Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How longs a queue?

Poster: A snowHead
Fair enough, for what its worth I'm a fan but would probably only go there as part of a tour of the various resorts in the area, anywhere that quiet relative to its neighbours is always worth a look.

As for queues, if you hate them try Tahoe - never queued longer than a couple of minutes and generally just ski straight to the loading point without stopping.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have never seen a queue in Villa Roger, heading up the Aiguille Rouge towards Les Arcs......
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
levart, I am also rather guilty as this coming season we will be embarking on our 4th family trip in 4 yrs. Yes it has many faults but has done us proud over recent years. This year I am looking forward to the kids going out wandering on their own for a bit in the evening.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman, im going to obertauern again for 'another' family trip.. rarely Q'd there in fact i spend more time waiting for a beer! kids going out on their own the evening !! you will be free to engage in conversation with your better half over a relaxing beer .. ill have a friendly score that all you talk about are the kids
snow report
 brian
brian
Frosty the Snowman, make sure they have listening devices and keep coming back to check on you or there'll be hell to pay wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have experienced Bellecote at its worst but the longest wait I've had was at the bottom station of the train in Davos going up to the Parsenn - the wait was 1.5 hours if you got there after 9, it was Easter though.

The Klein Matterhorn cable car at Zermatt is bad as well, once the waiting area is full they just close the shutters for half an hour - there is a T-bar alternative though.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CANV CANVINGTON,Like last year there will be a big group of us. Last Easter was great as we had Apres every late afternoon at either a slope side bar next to the chalet, or at a mountain top bar, and a late ski down to the aforementioned gaff. The kids are all at an age where they dont need immediate supervising and it was great to see them playing in the snow, upsetting all the sumbathers Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
You go to the wrong place, at the wrong time, roga.

Nope, I've been to France when there are queues and when there aren't but if there are queues it can be a nightmare (particularly with small kids in tow) coz they all push and shove.
Quote:
It has to be better than waiting for 40 minutes to get on a tow at Cairngorm, with my 9 year old son, only to have him fall off after 30 metres (it was his first time on snow) and start all over again. That was - what - 1983?!

Looks like you went to Cairngorm at the wrong time though - there are very rarely queues like that anymore (probably 'coz all the punters got fed up with the queues in the old days and went to France instead lol).

Anyway, my 7 year old daughter got pushed off a chairlift by some w*nkers with snowboards on their feet in Les Gets last Xmas after a long wait in a queue so we all have our tales to tell.
Quote:
Then having ALL the lifts shut the next day, in a gale. The fish and chips on the way home on the bus was good, though!

Yup, weather and fish and chips happen in Scotland - c'est la vie! Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman, have you shown them the simple pleasure of snowballing sunbathers from the safety of a chairlift? Twisted Evil
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Swirly, vice- versa surely Evil or Very Mad

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/7295
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A queue is anything where I have to wait. A significant queue is anything where there's no/very little progress and/or the total time is greater than approx. 5 minutes (Gondolas's an exception). And you're damn right I'll do something to avoid them if I can, usually take whatever other lift is available and avoid an area altogether if there's liable to be a significant queue.

Worst q ever for me ?

Probably a complete bunfight to get out on the drag lift that gets you back to Sauze D'oulx. I nearly walked up and seriously considered trying to ski round the side.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

if there are queues it can be a nightmare (particularly with small kids in tow) coz they all push and shove.

We find that in our area, almost entirely French and no package tour operators (Espace Diamant) there are rarely queues outside the obvious holiday times, and that when there are, people are generally patient and good natured, and specially careful about little kids. And the lifties are friendly and helpful too (I have taken lots of beginners/kids on lifts, and as a beginner snowboarder appreciate their help). I've experienced some shoving in Les Contamines but by Brits and Germans, not French. Obviously there are badly behaved French skiers too (that's why I would never ski in France in the French February holidays, especially the Paris weeks) but they're not all boors.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Interesting to read these views. I find that queueing in general is a lot less bad than it was about 15-20 years ago and in recent years I have only hit a few black spots and have been to a few resorts where there was no queueing of any description on my visits, the majority have had very little.

My own view is that my toleration of queues depends very much on what th e lift serves. Five minutes to wait for a very short tow for a nursery slope when you are learning that takes 30 deconds to ski back down can seem intolerable. Fifteen minutes wait for a lift that gives access to 2000m vertical of powder with possibly a short hike to access it is not a bad deal at all.

My own queue avoiding strategies are to avoid mid feb -early march in France (I don't know how much better it has got but the few times I have been I have not liked the crowds even if the lifts are a bit more efficient. ) Got to the smaller resorts at busier times and occasionally I have in the past booked ski school with lift priveliges in resorts where the queueing has been bad.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont,
Last time I went the queues for the Balme chair were not bad at all but it was still very slow and with all those tows in Frejus valley they desperately need a couple of high capacity high speed lifts. The rest of the area is great though, and I guess the Balme chair keeps Monetier quieter. snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
T Bar, wink . and the boarders don't like the 'road' either.
ski holidays
FenlandSkier wrote:
R32 wrote:
Helen Beaumont, You....a queue jumper Shocked Shocked Shocked wink . I would stab you with my stick!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing .

Don't worry R32, she won't get very far ahead in the lift line coz when she gets to the front the lifties will stop her until a grown up will ride with her. wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
R32, Fenlandskier Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Helen Beaumont, Sorry Little Angel.
How's the new job going?
snow conditions
Sorry i don't understand this thread - perhaps the RED jacket helps wink Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
R32, new job fine so far thanks. Very Happy
snow report
stewart woodward, Now I wonder if eBay has any ESF jackets for sale?! Laughing Laughing .
snow report
Helen Beaumont, Have noticed you are not online during the day....new place not got internet access? wink Laughing .
snow conditions
R32, I am 'hidden' that is why, as I still am now. All pharmacies now have a high speed internet access for electronic prescriptions. As there is only one computer terminal connected to it in this shop, (something I am working on solving) it is also difficult to stay logged in all day as other people use the computer. I never used to be viewing all day, just logged in. I 'mod' on another (none-skiing) forum,and we've had some unrest among the natives this week, so I may have been on there more often.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, Yes definitely need to get it sorted!
ski holidays
I remember those scottish queues, and the formal lines, you got any pics Brian???
snow report
R32, I'm not actually posting any less though,I just don't have the browser open all day.
ski holidays
The best skiing happens before 10 am. This is just one of the reasons why.
ski holidays
The worst queue I have ever experienced was a few seasons ago in Avoriaz/Morzine at half term. Others will know the location but it was at the bottom of several slopes with two adjacent lifts out. So many people were waiting that both queues had joined ending up with a huge crowd. This was the first time I had seen people take their ski's off to protect the ski's from damage. It was so bad I haven't been back to the PdS since although in fairness there may be other factor's in that wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think the worst queue I had this year was at Squaw, where I must have been in the queue for at least a minute. Disgraceful!
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, I know how you feel I was delayed for at least 2 minutes one day last season as a child had a problem getting onto our lift! Toofy Grin
latest report
boredsurfin, good to see that you, like me, are investing in the local lift infrastrucure wink
snow report
 brian
brian
kitenski, no sadly I don't.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
boredsurfin, good to see that you, like me, are investing in the local lift infrastrucure wink

wink Yep, soon be time to send off the cheque to buy some more of it snowHead
ski holidays
We go to les Arcs/La Plagne first week of January when the French have gone back to work and the kids are (should be) in school and sometimes I have seen 2 or 3 people in front of me queuing.

My kids won't have any education but I won't have queued at a ski lift. Very Happy Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

My kids won't have any education but I won't have queued at a ski lift.

We are guilty of the same thing, I'm afraid. My kids are all now grown up and did very well in their exams despite this appalling delinquency on the part of their parents. My dad never took his leave during school holidays either, and as he liked to holiday in June or July I sometimes even missed school exams. We always sought, and received, permission from the kids schools, though as they were very good attenders, and worked hard when they were there, I would have been very fed up if permission had been withheld. I know it's a controversial view, these days, but I think some parents make too much fuss about their kids not missing any school. My grand-daughter is 3 ("and a half"). Last week they stayed with us and amongst other things she did cooking with me and had several sessions learning to row a rubber dinghy, as well as endless hours of stories. Her mum was still fretting that she "should" have been at her pre-school sessions! The only people who really can't go skiing in term time are the teachers (we have several amongst our family and friends, which complicates arranging ski holidays no end, especially for Easter next year).
snow conditions
gwaelod wrote:
We go to les Arcs/La Plagne first week of January when the French have gone back to work and the kids are (should be) in school and sometimes I have seen 2 or 3 people in front of me queuing.

The worst thing about skiing in January is that you don't often get a chance to have a rest in a lift queue. It's just straight on, straight up, ski down. It's relentless Smile
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
gwaelod wrote:

The worst thing about skiing in January is that you don't often get a chance to have a rest in a lift queue. It's just straight on, straight up, ski down. It's relentless Smile

Rob you need to ski the La Plagne side they have lots of long slow lifts to rest on wink
snow conditions
gwaelod, Laughing
ski holidays
gwaelod, Catch up, they were all sold to La Rosiere a few of seasons ago Laughing
I guess the slowest lift in the world (Les Arcs Plan Bois) will be heading that way as well Toofy Grin
latest report
I got them cheap though Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy