Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ladies - do you wear blokes gear?

Poster: A snowHead
I know that for some smaller ladies - ladies specific ski and other outdoor gear must be very useful, but I wondered how many ladies find themselves resorting to chaps gear. I have a lot of mens outdoor sports gear - I find that often it is longer in the arms, body and legs than ladies gear - which suits my frame better, it often seems to be better made - stronger, likely to more long lasting, giving the impression of better technical performance. I will grant that it is often heavier, but again I'm not petite and can carry this.

I guess that there are not many situations where men wear ladies gear (just wait for the comments on that statement rolling eyes ), but I wondered am I alone in finding mens gear more suitable for me than ladies specific gear, and does it really matter on the slopes - do folks look at you (a lady) and think - 'that's mens gear she's wearing' or does it all just blend in? I don't think I'm bothered if they do, but I'd kind of like to know that I'm not alone.

Any comments?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, frequently - as per your problems - legs & arms not long enough. There are a couple of companies who make the legs long enough - link coming up...

http://www.snowandrock.com/shop/activity/ski/clothing/pants/products/SCH0024.htm

how can anyone resist salopettes called 'explosive pants'. perfect.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rpft, The trouble is despite the reduction companies prepared to cater for us longer legged ones also assume that we've also got the longer wallet to buy them Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum, it's not "blokes' gear", it's unisex that may seem pedantic but really isn't as it defines the size of the expected market and therefore economies of scale.

When you consider that the category of "not petite" ladies also includes the ladies that cannot wear unisex because it isn't cut remotely full enough at the hips or in the bosom, you'll also notice that the category of "not petite ladies who can wear unisex gear but prefer distinctly feminine styling" is a small, value-added and therefore cost-added segment.

And the smaller ladies do quite well with childrens' gear.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

it's not "blokes' gear", it's unisex that may seem pedantic but really isn't as it defines the size of the expected market and therefore economies of scale

My experience with looking a HUGE number of on-line ski clothing stores suggests that this 'Unisex' line doesn't play out in practice. The vast majority of on-line catalogues clearly state Mens and Womens sections separately. I don't think I can recall seeing a claim for a 'Unisex' range once, and all the non-women specific gear does do up on the mens side.

I do take the point about other aspects of the feminine form though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum wrote:
Quote:

it's not "blokes' gear", it's unisex that may seem pedantic but really isn't as it defines the size of the expected market and therefore economies of scale

My experience with looking a HUGE number of on-line ski clothing stores suggests that this 'Unisex' line doesn't play out in practice. The vast majority of on-line catalogues clearly state Mens and Womens sections separately. I don't think I can recall seeing a claim for a 'Unisex' range once, and all the non-women specific gear does do up on the mens side.

That's the pervasiveness of backforming for you: If there's a "women's" the others must be "men's". Happens with skis and boots too.

In catalogues you see labeling and advertising calculated for quicker sale, no matter what the designer was thinking.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When I see the same clothing in both men and women cut, they're often the same price. I also found no difference in quality either. Though more often than not, there's really not much difference in their "cut" either, except in sizing and color. Sizeing I can convert quite well. Though the sometime additional color often appeal to me.

Clothing that are ladies only, I don't often buy them either due to they often being more expensive, or "fashion over function" which translate into lesser quality. Example of the latter being often the lack of POCKETS!

I'm no pixie. But I do sometimes find myself browsing the chilrens section. But then again, I found children's gear often lack quality as well. (I guess they assume the kids will grow out of them?)

I have one pair of "ladies" ski and one pair of "unisex" ski.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I have one pair of "ladies" ski and one pair of "unisex" ski

abc, I take on board the fact that you have probably bought them for different purposes, but apart from the top cover is the ladies ski noticeably different for the ladies market i.e in its weight for its size, ease of flex etc. than the the 'unisex' one. Also, I guess the bindings are mounted a little bit forward on the ladies skis - how about the 'unisex' ones - Just idle curiosity
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have had mens gear in in the past, but arms and legs too long, and to get the chest to fit far too big in the shoulders, but then I became less lardy so invested in ladies spyder (which I luuuurve) and its a good incentive not to get lardy again!.

I don't care on boots - whatever the bootfitters advise at the bootfitting event. I do want skis - wave magic or burnin' luvs, which are both ladies skis but I hate the girly graphics on the wave magic - I'm going to try and remain objective when I actually part with the cash.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, The boss says she doesn't mind wearing mens clothes......but draws the line at orange Shocked wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing Laughing

The futures bright................the futures Orange!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The question should be 'blokes do you wear ladies gear?' wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When I was in the market for a new pair of motorbike race boots I was going to take a look at the womens model (identical apart from the fit) as I have a slim ankle and narrow low volume foot. But then found that Sidi did one with an adjustable rachet on the heel and forefoot and got a pair cheap at the NEC show. Sports stuff - as long as it ain't pink it wouldn't bother me what sex it was designed for as long as it fitted and performed well.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum wrote:
Quote:

I have one pair of "ladies" ski and one pair of "unisex" ski

abc, I take on board the fact that you have probably bought them for different purposes, but apart from the top cover is the ladies ski noticeably different for the ladies market i.e in its weight for its size, ease of flex etc. than the the 'unisex' one. Also, I guess the bindings are mounted a little bit forward on the ladies skis - how about the 'unisex' ones - Just idle curiosity

Well, my first pair of ski was a "ladies" model. So, the question was rather, would I bother with unisex model when there's so many lady specific one to choose from? Also price-wise, there's little discernable difference between the two types of skis.

So to answer your question. I only demo-ed lady's ski for my day-to-day ski. I'm not petite. But I'm quite skinny so majority of the "bloke's" ski are too long for my weight. While with the ladies ski, there're shorter ones to choose from, which make the demo-ing process much easier. I quickly found one to my liking and that's the end of the story.

As for the other "unisex" ski? There's just happen to have this ski that caught my fancy and there were no equivalent ladies version of it. I bought it without demo-ing. Though in truth I didn't really buy it blind. I've hired unisex ski and found some of them ski very similar to ladies skis. The main difference being the choice of appropriate size for my weight. If the mounting point of the binding makes any difference, I certainly couldn't tell.

During my demo-ing, I was given skis that has such horrible graphics (flowers!) I was glad I didn't like them!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I prefer ladies gear clothing wise - the men's gear generally doesn't go small enough, and isn't "fitted" in style, which I like. Also use women specific boots, as they are designed with the differences in womens' lower leg in mind. But I use unisex skis.
latest report
rpft wrote:
Megamum, frequently - as per your problems - legs & arms not long enough. There are a couple of companies who make the legs long enough - link coming up...

http://www.snowandrock.com/shop/activity/ski/clothing/pants/products/SCH0024.htm

how can anyone resist salopettes called 'explosive pants'. perfect.

I've had the "long" Schoffel bottoms previously and they're really not very long - only about 31-32" inside leg (I have a pair to sell, if anyone's interested). So had to look elsewhere - at the time, Eider were doing ones with a 34" leg - just about OK for me. Blokes' ones do indeed come up longer in the leg but they don't fit very well as they aren't shaped like women's ones. The other problem was that many shops don't stock longer lengths so of course you have to get them online or mail order. Fortunately, I found the likes of Snow and Rock and Lockwoods very amenable to getting a tape measure out and telling me over the phone the inside leg measurement, thereby avoiding the very tedious prospect of various pairs of "long" trousers appearing in the post that weren't long at all.

However, I'll put my hands up to buying a man's jacket last season because I couldn't find a ladies one that a) was long enough to stop my ar$e freezing b) didn't leave me with a gale blowing up the sleeves. The fit didn't seem to be such a problem but for others, like trousers, the jacket shaping may be more of a factor. Purchase of this much easier as there always seem to be loads of small men's jackets left in the shops
snow report
I'm not very tall (5'4") so the men's stuff can swamp me, although I'd agree it does seem a better quality with more pockets/gadgets.

But men's trousers are never going to work with a great gaping hole around the waist to let snow in.

Wouldn't touch men's ski boots - my calves will not fit in men's boots, point.

Skis - pfff - people keep telling me to give women's skis a whirl but I"m not convinced. I want substance not a frickin' rose pattern! rolling eyes
snow report
The cut of mens clothes just doesn't fit me. No shaping in jacket, arms too long, if trousers fit round the waist they don't have hip room. The typical ladies size fits me just fine Little Angel

But nothing wrong at all with wearing men's clothes if that's what fits you - why not and who else should care? Very Happy
snow report
I have to have children's sallopettes due to my short legs!!!!

I do know of a couple of tall ladies who've both had mens gear & have been quite happy with it.

As long as it fits & does the job I don't think anyone is bothered altho' I am quite proud of my age 15-16 sallopettes especially after a couple of beers!!! Laughing
ski holidays
All my gear is mens apart from my boots, pole and helmet.
I found the ladies boots fitted much better round the heel than the same model of mens boots and I got the poles and helmet cause they looked pretty Smile
I prefer mens clothes though as I don't really like fitted ski stuff, I also find that many ladies jackets are quite short and fitted which to me just isn't comfortable when doing something sporty, all my MTB stuff is mens for this reason as well. Also I hate pink and am not a fan of pastel colours in general which seem over represented in womens clothing.
I demoed lots of skis and always prefered the mens version to the womens of similar skis eg the crossfire to the burning love, the recon to the lotta luv. I don't know why this would be when comparing skis with identical dimensions in an identical size Puzzled I know they are not the same ski but I consistently prefered the mens
latest report
I don't like men's stuff because of the long arms/big chest thing, and i like my clothes to fit the 'feminine form'. however, I get really frustrated with the lack of technical clothing available in women's styles. For example I was after a pair of goretex sallopetes last year and could only find a few ladies ones which were all wrong. There is much more choice at the high end for blokes stuff. I don't like getting wet but I don't like looking like I'm wearing my bofriend's gear either.
latest report
I have a pair of ladies ski pants. Does that count?

XL and bright orange, or they were. Two seasons use mean they retire this year, not so bright and very well worn. Mad

I like wearing womens clothing when I'm skiing.

Twisted Evil
snow conditions
I have Ar'teryx women's clothing. As far as I can tell the technical spec is the same as the men's and similar muted colours. But with a women's cut, arm length etc.
ski holidays
samharris, my inside leg is 33 & a bit, but the schoffel ones were fine Puzzled v. strange. I prefer the fit of girls trousers though - but a girls jkt would never fit me. it's tricky. New business idea perhaps wink
ski holidays
I love guys clothing - you're less likely to run into another girl wearing it, and if you meet a guy with the same jacket/pants then you get instant cool points Very Happy Haha.
Besides, the designs are often cooler and less pink and girlie.
ski holidays
Urgh to the pastel pink sh*t they throw at us! I recently saw on a women's forum "where can I buy ski gear? I don't care what it's like as long as it's pink!" Very Happy

I'd like proper colours and I'd like longer jackets but I'd like those jackets to go in at the waist. PLEASE!

The last time I wore a man's jacket someone said "excuse me sir". Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Alexandra, absolutely. I don't mind acid colours - but pastels Shocked My kit is all black Cool although I have just bought a burnt orange flecee, just for a change rolling eyes
snow report
I wear mens stuff because girls stuff just doesnt fit right,I would love to be able to go and buy a girly outfit but I cant even get jackets long enough in the arms in normal clothing never mind ski clothing !

So I wear a tnf mountain jacket and tnf pants but I really need to upgrade this year as my jacket is now 13 years old and my pants are patched to bits but the thought of having to try it all on is so depressing and I am not even that tall only 5ft 10.

I also have mens boots but that is because it was a desperate time at the end of the season and no girly ones stiff enough left but they are ok and I do need some new skis but again thats all confusion
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen LS, Join the long armed brigade - 5'9" here and I've got rather broad shoulders which makes many womens tops difficult from that perspective too. If I get the arms long enough they are often still tight across the shoulders and I can't lift my arms up rolling eyes Mens gear always seems that much wider across the shoulders. Mens gear also seems to fit OK in the chest because unfortunately Sam Fox I ain't!!
ski holidays
I am fairly small with small-ish features so I prefer women's gear.
I, however, have a gripe and a question for the women's gear manufacturers/designers...............

If a woman 5'6" (168cm), 125 lbs(57 kg) is resorting to buy a size Large, then what on earth is a really large woman supposed to buy?

C'mon some consumer awareness would be appreciated! Very Happy
snow report
I have a confession, should i be lucky enough to have the company of a delightful young lady of a Saturday evening and then awaken with the charming certain young lady by my side the Sunday morning maybe feeling slightly flushed, before going to Mas, i would insist the sweet lady wear my Chelsea shirt before we(a'hem, i) rise for the day. Toofy Grin
snow report
Megamum, In total sympathy over the broad shoulder bit I am curvy probably curvier than sam fox if you know what I mean (dont want to get the boys too exicted Embarassed Embarassed But it is a nightmare nothing fits !

SnowHot, Well this is the problem with a large and then all the size 0 debate it would seem intodays society people have to strive to be tiny or accept that if they are small they will have to wear a label which says large and if like me you are "solidly"? built you are resorted to wearing mens clothes

but sometimes thats not a bad thing as they can fit better ............. in some places ?
ski holidays
SnowHot wrote:
I am fairly small with small-ish features so I prefer women's gear.
I, however, have a gripe and a question for the women's gear manufacturers/designers...............

If a woman 5'6" (168cm), 125 lbs(57 kg) is resorting to buy a size Large, then what on earth is a really large woman supposed to buy?

Men's wear, of course!

Call it sizing flattery? I fit into women's medium but I'm by no means medium build. I can also fit into men's small, though in reality men of my size would be REALLY small! Wink

So the naming of the sizes are biased so the buyer will feel better! After all, it's better a strong and big man buying a xxL shirt than to have the opposite, a smallish size man looking for a xs shirts!

Unfortunately, the same sizing psychology has been carried to the ladies wear, where large size isn't flattery at all. Still, it would save Linds from having to count how many x's there are before the s, had M really corresponds to "medium sized" women! Wink

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 15-09-07 17:31; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Its all very frustrating!
Lets face it, if you're trying to do something actively, like skiing, Fit is important for performance.
latest report
SnowHot, You're dead right about the sizing - a lot of my gripe is that the stuff just doesn't size up large enough - normally I'm left with nothing I can buy or else I'm buying a XXL just to get the shoulders right - not good for the psyche!!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 15-09-07 19:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Megamum, As I stated earlier, I have a smallish frame. wear size 6 pants, in my every day pants, then why do I wear a 10 or 12 ski pants?
I get a jacket to fit in the waist and length, but can't reach forward because the shoulders are too tight, so I end up going a size bigger to get comfy shoulders and feel like I'm swimming in the waist.

Clothing Manufacturers, now hear this....................Women have curves!!! Women who are active, have broader shoulders, because it is inheirant to the activity!!! We like to look like women, while we keep up with the Boyz!!!!

Gee, Megamum, you think they're going to hear my outcry? Laughing
snow conditions
I find womans jackets restrictive so always tend to buy mens. They are much more comfortable and don't restrict me when i'm skiing.
snow report
SnowHot, To be honest I don't think we're the only ones complaining and they haven't heard us up until now, but I don't know why this is. As I understand things womens average body frames are still changing with the times yet, most manufacturers still seem to be using sizing charts from the 1930's.

I have a long upper body and like a jacket to come down well over my waist and don't mind if it covers 1/2 my bum to boot (stops the drafts!). I also find trousers can be difficult to get the 'seat' deep enough from the waist. I too have curves (though not where I'd like 'em!!) and very few womens clothes 'full stop' fit me easily (though lycra was one hell of an invention).

Maybe we could get some sports clothing manufacturers to come along to the snowheads big events and have a measuring session and compare the results with their sizing charts. Women come in many different sizes!!
ski holidays
you want to try and buy cycling gear! XXXL is about a medium rolling eyes
snow report
SnowHot wrote:
Megamum,Women who are active, have broader shoulders, because it is inheirant to the activity!!!

ummm you may want to have a look at some photos of people like Lisa Ondeiki(sp??).... rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy