Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need advice: Pre-season training, feet quickness

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey snowheads,

Im a quite decent skier. The one thing I want to improve this year is my feet quickness. Reason I wana do this is to so that I can increase my speed in the trees/glades I ski. I also wana be able to pick tighter lines.

Im quite a big guy at 191cm (6´4´´ish) and 110kg (230lbs). The skis I ski is a pair of Karmas. I know that one way to quicker feet is reducing my body frame. But still I will always have long legs and these need to be moved from A to B quicker.

Does anyone have gym and/or outdoors training advice on how I can improve my feet quickness?

Thanks in advance
Tex
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
how about skipping, will help improve feet speed, co-ordination and overall fitness
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I assum you arnt refering to skipping work (which btw is a great plan for everything)... please my english can be lacking at times what is skipping in terms of training methods?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
TexMurphy, http://uk.youtube.com/v/Oaa-v4Lu31I
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TexMurphy, PM fellow snowhead STOCKY he is a personal trainer and good skier who has a workout plan he might send you. I have used big parts (the easier ones) of it last year and it really helped me
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Check out this video from Deb Armstrong's web site: http://debbiearmstrong.com/technique_ski_tips.php?page_sub=ski_conditioning (the November 3rd, 2006 one). There are some great quickness exercises in there. Also, plyometrics will help, as well.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tap dancing.

When I used to walk home from Holborn on Fridays, I could hear this rattling noise as I approached the City Lit in Stukeley Street. Then I would see all the top halfs of people bobbing up and down through the first floor window. They seemed to get better as the weeks went by. It used to cheer me up no end.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skiing is unique, as you don't actually run down the slope, or through the trees. The feet work together, and the agility involved with doing so is intimately inner twined with the on-snow balance and edging skills you possess. Enhancing those skills directly on snow will enhance your ability to react quickly in the trees.

But with that said, here's a simple dryland drill to do that you can do in the meantime. What you want to do is set up a tic-tac-toe board on the floor, with the center square about 1.5 times the size of your feet. You can do it with duct tape, or by crossing 4 sticks (I use slalom poles), or with whatever your imagination provides.

Once set up, the board can be utilized many ways. Starting with both feet standing in the middle square, and hands held in a skiing position, do a 2 footed hop forward to the square in front of you, then back to center. Work your way clockwise around the board like this, always returning to center after each hop. Always keep eyes looking forward, as in skiing, not down at your feet. When you get good at that, reverse direction. Then you can do single leg hops,,, then with eyes closed. You can then elevate the sticks making the board, requiring you to jump higher as you work your way around it. All very good for simulating skiing related movements and balance.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 3-09-07 22:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FastMan- they do a version of this in Scotland called sword dancing, sounds like a good exercise.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skipping (Rope jumping) as we call it here is a good excersise that I think Im gonna start doing...

The tic tac toe drill FastMan described sounds fun as well gonna try it out....

To respond to what FastMan said about "its all about the sking skill" (loosely quoted) I do agree to some extent. But having prepared the body in the right way makes it easier to increase the on slope skills. My sking skills arnt bad and Im at a stage where I feel I need to be in a better physical shape to improve.

Tex
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
TexMurphy, I was once told to run across a plouged field to improve/speed up eye to foot coordination, but I'm sure it would be considered too dangerous nowdays.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy