Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Marquise - Whistler

Poster: A snowHead
Has anybody stayed in the Marquise apartments in Whistler Upper Village. If so are they OK? Are they in walking distance of the village for a night out?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure what the Marquise apartments are like, not stayed there, but looking at the map I reckon you are probably about 10 to 15 mins walk from the village (though there are bars and restaurants in Blackcomb (upper village) too).
There is also a free bus that runs right past and goes to the village. Not sure what it's like, but it seems to run regularly and until quite late.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.alluradirect.com/ has a lot of photos of all the accommodation in Whistler. Very Happy

It also looks quite close to the slope on http://ww1.whistlerblackcomb.com/accommodation/map/uppervillage/index.htm

Have you been to Whistler before nigels?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
nigels, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No this will be a first time in Whistler (or Canada for that matter). Can't wait !! snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nigels wrote:
No this will be a first time in Whistler (or Canada for that matter). Can't wait !! snowHead

Okay here's some advice for Whistler:
1. Make sure your ski jacket and trousers are waterproof.
2. Don't eat chilli bowls more than 2 days on the run

Oh and have you read the threads about cougar attacks? You'd better bring your body armour and a baseball bat, just in case (however, I've only seen ferocious squirrels and marmots there myself...). Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
twice when we were there we saw bears (youngsters) playing below the chair lift as it went through a cutting in some trees. Perhaps luckily mama bear was somewhere else at the time, we were quite glad that we were moving and some way above them.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I stayed at the Marquise on my first visit to Whistler which was at least ten years ago. It's a bit of a walk to get over into Whistler Village, not too bad if you're just going to the base of Blackcomb. Your best bet is to grab a shuttle bus which stops at or very close to the Marquise. You can walk about 100 level yards and put your skis on and slide down to the Blackcomb lift....same short walk coming back. Almost ski-in-out but not quite. The Marquise was fine as I recall. Asuming normal upgrades over the years, it should be a very good lodging option for you.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I didn't notice this one when I started a thread about Canada Embarassed

Thanks to Crystal Holidays we ended up at a dump this year so I was very keen to find a map and find out where our apartment would be - and to get some piccies of it.

So, look here: http://www.tourismwhistler.com/resources/maps/village_map.asp
For an fantastic pdf map of the village and area (you can zoom right in to get *lots* of detail). The second page has a key for all the places on the map.
Be warned - I printed these out at A3 size and the text is still quite small - but they've been a godsend for figuring out what's where.

The Marquise is number 73 up at the top left (square C2)
We're staying in Woodrun (76 - a couple of buildings along) in the apartment on the far right (just next to the piste)

There's also a list here:http://www.mywhistler.com/plan_your_trip/accommo/accommodations.asp of many accomodation places.

This site: http://www.whistleraccommodation.com/ has piccies and very often layout maps for different places (so you can see if you're next to the lift shaft etc!)

When are you going? We're off last week in Jan/1st week in February.

David
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
lbt wrote:
I didn't notice this one when I started a thread about Canada Embarassed

Thanks to Crystal Holidays we ended up at a dump this year so I was very keen to find a map and find out where our apartment would be - and to get some piccies of it.

So, look here: http://www.tourismwhistler.com/resources/maps/village_map.asp
For an fantastic pdf map of the village and area (you can zoom right in to get *lots* of detail). The second page has a key for all the places on the map.
Be warned - I printed these out at A3 size and the text is still quite small - but they've been a godsend for figuring out what's where.

The Marquise is number 73 up at the top left (square C2)
We're staying in Woodrun (76 - a couple of buildings along) in the apartment on the far right (just next to the piste)

There's also a list here:http://www.mywhistler.com/plan_your_trip/accommo/accommodations.asp of many accomodation places.

This site: http://www.whistleraccommodation.com/ has piccies and very often layout maps for different places (so you can see if you're next to the lift shaft etc!)

When are you going? We're off last week in Jan/1st week in February.

David
We stayed at the Marquise in January 2003 (bad year - it rained all the way to the top of the mountains the day before we arrived and ruined the snow for us).

The Marquise is an apartment block, at the base of Blackcomb mountain. There is a free bus stop at the end of the driveway that takes you on the village loop to get to Whistler proper - or if you're too lazy to walk down to the Blackcomb lifts. It is not quite ski-in, ski-out but there is only a short level walk of about 150m to reach the piste, then about 200m down to the chairlifts.

The apartments are mostly privately owned but are rented out through an agency who co-ordinate your stay, because of this each apartment is different internally, both in layout and decor. We stayed in 603 which was a one bedroom apartment very nicely done, just up in the eaves of the building, and had a giant 60" rear projection tv to watch after a long day on the hills. There are some good central facitilies in the block, such as an indoor jacuzzi and a heated outdoor pool (and a range of vending machines in the lobby for those emergency snacks)

The area around it is VERY quiet, there are no bars, shops or facilties of any kind, you have to go into the village for those, so if you're looking for somewhere to stumble home to each night then this isn't the place for you. The walk into town - if you choose to walk - is very picturesque, passing over the Fitzsimmons creek which looks great in the snow.

If I went back to whistler I would probably choose somewhere like the woodrun lodge, which is piste side and has heated pools within spitting distance of the chairlifts, and is also truly ski-in-and-outable. If I had to go back to the Marquise I wouldn't object, we had a great time there.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

The area around it is VERY quiet, there are no bars, shops or facilties of any kind, you have to go into the village for those, so if you're looking for somewhere to stumble home to each night then this isn't the place for you. The walk into town - if you choose to walk - is very picturesque, passing over the Fitzsimmons creek which looks great in the snow.

There are a few bars in Blackcomb (Upper village), Merlins, Monks, small one in the Glacier lodge (that I can't remember the name of). Also a few shops and restaurants. These are nearer than stumbling back from the village (which does have many more bars/restaurants/shops).
We've only stayed right smack bang in the village in previous years, but this year we'll be further out (Forrest trails - quite near the Marquise), so a longer stumble for us too snowHead
see http://www.tourismwhistler.com/to_do/dining_nightlife.asp
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Welcome to snowHeads, skiskool snowHead

That's pretty substantial for a first post!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Guys, it is Whistler, we will all have a great, fab, lovely, wonderful, time snowHead snowHead

OK, ok, i'm biased, i love it there. The Marquise is fine, about a 15 minute stroll to the main village (I am a slow walker!!) and has the big advantage of being lovely and quiet at night. A couple of the restaurants in the UpperVillage are definitely worth a visit.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well thanks for the info all of you. We are there in March so will miss you lbt but have a great trip. By the way has anyone ever done Ski Esprit in Whistler. Considering going for four days on the first week we are there, just to be shown around the mountain and brush up the technique. Can anyone recommend it or otherwise?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ski Esprit is great fun. Sometimes the group size can be a little on the large size (I've been in a group of 8 or 9), but it is very social, a good way to discover the mountains (they alternate between them each day), a good way to cover a lot of ground, as well as improving your technique.
I've only done the ski esprit at the weekend (though they always offer a 4th day for about CA$50 so it goes from Friday to monday), and it's always been a good way to avoid the weekend queues.
Apres is organised for the end of each day, slight down side is that it starts at 4ish and finishers err... not so good for you next day skiing snowHead - though if the rest of the group is there too everyone feels as bad!! snowHead

In summary: Great social skiing, cover loads of ground, learn loads.
If you want something really technical it may not be the thing for you (try a supergroup or one of the ski camps).
I shall probably be doing a Ski Esprit or 2 this season (subject to surviving the Extremely Canadian Camps - cheers Robbie Wink snowHead )
ski holidays
nigels, Esprit rocks, give it a try. I will be there from March 9 and will certianly be playing in Esprit a couple of times in my trip. Very social, lots of ski miles, adn good technical instruction. you cant really go wrong with it. Also, if you are there outside of the main school hilidays, group sizes should be fine.
stuarth, Aghh, stop whinging, you'll be fine Laughing
latest report
nigels wrote:
By the way has anyone ever done Ski Esprit in Whistler. Considering going for four days on the first week we are there, just to be shown around the mountain and brush up the technique. Can anyone recommend it or otherwise?

Hi nigels. I've done ski esprit both at weekend and during the week. I prefer the weekend esprit, if you're budgeting to do it the once during your stay - it's quieter at the weekend for some reason so the groups tend to be a little smaller. It's all good!

You spend the 1st and 3rd days on Whistler mountain and the 2nd and 4th days on Blackcomb. The instructors put the emphasis on learning while having fun so it won't be a regimented session with the instructor shouting at you for skiing badly, but a really fun day instead. snowHead

I really like the apres afterwards because it gives you a chance to talk about all the antics you got up to during the day (and you get free nibbles too!). You have the apres with all the rest of the ski and snowboard esprit classes so you can hook up with your friends who might be in different classes. Cool

You can either do the 3 or 4 day esprit. If you book for 3 days you can then go and buy a ticket for the 4th day the night before the 4th day, at no extra cost. That means if you're knees are feeling a bit wobbly by then, you get the choice if you want to do the final day or not. Cool

I'm going to try out some supergroups classes this year. The only downside is that they only do Blackcomb...and scary runs like the Jersey Cream bowl. Shocked Skullie Very Happy
snow conditions
Hi all

Well Whistler seems like a distant memory now, but I thought I would give some feedback for anyone thinking of going there for a first time.

In a nutshell, and having skied most major French resorts, Whistler is fantastic. The levels of service, the grooming, the endless off piste for all levels, these things are just not available in Europe.

We did 4 days in Ski Esprit, probably the most fun you can have. It is all day stuff, and you really cover the mountain in small groups. At lunch on the first day they move people up and down if you have been wrong in estimating your ability, so the upside is that you end up with a group of your ability. That said, I learnt lots in the group, they really stretch you, especiallt off piste!

The ski area on the two mountains is enormous, we were there two weeks and there really is enough to keep you busy for that length of time.

We stayed in the Marquise in the upper village, a few minutes walk to the piste, and right on the courtesy bus route. Upper village is much quiter than the main village, but has some good bars and great resturants. The main village is only 10 mins walk anyway. I must say that although there are some great hotels the condo option is fantastic. We only ate in for breakfast, and ate out most nights. There is an unbelievable choice of resturants and prices are very reasonable.

One last thing you should do at least one is fresh tracks. Basically choose a day the has overnight snow forecast, and a €15 pass buys you an early lift up (7:15 or so), as much breakfast as you can stuff in, and skiing in beautiful powder with only a few hundred people till the open the lifts for the rabble about 2 hrs later. Just amazing.

So, if you are thinking of going to Whistler, just don't put it off, it is a fab resort. We went in the worst snow year in memory and are going back next winter so I guess that says it all!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy