Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

500 Scientists: Global Warming is Not Manmade

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
AxsMan wrote:
Diarmuid, If they can't predict the weather 10 days out with any accuracy, why should I accept that they can predict the next 10 years, or 20 or 50? Confused

LOL if impending doom is on the 180hr GFS chart you can be sure it will never happen.

My 2p's worth....
Just sat and watched another BBC News report about ice shinking faster than anytime in the last 30yrs. I really wish they could report rather than sensationalise for a change, its getting to be like watching the News of the World rolling eyes

it's probably getting warmer, it'll probably get cooler who knows? All I do know is the pressure to change our lifestyles and habits is immense and allows governments to tax away at every opportunity.

Funnily enough in this day and age I trust very few 'public' people, especially those who claim to be experts.

There are some more fundamental issues to resolve on polution and climate change before I think i can engage in the change fully...stubbon - yes, blinkered - no. I recycle, use public transport in the main and i have energy efficient bulb in some rooms but come blah blah blah I think before we ever reach a concensus on climate change, it will start getting colder again snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skinutter, did the Beeb mention the Antarctic ice pack at an all time high?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AxsMan wrote:
Diarmuid, If they can't predict the weather 10 days out with any accuracy, why should I accept that they can predict the next 10 years, or 20 or 50? Confused

I can't tell you what the weather will be like on Jan 10 2008 but I can tell you that it will be colder than today. Climate and weather are not the same
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
laundryman wrote:
skinutter, did the Beeb mention the Antarctic ice pack at an all time high?

Course not.... Laughing thats what i mean. They we talking about the northern shipping route being free from ice (apart from all the footage of bloody great icebergs). The media have a lot to answer for in this 24hr news society. it always used to be quality rather than quantity, i fear we have the latter these days with slack journalism causing more problems than anything
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Diarmuid, But can you say whether it will be colder or warmer than last Jan10th or the one before? and with what degree of certainty? and if it is warmer is that just 'natural' variation, or sunspot activity, or part of a long term trend? and if it's part of a trend, is the trend a result of human activity or was it happening anyway?

I don't believe all (or any of) the above can be answered with certainty.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Man will adapt to global warming... Thing which I don't get is why people are fighting about this whole debate, what it's doing is gearing governments to stay away from oil and find other energy sources, this can only be a good thing. Why is everyone fighting this whole debate? At the moment it's moving the world to a:

-less polluted
-more environmentally friendly planet
-less oil dependant nation, which is a whoooooooole lot more important than anything else because once oil peaks (if it hasn't already) things are going to look quite awful for all of us.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
I can't tell you what the weather will be like on Jan 10 2008 but I can tell you that it will be colder than today.

I wouldn't bet on that! It was -2c and snowing on the top of CairnGorm Mountain today! snowHead snowHead

In other related news I was chatting to a pupil at a High School in the Highlands who was telling me none of his mates are buying season tickets this year. Due to last year? No, apparently they got plenty days last season, but because they've had it practically drummed into them in school that it wont snow again with Global Warming. He said all they go on about is global warming....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Why aren't we discussing the wholesale murder of all bovinity?

Think of the feast we could have up the mountain after a hard day's skiing! Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Forget my last post, it is clearly a load of cowdoo... Embarassed Embarassed snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
AxsMan wrote:
don't believe all (or any of) the above can be answered with certainty.

So you "believe" that based on your knowledge and expertise of the subject you are in a position to disagree with people who have studied this phenomenon for 10+ years. I must say I am not as confident as you (engineering degree or not)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Diarmuid, Not everyone who has studied climate change agrees that it is caused by human activity. Do you believe that the questions I asked CAN be answered with certainty?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AxsMan wrote:
Diarmuid, Not everyone who has studied climate change agrees that it is caused by human activity. Do you believe that the questions I asked CAN be answered with certainty?

Not everyone I agree, but there is a consensus. And no, in science nothing can be answered with certainty. However if the consensus is correct, waiting for the certainty will result in a very costly outcome for us (and even more so for the poor/developing nations.)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Diarmuid, Or the temperature cycle will swing downward again and we'll all start worrying about 'global cooling' (Like they did in the 70's) snowHead

Many of the actions being proposed to reduce global warming will have immediate and very costly outcomes for us and even more so for the third world in terms of restricting their economic development and population. They can (and rightly do) argue that it's all right for the developed world to decide that development has gone far enough and needs to be reigned in, we've got our infrastructure, theirs is yet to be built.

IMHO it is not as simple as 'reduce C02 emissions - good, ignore them - bad'. All actions have consequences and not all the consequences of reducing C02 emissions (globally) are 'good'.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Diarmuid wrote:
And no, in science nothing can be answered with certainty.

The AGW conjecture is not comparable to (say) the laws of motion, thermodynamics or electromagnetism - areas where billions of observations show accurate quantitative agreement with theory.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy