Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Elan skis for me?

Poster: A snowHead
Many of you may have seen that I'm getting seriously interested in the 1/2 price Elan skis on the other thread.

I have just spotted the possiblity of the White Perla in a 160 as well as the Wave Magic in a 160 - any thoughts as to which is best for me (please feel free to post here or in the other thread)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just out of interest, is there a deadline to the availability of these cheap Elans? It would be unfortunate to finally decide which ones were right for you only to find there were none left.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, Admin posted into the other thread and didn't say that they weren't available anymore - he may have done so if the offer was recinded?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum wrote:
rob@rar, Admin posted into the other thread and didn't say that they weren't available anymore - he may have done so if the offer was recinded?

I've no idea - might be worth checking with Admin before you commit?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, Haven't you bought them yet? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Of those two, the White Perla, depending on weight you may want to consider the 168.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spyderman, Me? Rush into things? Look at how long it took me to buy the boots - a nights sleep and I'll decide tomorrow which to have - at the moment I've already decided to have a pair if they're still going.

comprex, unfortunately there are no 168's on offer
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, too short for weight may mean problems later on hardpack.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
comprex, I'm around 90Kg Embarassed Embarassed for 174cm height but the womens skis don't go longer than 160 in the offer.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well, I really liked the Wave Magic in 160. But I'm 5' 6", eight and a half stone, and have been skiing for considerably longer than Megamum.

So I guess that's no help at all then rolling eyes Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
comprex wrote:
Megamum, too short for weight may mean problems later on hardpack.

Megamum is by no means an aggresive skier. I think the length will be fine. I'd be more worried about her going too long.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The 168 WP has only a 13.8 turn radius; I don't see that as a hindrance in lessons. The 160 WM would probably work better for grip than the 160 WP, at 90kg the 168cm M666 is actually very attractive. She could keep that ski for years. Other than that, none of the skis in the listing strike me as particularly appropriate.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

M666 is actually very attractive

but only if you've got a deep wallet - bindings would be extra!! Sad

I got this from the web:

Manufacturer's Description of the Elan M666:

"This freeride all-mountain ski is a serious workhorse with plenty of tip and waist for powder or crud but also enough stability to land in park terrain. Packed with Elan‘s Racing Sidewall technology enhanced edge grip."

Skiing all the mountain and playing in the park doesn't really sound like me does it?

I've asked Admin how to proceed with a 160 Wave Magic unless folks now give me howls of anguish for picking the wrong ones
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum wrote:

Skiing all the mountain and playing in the park doesn't really sound like me does it?

Bah, sales literature for small people; I've seen your video and I know two women your size and ski level who do very nicely on it.

PS don't forget Elan include the tip and kick-up tail in the ski length so the snow contact length is noticeably shorter than advertised.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum wrote:
comprex, I'm around 90Kg Embarassed Embarassed for 174cm height but the womens skis don't go longer than 160 in the offer.

You're really "bloke size". Go ahead and get the bloke's skis.
latest report
Gotta go with comprex's reasoning. A ski that will go through any reasonable improvements in technique, be good all over ...and he has seen the ski in use with like for like. Sounds better than a punt on a ski kind of blind ..!!
snow report
I'm about your size but quite athletic, I don't know how much sport you do apart from skiing. I have the mag 12s in 160cm which I love, they are very stiff but the shorter length means they aren't too much for me, they have been great in everything but bumps where I found them very hard work although this probably has as much to do with my technique as anything. I'm not a very good skier but have found that I like skis that are marketed above my level, they give me a lot more confidence to go faster as when I pick up speed they don't start jittering, I would pick a mans pair in 160 ( if they have any) or a fairly advanced female pair if you want them to last you at all

or.....
have you looked at sport conrad, my friend got a pair of recons from there for £200 in february so you might be able to get them even cheaper than that, that was including bindings.
ski holidays
Megamum, GSX RACE PRO in 178

Only kidding
ski holidays
Megamum, FWIW, I think the wave magic will do the trick for you at the level you ski now and take you a bit into the future.
When you get a chance to enjoy them, be sure to post a gear review!!!
snow conditions
Well, I've gone and done it - aren't I naughty Cool The cheque's in the post to Admin for the Wave Magic's. My Swiss friends are bound to tell me I've done the wrong thing and I should have carried on hiring. Common sense tells me they were right, and I feel a bit guilty for not taking their advice (and that of others on here), but there's a bit of me that coverts having a pair of skis (esp. brand new ones!!!). I don't suppose I'll use them until Feb 1/2 term next year, but I will bring them to VT as well so that will be two uses straight away.

I can't guarantee that I won't get a bit exicted when they turn up, but it may be short lived as I think DH is going to put them away for Crimble - but of course I'll need to check out that they are OK first wink snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

I'll need to check out that they are OK first

the mind boggles! You only have to stroke them and take them to bed. Then they will recognise you as master.
snow report
Megamum, Most importantly, do they match your ski wear? If not you'll have to buy new stuff!!! wink
snow report
marmalade, Well at the moment I don't know which top coat they've got. They are 06/07 ones. The current cover is white with blue flowers - which although they would match my boots isn't my preference as the flowers are a bit girly. I like the old style that I've seen sort of muted swirls, but I have to say that they aren't orange - so maybe new gear will be called for wink
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
Well, I've gone and done it - aren't I naughty Cool The cheque's in the post to Admin for the Wave Magic's. My Swiss friends are bound to tell me I've done the wrong thing and I should have carried on hiring. Common sense tells me they were right, and I feel a bit guilty for not taking their advice (and that of others on here), but there's a bit of me that coverts having a pair of skis (esp. brand new ones!!!). I don't suppose I'll use them until Feb 1/2 term next year, but I will bring them to VT as well so that will be two uses straight away.

I can't guarantee that I won't get a bit exicted when they turn up, but it may be short lived as I think DH is going to put them away for Crimble - but of course I'll need to check out that they are OK first wink snowHead

When I read this I almost spewed coffee on my computer.
You have friends who tried to talk you out of buying ski gear?
And more than that, you got a heck of a deal, on some great skis, and you "feel a bit guilty"?
Oh, Megamum, let me assure you..........this is a good thing you've done and you have nothing to feel guilty about.

Your skiing will improve greatly if you are on your own equipment consistently and you will know how it is maintained. Add to that, the fact that you got a bargain, on a quality pair of skis, and you should have nothing but a smile on your face and sweet dreams of wave magic!

Enjoy!!![/b]
snow report
SnowHot, Many, many thanks for the above. I can't wait until they arrive, but to save on PayPal costs I'm doing a cheque by snail mail - it's in our local post box and being a countryside box it won't go until Monday pm and once it arrives the cheque will need to clear, so I will have to enjoy the anticipation for a while.
snowHead
snow conditions
Megamum, the topcoat is much nicer than the current one. White with a little red logo

http://www.ski-depot.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SDO&Product_Code=elanwavmgc07
snow conditions
Megamum, congratulations
latest report
Oh, it is annoying to lose a post into the ether - I just did some typing - thought I'd hit the post button and it all vanished.

Oh, well off we go again.

Helen Beaumont, Thanks, thats the info. I'd been looking for. I'd seen that top coat and also the one with the blue flowers on the Elan website. I guess I'd have skied on the flowers as really its the ski thats important, but I have a huge and overwhelming preference for the topcoat in your picture - its much more business like and professional. I wonder if I will get those red and silver bindings too? I must admit the fact that bindings were included made the offer seem even better as from what I see even those can cost a pretty penny by themselves.

From what I've read the Wave Magics are an all round ski, that will let me learn to carve on a groomed piste and also be OK in looser snow (or that revered powder should I get some). I also think that they are more advanced ski that my current ability level, and that if I can learn to handle them now they should see me OK for a few years into the future.

This year, my holiday was a very icy affair, we had some new snow and often this had an icy top, we also had some very packed down snow that it was harder to make the edges work in, and then there were those wretched squares of ice formed when we had a very warm day and the snow was melting into slush - which then froze at night with the piste basher tracks worked through it to leave a surface like an upturned giant egg box the next day - it was soooo hard, the skis just clattered across the top - mind you I reckon it would have taken some extreemly hard sharp edges and a good driver to have made much impression in it. In any event if my Wave Magics are a Gen. purpose ski then this should suit me.

Someone said that waxing about once per weeks skiing seems about right - I guess the thing to do might be to get them waxed in resort whilst we are packing on the last day and bring them home and store them waxed ready for the next trip.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh, I've just noticed that some of you demoed a couple of pairs of these at MK in the summer. They do seem to turn don't they? I want ski's that will turn!!
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
SnowHot, Many, many thanks for the above. I can't wait until they arrive, but to save on PayPal costs I'm doing a cheque by snail mail - it's in our local post box and being a countryside box it won't go until Monday pm and once it arrives the cheque will need to clear, so I will have to enjoy the anticipation for a while.
snowHead

Tick Tick Tick!!!!

Helen Beaumont wrote:
Megamum, the topcoat is much nicer than the current one. White with a little red logo

http://www.ski-depot.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SDO&Product_Code=elanwavmgc07

This is surprising to me. While other ski manufacturers are finally stopping the "shrink it and Pink it, and slap flowers on it" Elan has started to "flower up". I'll contend that they are not going over the top on the graphix on these skis, but I was surprised to see flowers added to a line up that previously sold well without flowers.

I DO like the graphix on my Wave spice

Quote:
Helen Beaumont, Thanks, thats the info. I'd been looking for. I'd seen that top coat and also the one with the blue flowers on the Elan website. I guess I'd have skied on the flowers as really its the ski thats important, but I have a huge and overwhelming preference for the topcoat in your picture - its much more business like and professional. I wonder if I will get those red and silver bindings too? I must admit the fact that bindings were included made the offer seem even better as from what I see even those can cost a pretty penny by themselves.

I believe those are the system bindings that come on those skis. If so, you will really like those bindings.

Quote:
From what I've read the Wave Magics are an all round ski, that will let me learn to carve on a groomed piste and also be OK in looser snow (or that revered powder should I get some). I also think that they are more advanced ski that my current ability level, and that if I can learn to handle them now they should see me OK for a few years into the future.

From what I've read on here, I'd say that these are a touch advanced for you, but also forgiving enough to take you to the next level of skiing. I really don't think you'll be disappointed, and I'm confident that you'll advance, if for no other reason, because you'll be on the same equipment consistently and that will build confidence in your movements.

Quote:

Someone said that waxing about once per weeks skiing seems about right - I guess the thing to do might be to get them waxed in resort whilst we are packing on the last day and bring them home and store them waxed ready for the next trip.

You'll want to wax them or have them waxed thoroughly before you use them and wax after every 10-12 hrs of use, depending on the snow conditions. For instance, powder wears on wax less significantly than granular or corn snow.

I'm sooooo excited for you!!!
snow report
SnowHot, Thanks for loads of lovely info Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

You'll want to wax them or have them waxed thoroughly before you use them and wax after every 10-12 hrs of use, depending on the snow conditions. For instance, powder wears on wax less significantly than granular or corn snow

I honestly can't tell the difference of a well-waxed ski from one that's not been waxed all season. I suppose if I had myself timed going down a set of gates, I might have noticed. Granted, going fast was never my purpose, I learn to turn so I can slow down! Wink

As for protection of the base, I can't tell that either. Once they got waxed at the end of the season, they look quite nice and new again. Perhaps if I ski 40-50+ days a season, I might have noticed the difference 5 years down the road? As for now, since I only ski 20~30 days or so (and splist between 2 pairs of skis), my ski will likely go out of fashion before I have anywhere close to 100 days on them.
ski holidays
abc wrote:
Quote:

You'll want to wax them or have them waxed thoroughly before you use them and wax after every 10-12 hrs of use, depending on the snow conditions. For instance, powder wears on wax less significantly than granular or corn snow

I honestly can't tell the difference of a well-waxed ski from one that's not been waxed all season. I suppose if I had myself timed going down a set of gates, I might have noticed. Granted, going fast was never my purpose, I learn to turn so I can slow down! Wink

As for protection of the base, I can't tell that either. Once they got waxed at the end of the season, they look quite nice and new again. Perhaps if I ski 40-50+ days a season, I might have noticed the difference 5 years down the road? As for now, since I only ski 20~30 days or so (and splist between 2 pairs of skis), my ski will likely go out of fashion before I have anywhere close to 100 days on them.

I can not imagine how awful my skis would be if I weren't waxing them and deburring edges after I ski.
Most days, of course they don't need wax, and only a check of the edges.
But then, this is a topic for a different thread. wink
snow report
Megamum, seriously take SnowHot's advice re having your skis waxed when you get em. A good hot wax will do you for a week abroad, especially as you're not hoonin' it around at warp speed - yet. And a couple of hours at Xscape on their man made white sand is like a few days wear abroad.

I reckon that abc must only weigh 6st & ski at walking pace to get away with that waxing regime.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy