Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Learning/ Teaching techniques" - what are they? application to ski instruction?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking forward to reading it Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
veeeight wrote:
...those that are relaxed, no hidden agendas, show little apprehension jump in with both feet and progress well.

Surely you should be teaching them to jump into Saudan's single footed as their first run. Anything else just isn't skiing! Wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
veeeight wrote:

those that are relaxed, no hidden agendas, show little apprehension jump in with both feet and progress well.

Anyone with that approach would do well or certainly better, with or without lessons.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar wrote:
How much variation do you see in aptitude and approach to learning amongst your (occasional) beginners? Do they generally follow a similar pattern, or wide variation?

Lack of fitness can be an issue, and made worse at altitude.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JT wrote:
veeeight wrote:

those that are relaxed, no hidden agendas, show little apprehension jump in with both feet and progress well.

Anyone with that approach would do well or certainly better, with or without lessons.

JT Any danger of provoking an old argument here? wink

I've got to say my adult snowsports learning from scratch experiences (snowboarding and telemarking) I have found that the (group) lesson environment doesn't always help. I don't think this is a reflection on the quality of my instruction but more the fact that being in a group lesson doesn't necessarily prove conducive to relaxation when there are people picking things up faster than you and there is a huge amount of information to take in.

The solution to this is of course private lessons or if the budget doesn't stretch to this some self-consolidation (of bad habits wink) .
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob,

ha ha...but only if people like the sound of their own voice rather than accept there is alternative opinion out there.

To quantify tho' this isn't an anti-lesson rant or jibe, just pointing out the obvious that a more committed approach will go further than a reticent approach particuarly in the early stages. I think you could couple this up with men v women's speed of getting to a level, with or without lessons etc and blah..
but I think the initial quote stands, mostly.

And before the foghorn blows, I have never said people should never have lessons but hey, why let fact get in the way of a demented rant. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JT wrote:
To quantify tho' this isn't an anti-lesson rant or jibe, just pointing out the obvious that a more committed approach will go further than a reticent approach particuarly in the early stages.

Sounds an entirely sensible proposition.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
I hope you 2 have cleared this heretical chat with the local demi-god or there'll be hell to pay wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar wrote:
JT wrote:
To quantify tho' this isn't an anti-lesson rant or jibe, just pointing out the obvious that a more committed approach will go further than a reticent approach particuarly in the early stages.

Sounds an entirely sensible proposition.

...it's one of the reasons why camps get such great reviews - whether that be Warren Smith, ESA,... (other camps exist)
You get a bunch of eager students with no one who doesn't really want to be there, and a bunch of great instructors, and apart from a very vocal minority who don't fit in to group scenarios, you get a very successful event.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
helpful bump Blush teaching techniques are a cool subject...

How about one to get things going. I do under fives beginners from time to time. Should you A get them playing as a group or B spend time with each one individually. I assumed one way was right but was completely wrong initially and had a handfull my first few goes.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wear The Fox Hat, I like your list of points on how to teach - which is, as far as I can tell (not having my current Alpine Manual to hand), exactly as we are taught to teach! I generally find the hardest point is convincing the client, in the nicest possible way that he needs to learn various skills in a series of stepping stones before he is ready to learn whatever it is he thinks he wants to learn!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pollittcl, Hi. Is your location correct now?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mosha Marc, yes, for the time being.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pollittcl, nice to see you back snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mosha Marc, thank you. Sometimes it is difficult to get an internet connection! Shocked (BTW, have you changed your name?)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy