Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d'Isere Easter - book now or last minute?

Poster: A snowHead
Following on from my previous thread I've been having trouble finding any reasonably priced accommodation in Val for one week 15-22 March 4 people.

Should we wait and book a last minute package instead? Are there likely to be late deals available for the week before easter?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think it's too early to book yet. I've been looking for somewhere in ADH, but there doesn't seem to be much choice. Some websites don't even have the dates for next season available yet!

My advice would be to give it until the end of Sept before searching seriously.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Went to Val easter last year, I booked early, gives me something to look forward to. The people I spoke to who booked late certainly didn't get their holidays any cheaper by booking late. It is snow sure therefore popular.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
IIRC when I went to cervinia for Easter 'long weekend' we booked flights in early jan, and then hotels in lat feb (IIRC) - prior to that they seemed to hold out for a full week.

my view is that as easter is so screwy this year in terms of holidays, there might be a good chance of getting last minute but perhaps avoiding the brit t/os.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Vegas Pitch, welcome to snowHeads Smile

hd, what would happen if you couldn't find anything suitable in Val d'Isere and ended up paying for something more expensive than you would have gone for in the first place, or in a different resort altogether? I think that week will be fairly busy even if school holidays and Easter don't always coincide for all European schools.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
IMHO Val d'sere at peak season is unlikely to secure you any real bargains
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I guess you'll have a better idea of what's available now you've had a look at the self-catering accommodation website I posted in the other thread but you may secure a bargain if you wait 'till nearer the time.

15-22nd March is outwith the UK school holidays (at least in the South West of England) which this year coming don't coincide with the Easter bank holiday so bookings may not be at their peak.

I managed to get a great bargain with Mark Warner at the end of April this year for a week in Val so I'd guess there's as much chance this coming season, although if there's bumper snow fall holidays might be sold fast. Alternatively if you freelance it you'd be better booking flights early since they go up nearer the time.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
roga, yes thanks to your link on the other thread I have found some more reasonably priced apartments so am re-considering booking now.

Travelling late April there will always be lots of late deals. Similarly in early December - a few years ago I picked up a week in a catered chalet in Tignes plus flights and transfers with Skiworld for £220 - absolutely silly cheap.

The possibility of finding another package like that makes booking now and paying 2 or 3 times that amount very difficult to swallow. However mid-March in a big resort like Val is always going to be more busy whether easter, school hols or not so really can't decide how much of a risk it will be.

If booking independently I am keen to travel by train Ashford-Bourg so will wait until tickets become available on Rail Europe 90 days before our departure dates.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hd wrote:
If booking independently I am keen to travel by train Ashford-Bourg so will wait until tickets become available on Rail Europe 90 days before our departure dates.

Will Ashford be used for Paris services once the Eurostar uses the HS1 route departing from St Pancras?

http://www.rail-canterbury.co.uk/ are good for rail service tickets. They will take your details and reserve tickets for you as soon as they become available, maximising your chance of getting the cheapest fares.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
Will Ashford be used for Paris services once the Eurostar uses the HS1 route departing from St Pancras?
Wikipedia wrote:
On 12 September 2006 it was announced that when the Channel Tunnel Rail Link is completed (to be branded High Speed 1/HS1 from the intended 14th November 2007 opening date), only three trains a day to Paris and one to Disneyland Paris will stop at Ashford because of the opening of Ebbsfleet station. No Brussels-bound trains will stop at the station, meaning passengers must instead change at Lille for Brussels.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hd, thanks for that info.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The 3 trains to Paris are:

1 Ashford (Kent) dep 06:57 1:53 EST
Paris-Nord arr 09:50

2 Ashford (Kent) dep 10:57 1:56 EST
Paris-Nord arr 13:53

3 Ashford (Kent) dep 16:54 1:53 EST
Paris-Nord arr 19:47
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hd, service no. 3 should be good for sleeper services from Austerlitz.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In my experience, if you choose your resort carefully, Easter can be relatively quiet compared to other school weeks. Many UK people don't ski then,preferring somewhere warmer, and the French won't be on holiday that week, they have holiday in April. Most UK schools are still in term-time 15th-22nd March. We've had loads of bargains in the past for Easter week, but never for one so early as this Easter, so it's hard to judge this time. Reasonably priced and Val don't really go hand-in-hand.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hd,

Try action outdoors here.. Its the UK booker for UCPA. Pretty good place. I have been there over the last 3 Christmas/ New Year Periods and have had a great time. Good price. All food , instruction, equipment, and lift passes included. I would recommend it for sure... Usually costs about £350 - £380 for the week, but you need to get your own airfares whick is a bit of a downer, but if you book early enough you can get some great deals!!

Good luck
latest report
Seanoe, do you have a link?
snow report
Also Seanoe, is it hostel-type accommodation i.e. bunk beds, big communal dining rooms and lots of noisy students getting pissed?
snow conditions
hd, I would agree with bertie bassett, you should be able to get a cheapie nearer the date. The problem this year is that Easter is early and is at a fairly busy time in most resorts anyway. The only problem with late booking is that you may not get the accomodation that you would have hoped for or wanted. You willl still get a few miles of skiing under your belt anyway.

Enjoy
snow conditions
hd wrote:
Seanoe, do you have a link?

Hey HD, check these out...

http://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/

http://www.ucpa.co.uk/theucpa.html

Yeah it is kinda hostel accomodation, but you can get rooms with just 4 in them, i love getting a chalet, or an apartment, but had some great times here too. Its not too bad with people getting pissed, usually i am so tired after a day out and a few beers that i would pass out completely and not hear a thing.

I think value for money these guys are great, the food was brilliant, the instruction (if you want it) was good and took you places you wouldn't usually go. I have stayed at the Argentierre, Val D'Isere and Tignes UCPA's, and all have been good. Everyone was helpful and the proximity to the slopes was excellent. Within a 5 min walk to the lifts from the place, so couldn't complain there, the one in Val, you could almost ski up to the door depending on the snow!

Hoe this helps somewhat..
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy