Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Have you ever been hit by a speeding skier?

Have you ever been the innocent victim of a collision with a speeding skier?
Yes, and I've sustained injuries as a result
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
Yes, but I miraculously escaped unhurt
44%
 44%  [ 34 ]
No, but I've had some narrow escapes
40%
 40%  [ 31 ]
Accidents? They're something that happen to other people
7%
 7%  [ 6 ]
Voted : 73
Total Votes : 76

Poster: A snowHead
Chris Bish, I for one agree with you. We all enjoy the thrills and it is a fine line between that and being irresponsible. As much as we try to stay on the right side of the line, we probably all come close at one time or another.

I agree that the poll results seem to disagree with my earlier comments that you would have to be "unlucky" to be hit, but I think that the question may be a little subjective due to different perceptions of "speed". I am not as experienced as many on this forum and have probably spent about 100 days on pistes, but I do not recall a single accident when someone else was hit by someone speeding. I simply cannot recall seeing a collision and thinking "ouch that must have hurt" or "that guy is a lunatic and has just clobbered that unfortunate soul". I have seen plenty of collisions and plenty of lunatics, just never at the same time.

Maybe I am discounting those less dangerous slower speed contacts whereas others are not, or maybe I just spend my time focussed on where I am going and the people around me, and do not notice numerous high speed collisions elsewhere on the piste.

All in all, considering the nature of the sport, I think that the pistes are remarkably free of skier-on-skier accidents (I am including all piste users within that definition).
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chris Bish...
Quote:
It's not so different from having a sneaky go through the kids' slalom course when the instructor isn't looking.

Evil or Very Mad Wink Wink
Boy, have I given some people stick when they do that!! A few reasons... depending on conditions, the courses get very iffy very quickly when young club racers are training. They are skiing right on the limit, and when inexpert skiers (sorry Chris!) come down, spraying the little remaining snow off the run, they are actually making the course more dangerous for the trainees. The other reason is that when people see a tourist skiing a slalom run, they think they can all do it, some joining the course where visibility is poor, not realising that the racer ten year old is coming up behind them at more than twice their speed.

On the other hand there is a degree of responsibility on the club and the resort to make training runs safe, but scarce resources mean that's just not practical.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PG, Pete, you will not offend me by being realistic about my skiing ability. I consider it a miracle and an astounding privilege I can do it at all.

At the top of Zermatt there is a slalom course laid out for anyone to have a go at. How are you supposed to know the difference? And why leave it there during the 2 hour lunch-break if it's sacred?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Believe me Chris, I only do the slalom run when the club's training if they're in need of cheering up Laughing

When a run's abandoned like that, it's fair game. They expect people to use it, and will either reset the course, or slide it, before getting stuck in again.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The instructor would have to a very long lunch for me to get down it without being spotted. Wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As well as the occasion when I was hit ( ski insurance 2 thread ) the worst accident I've seen was also at a piste crossing. Afterwards the woman who had been hit by the speeding skier was unconscious and was going blue, choking on her own tongue (?) One of our party was a doctor and for years had been carrying an Airway with other first-aid stuff in her rucksack (not sure if that's the right name: plastic tube with a bend, to push down the throat of someone choking). She saved that person's life, absolutely no doubt.
I wonder what proportion of fatal collisions are at piste crossings.

As to people passing on paths, if I do it I always go on the very edge of the path, knocking my sticks together so they hear me coming, and always ready to ski off the edge if the slower skier cuts accross me.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PS Worst accident I've heard about was from a friend who skis (and teaches) in Japan. Someone was knocked over and another skier skied over his neck !!! Sliced his jugular: he died of blood loss in a couple of minutes.
I know it's stereotyping but it just sounds so Japanese.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 19-10-04 15:20; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowball, as well as carrying the right gear she had the knowledge to use it and just as importantly did not panic, I wonder how many others would have been able to do the same ?

I have heard in recent years that there are supposed to be EU ? regulations coming in sometime soon to stop pistes crossing drag lifts, the object being to stop or at least reduce accidents. I guess the next step would be to do something about the way that runs join up with each other
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The day after the accident with my doctor friend (Nell Wyatt, anyone know her?) they had put in a sort of chicane to slow the faster piste at the piste crossing. I think that sort of thing is getting more common.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
not been hit by skier but have been hit by boarder
First day of a week in Andorra, twisted my knee badly and was off piste for few days and had to drop out of ski school Crying or Very sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As reported previously (on the various "why I wear a helmet" threads), I was hit by a high-speed boarder who took me out when he entered the trail I was on from a merging trail (from above and behind me).

Worst thing was that the trail I was on was wide and deserted. It was a bit like running into the only other car on the parking lot. Mrs Acacia, who'd elected to go down the same steep trail as the boarder, rather than pootle round the easy way with me, saw the whole thing and couldn't believe how the b****r didn't see me.

Separated my shoulder and screwed up the subsequent cricket season for me.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Same with me (but without injury except bruises) but it was a skier and we were the only people on the mountain at the end of the day. He was bombing a red run and I was going in a straight line gently home on a green.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 19-10-04 18:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Was the question specifically put:
Quote:
Have you ever been the innocent victim of a collision with a speeding skier
rather than skier/boarder because it would have a completely different result? Shocked Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Although, I too have voted with the majority here, it was a speeding boarder not a skier.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry, I worded the question badly but don't know how to change it. I suspect that, as a group, boarders are no more or less dangerous than skiers.

Is that conciliatory enough?
snow conditions
Jonny Jones, as a boarder, I interpreted the reference to skier as generic so that it included bladers, boarders, those silly ski tricycle things etc.

Many people posting replies have made a distinction between boarders and skiers as if that changes the nature of the incident. I feel that this is unnecessary and against the point of the question.

With some difficulty, i resisted the temptation to make an issue of this as it seemed to be going off on a tangent and would no doubt spark an entirely separate (and flogged to death) debate about whether one set of piste users is worse than another.
latest report
Jonny Jones, well said and very true but if you were ever on the old SCGB discussion site you'll have seen very different opinions from quite a few of the posters. We are a nice bunch..........no really we are...........honest guv!! Wink snowHead
snow report
Tony Lane wrote:

Quote:

Many people posting replies have made a distinction between boarders and skiers as if that changes the nature of the incident. I feel that this is unnecessary and against the point of the question.

I haven't made a distinction, but I have named the culprit as a boarder, because.....well, he was riding a board.

Simply ensuring accuracy of information.
snow report
Acacia, I understand your point and agree that your post was not making a distinction.

The problem with the written word is that sometimes the impression created by the message can be unintended - an analogy with the above is that it is not racist to say that someone is black, but it would be racist to say so in a way that suggests that their race alters the facts. I got the impression that some posters were doing the latter - but maybe i was just being oversensitive, having been on the receiving end of much anti-boarder prejudice over the years.
ski holidays
To be fair I've never been hit by a boarder, though I do recall a very very near miss, but I have come close to decapitating a pair of boarders who were sunbathing in the middle of the piste beyond a jump Laughing
snow report
I was taken out by a skier in Avoriaz on a very busy, but wide piste. Mr Q saw it all happen. This big guy, Dutch I think (I like most Dutch people) came schussing round a corner, kind of straight lining it and hit me from behind at an angle. I remember being up in the air for long enough to think "people die from stuff like this". He gathered me up when I landed and picked me up, apologising profusely. He obviously shouldn't have done that in case something was broken, but amazingly it wasn't.

Once he saw I was ok, he skiied off. I had a slice through my ski pants, and a gouge in my ski boot, about one inch from the top. Any higher and he would have had my leg. I was in shock, and extremely sore for the rest of the week and had to go to an osteopath when I got home to be untwisted.

I don't feel comfortable on very busy runs still, and try to keep to the edge away from everyone else. The snow's often better there anyway.
ski holidays
Whilst I have no problems with boarders generally, I do have a problem with the ones who have no idea on how to control themselves on their snowboards, I had a very angry argument with one who wiped out a girl I met and only missed me by a couple of inches.
Thankfully no punches were thrown but his attitude towards the whole thing was appalling. Evil or Very Mad

Look, I've now got 100 posts after 8 months of being on SnowHeads! Laughing
snow report
RichardB, congratulations on your century!

I'm approaching 500 now, which might be why I'm putting on a few pointless ones!
snow conditions
Thanks, Chris Bish.

It will probably be 5 years before I'm on your amount of posts! Laughing
ski holidays
RichardB, it's probably a bit late to worry about trying to catch up with my posting then snowHead
snow report
Scary moments:
A spanish gentleman skied into me about 9 years ago & broke my jaw in 3 places; ruined my teeth too. He was apparently looking at his feet so he wouldn't be so scared when going fast as his friends had been making fun of him. I was knocked out, medical shock, 6 days in hospital, 3 plates in my jaw (still) and 23 days wired up (which some might consider a blessing!) Shocked
Early last winter I was standing at the bottom of the lift on the gentlest nursery slope we have, waiting for my ankle biters to go through - WHAM! a snowboarder used me as a stopping post. My back was dodgier than normal all season. Crying or Very sad
About 10 years ago whilst ski-ing the black Combe Valentin with a 12 year old pupil I was rugby tackled by an out of control snowboarder (he must have thought I could stop him). He took both of us about 200m down the slope before eventually letting me go. I wasn't hurt, but my young client was very alarmed, and never had quite the same confidence afterwards. Shock
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy