Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

please can someone explain these terms for skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
erica2004, that's a little more information. In full ski kit with boots on, could you weigh anywhere near 150lbs or maybe over?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
comprex, thats very near 'does my bum look big in this' territory.... Laughing
good luck
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
erica2004 wrote:
comprex, On icy pistes, skiing on the B1s, I never slipped. With the C9s I did, and my husband does. However, on good snow, I can do (I promise you) perfect carved turns. In fact in ski school I always had to give the demonstrations wink . With the Rossignols I can, but not so easily. The C9 just makes the carve and holds it, with the B1 I'm conscious of 'helping' the ski. However, the C9s are ladies 150cm and the B1s are men's 160cm. This is why I was interested in ski shape etc.
p.s. all the skis kept well tuned.

I suspect the C9 is softer in flex?

[EDIT]
re-read your post and found the C9 is 10cm shorter than your B1. Apples and oranges.

I think you might have a B1 that's too long for you? I would suspect if you get a shorter B1, it'll turn equally nice as the C9. But maybe a tad less edge hold. After all, there's 10cm LESS of edge to for you to work with.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 13-09-07 18:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
abc, I actually suspect the C9 is marginally stiffer in the forefoot, but the length difference is such that 150cm is overloaded at the skier's weight. The B1 just has more edge.

EDIT: more the reverse, the C9 is actually too short.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
comprex wrote:
abc, I actually suspect the C9 is marginally stiffer in the forefoot, but the length difference is such that 150cm is overloaded at the skier's weight. The B1 just has more edge.

EDIT: more the reverse, the C9 is actually too short.

I agree the lack of edge hold might be an indication that's too short. But if she doesn't weight enough (nor fast enough) to load the B1, that might explain why it doesn't turn as well.

Maybe she needs something in between. Like, e.g. B1W, which is supposed to be a tad softer. or, remount the binding a tad forward, as it might have been on the C9?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
abc wrote:

I agree the lack of edge hold might be an indication that's too short. But if she doesn't weight enough (nor fast enough) to load the B1, that might explain why it doesn't turn as well. Maybe she needs something in between.

Depending on her weight I'd say stay near 160cmish in a similar overall flex, wider than 114mm in the shovel to speed up initiation, and change damping for more snow feel, certainly not over 75mm waist. That would make the Head and Volkl top demo contenders.

The Dynastar could be a bit more lively but won't really hook up much quicker than what she's on now.

(EDIT: FWIW, I hate to mix up factfinding posts with opinion posts, this one is certainly one of the latter and I reserve the right to change it should more information arise).

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 13-09-07 18:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi - I'm probably about 135lb kitted up.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Interesting. If you still have the C9s, it might be worthwhile to check the tune: can you shave a fingernail with ease?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
erica2004, I have skied the Stockli Spirit IV (I think - it was a slightly softer flexing one they were selling for ladies... A friend who is a very good skier suggested them as he is light and enjoyed them).... They were a very good ski and if the Ed is the successor I would think tthey would also be a nice ski....

Stockli has a more forward mounting point than many skis or so I'm told by a young friend who is into this stuff. He proposes many of his female friends like Stocklis due to the more forward mounting point...

I do love my Stockli SC's and GS skis... Toofy Grin Although I have my eye on some Elan GS skis also....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The length difference could definitely be a factor there.

It's also likely that the B1s, being men's skis, will be generally stiffer (longitudinally and torsionally). torsional stiffness has a lot to do with determining the grip you get, so that could also have contributed to the difference.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
comprex, has explained this very thoroughly. I don't know what I could add, other than perhaps some "blonde" terminology.

But wait: WTFH already did that. How does he know blonde terminology? Shocked

Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
1) Even edge bevel.

Each ski has 2 edges. If there is a bevel on both edges, then that is even. If there is only a bevel on one edge, then that is odd. If there is a bevel on 3 edges, that is very odd.

2) Sidewall degree of verticality.

It's slightly better than a Sidewall HND of verticality.

But seriously...
1 & 2 refer to the angle of the edge - between the base and the edge, and between the edge and the sidewall.

3 A ski has good edge grip/hold if the edge is sharp and stays that way. The angle of the bevel can improve edge hold, but increasing the edge angles can also have downsides in terms of wear, and requirement for sharpening.

Quote:

4. Generally speaking, a ski that is narrower underfoot will be quicker/easier for switching edges (as rob says), but you need to consider where you will be using the ski, and how you want to ski it, because carving is not the only way to turn (nor is it always the best way to turn). There, I said it. Armchair experts/instructors feel free to disagree.

For the most part this is correct. I would add that the length of the ski, sidecut and flex all play into this.
For instance, I like a ski that is at the low end of being a midfat for most anything but then I like to switch to a narrow ski for a day that is a bit more hard pack and/or icy. I'll switch to a fatter ski such like a Volkl Bridge(94) for the more powder ish days.
My weight is 125 lbs, so anything over a 94 would be more demanding for me to turn.
Take a person who's a bit heavier and aggressive and put him/her on a 99- 110 waist and he/she will be able to turn it better than I can, just because the weight can flex the ski in the turn.
These all make a difference
Skier:
Weight and ability
Ski:
Sidecut
Flex
waist
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SnowHot wrote:
comprex, has explained this very thoroughly. I don't know what I could add, other than perhaps some "blonde" terminology.

But wait: WTFH already did that. How does he know blonde terminology? Shocked

I used to be blond, until my hair got pushed out of my head by my expanding brain... Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat, Yeah me also Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy