Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

US: ski-pass cost comparison softens lift whines

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
Increased prices on popular ski passes, now on sale for the season, reflect millions of dollars in capital improvements and additional benefits, according to the large ski companies setting the prices.

Some consumers are unhappy about the hikes, but most say the passes, compared with daily lift tickets, still offer the best deal around, even though some may purchase alternatives to the more expensive passes.

"I think a price increase stinks," said Emily Capen, 25. "But I had almost 30 days last year, so it evens out and makes it worthwhile."

Executives at the nation's two largest ski-industry companies, Vail Resorts Inc. and Intrawest, emphasize that Front Range skiers are still getting the best pass prices in the U.S.

Vail Resorts' popular Colorado Pass, which includes access to Keystone, Breckenridge, A-Basin and 10 days at Vail or Beaver Creek, rose nearly 11 percent to $419, from $379 last season. The Summit Pass, with access to Keystone, Breckenridge and A-Basin, rose nearly 9 percent to $379, from $349.

Intrawest's Rocky Mountain Super Pass, which includes access to Copper Mountain and Winter Park, increased to $389, from $349 last season, a bump of nearly 11.5 percent. The company's Copper Four Pass jumped the largest percentage, going from $84 last year to $119. That's a nearly 42 percent increase that executives attribute to added benefits and very few blackout dates.

"We are offering the freedom to come ski whenever they want," said Jesse True, vice president of sales and marketing at Copper Mountain and Winter Park. The Four Pass, True said, is "still one of the best. At $119, it's still $29.75 a day, and that is pretty hard to beat for a big outing."

The rest of the article is here:
http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_6833892
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For the holidaying Europeans, this makes little difference as the decline in North American currencies over the past few years wipes out the increases. Also, the article deals mostly with season passes, which few of us buy. I imagine that purchasers of season passes are much less price-sensitive than people who buy day passes, so the resorts are cashing in.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jonny Jones, it's a bit of maths sometimes worth doing, particularly if you are going to be in the same area for 2 weeks or more.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
How does this compare with European season passes? (Never having skied a season Sad I've never asked)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
With regards getting a season pass for a holiday, some mid-week passes only require a few days skiing to break even. For example a Kirkwood mid-week pass would have paid for itself if you skied there just 4 days mid-week during a holiday. Don't dismiss season passes for holidays, esp if your going earlier in the season and theres a chance you might sneek in another holiday late season.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Winterhighland wrote:
With regards getting a season pass for a holiday, some mid-week passes only require a few days skiing to break even. For example a Kirkwood mid-week pass would have paid for itself if you skied there just 4 days mid-week during a holiday. Don't dismiss season passes for holidays, esp if your going earlier in the season and theres a chance you might sneek in another holiday late season.

Sssh - don't tell everyone. The US sucks, Kirkwood never gets any snow, the drive from South Lake is a bitch etc
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob, totally agree. Kweed is the second worst ski resort in the world, next to Homewood.

You forgot to mention the lift lines, lack of gondolas, noisy people having BBQs off the back of their pickups, underpriced beer...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
US season passes are not real season passes. They have lots of restrictions i.e during peak season & on certain days you have to pay extra ( a day rate ) to be make it valid.

A season pass this year in The Arlberg (St. Anton - St. Christoph - Stuben - Lech - Oberlech - Zürs - Klösterle-Sonnenkopf) is Adult €665 Youth/Senior €562 Child €380

There are no restrictions.

If your registered, paying taxes in St Anton then the price is about half (claimed back).

If your born before 1932 season card cost €10

Locals in some cases its free Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton, I don't know where you get the "not real season passes" bit from. When I had a season pass at Winter Park it was a season pass. All season. No black-outs.
You can buy cheaper passes that have restrictions, but the normal season passes are just that. (and they tend to include discounts off local amenities)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Don't dismiss season passes for holidays, esp if your going earlier in the season and theres a chance you might sneek in another holiday late season.

Absolutely. And look out for early purchase discounts, too. A season pass for the Espace Diamant costs 500 euros. But if bought prior to the season opening it's only 325, which is less than two weeks bought "off the shelf".
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
stanton, I don't know where you get the "not real season passes" bit from. When I had a season pass at Winter Park it was a season pass. All season. No black-outs.
You can buy cheaper passes that have restrictions, but the normal season passes are just that. (and they tend to include discounts off local amenities)

Indeed it seems alot of Colorado resorts no longer have blackout days (but many used to inc Aspen,Telluride).

However, just looking at other States. Lake Tahoe Resorts operate blackout days for this season.

Also Vail Resorts ,Aspen Season Lift pass is $700-850 + insurance ($100 min) more expensive than Arlberg Pass Sad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat, Got to also agree about Kwood, although I hated Alpine Grasslands even more than Homeweed - no lift queues powder only about 4ft deep, blue skies, fab views only 10 mins from accomodation, cheap prices, need I say more . Ooops Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy