Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ANTI VIRUS etc, software

Poster: A snowHead
.... The Piste ? ... indirectly related .....! ... teneous I know, but it keeps me on here without catching the internet equivilent of MRSA ...

My Anti Virus software is coming up for renewal. I currently use Norton Internet Security which comprises;

Norton Protection Centre
Norton Internet Security
Norton Anti Virus
Norton Anti Spam
Norton System Works

I internet provider is BT Yahoo, which also provides limited Anti Virus protection.

I haven't had any major problems with Norton, but is there anything better out there ... ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Google AVG and donwload the free version.

Used it for years no issues. Mad to pay for anything in this day and age with lots of freebies out there. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I use trend pccillin Evil or Very Mad - I don't recommend it - slows pc down, consume loads of memory, auto updates and installs everday and sometimes locks up pc, one pc crashes a fair bit - i suspect the "anti" virus software. I don't like the interface, always popping up warnings even when you say don't.

I did use norton sometime ago, seem to remember it's a sod to deinstall properly.

Also interested in hearing other options.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use AVG which seems fine on my office PC and a product called Bit Defender on my laptop.

Bit defender seems good if you are traveling as it has built in firewall protection that seems to work well with the Windows Firewall. The only issue I had was the Anti Phishing/Spyware filter was a tad aggressive when I was setting trying to a 'local' development webserver. I knocked it back a notch and it was fine.

Our AVG sits behind a router/firewall so in theory has less to do.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Been using this for years, no problems, no cost and no bloat Smile

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

cheers,

greg
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BernardC, If you have BT Broadband, depending on which Option you have, you may well get Norton free anyway.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kaspersky, end of story. Norton is not my recommendation.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another vote for Avast! here.

As for Norton, rearrange these words into a well known phrase - "pole, wouldn't, barge, with, it, a, touch".

I have heard Soooo many astories about Nortion hogging resources, changing settings, and generally getting in the way.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Colin B wrote:
BernardC, If you have BT Broadband, depending on which Option you have, you may well get Norton free anyway.

Seriously over priced then Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yoda, Is this the one ... ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How about "don't bother"... I've never run anti-virus software and have never had a problem... just be careful about what emails you open and stuff you download.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BernardC, I think that one is the one Yoda is talking of. But it only has a free trial, while both Avast! and AVG are fully free for personal use. (There are links to both on the same page you linked to)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidof, I would be very surprised indeed if you don't have any viruses on your system, if you genuinely don't use any anti virus.

"Being careful" about what you download simply isn't enough, and hasn't been for a few years now.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BernardC, search on my user name on here, and include the word avast (or try firefox ) - there's a few threads where I've listed what you need.

As for Norton, they make great bikes. Would you buy a bit of software made by Harley Davidson?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof wrote:
How about "don't bother"... I've never run anti-virus software and have never had a problem... just be careful about what emails you open and stuff you download.

Pretty bad advice, go for AVG Anti-Virus and a firewall product also. Zone Labs do a free software firewall called Zone Alarm.
ski holidays
Always used AVG

plus Adaware and Spybot

All Free
ski holidays
My vote for Nod32. Have been using for 2 years. Fast, small and effective.
http://www.eset.com/
They have a free 30-day demo version.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
alex_heney wrote:
davidof, I would be very surprised indeed if you don't have any viruses on your system, if you genuinely don't use any anti virus.

"Being careful" about what you download simply isn't enough, and hasn't been for a few years now.

Well that depends. If you're behind nat on your router and running firewall(s), don't use outlook* or ie, you might be surprised. I run avg in addition to the above, but I can't remember the last time it caught anything.
snow report
Leith docks 1985? wink
snow report
 brian
brian
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing
latest report
I use AVAST on my laptop and everytime I switch the laptop on I have to wait for AVAST to stop spinning before I can do any work. Is there a way od stopping this?
snow report
boredsurfin, Get a modern laptop Toofy Grin

Seriously, Avast! does not normally take much processing power, even at startup, and you will only notice the internet usage if you are on a very slow connection.

I presume you don't have it setup to do a full scan every time you start it?

While I think it is probably possible to disable the checks for updates at startup, that really isn't a good idea.
snow report
alex_heney, I think it perfoms a check on the wiFi connection as wifi doesnt conect until Avast finishes Confused
ski holidays
brian wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

Well that depends. If you're behind nat on your router and running firewall(s), don't use outlook* or ie, you might be surprised. I run avg in addition to the above, but I can't remember the last time it caught anything.

True, but most people do use IE, and Outlook Express.

It's true that Avast! doesn't very often find anything at home. But when I rebuilt my laptop a couple of years ago, and then went online using my mobile phone via infrared as a modem (so 9.6K connection speed), while having forgotten to install Avast!, I had picked up dozens of instances of one virus, and a single instance of another within the first few hours - and on a 9.6K connection, I wasn't visiting any "dodgy" sites Happy

That was using IE6, but not Outlook Express (I use Forte Agent for both email and usenet at home). And NO downloads that I chose to make or accept.
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
alex_heney, I think it perfoms a check on the wiFi connection as wifi doesnt conect until Avast finishes Confused

Very odd. Mine does, when I use the laptop. [EDIT for clarity] That is it connects to Wifi before Avast! has finished its start up tasks[/EDIT]

I'm not sure how you can change that.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 5-09-07 15:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Another vote for AVG free version
ski holidays
 brian
brian
free avg is at http://free.grisoft.com
snow report
Bingo...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=686706&highlight=firefox#686706

(also read down for Yoda's suggestion of AntiVir, which I'm now using.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Another vote for AVG free version

And another. I've got a firewall built in, now, but used to use Zone Alarm. Plus I have Pest Patrol.
ski holidays
BernardC, I thought you wouldn't mind paying for it wink so I meant this one http://www.kaspersky.com/

Have a look here http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/120448/kaspersky-antivirus-7.html
snow conditions
brian wrote:

I'm just scanning my system with an antivirus with up-to-date signatures, so far Nada. I'll uninstall afterwards but will let you know if it finds anything interesting.

Okay, it came, it saw nothing interesting, it got unistalled.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 6-09-07 7:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I'd recommend AVG (free) and Zone Alarm for the firewall.

I haven't used Norton for years - stopped after it helped to mash a load of my files when it crashed my computer.

Browser wise I'd swear by Firefox/Mozilla, I swear *at* IE (particularly when I developed websites) and am not particularly impressed by IE7!!
latest report
BC,

For basic stuff, run Avast, Spybot and Adware...all free.

You could rebuild or partition your harddrive so you only have the O/S and the SP..I presume XP.. on the C:
If you pick up anything particuarly nasty, then you can format the partition with the minimum of fuss... it will still take you half a day unless you are sorted so you'd like to avoid this.

The above...and I have heard good stuff about AV..should keep you running well enough.

Some people make a point of re-formatting their sys pretty often anyway.

The thing about AV is that it is only as good as the updates and what it knows about anyway.

I wouldn't use Norton even if it was free, IMV
latest report
yet another satisfied user of AVG and ZoneAlarm,
snow report
I use avast and zone alarm on one pc and antivir and zone alarm on another. Antivir is the muts nuts for virus scaning but the free version doesn't scan e-mails rolling eyes
I have however got a 6 month free trial on the paid for version Very Happy
http://www.free-av.com/
snow report
AVG on some Avast on others. We have had both Norton and now MacAfee imposed on us at work. They both suck and I have always used AVG or Avast as well. Wish you could schedule spybot to run automatically too.
latest report
AVG, Zone Alarm, had Adaware and Spybot S&D but now MS Defender. Only adult users on desktop and my laptop. Kids allowed on other one, and every now and then I just spruce it up.
snow conditions
I know this sounds risky but I don't use anti-virus software. I occassionally use the online checkers and never had a virus. The main reason I do not use anti virus software is because it slows down my pc and causes system crashes. A virus checker is only good for old viruses. Now I am an IT techie and do not open attachments that are obvious trojans like .vbs .exe, .cmd etc etc. I don't download free software unless I know the source. If I was to write a virus maybe I would target the virus checking software. Don't waste your money buying virus checking software, I my mention they are worst than a virus.
snow report
BernardC, I hardly dare raise my head - actually bought Norton 360 having had other Norton products previously with no obvious problems. Still running XP not Vista on old PC but had a load of problems with 360 - have had to reinstall 3 times this week as it kept getting disabled and Internet Explorer would go too. Also kept backing up at 6pm nightly tho was set to once a month..... rolling eyes
May be I've done something stupid - Madeye-Smiley but I emailed Norton and got one of those 'blah blah' replies where they obviously either don't read your problem or don't have an answer so give the answers they have Shocked
latest report
slikedges wrote:
AVG, Zone Alarm, had Adaware and Spybot S&D but now MS Defender. Only adult users on desktop and my laptop. Kids allowed on other one, and every now and then I just spruce it up.

Last time I used MS Defender, it was not catching stuff that Spybot Search&Destroy was picking up. Has it improved?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy