiable snow from mid December to late April, plus there were days early in the season when there was (briefly) snow to ski on but no open lifts. Later in the season there were a number of snowfields that were skiable (giving a longer vert than any of the UK fridges) but you'd 1) have to walk up as the closed system was running on the train 2) no uplift on the run, so you'd have to skin back up for the actual runs. Still not a bad option for a nice spring or early summer day. I've done it on a couple of occasions and I live a couple of hours drive away. The big problem (for CML) last year was that the snow was often confined to the top bowl and the Cas and a short walk was required to midstation. Also the weather wasn't brilliant, it was often too windy to run uplift, at least 28days were lost to high winds last year.

I managed 10 days last year, 27 days the year before. If I was local I'd have managed more last year, but as it is a 2 hour drive for me I didn't bother on a number of marginal weekends - trained on rollerskis instead.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mosha Marc wrote:
Dave Horsley, roga, interesting. So you get between 40 or 80 days a season, depending on how hard you're prepare to work at it.

Yeah, I think it's fair to say you'd need to work at it to get that many but it's feasible to get a good many during the season.
Quote:
Please don't think I was trying to belittle the skiing up there (at least I've been up and tried it), but my "flippant post head" had stuck on default.

No worries, there are people in the central belt of Scotland who are pretty ignorant about the amount of skiing that can be available in Scotland so it's no surprise that there are some further south. It does get a wee bit annoying sometimes though so forgive us for redressing the balance.
Quote:
Posting when you get in at 3.00am doesn't help either.

LOL, I can relate to that Wink

BTW, Cairngorm webcams are showing the first snows of the season today - just a skiff but a decent one at that and apparently there were blizzard conditions this afternoon for a time and it's apparently pretty cold up high snowHead

Just to add here's a photo taken up there today
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy