Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How longs a queue?

Poster: A snowHead
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing

47d, 11h, 23m and 43s to the PSB
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boredsurfin wrote:
gwaelod, Catch up, they were all sold to La Rosiere a few of seasons ago Laughing
I guess the slowest lift in the world (Les Arcs Plan Bois) will be heading that way as well Toofy Grin

We still have the Comborciere chair!

I vaguely remember reading that the old Plan Bois lift will be re-used somewhere in the resort, perhaps replacing the one remaining drag lift above Peisey?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
47d, 11h, 17m and 23s to the PSB

Keep up man
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
boredsurfin wrote:
I guess the slowest lift in the world (Les Arcs Plan Bois) will be heading that way as well Toofy Grin

You have obvioulsy not been on Vega in La Plagne. Made the old Plan Bois feel like a Bugatti Veyron. Vega is an old 2 person chair and is over 250 chairs on it. Trust me I have watch everyone go past veryyyyyyyyyyy slowly.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gwaelod, Yes. It is sickening to see old blokes on skins overtake underneath. The 1st time I rode it I had to keep checking for a pulse.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
My grand-daughter is 3 ("and a half"). Last week they stayed with us and amongst other things she did cooking with me and had several sessions learning to row a rubber dinghy, as well as endless hours of stories. Her mum was still fretting that she "should" have been at her pre-school sessions!

sorry - thread hijack!
loved this...
When at primary school and right up to 4th year (GCSE's) my mum would take me out of school in mid June so we could do lots of fun stuff together through the summer!
If I become a parent I suspect I will be a 'bad' parent that does similar
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gwaelod that'll be these chairs then Toofy Grin It is still in daily use and serves 3 purposes. 1. to remind us old folk of how it use to be (esp. the whack on the calf muscle as it sweeps you up) 2. To emphasise how fast the rest of the lifts are. 3 Acces to some excellent off piste and often powder. Very Happy

The Vega chair potters along at 2.1 m/s shifting 1200 persons an hour. In comparison the Arpette 8 man chair hammers along at 5.5 m/s and shifts 3600 persons an hour (Stats from RG's site)
hthtmlml

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 12-09-07 14:29; edited 4 times in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boredsurfin wrote:
To emphasise how fast the rest of the lifts are

Certainly does that wink . Make me even contemplate Nordic skiing as a recreational sport.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There is a six-seater Doppelmayr fast-speed chairlift (!) somewhere in the background.
(Jasna-Chopok, Slovakia, December 2005)
OMG, sometimes it takes 40-45 mins to get to this lift.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
boredsurfin wrote:
In comparison the Arpette 8 man chair hammers along at 5.5 m/s and shifts 3600 persons an hour

What a lift snowHead Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kerekip, I'd take up chess and retire from skiing if that was a queue I had to endure too often!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gwaelod wrote:
boredsurfin wrote:
In comparison the Arpette 8 man chair hammers along at 5.5 m/s and shifts 3600 persons an hour

What a lift snowHead Very Happy

Nope this is a lift Laughing

7.2 m/s Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
seem to recall quite a wait at the bottom of the Silverettabhn in Ischgl......
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gwaelod wrote:
This is a queue Very Happy. This is an old photo I saved from RG's great site. For anyone who goes to La Plagne his site is a must. Very Happy

http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/

This is an old photo taken in Plagne Bellecote prior to the new Arpette life being built.

Yep...
That's impossible now with new Blanchets and Arpette chairlifts...

And thanks for your comments about my site !

RG Wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RG wrote:
gwaelod wrote:
This is a queue Very Happy. This is an old photo I saved from RG's great site. For anyone who goes to La Plagne his site is a must. Very Happy

http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/

This is an old photo taken in Plagne Bellecote prior to the new Arpette life being built.

Yep...
That's impossible

Because they just dont queue in France Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
No photo but the all time best (err worst?) queue I remember was on the Daylodge Poma at CairnGorm, it was either late Dec or early Jan so the days were short. The road to Coire Cas was and remained blocked all day, so everybody that came into the ski area did so by the Ciste Chair. The lifts run till pretty much dusk at that time of year, and they shut down by their usual close down pattern not taking account of the fact that people had to get back to Coire Na Ciste. This funnelled everyone down to the Daylodge where they joined a massive queue for the Daylodge Poma which promptly broke down!! By the time it was going again the queue was the full width of the path and streached from the foot of the Poma back to the Carpark Chairlift station! It was already dark when we joined it! Razz Cool

After watching folk disspearing into the gloom for about 20minutes and making very little progress towards the DLP we wondered what the queue for the Ciste Chair was like so headed of skiing, pushing, then walking down the link road. Never did hear when the last people got up the Daylodge Poma, but they were still solid coming down the Ciste Chairlift at 5pm and it's dark before 4 at that time of year ! Laughing
snow report
Guvnor wrote:

Still do, mate. Can be avoided if you arrive before 10.
ski holidays
I've queued for nearly an hour at the Cime de Caron in VT. That was in March. Been since in January and virtually got straight on .. lesson learned, I now know how long the Mickey Mouse queues take to snake around the fences. Having said that skiing in France in Jan last year in Tignes never came across a single queue other than for the GM funicular and that's really just waiting for it to cycle around. Serre Chevaliar in Feb lots of queues but none really horrific, fast 6 mans each queues! End of March Avoriaz - no queues at all - ski onto the lifts - but c**p weather kept away the fair weather skiiers.
snow report
stevew,
Quote:

I've queued for nearly an hour at the Cime de Caron in VT

Me too. Ditto for Les Grands Montets in Argentiere. Worth it, though, in both cases.
snow report
Hurtle, can't remember how long for Les Grands Montets but seem to recall we had to get a pre-timed ticket so it wasn't that long.
ski holidays
stevew, I've twice found myself, aux Grands Montets, in that irritating period of time when the lifties reckon that there aren't QUITE enough people around to operate the pre-timed ticket system. It can, it seems, get pretty bad before they do.
latest report
boredsurfin, you need to get over to 2000 and Pre St Esprit for the slowest lift...

When the queue is backed out of the taped area, it is quicker (and this is NOT exaggerating, we have done it on a number of occasions) to wander over to the road, and catch the bus up the hill. Despite the faffing at the top stop, you are back on the slopes in better than even time. With a bus every 30 mins, you'd be very unlucky to take longer at the bus stop + 5 mins travel time, versus queuing for the 3 seat, 15 min lift journey.

Plan Bois going this year is good, but I can't WAIT for St Esprit to go too. Combourciere, of the same era... well AFAI am concerned, that can stay, as it discourages the unknowing, and leaves that end of the resort empty for the regulars!
ski holidays
kerekip wrote:
There is a six-seater Doppelmayr fast-speed chairlift (!) somewhere in the background.
(Jasna-Chopok, Slovakia, December 2005)
OMG, sometimes it takes 40-45 mins to get to this lift.

There's a ski-lift somewhere in this picture too!!!
(Pamporovo, Bulgaria, New Year 2007)

[/img]

and later ......

ski holidays
Glad I am not stuck in this lift queue. Makes our moans seem rasther trivial Embarassed
snow report
being a tad claustraphobic that story is a nightmare!!!
latest report
Scarlet Pimpernel wrote:
Guvnor wrote:

Still do, mate. Can be avoided if you arrive before 10.

Better to walk to the Fimbabahn IMO. Especially now it's being replaced this year by a faster 8 man heated gondala. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
As has been said, the efficiency of American/Canadian lift queue systems is brilliant. They have begun rudimentary attempts to do the same here - why it's not more widely adopted I have no idea. They must get 20 - 25% more people up on busy days.
Having said that the worst queue I've ever been in was over an hour in Whistler on the only powder day in a fortnight.

Last time I cracked was as a man blatantly shouldered past me in a narrow line for a T bar lift in Tignes. It was the last straw in a day of many queue-jumpers, and I said "excuse me, there's a queue!". He stopped and waited behind me while I felt all self-satisfied and British.

Then I saw him waving at a five-year old girl who was about 6 people ahead and looking thoroughly scared. "Don't worry darling, I'll be there in a minute!"

Embarassed I apologised and asked him to go through but he wouldn't Crying or Very sad

The embarrassment! Never again!
latest report
Scarlet Pimpernel, we've waited a long time there too if we've been unlucky (badly planned) enough to hit it at ski school time. Weird though because almost all of the other lifts in the area are modern, fast and big with hardly any queues at all, so the SB is a bit of an unexpected weak link.

The one time we hit it with no queues, we wanted to ski the deserted pistes back down to the valley when they were all freshly groomed, so we got off at the mid-station and blasted right the way to the village, only we went a bit too fast, because when we arrived at the SB, our liftpasses wouldn't go through the scanner as they were flagged as being reused too often (i.e. as if we had chucked them to a mate in the back of the queue thus avoiding paying)! So lesson to us, ski slower wink , or don't get off at the mid-station Laughing .

We got a stern interrogation from the lifty who only seemed to relent and believe us when we pointed out H's pseudo grey hair (black hair with lots of snow in it) from his brief headstand in some deep powder, unachieveable by virtually any other method.

Happy sliding snowHead
D
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy