Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ATMs/Cash machines in US

Poster: A snowHead
Is it as easy to get cash in the US as in Europe from a cash machine and will it cost me a fortune to do it.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Its easy to get cash, charges vary as it normally a credit card advance.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm sure I used my Debit Card when I went a couple of years ago. Seemed to be plenty around although it was on the California coast in the summer not in a ski resort. I have a Nationwide "holiday" account so withdrawals didn't cost anything.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
stanton wrote:
...as it normally a credit card advance.

No, don't do THAT!

Not a credit card!!!

Just use your bank ATM card to draw from your account. I do that all over the world. As long as your own bank doesn't charge you an arm and a leg, there's no additional charges.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
chrise1967, open a nationwide flex account, preload with a bit of cash. bob's yer uncle wink Best rates, no charges.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
brian, according to another thread... not any more!

chrise1967, yes, your standard bank card should work fine. Most (all?) have a flat rate charge of a couple of dollars to make a withdrawal, so the best thing to do is to take out large amounts rather than small.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
brian, according to another thread... not any more!

Which thread?
snow report
 brian
brian
Wear The Fox Hat, that was an increase in nationwide's credit card cash advance charge. Still no charges on the debit card.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brian, ah, ok, so Nationwide won't charge. Still be aware that the ATM you use may charge.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I suppose the answer is that there is the same range of ups and downs in the US as in Europe - I had no problem using a bank debit card in Chicago last year, similar charges to using it in France, and really not very significant in the overall scheme of things. It certainly beats the bad old days of the awful US banking system I remember from student days when I had to set aside a significant time to go and stand in line in the bank, nervous of the man in the hat with a gun who stood in the corner.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In my experience the US has ATMs all over the place....even drive-ins so you dont have to get out of your car. I dont think anybody over there goes into a Bank anymore.......bit like here where there is a line for the ATM and 2 tellers inside with nobody to serve
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As brian, says open a travel account(s) (Nationwide seems to be the preferred choice) and only load it with what you think you need. (you can always top it up on-line) and if that card gets nicked that's all that you've lost. I really CAN 'T understand why people take their whole domestic financial system with them on holiday. My neighbours are a case on point, every piece of plastic they possess was grabbed in Spain . . . OK they were not out of pocket (eventually) but the hassle and time wasting both whilst away and when they got back (do you want to re-create all your standing payments?) took nearly 6 months to get sorted.

Organise yourself a 'holiday' account(s) and cards and that's all that can get screwed up. couples and friends can split cards between themselves and have a bit more security if one card gets lost or stolen. It's not rocket science to keep your normal finances secure and remote.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cash machines are ubiquitous in the US. You literally cannot avoid them. I've never had a problem using my German bank card in any of them.

As for charges, there is a mandated limited, I believe $2.50 or $3.00, that a bank can charge. You will be notified of this charge before you draw your money. Then you have to find out if your home bank also imposes a charge for using another bank's machine (mine does not). Some American banks do not impose a charge, Washington Mutual being the best example (often called WaMu). Anything with 'Credit Union' in the name is also likely not to charge you. Cash machines placed in bars will obviously carry the highest fees. Since these fees are charged at a flat rate and not as a percentage, it is in your interest to draw large amounts.

Do not draw cash on a credit card. You begin paying interest from that moment, not at the end of the month as with other credit card purchases. This can get expensive.

One more note, when paying with plastic (credit card or drawing cash) you genenerally get the best exchange rate. Credit cards will be charged a 1% service fee internationally, but in my experience paying with a credit card is still the cheapest option (assuming you are not carrying a balance into the next month). Credit cards are also accepted pretty much everywhere in the US, so this is easy to do.

Last note, in Europe you take your card out of the machine before your cash. This is nice, because you are more likely to forget your card than your cash, and this prevents this from happening. It is the other way around in the US, so it is surprisingly easy to leave your card in the machine. Furthermore, some machines ask, after you have taken your money, if you want to complete another transaction. If you walk away with your money and leave your card in the machine with this question, the next person to come along could clear out your account. So pay attention and don't forget your card. You'd be surprised how easy it is to forget after a couple beers.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks will not take too much cash then.
Tried online a few months ago to open a nationwide account, nothing received. Called them, nothing received. So I gave up.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
chrise1967 wrote:
Thanks will not take too much cash then.

No need to take any cash. There will be ATMs in the airport. Exchanging currency is like flushing money down the toilet.
snow report
ami in berlin wrote:
like flushing money down the toilet.

That would probably be quite sensible in hyperinflationary Zimbabwe. You'd have the added satisfaction of plastering Mugabe's likeness.
snow report
I was in Zimbabwe in Oct, the ATM was guarded by a man with a machine gun, it would only dispense the zim dollar equivalent of either 2$us or 4$us, the notes did not have mugabes face on but they did have an expiry date only three months away.
The problem was the shops all wanted us$ anyway.
Guess you should be OK in the US unless of course you have a pocket full of zim dollars.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy