Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Laser Eye Surgery and skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
johnnyh wrote:
I too would like to be brave enough to consider it. I've heard lost of positive comments but I've also heard a few horror stories. Doe's anyone who's had it done suffer from the glare issue which makes night driving tough? I've heard that's a common problem.

Yes in fairness for all the positives I do say about having it done I have suffered very badly from night time glare when driving. It is getting better but I haven't driven much during the night in the Summer.

I am lucky that I can avoid most night time driving all year round. One thing I do have to do is try and avoid is country roads in the dark as the glare is worse head on. Motorways and dual carraigeways are easier.

I am told it gets better over time so shall see how I fare this Winter. Still don't regret having it done. snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hurtle, From the first time I wore them the optician fitted me with the soft ones and I never considered any other type. Now I have a box of disposables and my new optician says that they will be best as they are so thin they should let enough O2 through for short term wear. I think now I have the disposables I'll probably still them, but thanks for the suggestion.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, this corrective eye surgery site points out that you can lose the glasses, and thus can see better without equipment getting in the way.

And no, I don't think it's a cosmetic procedure at all. Or at least that's not how it should be approached. It might okay to want it done because you hate wearing glasses; but just as long as that's not the only reason.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kellz123, Had it done 5 weeks ago now (LASIK). I'm driving OK at night, though I am getting some glare it's not terrible. A roads are probably worst but I'm simply driving more cautiously than perhaps I would. It does seem to be improving bit by bit.

Apparently the glare issue is related to pupil size, and is more pronounced if you have larger pupils.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
david@mediacopy, I think that's right: have you tried leaving the front interior light on to shrink your pupils? (I haven't had surgery, don't wear contacts/glasses, so it's just a theory).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski wrote:
JT wrote:
I keep asking my optician this and he will not have it done. I am happy with contacts for sports atm altho I have considered this surgery

Presumbably because if everyone has it done, it puts him out of business!

It is more because opticians firstly feel that glasses are an good solution to poor eyesight, and contacts are fine for most sports apart from hi speed sking where they quickly dry out.

Their views are also that there are still unanswered side effects such as permanent dry eyes and incomplete vision repair i.e. better but not perfect.

On top of this there are the issues such as the eye sight may continue to deteriorate so from 0 return to - 2 etc. Finally there is the problem of long sightedness. Most humans as they become old develop long sightedness i.e. need reading glasses. If you are shortsighted to begin with it makes this condition less aparent with age. So they feel that most people may get some benefit but if you are say already in you late 30's early 40's it will not be long until you need glasses for reading and viewing in spaces of less than 1 -2 metres from you.

Saying that it is also because if everyone fixes there eyes then opticians are out of business, but this will happen anyway over the next 50 years. Stem cell regenerative research will certainly cure this problem but also currently treatment of Human Growth hormone will greatly improve vision.

Although I do not know the legality of this, being quite interested in the current doping issues in pro cycling I researched HGH and this was one of th beneficial side effects.

What will be much more of interest is repairing and regenerating any lost 'Rods' & 'Cone' cells as this will massively improve clarity of vision regardless of what your ability to focus is.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
david@mediacopy wrote:
kellz123, Had it done 5 weeks ago now (LASIK). I'm driving OK at night, though I am getting some glare it's not terrible. A roads are probably worst but I'm simply driving more cautiously than perhaps I would. It does seem to be improving bit by bit.

Apparently the glare issue is related to pupil size, and is more pronounced if you have larger pupils.

Have you tried not smoking the weed! This will firstly reduce your pupil size and secondly leave you better able to handle heavy machinery!

Rofl ... I hope your vision continues to improve and that the operation is 100% succesful as you are a brave man to zap your eyes with a Friggin LAY ... ZARRRR
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Although a few years old, http://www.bsrs2000.fsnet.co.uk/new_page_6.htm still worth reading.

http://www.rcophth.ac.uk/docs/publications/ExcimerLaserPatientGuideMarch2006.pdf is more recent

I have heard advice along the lines - it's sensible to ensure that the person who does the surgery is experienced (>12,000 procedures) and offers more than one technique. If you only have have a hammer, you tend to see very problem as a nail.

Optimax / Ultralase aren't universally liked, some comments I've seen about inexperienced operators.

DrE
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
johnnyh wrote:
I too would like to be brave enough to consider it. I've heard lost of positive comments but I've also heard a few horror stories. Doe's anyone who's had it done suffer from the glare issue which makes night driving tough? I've heard that's a common problem.

Whitegold - you are wrong - I've worn glasses for years and have none of the problems with self esteem that you indicate. In fact, a part of me would kind of miss the (false) "intellectual" advantage which I have enjoyed since wearing glasses as people often view one as bookish or thoughful. I have, at times, found myself being taken way too seriously when wearing specs.

3 months on from the Op and all is well . 20/20 vision and no glare fest anymore.

Best thing i've done in years and only wish i had got it done a long time ago.

Go for it.

Rob
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
cc_7up wrote:

My thoughts 2 weeks after, 2 years later Still my thoughts Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dwarf Vader wrote:
cc_7up wrote:

My thoughts 2 weeks after, 2 years later Still my thoughts Smile

Ditto. Done November 2005. Sport is a joy.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Had mine done about 6 years ago and it was without doubt the best money ever spent !
Used to wear contact and hated them drying out on the slopes. I have to say I was apprehensive at first particularly when I read some horror stories on the internet but stuck with it and never looked back.
Skiing has since been a joy even at very low temps

Its hard to imagine life in glasses / contacts
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
Its hard to imagine life in glasses / contacts

one day you'll get old, then you'll have to get used to it all over again! My daughter (who had it done, with molto pain and discomfort for some weeks, see above) went wakeboarding yesterday. She is over the moon about her op. But she'll have to wear glasses when she's older, too.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
But she'll have to wear glasses when she's older, too.

Thats a complete red herring, with or without laser surgery the need for reading glasses will arise in later life.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Agreed about being a red herring. Some people may need reading glasses some may not. When I had mine done the surgeon left one eye very slightly short sighted to compensate for this. Last time I had them checked I still had better than 20 20 vision in both eyes and no problem with reading.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy