Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kit - what's in and what's out for the new season

Poster: A snowHead
IN
Tune-ups for helmets with connectors for mowblie and walkie talkie (planned expenditure - should be covered by our credit at our local ski shop)
Otherwise nothing planned (but then most of the expenditure never is Sad - I must not spend money, I must not spend money!)

OUT
Quite a few things to go on eBay or here incl couple of pairs of im72w (1 x 156, 1 x 177) that just aren't being used any more and a couple of pairs of ski boots that could find a better home
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
T Bar,

I paid £144 for the Theta LT's.....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IN:

191 Scott P4's with Rossi Axial2 14's
Dakine Helipro pack
Oakley A-frames, Oakley Wisdoms (in black irid and hi yellow)

OUT:
Last seasons very bent out of shape poles

ON THE SHOPPING LIST BEFORE I GO: (deep breath)
Something 130mm waisted (Praxis or Lotus DPS 138...)
Something to mount Marker Dukes on to learn to AT with about 90mm waist (no idea what yet)
Marker Dukes
Skins for said AT skis
Barryvox Pulse, Shovel, Probe
Another Icebreaker thermal
New jacket/pants
Some form of strap releasing poles
Dakine Concourse to try and fit everything in
Tuning stuff from spyderjon

I need to keep saving Very Happy Get the feeling I've missed some stuff too!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JT,
I don't know which the LT's are so I'm not sure whether to scoff or be jealous Puzzled

I'm hoping that my sizing is right other wise I will have to ebay them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjs, I seem to remember you saying you don't race/train on plastic any more. I do and found upper body armour really very useful with much reduced elbow/shoulder bruising since I've started wearing it. If only I'd remembered to keep my arms in and roll during my penultimate fall, letting that protection do it's stuff, rather than stop myself with my hand, I may not now be encumbered by this £$%^ing cast Wink . I've also found it useful in a couple of spills on ice and rocky terrain. Of course it would be preferable to spend more time on my feet, but there are times when that's not the most obvious option.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
GrahamN, I raced and trained on plastic for 25 years before I stopped. Protection was always against impact with the poles, not with the ground.

I prefer freedom of movement over extra padding when I am skiing on snow too.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
T Bar,

The SV have the high waist and belt and the LT have a lower waist. The sizing is detailed very well on the official site and I can say that a standard large are 36 waist and 31 3/4 inseem...inside leg to us..!!

It isn't getting those prices that is the problem..it is getting them over here that will jack up the price, p&p and duty..!!!!

GrahamN, bad luck with the injury.

You should have tried on my NF pants as they are too big for me..
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rjs, sorry, my earlier comment sounded like I was implying you didn't know what you were talking about, but it wasn't - honest! But maybe there's just a different focus. With 25 years racing experience I suspect you don't fall too often. Those of us with considerably less do, and protection against the ground (particularly where it's ridged nature means there's less actual contact area to spread the force over) is pretty high up there for me - and we're trying to remove the excuses skimottaret is using to avoid getting into a 12-month-a-year training regime Wink .
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GrahamN, I didn't take your comment like that, people just didn't wear much padding until recently.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
OK, this is what the hard up mum will be doing this year:

IN

Second hand Spyder Jacket (to go with last years black Tchibo salopettes), Matching Spyder beanie hat for posing in
Box of Daily contact lenses - so I can wear last years goggles properly
Matching Tresspass Radium Jacket and Salopettes
If I get to the bootfitting - a pair of footbeds are planned for my boots
Edit - I forgot a electric boot drier so I have nice dry warm boots each day

(Note - 2 outfits as I often end up soaking wet after spending a lot of time on my backside)

OUT

My bargain Killy Jacket that was a bit on the short side, and I couldn't get it back waterproof again even with the Nikwax washing stuff - but I should keep nice and warm around the farm this year.
My Dare2Be jacket that I bought for general wear, but which I ended up skiing in last year when the Killy got soaked.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 12-09-07 21:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Out:
Spyder jacket
Oakley pants - soon to be sold as too warm for me
Atomic Sugar Daddy's - soon to be sold
Atomic SX-B5's - soon to be sold
Atomic Nomad Crimson's - soon to be sold but don't really want them to go Crying or Very sad
Deb's Burnin' Luv's - soon to be sold

In:
Arcteryx Sidewinder jacket
Arcteryx Minuteman jacket
High Society FR's & VIST bindings
VIST slalom ski & speedlock binding
Patagonia base layers
Armoured shorts - still to get
Zip Fit liners - trip to CEM still to be sorted
Icelantic Pilgrim's & Vist speedlock bindings for Deb
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In: Stockli Stormriders
Some nice new 2008 Spyder kit
Head Raptor boots, when they finally arrive.
Level Tiger Pro gloves

Out: Dynastar Intuitive 74's, relegated to Telemarking.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In:
Boots from the Bootfitting day
Skis - wave magic or burnin' luv (maybe...possibly...what the hell, I'm going for it Very Happy )
Spyder Jacket & pants
Oakley Half Jackets with persimmon & Black polarised iridium
Trapper hat
fleece tops
Swaney gloves ( but only if I can;t find anything warmer and less bulky)
lots of Blistex & factor 20+
decent apres boots

Out:
naff apres boots
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx, Apres boots!! crikey I forgot I might need apres boots - I don't bother for the family holiday as we stay in and chat, but if I'm partying next year in VT I might need to think about this. What's 'in' for apres ski? This is probably more important than the on slope gear!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum wrote:
What's 'in' for apres ski?

Doesn't matter as everyone will be too drunk to notice rolling eyes .
latest report
Megamum, don't worry about it - casual, jeans fleece kinda thing, but it was soooo hot this year it was tshirts without a jacket.
latest report
My wife - new to skiing although that's not a reason - asked the lady in snow and rock "is this colour in this season" spyder jacket in lime green and white,,

I said it's not relevant...apparently that's all wrong and it is important..!!!!!!!

Discuss.. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
IN: not falling on @rse

OUT: falling on @rse
snow conditions
GrahamN wrote:

- Something waterproof (top and bottom) and not too heavyweght. Don't know what yet.
- Goggles that actually allow you to see through them

messed up graham....

SAC had smith goggles (the double lens ones with lots of vents) at about $26US and has had arcteryx goretex xcr salopette thingies at around 160 or so.....

might want to check the sales on internet though... I have just grabbed some good bargains...
snow report
Quote:

Out: Dynastar Intuitive 74's, relegated to Telemarking.

sounds like still IN to me.....or do you not plan on any more tele this year.....

rjs, i think you are right upper body armour a bit overkill but decathlon boxing gloves sound like a good investment, you should see grahamN thumb Shocked
ski holidays
parlor wrote:
IN: Bomber bishop telemark binders (

Cool Cool beautiful piece of engineering, are they the "dual use" bindings http://www.bombertele.com/images/Bomber.avi
ski holidays
skimottaret, if rjs has been racing on Dendix for 25 years I'm sure he's seen, and experienced, much worse Wink .
snow conditions
In
Nike Goretex Jacket and Goretex trousers which I wore for 3 days year before last but didn't fit last year Embarassed
New Fitness/diet regime to get me there inc Crosstrainer sitting upstairs (no excuse)
Fischer AMC 76's bought last season but arrived too late for my last trip.
New Goggles (still to buy)
Out
Horrible Rossignol trousers bought as a stop gap.
snow report
Nothing is out and nothing new in Sad Same old same old

Only purchase on the horizon is to buy a new face mask - mine's too big
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
parlor wrote:
IN: Bomber bishop telemark binders (

Cool Cool beautiful piece of engineering, are they the "dual use" bindings http://www.bombertele.com/images/Bomber.avi

Only reason I was planning on getting them... wink
snow conditions
I'd be fascinated to know whether, for those many people who have long lists, they are equally long each season. What with the many weeks on skis, the £ signs are positively dripping from these pages.
Shocked
snow conditions
Hurtle, my list is much longer than usual because I've started to do a little bit of slalom skiing in the UK. This meant buying kit that I didn't have before such as pole and leg guards. Although I have to confess I do have difficulty in saying no to a good bargain, hence half-price Elan skis, heavily discounted Visit clothing for this season; GS and fat skis last season off eBay, etc Smile
latest report
Quote:

they are equally long each season

If you are a true gear junkie you are always tweaking something and moving things IN and OUT. Also, you have to be thinking and rationalising something new or different AT ALL times ( avalanche transceivers, altitude watches, hydration backpack, compasses, etc)

That said until last year i had the same pair of boots and skis for 5 years and my jacket was 12 years old when replaced
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GrahamN, I have seen worse, just not often enough that anyone did anything to prevent it. I broke a little finger, but that was because I got it caught in a pole guard not in the Dendix.

I would have thought that someone wearing boxing gloves would have difficulty holding their poles, and would still be able to catch a thumb in the matting.
ski holidays
rob@rar, skimottaret, It's alright, you don't have to justify yourselves! wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Hurtle, just was overly excited as literally when i was posting my new Karmas turned up at the door Toofy Grin they are sweet.....
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
Hurtle, just was overly excited as literally when i was posting my new Karmas turned up at the door Toofy Grin they are sweet.....

Even sweeter when the tele interfaces turn up. Thats I nice set up mate.
ski holidays
rjs, training boxing gloves have the thumb sewn to the inside of the hand so should stop catching. only thinking about this for training purposes as i am sure that the poles will be tought to use correctly.
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
rob@rar, skimottaret, It's alright, you don't have to justify yourselves! wink Toofy Grin

Not to you maybe, but to myself perhaps... Wink
latest report
rob@rar, Toofy Grin
latest report
In:
Spyder Chamonix jacket & Davos pants
Atomic Nomad Crimson skis
New insoles & balancing for existing boots from Footworks when I get to Cham
New goggles (prob Oakley) with yellow & iridium lenses
Helmet (grudgingly) - prob Giro or Sweet, depending on fit
Sportube twin ski tube
Walk-Ez revolutions if I can get hold of them outside the US
Thermals

Out:
Nine-year-old Eider jacket and pants
Nine-year-old Slush & Rubble soft ski bag
Last-year's scratched Bollé goggles - lesson learnt: get ones with changeable lenses

Clinging on for dear life:
Nine-year-old Goode carbon poles
latest report
..... wonder if Scarpa, will be getting any clothes ..... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
forgot to say:

In:
snowHead Tee shirts
latest report
PhilG wrote:

I ordered them direct from the manufacturer last year and persuaded them to send them by bog standard US Mail at a fraction of the cost of the courier they wanted to use (although they did then take about 3 weeks to arrive). When I spoke to them last November, they said they were planning on setting up a European distributor for 07-08 so you might want to drop them a line
latest report
eng_ch wrote:
PhilG wrote:

I ordered them direct from the manufacturer last year and persuaded them to send them by bog standard US Mail at a fraction of the cost of the courier they wanted to use (although they did then take about 3 weeks to arrive). When I spoke to them last November, they said they were planning on setting up a European distributor for 07-08 so you might want to drop them a line

Cheers, I'll do that. Btw, are they actually worth getting in your opinion?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy