Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for a really good boot fitter in the UK

Poster: A snowHead
ickabodblue, I think he was joking. Admittedly, one can't always tell...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hurtle, ask for Hamish (if he's still there). He did my feet a few years ago and I thought he knew is stuff.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, Ta, noted.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar wrote:
Hurtle, ask for Hamish (if he's still there). He did my feet a few years ago and I thought he knew is stuff.

Hamish Wolfenden is the manager of Profeet. If you want him you better book him well in advance.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle, although I went to profeet fully prepared to buy a new pair of boots Very Happy they said my current ones were fine Sad Sad Toofy Grin

They did wonders for the OH though - he smashed both ankles when he was a little boy falling off a wall and as a consequence really has totally flat as a plank feet and serious over-pronation - great big ankles bones sticking out on the inside of his feet. After being in real pain for quite a few years when skiing, and always having to change into a soft pair of shoes when possible, profeet really sorted out a good pair of boots customised to his feet. Totally pain free skiing now and he can't praise them enough snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cathy, I don't think I need new boots, they don't feel loose (or hurt anywhere) I'm just slightly worried that they are too comfortable! I have been brainwashed by the professional foot fetishists on here, into thinking that my boots are probably too big. In any event, it's possible that a little more footbed support - Snow & Rock supplied footbeds, but I don't have total faith in their expertise - would improve what passes for my technique. That's my thinking, anyway, heaven knows whether it makes sense, my techie knowledge, like my technique, is sketchy. Embarassed
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle wrote:
I'm just slightly worried that they are too comfortable!

Always a bad sign!

Wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle, that's exactly what I thought - my boots were too comfortable and hadn't needed any modifying Confused . But they were fine - but the footbeds they did were very good.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle, Time will tell, being comfortable is the overall goal, if you start to ski more quickly but don't feel confident at speed because of the feeling you have inside your boots, then a change of liner or boot maybe needed, until then, dont over think it. Little Angel
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Aw, thanks Cutie, for the selfless advice. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Spyderman wrote:
CEM, Don't Technica make a red & white boot?

I used to have Tecnica boots. They were orange and fitted me rally well.

Strangely enough, my new boots are green, and they fit me even better.

Is this normal?

Yours sincerely,

Confused of Cirencester.

Do you know if Tecnica make a green boot then? Thanks for the advice. Green ones it is then. Better buy a new jacket to match as well.
snow report
 monster77
monster77
Haggis_Trap, You put your location as Sunny Ecosse, Which planet is that on Puzzled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
monster77 wrote:
Haggis_Trap, You put your location as Sunny Ecosse, Which planet is that on Puzzled

Actually Tiree, in Scotland, is the sunniest place in the UK Very Happy

Have you ever been north of Watford?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Haggis_Trap, Your head ever been south of your ar$e? Toofy Grin

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 14-09-07 11:57; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Now, Now boys rolling eyes
snow report
holidayloverxx, Toofy Grin
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Haggis_Trap, You're head ever been south of your ar$e? Toofy Grin

Is that the best abuse you can dish out ?
Good job that I managed to quote it for everyone to see wink

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 14-09-07 13:25; edited 2 times in total
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
Now, Now boys rolling eyes

Its fine... If thats the best SZK can manage then I have nothing to worry about.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 14-09-07 12:06; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap wrote:

Is that because the sun is shining out of a certain fundamental orrifice?
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:
Haggis_Trap wrote:

Is that because the sun is shining out of a certain fundamental orrifice?

You dont believe me that Tiree is the sunniest place in the uk ?

http://www.calmac.co.uk/accommodation-tiree.html

I am not the one dishing out poor quality abuse.
However please keep it up. Its making me laugh lots.
Do you want my phone number or email address ? And we can discuss this further ?
snow report
Haggis_Trap, not according to the Met Office. That webpage you quoted actually claims to be "one of" the suniest places in the UK. They might also not be the most impartial source of evidence Wink
ski holidays
It obviously changes every year - and some years Tiree is the sunniest place in the UK.
Which is surprising, as its in the Hebridees's.

That same web page also shows that the Lake District is the wettest place wink

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 14-09-07 12:14; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Haggis_Trap, Yes it's the best i can do. Cool
snow conditions
Haggis_Trap, I'm sure that's right. What year(s) was Tiree the sunniest?
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap, maybe it is your shining wit or enlightening knowledge which helps lay claim to such lofty aspirations?
latest report
Come on - can't we let this lie now?? Although he's in the wrong wink it's not nice to be ganged up on

PS - I don't think I've ever known Cutie to amend a post, although sometimes it would be welcome Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cathy, I did, i changed 'you're' to 'your'.

It was unavoidable. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
cathy wrote:
Come on - can't we let this lie now?? Although he's in the wrong wink it's not nice to be ganged up on

Its OK - I am quite happy to give as good as I get. Just don't expect any apologies.
Unlike the 5000+ post brigade I don't need to resort to low quality personal abuse.

Doug

p.s My only lofty aspirations are to one day finish climbing all of Scotland's 284 munro's Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Haggis_Trap, I meant you too wink
snow conditions
Having left this thread on Wed I pop back in on Friday amazed to find a row about Scottish weather. Now that is something I really do know about, BTW has anyone here ever waxed the top of their skis?
latest report
There's ONLY one thing this thread is MISSING now. Laughing Wink
snow report
jbob,
Quote:

BTW has anyone here ever waxed the top of their skis?

can't say i have, but we used to apply flouro paste wax to the side walls of speed skis Toofy Grin
ski holidays
rob@rar,

[pedant alert] Your 'book by July...' tag-line is looking a little out-of-date now. [/pedant alert]
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
There's ONLY one thing this thread is MISSING now. Laughing Wink

La Rossiere ? No better than Glencoe ?
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap, i am sure Wear The Fox Hat ment DG Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Red Leon wrote:
rob@rar,

[pedant alert] Your 'book by July...' tag-line is looking a little out-of-date now. [/pedant alert]

Done, thanks for the reminder.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Hurtle, Time will tell, being comfortable is the overall goal, if you start to ski more quickly but don't feel confident at speed because of the feeling you have inside your boots, then a change of liner or boot maybe needed, until then, dont over think it. Little Angel

Let's try to drag this away from the Scots' sunshine record for a mo if we can..

I have only ever hired boots (6 trips so far) and I'm forever having to tighten the clips right up at the top of the slope and then unclip them at the bottom ('cos they hurt) but I almost never feel there's much of a connection between my foot and my ski. This is especially worrying at speed (not that I dare go very fast as I'm a pretty crap skiier - no talent for it, apparently Sad ).There's always a degree of heel-lift and I've always wondered how much - if any- there ought to be but never known how to quantify it.

So, serious questions: have my boots been a poor fit so far and would properly-fitted boots help my skiing???

(Stands back and wonders whether this might heve been better as a new thread entirely...)

Edit: added parenthesis to assist comprehension of poorly-constructed sentence Embarassed
snow report
 monster77
monster77
Haggis_Trap wrote:
monster77 wrote:

Tried it once, to scary, full of mad jocks who only read what suits them. Very Happy

Last edited by monster77 on Fri 14-09-07 18:16; edited 1 time in total
latest report
monster77 wrote:
Haggis_Trap wrote:
monster77 wrote:

Tried it once, to scarry, full of mad jocks who only read what suits them. Very Happy

As in the song 'scarry scarry night' Puzzled rolling eyes
latest report
Red Leon,
Quote:

have my boots been a poor fit so far and would properly-fitted boots help my skiing???

Yes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy