Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Howdy All,
Im thinking about a trip to Verbier in February, Never been there before and would just like to ask any opinions or reccomendations you might have, I have been to St Anton, Tignes, Meribel & Courchevel and would just like to see how it compares?

We were also thinking of Val D'isere...?!

Cheers all!

Dan
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think there are people who have been to verbier much more recently than myself (10 years I think since I was there). Excellent ski area. Nicer town than Tignes, Meribel, Courchevel, Meribel and Val d'sere. Lifts/ linkage not as good as troiss valless/ espace d'killy. substanially more piste km than st anton smaller than the other mentioned (espace killy altho a smaller area is much better coonected and accessible). Renowned for its off piste like st anton.

Courchevel a better resort, imho, if in the group you have beginners, or cautious intermediates. I very much enjoyed st anton last year for friendliness of resort and was pleasently surprised at prices. In all the others you are likely to be not so pleased. Good apres ski- I was interested 10 years ago; better than the French resorts. I thought St Anton was good value. there are places where you can get stung in verbier. No different than courchevel I suppose. I

If I had a fre choice where to go next season I'd prob choose veriber as I'd like to go back with more ski experience than I had then.

St Anton ski area more compact. Lots of accssible off piste and iteniaries etc. there are verbier experts / resident far better placed than me to cooment.

I've enjoyed my two trips to val'd sere. the ski area is great. The town I'm less fussed on. I'd sooner stay there tho than Tignes. Personal choice. Very easy to get over to the Tignes area and even its extremes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Verbier, Val d'Isere, Tignes, St Anton and Courchevel 1850 are all more or less on a par.

Whichever one you choose will be fine.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for your help guys!!! Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whitegold wrote:
Verbier, Val d'Isere, Tignes, St Anton and Courchevel 1850 are all more or less on a par.

Whichever one you choose will be fine.

The piste skiing at Courchevel generally is less extreme. The vast ski area is enjoyable although the trip to Val Thorens usually ivolves a fair amount of full throttle skiing.

What sort of skiing are you looking to do. Challenging piste skiing/off piste / challenging piste and inteniaries/ cruising on piste. The one resort you haven't mentioned that's on my wish list is Zermatt.

I agree with Whitegold (a rarity) they all have some very good points to commend them, None of them are the cheapest in the Alps though as I've said St Anton pleasently surprised me
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
some recent chit chat

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=703442&highlight=verbier#703442
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
iceman_louis,
It's a pretty big ski areas like the others on you list and if you enjoyed them the chances are that you will enjoy Verbier. There are one or two things to be aware of mainly noted above. The speed and capacity of the lifts are considerably less when you get to the far end of the system so the area is less tightly integrated compared with the French resorts.

A lot of the gentler skiing catches a fair bit of sun so the resort is probably not as good as the others for early intermediates as the best snow is often on the steeper slopes and the gentler slopes may have difficult snow.

The prices are in line with places like the three valleys so it can be expensive but probably no more so than Val d'Isere.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I love Verbier...I should do since we have a shack there.

However...DO NOT GO if you have any total, first-time beginners.
Come back another time when they have a week or two under their belt.

Don't take that to mean you need to be advanced, you don't.
The total beginner area is not at all connected to the rest, and on the mountain there are a couple of key linking runs that are just that bit too much for first-weekers.

All good on your list though. I'm just pleased to see that you have noticed that there is life beyond France.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rungsp wrote:
Don't take that to mean you need to be advanced, you don't... I'm just pleased to see that you have noticed that there is life beyond France.

I would second that, I am not advanced, but nifty-ish intermediate and had an absolutely fantastic week in Verbier in March. There was loads of variety and I found the whole experience more pleasant and cheaper than skiing in the 3Vs (not that I dislike the 3Vs.) The good value to be found in Switzerland was a revelation, after having spent so many years avoiding it on the grounds of expense.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Hurtle, 6 day lift pass for 220km of skiing (inc reciprocal days in 2 other places with another 200km if you're big into your k's), £95, 07/08 price wink

Admittedly Verbier ain't quite that cheap.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dan100 wrote:
d then.

St Anton ski area more compact. Lots of accssible off piste and iteniaries etc.
The immediate St Anton/St Christoph/Stuben area, perhaps, but the skiing (especially off-piste skiing) fairly naturally includes Zurs and Lech, and places miles down the valley from Stuben.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowball wrote:
dan100 wrote:
d then.

St Anton ski area more compact. Lots of accssible off piste and iteniaries etc.
The immediate St Anton/St Christoph/Stuben area, perhaps, but the skiing (especially off-piste skiing) fairly naturally includes Zurs and Lech, and places miles down the valley from Stuben.

That's very fair and Zurs/ Lech are v. enjoyable places to ski. Even Lech with so called inflated prices, I had one of the best value lunches I've had in the alpes £10 for barbecued king prawn and salad garlic bread and a beer.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy