Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria, Obertauern - Winter has started at last!

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.obertauern.com/user/PanoramaKameraLgoFrameSet.php?popup=1

http://www.obertauern.com/

Well it's snowing like mad, and they are showing depths of 20cms, and temperatures of -7 min, -1 max. So is this a good omen for the 2008 season? I hope so. (Yes I know it might all melt, but I can dream can't I?)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 7-11-07 9:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yes - it is a good omen
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Woohoooo!! I hope its a good omen too! My first destination for 2008 snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
cathy, you won't be disappointed, it's a really nice ski resort, so much so we are returning for our 2nd time in Feb 2008
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeh I can vouch for that after two school ski trips there- They took the advanced ski and snowboard groups into some really sick offpiste- so much variety there and it has one of the steepest slopes in the alps or something - nice mogul run there. Get a guide and go offpiste if you get the chance - avalanche transeivers should be provided. Oh and its got a decent night life as well!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
the_aliasskier, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
it's snoooooowing Very Happy and this time I think it's going to stay!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just checked the forecast for the whole east Austrian area and it looks like it's all due a pasting over the next couple of days. sharon1953, with low temps too, it looks like it'll stay like you said!!!

What am I doing in England??? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
yes, minus 11 is pretty cold! What I'm doing in England is saving hard for February, and trying to get my knee fit after an operation for a torn miniscus - and it's bloomin painful at the moment, and it was done 4 weeks ago so getting a bit anxious! Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Woohooooo!! Roll on Jan snowHead snowHead Although of course it could quite easily all be gone in a few weeks' time, only needs to warm up a bit which in October it can very well do...... Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kersh,What am I doing in England??? .... getting married! Looks like the aprtment will be done by mid december, just as I finish work, so hopefully the forecast snow will be putting down a good base.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
waynos, getting married ... I knew there was something! wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://www.obertauern-ski.at/obertauern3.php check this out!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sharon1953, looks great!!! snowHead snowHead A few of them in Bad Gastein are looking a little whiter than usual too. Laughing

COME ON THE WINTER!!!!! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kersh, best time of the year - shame it passes so quickly - must try and get 2 weeks instead of 1. Don't know how many more years my knees will last, then I'll have to make do with "normal" holidays, just can't imagine what life will be like without the skiing and apre.
snow report
Good start everything was green on Tuesday
snow report
check it out this am - still snowing !!
latest report
snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
There is 5 - 10cm of snow right across Austria, down to about 1000m. But it looks wet lower down and will probably soon melt.
snow report
Wonder if they will bother to start bashing this early
Resort normally opens mid November
We are not there till Feb anyway we have a trip to Obergurgl to get in first
Obergurgl not had as much snow yet
ski holidays
Garfield, be interested to know what you think of Obergurgl, it's on our list of places to ski
ski holidays
sharon1953, Its a long time since we have been there I think about eight years.
I was looking for some where to go early January and was thinking of going to Arabba and while looking through the TO sites came across a deal for Obergurgl for start of Jan and decided to go for it. More snow sure and a short transfer
I would say the resorts are similar slope wise are generally a bit gentler and wider though there are a few tough ones if you look for them. From what I remember the only slope that was a bit of a pain was the main run back to the village at the end of the day which got very busy then. A good excuse to stop at one of the huts till things quietened down a bit. The rest of the day the slopes were empty.

A wild party town its not but if you like Obertauern you are likely to like Obergurgl
They can both get very cold and windy at times though
ski holidays
Looking very good this morning snowHead snowHead snowHead

latest report
hmm, wonder if Oct snow hangs around often? I guess a few days warmth will wipe it all out Sad
ski holidays
Hywel, I tried to upload that shot this morning but couldn't work out how to do it - looking great, surely it will stay around now Very Happy
ski holidays
Obertauern advertise that their season runs from Nov to May, so I can't see it all going snowHead snowHead snowHead .
latest report
Some will melt before the resort opens.
but the fact they also have the snow cannons going is an indecation that they think a fair bit will stick around and its worth the cost of making extra snow to build up a base Very Happy
ski holidays
website says The lifts will be open on 24th of November 2007!

Wonder if they will open early if conditions warrant it???
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm really tempted to sneak in 2 days on November 24th and 25th. Very Cheap flights with Ryanair flying into Salzburg at the moment. Fly in Friday night, 23rd, ski all day Saturday and Sunday and fly home sunday evening. More fun than a couple of hours in a big fridge in MK and no holidays taken off work Cool
snow report
OT, but what the heck...... BBC 2 tonight at 7.50pm - 'Help' starring The Beatles with snow and skiing sequences filmed back in 1965 in Obertauern and 'Ticket to Ride' sequence shot in Radstadt train station Cool
ski holidays
http://www.obertauern-ski.at/streams/8846758.wmv
ski holidays
stanton, now thats what I call winter, nice one, thanks for cheering me (us all!) up
snow report
The main advantage that all this cold weather has is ensuring that when the substantial base falls in Dec that unlike last year, the ground temp will be significnatly colder. This will help ensure that a cold base of snow is on the pistes for march and april as the air temp rises.
snow report
Dont forget November was very warm last year Sad
ski holidays
Its been snowing again folks Very Happy
latest report
Trouble is, it was raining with it, but more snow forecast and the temp. is dropping nicely, so fingers crossed the winter is starting for real. Very Happy
snow report
Garfield, it looks fantastic this morning and snow cannons adding to it Very Happy If only we had the money and my knee was ready....
snow report
Mega dump for this early in the winter
Try the following link then click on Alle Webcams
http://www.huettenzauberer.info/index.html?lmd=39218.84519
latest report
Some more webcams of the area
http://www.obertauern-webcam.de/
snow conditions
Garfield, Skiworld ones are good, not seen those before, I can see our hotel - thanks
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy