Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for a really good boot fitter in the UK

Poster: A snowHead
pigeons

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 12-09-07 17:55; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jbob, Tener in the post.
But seriously, it was Mr Trap's kind of post that put the wind in my sails to start using this forum in the first instance, this kind of bad experience or mis-information does nobody; Manufacturer, Retailer, but most importantly the paying Customer any good. We(My Bootfitting Collegues), play with plastic, it's tollerances and shapes. IMO, every boot need some kind of customisation, to be the right fit (this is not an excuse for filling up the spaces with an expensive foam liner, in exchange for misinterpreting shell shape. You know who you are! ), but about sculpting the shell shape and accomodating any foot abnomalies with a foot bed.. This work requires, expertise, patientce and a heavy workshop.
Rightly, Mr Trap has a point, there are bad Bootfitters, even those whom are heralded as great, have to suffer the occasional 'Morning after the Apres Ski before' syndrome, but in truth you must find a good one, someone you can communicate with, someone with a passion for solving problems. Whether that be; Me, NZK, LZK, CEM, Lockwoods (Lee, Andy, John) Profeet or any other you can mention, these kind of skills are important to your enjoyment of your Sport/Pastime/Holiday.
We are a special bread, some may say arrogant, some stuborn, some hungry but beware, Bootfitting is the new Buzzword in the ski industry, every man and his dog are employing anyone who fancies a reputation and writing 'Bootfitting' across their windows. But i guess that might be better than just rubbishing our profession in it's entirety and then using you delete key rather than the customery, apology. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Laughing Laughing Laughing respect...

if wordsworth were still alive he would emplore your comments and support of our industry, it would seem as jbob has described there are people out ther what have not experienced a boot fitter of any calibre, Dear Mr Haggis [sir] I apologies that my country men do not take the fitting of ski boots as seriously as they prehaps should, but i can highly recomend that you seek out the right man for the job, there are a few around, where are you located and we may be able to point you somewhere north of the border
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CEM, Laughing Laughing Laughing keep working on that Eenglish speeling and grammur and you'll soon be as good a bootfitter as SZK wink wink (or are you just PWP tonight?)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
> "rather than the customery, apology"

Apologise... For what ?
I have every right to disagree with some of your quotes...
Such as -

> "every boot need some kind of customisation, to be the right fit"

Which isn't true. If you get the right boot in the first place then there is often no need for customisation.

However it appear your are infact using this forum for free advertising ?

Doug.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
6 billion pairs feet on the planet not one pair the same, around 60 different boot shapes, i need help with the maths.
What am i advertising? I'm promoting a profession, one it seems you have no need for. Your earlier, edited posts, suggested people like me were useless and a waste of time, i tried to defend that with my experience. I can't help you understand your ignorance further, sorry. Puzzled
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My brain hurts... Haggis_Trap, I don't know SZK, and don't think I will ever be in his shop as I have no plans to go to cham. I don't think he is advertising - and note that he also mentions profeet - who I don't think he is linked to. I might make it to CEM or Lockwoods some time to find replacement boots for the Technica ones sold to me by some div in S&R, which now work reasonably well having had major remedial bootfitting therapy on two continents. I wish I'd done it right the first time (and have said that for the previous 3 pairs of boots I bought Embarassed )

I am a tight fisted git looking for a deal, but it seems to me that unless you are contractually bound by your sponsor to wear one make of boot, going to buy ski boots with a preconception about the Brand, let alone the Model you want is almost as stupid as buying them off ebay because the colour is cool. You find someone you trust, who will look you in the eye, and you trust their opinion, because (numpties doing Saturday jobs in S&R aside) it is their reputation on the line, and word-of-mouth counts. It is the only area of ski gear where I would not look for a cheap deal.

SMALLZOOKEEPER, breathe deeply, think about your calm place, go and have a drink. snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Haggis_Trap, essentially SMALLZITSQUEEZER is spot on in saying that 100% of skiboots require adjustment, particularly if we accept your argument that there are only a limited number of sizes and shapes available to us plebs . . . but . . .

Some of us (including me) are lucky enough to have feet and bio-mechanics that fit within the shape envelope of a particular boot . . . but that doesn't mean our comfort, fit and from that, our ability to control ours skis cannot be enhanced by boot fitting professionals.

In our normal lives, the majority of us wear footwear that is malleable (unless of course you favour 5" stilettos? Confused ) so in most cases our footwear becomes shaped to our feet the skiboot ftter's role is to take an inert piece of plastic and provide a shape that emulates years of use into a product that we rarely wear for more than a couple of weeks.

You may, like me, be lucky with the shape of your feet and your choice of boot . . . but that really doesn't provide any substance other than an odour of presumptive smug ignorance to most of what you've said about boots and bootfitting.

edit thrice for apawling spullin and poop grammer (sic)

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 13-09-07 9:05; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think this thread stengthens the argument very well for not allowing editing of posts after a period of time, say 15 mins. It seems ridiculous when someone is in 'discussion' to be able to go back and change your argument and then be able to say: Ah look, but this is what I said. Editing a post 7 times??? and other posts as well? Surely that wasn't all just correction of typos Confused

Although you'd have to allow editing of posts in the Skier profiles thread Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
cathy wrote:
I think this thread stengthens the argument very well for not allowing editing of posts after a period of time, say 15 mins. It seems ridiculous when someone is in 'discussion' to be able to go back and change your argument and then be able to say: Ah look, but this is what I said. Editing a post 7 times??? and other posts as well? Surely that wasn't all just correction of typos Confused

Although you'd have to allow editing of posts in the Skier profiles thread Toofy Grin

you can always preserve a post by quoting it Little Angel
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno, but why should you have to preserve a post in this way, it shouldn't be required
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno wrote:
cathy wrote:

you can always preserve a post by quoting it Little Angel although the quote may not always be what was said

True wink wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cathy, fair point but someone else changing what was said is a slightly different point to someone editing their own post beyond all recognition
on another site i go to it is quite common practice to quote stupid.embarassing posts for the sake of preservation but we're more civil (and moderated) round here Little Angel
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have only suggested that people try on several different brands of ski boots.
And that customization isn't always necessary.

Seem more than reasonable advice.
However obviously SZK and co. have a commercial agenda to convince you otherwise...

Doug.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Doug.

why didn't you say that in the first place?
latest report
Haggis_Trap wrote:

That's not what I thought you'd said in your first few (unedited) posts. Sounded to me that you were saying a good bootfitter is unnecessary, all you need to do is trawl around until you fit the perfect boot off the shelf.
snow report
Haggis_Trap, from my view point I wouldn't presume to know what boot would be best for my foot. I would leave it to the professional boot-fitter, such as those who frequent this forum, to suggest one or two models which might be suitable for my foot & level of skiing and for them to take it from there. There would be little point in me just trying several different 'brands' of ski boots.

My boots themselves aren't customised but I do have molded insoles, done at profeet, and a whole load more supportive than the ones I got done at EB.

Who's to remember what Haggis_Trap said in the first place - its changed so many times! Toofy Grin

Arno, indeed and fair point!
snow report
In my experience a really good bootfitter spent 5 minutes just looking and feeling my feet (worth the admission fee alone Toofy Grin ) and then suggested 2 different makes to try on. After this he told me which I preferred and why. I was stunned by his knowledge and after that he had my total confidence. The resulting boots were my best ever ski related buy, by a bus ride.

Last edited by Frosty The Snowman on Thu Sep 13, 2007 11;30am; edited 3204 times in total
latest report
> why didn't you say that in the first place?

I did - please ask admin to bring back the un-edited version if your that worried.

Then dry your eyes and get on with it.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Last edited by Frosty The Snowman on Thu Sep 13, 2007 11;30am; edited 3204 times in total

You're a very naughty boy!

/Monty Python voice
snow report
Haggis_Trap,
Quote:

However obviously SZK and co. have a commercial agenda to convince you otherwise...

Commercally it's better for me to let you come to the shop, try on "Several Brands" and let you chose which one fits. What doesn't work is spending on average 3 hours with each client, carefully selecting a tight fitting shoe and then staying here all night and reshaping it for free, in my own time. rolling eyes
snow report
I would agree with Haggis_Trap, that
Quote:

I dont think everyone needs an expert boot fitter.
for a casual skier doing a week every couple years then hire boots make sense. Next step up is to buy some boots in a shop and if you are lucky they will feel comfortable and you will love them.

HOWEVER IMHO, although comfy they will not be fulfilling their full potantial as aids to improved skiing. The "feel" derived from a well made custom footbed and the adjustments made by a bootfitter are just too valuable for a "real skier" wink to ignore
ski holidays
SMZK - I have no doubt that your doing an excellent job, for people who want / require / or need custom fitted ski boots.
So lets just agree to disagree on some small points - and leave it at that.

For everyones sanity.
I am sure there is plenty more interesting things to discuss...
snow conditions
Haggis_Trap, sorry, but how can i be on a commercial adgenda of any sort, I don't work for any shop, just have access to the stock rooms of several that i can send my clients to to get boots, they can then have the options of

salomon, head, nordica, atomic,lange,fischer,daleboot, rossignol, dolomite [if they really want them] and dalbello if they are willing to travel. I do not care what make of boot my clients ski in so long as it is the right boot for them.

you have come on here and changed your mind so many times about what you said, what you ment to have said and what you actually mean, how can we take your point of view seriously.

as SMALLZOOKEEPER, has said you can walk in and pick any boot you like, you are in the minority who has comfortable boots off the shelf, although i wouldn't mind betting that they may be a size or so too big for you. wink

please do not think any of us are in this to make a million, it is a hard enough job to do without people saying it is a waste of time, we work all hours, at present i am working 7 days a week to cover weekends and evenings when my clinets can get to me..... besides you never know if you will break an ankle and need surgery or if diabetes will cause you to loose a part of your foot at some point in your life, at that time you may very well need the services of a boot fitter just so that you can enjoy your sport again. Little Angel
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
SMZK - I have no doubt that your doing an excellent job, for people who want / require / or need custom fitted ski boots.
So lets just agree to disagree on some small points - and leave it at that.

For everyones sanity.
I am sure there is plenty more interesting things to discuss...

Well no! You've opened a can o'worms. started a material debate. presented a shoulder monkey of prejudice and you have to live with that (and join us many members of the snwHeads 'tit of the week' club . . . just be grateful that that many sHs have the attention span of a flatulent goldfish and on the whole are quite forgiving of gross stupidity Embarassed )

There is a commercial aspect to bootfitting and given the price of skiboots that should be part of the purchase price and if we individuals are lucky enough to not need that service there should be a discount but it also perfectly clear that a majority of skiers benefit from having their boots fitted in the same way that many suffer unnecessary discomfort by not. The brand of boot has a role to play in that only in the sense that they all make boot shapes to suit the skiing purpose between race and recreation.
latest report
CEM, End of!
snow report
Isn't the most important thing about a ski boot is that the colour matches your outfit?
ski holidays
Spyderman, you better buy a new red jacket then {and make it a bright red one, with white on} Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CEM, Have you two been giving each other Head? Twisted Evil
snow report
CEM, Already got one, red & white Spyder jacket. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
CEM, Don't Technica make a red & white boot?
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, oh matron Laughing
latest report
SO..............

Are there any good bootfitters in the North of England?
ski holidays
Mosha Marc wrote:
SO..............

Are there any good bootfitters in the North of England?

Yep in Bicester Very Happy
ski holidays
...... or Scotland? Some of us would use them Laughing Laughing Seriously though, I am going to buy kids boots at the weekend and was just going to go to Blues. Bicester is just too far, can anyone recommend someone north of the border?
latest report
ickabodblue, CEM is Scottish, but he lives in Bicester.
snow report
Spyderman wrote:
CEM, Don't Technica make a red & white boot?

I used to have Tecnica boots. They were orange and fitted me rally well.

Strangely enough, my new boots are green, and they fit me even better.

Is this normal?

Yours sincerely,

Confused of Cirencester.
ski holidays
cathy,
Quote:

My boots themselves aren't customised but I do have molded insoles, done at profeet

I had been thinking of trailing up to Bicester to get the fit of my boots checked out, but this is SO much closer. Thanks for the recommendation - which I had already noted but not acknowledged. (Sorry, CEM, I really would like to have my feet manipulated by you or Cutie, but New Kings Road is a helluva lot closer for me.)
snow report
I was distressed to discover, after I had bought my black Lange boots three years ago (or was it four?) that they also come in navy blue - which would have matched my now eight or nine year old fartbag. (Gear junkies, please note.) BTW, I'm told I look quite cool in my gear (for a pixie.)

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 13-09-07 18:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, It is not the nationality I'm bothered about it is the distance ! ! ! I can't nip out to Bicester on a Friday afternoon rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy