Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for a really good boot fitter in the UK

Poster: A snowHead
Red Leon, I'd say it's an ideal time to get a pair of boots of your own, preferably fitted by an experienced bootfitter. I try to avoid all heel lift whatsoever, and you shouldn't have to clip your boots up so tight that they need to be loosened at the end of each run. If you are conscious of a poor connection between foot and ski I'd say that a correctly fitted boot will make a difference.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Red Leon, Or if in Scotland, buy any pair off the shelf and give them a go.....especially if they happen to match your jacket, then you'll not only be super hip, but also ski like the wind, as opposed to skiing like you have wind....

(alternatively, for proper advice, get yourself down to the boot clinic next month, the buffet is going to be be extraordinary wink )
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In Scotland we ski on mountains, not in snow domes...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Haggis_Trap, In England, we ski elsewhere, so I miss your point?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When god handed out all the land in the world, the Picts as they were known as then, waited and waited. Finally they approached god and said "have you forgotten us?" "I am so sorry" said god "but its all gone! ...{long pause}.. I do have one really nice little bit left that I saved for my own retirement and because you have waited so long without complaining I am going to let you have it." Which just proves what a great sense of humor God has and why to this day the jocks think............
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Haggis_Trap wrote:

So who skis at Braehead?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
Haggis_Trap wrote:

So who skis at Braehead?

Its apparently pretty quiet... However I have only been once.
Seemed a bit strange skiing in a fridge listening to MC Hammer on the sound system.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
monster77 wrote:
Tried it once, to scarry, full of mad jocks who only read what suits them. Very Happy

To be fair, you're only really likely to get chibbed in Glasgow. wink

Not much of a monster are you ? Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Haggis_Trap wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Haggis_Trap wrote:

So who skis at Braehead?

Its apparently pretty quiet... However I have only been once.
Seemed a bit strange skiing in a fridge listening to MC Hammer on the sound system.

OK. So perhaps you meant to say "In Scotland we ski on mountains, and only sometimes in snow domes". This has the virtue of being correct, although I accept that it doesn't quite have the same ring to it as your first try Wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Your nit-picking now.
However I am guessing you have never been north of Watford either ?
Do you happen to dislike the Scots? What a result in the football against the french Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Haggis_Trap wrote:
I am guessing you have never been north of Watford either ?
Do you happen to dislike the Scots?

Spent a little bit of time in Edinburgh and Glasgow, but never skied in Scotland. What makes you think I don't like Scots?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Red Leon,
Quote:

So, serious questions: have my boots been a poor fit so far and would properly-fitted boots help my skiing???

God, yes. Little Angel
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar wrote:
What makes you think I don't like Scots?

Perhaps the fact that your country is run by a Scot
However to be honest I am not a Labour voter. (I dont agree with the war in Iraq)

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 14-09-07 14:43; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Haggis_Trap, Take this elsewhere now mate, i'll quite happily banter with you away from a long forgotten thread title. rolling eyes
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Haggis_Trap wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
What makes you think I don't like Scots?

Perhaps the fact that your country is run by a Scot
However to be honest I am not a Labour voter. (I dont agree with the war in Iraq)

Blimey, we've slipped into politics now! Just FYI, if there was an election tomorrow it would be one of the two Scots that I would want to win and run "my country" (whatever that it). All the Scottish people I know, socially as well as professionally, have been great people; I have no reason to believe they aren't typical.

Do trolls eat haggis, or is it only goats?
snow report
Red Leon, Just make sure you buy Green ones, because they're the best. wink
ski holidays
I've skied in Scotland, eaten Haggis and like Whisky, but I'd still buy my boots from a Bootfitter and rather ski somewhere else.
snow report
 brian
brian
rob@rar wrote:
Just FYI, if there was an election tomorrow it would be one of the two Scots that I would want to win and run "my country"

Yes, I imagine there's a lot of people would like El Gordo to f off to Wales ...

Laughing

Need to get that lack of Scottish skiing on your cv sorted though Rob wink
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:
I've skied in Scotland, eaten Haggis and like Whisky, but I'd still buy my boots from a Bootfitter and rather ski somewhere else.

Who's Scottish.... wink
latest report
brian wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Just FYI, if there was an election tomorrow it would be one of the two Scots that I would want to win and run "my country"

Yes, I imagine there's a lot of people would like El Gordo to f off to Wales ...

Laughing

Need to get that lack of Scottish skiing on your cv sorted though Rob wink

Laughing Laughing

I've occasionally thought about heading north rather than south for skiing, but it just seems so much better value for money to head out to the Tarentaise, especially now that I have a season pass and a place to stay. One day maybe; I'd probably be a bit scared though, a few of the Scottish skiers I know are way too hardcore for me!
snow report
 brian
brian
rob@rar, can't really argue with that, but it'd be an experience wink
ski holidays
Well to be fair its a long way from London to Scotland.
Especially at short notice - which is often required to get the best conditions these days.

However when the snow is good I love skiing in Scotland.
But its much easier if you live within 3 or 4 hours drive.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
brian wrote:
rob@rar, can't really argue with that, but it'd be an experience wink

Getting beaten up by Millwall supporters is an experience. I'd like a nice experience, please.
latest report
brian wrote:
........ but it'd be an experience wink

It is that!

You need to get yer nads lagged for a start. Confused
snow conditions
 monster77
monster77
Red Leon wrote:
monster77 wrote:
Haggis_Trap wrote:
monster77 wrote:
Haggis_Trap, You put your location as Sunny Ecosse, Which planet is that on Puzzled

Have you ever been north of Watford?

Tried it once, to scarry, full of mad jocks who only read what suits them. Very Happy

As in the song 'scarry scarry night' Puzzled rolling eyes

Blonde moment. I have corrected my typo rolling eyes
snow report
Haggis_Trap, Ever felt the need to visit Chamonix Toofy Grin
snow report
boredsurfin, I do transfers, the paper ones laced with acid. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
boredsurfin, I do transfers, the paper ones laced with acid. Madeye-Smiley

Yeah, well I suspected you might be on something... Blue

boredsurfin wrote:
Haggis_Trap, Ever felt the need to visit Chamonix Toofy Grin

Chamonix is pretty cool - but have only skied there for a week.
The Envers Du Plan was a great off piste descent, as was the glacier up in Argentiere.
However there is plenty more that I want to go back and ski there.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Haggis_Trap, It open's the mind. wink Cool
snow report
Interesting - if not exactly brand-new - piece (IMV) here. Not surprisingly, it mirrors the (generally accepted) view of the 'experts' on this thread.
snow conditions
Red Leon wrote:
Interesting - if not exactly brand-new - piece (IMV) here. Not surprisingly, it mirrors the (generally accepted) view of the 'experts' on this thread.

Seems like sensible advice, but I'm surprised they didn't say to test out new boots for a few hours at local dry/indoor slope. Not even an experienced bootfitter will get every fitting right first time, and problems will sometimes only become apparent after skiing in them (rather than a few ungainly laps around the ski shop). Obviously buying in resort has the advantage that it's easy to get back to the shop for adjustments, but you can help avoid the disadvantage of buying in the UK if you ski on plastic for a few hours before your ski holiday.
snow report
That "Alps Center" sounds a great place to buy from. Twisted Evil
snow report
rob@rar wrote:

Seems like sensible advice, but I'm surprised they didn't say to test out new boots for a few hours at local dry/indoor slope. .

Exactly. I would recommend skiing on a boot if at all possible, especially before any customization.

Generally I think thats a good article, and I find very little to disagree with. Apart from one (small) quote...

“There can be an issue when people go into a shop with a brand in mind: you should take the advice of the well-trained staff.”

Well from my own experience I know that Tecnica boots fit my feet way better than any other brand. I have taken time to try on the Nordicas / Salomons etc. But they just simply didn't feel as good, in terms of performance and fit, as the Tecnica diablo's (or the Icons that I owned before them). NOTE : this doesn't make Salomon or Nordica bad boots - many of my friends love them, but they simply weren't for me.

If I was buying a pair of boots tomorrow then I would be very reluctant to consider a shop that didn't stock Tecnica. Though I guess I am a very small part of the market - given that I generally know exactly what I want from ski equipment before I go into the shop.

EDIT : Please note this isn't a pop at SZK or CEM. And I have no reason to believe that they don't do an excellent job of fitting ski boots Very Happy

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 17-09-07 9:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap wrote:
... from my own experience I know that Tecnica boots fit my feet way better than any other brand.

All Technica boots, or just some of them? I don't know much about Technica (or ski booots in general to be honest), but I assume they offer a few different shape/volume sizes across their range?
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap, have you Dalbello or Full-tilt?

That line which you disagree with is probably one of the key lines in the article.
Staff who are well trained and have a wide range of brands and models in stock will know far more about what model of boot might work than some punter who has owned a couple of pairs of boots in the last decade.
latest report
rob@rar, yes, they do. I'll bow to CEM/SZK to provide the actual last sizes, but they do vary in shape.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy