Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St GERVAIS

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everybody snowHead

Did Anyone visit here last season, if so what was the snow like in january ??

as the wife is worrying there may not be much, and i cannot find much on their website about the snow fall last year.

Plus my french is none existant.

Thanks wink Mwah
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cookie monster, at least early in January last year, it was not great. However, I've been to Megève / St Gervais several times from mid-December to early January and have usually had moderate to good conditions, particularly later on.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Did Anyone visit here last season, if so what was the snow like in january
For most of January (not to mention February...) in much of the Alps, the snow was absolute cr*p. My niece went there, and had an absolute ball, came back totally addicted to skiing, but it was her first ever trip, and she had nothing to compare it to. But even she said the snow wasn't very good. I don't think lack of French would be a problem, unless perhaps you were trying to arrange a DIY holiday. You can look at historic snow records on the Ski Club website, but you need to be a member. Do you know St Gervais? It's fairly low. There are probably better places in January. But let's hope next season is better...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for info guys,

i meant the lack of french for looking on websites for the historic snow records wink

Pam w, i know its low,

but i got a week for £227 each for four of us, i need it to be cheap, and the wife is very very limited on time slots.

Thanks for the help think i will join Ski club now wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cookie monster, Les Contamines is a very short way from St G. (I imagine there's a bus), has a good snow record and a fabulous setting. The Evasion ski pass covers it. It would be worth at least a day in any circumstances, more if snow is poor in St G.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
cookie monster there are plenty of other places close by as well including Chamonix/Les Houches etc.

We've skied at least a couple of days around that area every Dec for the past 4 years and always found snow somewhere even if it wasnt perfect!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And there is always Les Contamines up the valley which is supposed to be a snow hole. The Tram upto Les Houches is good. The area is not about snow in the village it is more to do with how much snow there is 500mtrs higher IME.

I have been there plenty of times in Jan and earlier and can't recall a bad time.

Have they opened up the link over the Megeve from Les Contamines yet...always were talking about it when I was there..?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cookie monster, when are you going? The later in January the better. I echo the advice on Les Contamines. It's a great place to ski if snow around isn't perfect. I don't know St Gervais well, but I imagine some accommodation could be quite a long way from lifts or buses - something to check. If you are flexible about where you go you might pick up some good last minute deals nearer the time, in the quiet period. Alternatively, if you went DIY you should be able to find flights, a small apartment, and car hire, in most resorts for that kind of money.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Have they opened up the link over the Megeve from Les Contamines yet...always were talking about it when I was there..?

No, and I don't think it's coming any time soon.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT wrote:

Nope. At one stage, I think they were going to blast a tunnel for a funicular from Côte 2000 to the top of Contamines, but I think the Austrian disaster put the kybosh on that. I believe the latest plan is a low route, from St Nicholas to the bottom of the Contamines valley - you'd see the lifts/pistes from the St Gervais - Les Contamines road. Last I heard, they were tring to decide whether to prioritise that or additional snow making. Personally, I'd choose the latter, because the link would only ever be usable if there were already plenty of snow in both places, IMO.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I went to St Gervais in January the year before last. It was literally baking hot and the snow was rubbish. It's on my list of 'never-again's. We also went to Les Contamines one day and echo those above - it was much colder there so probably a safer bet. We then went on to La Clusaz, driving through Megeve, Praz sur Arly etc. Didn't seem to much snow anywhere until we reach La Giettaz, then it was like a winter wonderland.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mmm i think i may look else where: thanks guys
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

We then went on to La Clusaz, driving through Megeve, Praz sur Arly etc. Didn't seem to much snow anywhere until we reach La Giettaz,

Most of the time you don't see much snow driving along the Arly Valley; the south facing side of the valley, in particular, is often very green. Megeve rarely has much resort level snow. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that there is any problem up on the slopes. The same applies to the Chamonix Valley, or other low arteries. I skied Notre Dame and Praz sur Arly throughout January the year before last and there was no problem with the snow after the very first few days of the month. Last year it was a different story, of course.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spent a week in Le Bettex (above St Gevais) in March. Clearly wasn't a good year for snow but there was still enough to have plenty of skiing. SOme of the south facing slopes (say from Les Houche or down to Megeve) were brown fields but NF slopes were OK. We did get a reasonable fall in the week but temperatures stayed high so it quickly disappeared on the SF slopes.

We would go again but principally because we've found a friendly hotel in Le Bettex which is 5 mins from lift, hire shop, ski school and Jardin de Neige. This means if young kids you can drop them of for two hours and still get quite a few runs in before you need to pick them up. Unencumbered by little ones I'd go somewhere higher.

Others are right that there ishigh skiing with driving distance but you'd want your own car - the public transport options are a bit painful
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jedster,
I accept that you enjoyed your time there but I really can't understand anyone going there more than once when there are so much better resorts a stones's throw away.

I liked the town of St Gervais, nice market and ice rink but the skiing was dire! The only cold day it was so foggy you couldn't see your hand in front of your face.

cookie monster, I really think it would be a safer bet to go somewhere else if quality skiing is what you're after.
snow conditions
marmalade, you're choice not to go back, of course, but one week, beset by poor weather, isn't all that much to judge a fairly large ski area. Did you get up to Mt Joly or Côte 2000 at all?
ski holidays
laundryman,

Fair point, and I think that other parts of tha area might be better places to stay (Megeve, maybe) but even in good weather I don't think St Gervais would be great. We stayed up the hill for conveneience but even there the lift system was a pain (antiquated and slow), the facilities were nothing to write home about and the people weren't that friendly - all factors not affected by the snow conditions. I enjoyed my holiday there as the town was really nice (worth a day trip if you've got time) but on reflection I wouldn't recommend it for a skiing holiday.

I did Cote 200 but didn't get up Mont Joly due to children but Mr M. did and he said it was pretty good.
ski holidays
St Gervais average for last 14 years in January: (Upper slopes:lower slopes in cm, (weeks 1-4))

95:40 98:39 109:45 130:58

Last year:

71:36 75:24 70:15 81:26
latest report
Well, we're off here in February half term.......I'll let you know how it stacks up for us.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy