Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where & where not

Poster: A snowHead
Europe (Continent)
Want to: Alps: La Grave, Engelberg Other: Greece, Spain and Slovakia
Wana go back to: Honestly Im quite fed up with alps atm so I dont wana visit any Ive been to.
Never again: Bad Gastein (entire valley) and 3V both these represent the worst sides to the alps.... brrr.. puke
Not tempted by: French alps Ive been to quite a few places but enough is enough. No more france in the next 10 or so years.

Europe (Scandinavia)
Want to: Röldal Norway (tons of snow and good snowkite spot).
Wana go back to: Trysil Norway best sking Ive had in scandinavia.
Never again: Sälen Sweden. Sweden showing its worst side.. family mainstreaming resort... brrrr... puke
Not tempted by: Idre, Branäs, Säfsen and all other swedish family resort where veryone is supposed to be swedishly mainstream.

North America:
Want to: Jackson Hole, Kicking Horse, Riverstoke and Alaska
Wana go back to: Alta, Utah no doubt awsome and Fernie, BC (going back this winter).
Never again: Canyons, Park City and Powder Mountain Utah. Kimberly, BC
Not tempted by: Killington, Deer Valley, Vail, Aspen

Rest of the world:
Want to: Chile, Argentina, Lebanon, Japan, Killimanjaro, New Zeeland
Not tempted by: Ex Soviet states
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
TexMurphy,
Matter of interest whats wrong with Gastein valley it's one of the areas I want to visit. Was thinking of family holiday there. I'm not really a fan of 3V either.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
TexMurphy,

You going to have to get past the anti-french thing going on if you want to visit La Grave
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Of my 'must do sometime' that I haven't: Chamonix and 'Colorado'.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@T Bar

I dont like crowded places, Bad Gastein is extreamly crowded and with tons of swedish kids acting like back bottoms. Salt to wound on the crowd is that it has horrible lift logistics.

@JT

La Grave isnt really like the rest of the french places. It isnt huuuuuuge and it isnt croooooooooooooooooooowded and it aint like sking in Disneyland.

I dont have any thing against the French I do have alot against French alps. Part is that Ive been there so much that Im boored with it but part is what they are about. Its artificial villages (most not all) with tons and tons of people. Lift lines are huuuuge, people stressing everywhere... stress in the lift line, stress in the lunch line, stress in the shops, stress in the restaurants... its worse chaos then here at work...

Seeing all the charter people eating their fondeu (Spelling) and beeing towed around by wanabees in travell company uniforms and their groupies makes me sick.

I hate stress and I hate hoard mentality. The hoard mentality is why I hate the swedish resorts where the family hoards are beeing streamlined by the swedish morale police.

Sorry Im negative but going to the Alps and especially french is like going to Ibiza.

That is what Ive got against the alps and since the french resorts are the biggest and most crowded they represent this the most. But dont get me wrong Austria is just as bad in some place.

I wana kick back, ski terrain, chat with friendly people and enjoy my sking vacation.

Tex
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
TexMurphy, do you only ski in the middle of February? I ski a lot in the Tarentaise throughout the season and simply don't recognise the picture you paint.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ rob@rar

If you know a place in france that has sub 10 min lift lines, people are very layed back, terrain contains alot of easily accessible offpist and you can pop into nice restaurants (that arnt totally over priced and chaotic) and have a good meal then please by all means inform me.

Id love to find a gem of a resort on this side of the pond.

Tex
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
TexMurphy, L2A wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
TexMurphy wrote:
If you know a place in france that has sub 10 min lift lines, people are very layed back, terrain contains alot of easily accessible offpist and you can pop into nice restaurants (that arnt totally over priced and chaotic) and have a good meal then please by all means inform me.

Last season I only queued for more than 10 minutes at two separate lifts: the first funicular of the day for autumn skiing in Tignes can be a bit of a zoo, with loads of junior racers, etc. The other occasion was the first cable car out of Zinal on an unusually busy weekend. On every other trip no queues longer than 10 minutes. That includes Les Arcs, La Plagne, Tignes, Val d'Isere, La Rosiere, and Trois Vallees. I skied during early December, Christmas, January, early Feb (but avoided half-term weeks), March, and April (including Easter). In total about 50 days, and that has been the same pattern for the last three years. The one major lift bottleneck in Les Arcs, where queues can get longer than 10 minutes in off-peak times was replaced this summer.

The people I ski with are laid back Smile

The resorts around the Tarentaise have quite a lot of lift served off-piste Wink Yes, some of it gets tracked out quickly, eg Espace Killy, but there is no shortage of terrain to choose from. You could try St Foy, for example.

I've had enjoyable meals, although you might have much higher standards/expectations than me.

I'm not saying that the French mega-resorts around the Tarentaise don't have disadvantages as well as advantages. But the bleak picture you paint of "huuuuuge" lines and "crooo...ooowded" Disneyland resorts with "tons and tons" of people, is completely at odds with my experience. You are, of course, perfectly entitled to your opinion about what you like and what you dislike, but a more realistic grip on reality might be helpful?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
realistic grip on reality

There's another sort? Puzzled wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
laundryman wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
realistic grip on reality

There's another sort? Puzzled wink

An unrealistic grip on reality? Wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Seeing all the charter people eating their fondeu (Spelling) and beeing towed around by wanabees in travell company uniforms and their groupies makes me sick.

Are these the same 'charter people' who year in year out buy lift passes and spend fortunes in the resorts, all of which goes to invest in lifts and infrastructure for us all to take advantage of ? Where would we be without the 'charter crowd'?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
masmith wrote:
Quote:

Are these the same 'charter people' who year in year out buy lift passes and spend fortunes in the resorts, all of which goes to invest in lifts and infrastructure for us all to take advantage of ? Where would we be without the 'charter crowd'?

Exactly right.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TexMurphy wrote:
@ rob@rar

Id love to find a gem of a resort on this side of the pond.

Tex

Waaaaayyyyy to easy. I must resist, I must resist, I must resist, I must resist, I must resist, I must resist Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman, Costa Del Castleford? Wink
snow report
 brian
brian
rob@rar wrote:
The other occasion was the first cable car out of Zinal on an unusually busy weekend.

I got caught out by that bottleneck at easter. The bizarre thing is we got up and out at the top and there was hardly anyone there. No queues at all for the rest of the day.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Frosty the Snowman, I suspect the emphasis on terrain might render your contribution less useful wink
latest report
@ rob@rar

Ive skiied most of the areas you are mentioning in either late jan early feb (pre spring breaks) or march and honestly I dont have fond memories. I mean heck sking aint bad when one has luck with snow (but what resorts need more luck then others is another discussion). But still all thats left as memories aside from a few epic runs is 10euro+ lunches, lift lines, people pushing and shoving everywhere and just stress.

I mean some people like going to Ibiza, some people dont mind hanging on a beach that has 2 persons per square meter. I dont.

But I think alot boils down to what ones reference is.

My references to uncrowded is Alta Utah and Fernie BC. On weekends both are on verge of beeing classified as crowded. On weekdays they are in the sweeet cathegory.

Layed back to me is defined by words like these in a lift from a stranger... "dude you should get to curry chutes they are about to open em up now its gonna be the ride of the season"...

Food wise yes I might be quite of a snob when it comes to food but to be fair the french kitchen is over rated and in tourist areas Id rank it slightly above the traditional british kitchen. This does not apply to just the alps but gets equaly obvious when you are in the bay of biscaya and cross the border to spain. But heck as long as one ejoys a piece of well done steak with frise then french touristic areas are heavenly.

But lets be honest not many touristic areas have good food. Italy with its great food drops in quality as well when you get to touristic areas but still... mmmmm... good dining... North America gets saved by the huge veriaty of Asian and Italian food everywhere...

All in all intersting how much noice I managed to create by dissing the alps.. Wink

Tex
latest report
brian wrote:
I got caught out by that bottleneck at easter. The bizarre thing is we got up and out at the top and there was hardly anyone there. No queues at all for the rest of the day.

Yes, that was my experience as well, although ise said that the queue for the Zinal cablecar was very unusual.
snow report
brian wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, I suspect the emphasis on terrain might render your contribution less useful wink

Quote:
terrain contains alot of easily accessible offpist
It seems to be popular for this as far as I am aware
snow report
TexMurphy, I don't have a problem with you saying that the French Alps can be very much busier than your reference resorts in Utah or BC, or that you don't like the food that a proportion of the restaurants serve, etc, but to damn an entire region with the criticisms you made is, in my experience, just factually incorrect.
snow report
 brian
brian
TexMurphy, think you might like the anniviers although it's French speaking Switzerland rather than France.

Oh, btw, La Grave is huuuuuuuge in all the important ways wink
snow conditions
TexMurphy wrote:
All in all intersting how much noice I managed to create by dissing the alps.. Wink

I don't find it surprising. Can you name me any other mountain range with anything like the amount and variety of skiing, dining and après activities? It's not much wonder that lots of people find lots to appreciate.
latest report
laundryman wrote:
TexMurphy wrote:

I don't find it surprising. Can you name me any other mountain range with anything like the amount and variety of skiing, dining and après activities? It's not much wonder that lots of people find lots to appreciate.

Yes, that's right.
snow report
brian wrote:
TexMurphy, think you might like the anniviers although it's French speaking Switzerland rather than France.

Have to say that on my only visit to VdA the skiing didn't feel markedly different to the skiing I do in the Tarentaise. There was a smaller proportion of gentle terrain, and obviously it was a smaller area, but lift queues were not that different (although the choice of music was Wink), the restaurants were variations on a theme, there was a good mix of on and off-piste terrain available, fellow tourists were equally friendly or surly, etc. The architecture was very different, especially bits of Grimentz which looked like they were straight out of a Tim Burton movie, but for me that aspect of skiing is not so important. Quality of the skiing and quality of the company is what counts, and last season I was fortunate to have that in large doses in France as well as my one trip to Switzerland.
snow report
 brian
brian
rob@rar wrote:

Have to say that on my only visit to VdA the skiing didn't feel markedly different to the skiing I do in the Tarentaise.

No, I wouldn't think it would be, but it does meet a few of Tex's specific requirements. Anyway, I'm not supposed to be talking about this. Anniviers omerta and all that. wink
snow report
laundryman wrote:
TexMurphy wrote:

Well thats actually a tricky question... Id answer it like this...

There is no place in the world where you have as big ski resorts as in the alps.
There is no place where you have as connected lift systems as you have in the alps.
The dining well you have the entire range from good (italy) to bad (france) so yes your right.
The apres activities are extencive yes.

Thing is you cant compare alps with other mountain ranges the entire concept of how resorts are built is different.

Alps is about covering 90% of the skier/boarder population and doing it bigger and better then the next resort.

Canadian and US resorts are speciallized on client segments. So you dont get the veriaty at one resort but you hopefully (if you find the right one) get more of what you want. Good thing with this is that if you are looking at more advanced resorts your gonna find less crowd simply because they arnt ment to cover the beginners, the famlies and the party more then ski crowd. Risk though with that is that you will follow a hype to a place that ends up not beeing your cup of coffee at all and then you will have a horrible vacation.

This is why La Grave is on my list and still in france. It breaks off the provide for 90% and instead focuses on the remaining 10%.

If one views this as the strenght of the alps that the entire family or entire bunch of friends can come regarless of skill level or if one views it as just too much people is up to one self. For me though I rather pick more specialized resorts. Thats why Im dissing the big french resorts.

Tex
snow conditions
brian wrote:
No, I wouldn't think it would be, but it does meet a few of Tex's specific requirements.

I'm sure it does. I had a lovely time there, even though the choice of terrain was limited by very high avalanche risk.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brian wrote:

Oh, btw, La Grave is huuuuuuuge in all the important ways wink

The language is not part of the equation.. dont care about that at all...

Yes Im keeping an eye on switzerland as it now price wise isnt more expencive then other alp countries. Historicaly Ive been giving up switzerland due to price level and getting better bang per buck elsewhere...

Tex
ski holidays
TexMurphy, there are plenty of world class restaurants in French ski resorts, as well as plenty of places you can get cheap and cheerful food. Classing all French mountain food as "bad" is just a nonsense, in my opinion.

Do you think that resorts like Val d'Isere or Les Arcs don't cater for the 10% market segment? If you do I'd urge you to get a guide and try out some of the famous and little known off-piste opportunities. Foe example some of the lines off the Aiguille Rouge in Les Arcs will stand comparison with guided off-piste just about anywhere. See here for a little bit of an insight.

You might not want to ski within schussing distance of the hoi polloi, but that doesn't mean that the resorts you are 'dissing' don't offer the kind of skiing you value.
snow report
Quote:
Classing all French mountain food as "bad" is just a nonsense, in my opinion.

Mine as well.
There are some 'basic' restaurants but there are Michelin starrred restaurant's as well.
Val Thorens and Chamonix come immediately to mind.
latest report
...and Megève.
latest report
 brian
brian
TexMurphy wrote:

The dining well you have the entire range from good (italy) to bad (france) so yes your right.

Puzzled

French on-mountain prices may be high but ........ tarte aux myrtilles ffs !!
snow report
TexMurphy wrote:

Tex

Indeed. 'Dudist' language usually plays better on TGR. Interesting name for someone from Sweden though.
ski holidays
Worst mountain food I have ever had was in Whistler, closely followed by Lake Louise.
snow report
TexMurphy, have you tried Serre Chevalier, it's reputation of huge queues is rapidly diminishing thanks to several new chairlifts.French hols is busy but great the rest of the time. Gorgeous lunches at the Bivouac de Casse, Peyra Juana, and Le Troll. Far less expensive than 3v or Val Despair. Loads of off-piste, and a short drive to La Grave.
snow report
I know there is great, if not fantastic, offpist in Val d'Isere/Tignes, Chamonix and Avoriaz. Ive had memorable days in all of them.

Though I would not say that either resort has the offpiste crowed as its priority. What they do is that they provide a great guide service.

They dont provide inbounds offpist skiing and they dont glade trees to provide great tree sking within the inbounds area.

Tex
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Worst mountain food I have ever had was in Whistler.

Whistler is indeed bad mountain food... resort food is ok but far from great...

Not been to lake louise so cant compare.

Fernie has avg mountain food but very cheap... food in town is great on the other hand.. I was suppriced how good food there was as I was expecting quite bad "hillbilly food"...

Tex
snow report
TexMurphy wrote:
They dont provide inbounds offpist skiing and they dont glade trees to provide great tree sking within the inbounds area.

I thought you objected to the "Disneyfication" of the French resorts. Clearly this doesn't apply to the actual skiing! You want a proportion of trees cut down to make it easier to ski between them, and to blast the hell out of the snow so that there is almost no risk of avalanche activity anywhere near skiers, so they can wander around the terrain without thinking about mountaincraft.

rolling eyes
ski holidays
 brian
brian
TexMurphy wrote:

La Grave is no different in this respect.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy