Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where will you ski / board next ?

Where will you go on your next trip to the snow ?
Andorra / Spain
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
Austria
13%
 13%  [ 12 ]
Germany
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
France
44%
 44%  [ 41 ]
Italy
11%
 11%  [ 11 ]
Scotland
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Switzerland
11%
 11%  [ 11 ]
USA / Canada
9%
 9%  [ 9 ]
None of the above - but I'm booked up to go.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Don't Know - I'm waiting for the snow
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Voted : 90
Total Votes : 92

Poster: A snowHead
There have been statements on the board recently that France dominates as the preferred destination for snowsports holidays from the UK, as much as 35% apparently.

So where do snowHeads go ? Do we follow the masses or are we more adventurous ?

I realise some lucky snowHeads may go to more than one country but to avoid skewing the poll by permitting multiple choices, it is a single vote poll, covering your next planned trip only.

Edit - - - Ooops - have just realised Norway / Sweden could be quite popular. If a Mod gets to it before too many votes are cast, can that option be added. TKS in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I couldn't add in another option - it's full!

It looks like we're both going to France - I'm off to VT April 2nd...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ian, thanks for trying. The 'None of the Above' will just have to cover countries I missed. Any fans of the lands of Noggin the Nog can always post to tell us.
I'm hoping for Les Arcs or La Plagne in January and maybe somewhere late season. How will you wait until April?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
How will you wait until April?

I'm not quite sure! We did last go Easter this year. Mrs H teaches and we're very restricted as to when we can go - might try to fit something in over Christmas / New Year...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Guess who's going to Switzerland ...... again Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
D G Orf, I think we can narrow it down a little more than that! Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Admin - something's wrong with the vote count. Currently says Voted :9 but Total Votes :11. Adding the individual country votes 11 seems to be right.
I've noticed discrepancies before but have always put them down to multiple choices being permitted. This is the first time a single option poll has gone astray. AFAIK. None too serious since we are not voting for POTUS or Tony Bliar - but rather odd.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am trying out the Snowhead mole we plant in Boug St Maurice this Christmas. Thereafter I need to do the American and Spain afterward.

Since we have Snowheads in Bulgaria we should have it on our list. Sound like a cheerful place to go too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arinsal with mum and bruv, Sierra Nevada a few times with dad, Risoul- i think- with BUSC.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
saikee, sorry it seems the poll can only have 10 options. With hindsight, maybe we don't really need Scotland but it's too late now. And before I get any flak over that, I am a card-carrying Jock.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well i'll go up to Nevis range as soon as theres enough snow! but i wouldnt really think of it as a proper "trip" kuwait_ian,
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nadenoodlee, more of an expedition Wink Enjoy - I've never skied there. Only managed Glenshee, Glencoe and Cairngorm.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm off to BSM/Les Arcs in January (guess where I'm staying Wink ). It'll be the first time I've skiied outside of Austria so should be interesting.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kuwait_ian wrote:
There have been statements on the board recently that France dominates as the preferred destination for snowsports holidays from the UK, as much as 35% apparently
Fascinating. Just voted for France, and the number of Frenchiphiles is now 35%!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jonpim, I promise it's not rigged - and it's a quiet weekend on the board. Could change 9 a.m Monday ..... Wink
ski holidays
D G Orf wrote:
Guess who's going to Switzerland ...... again Cool

Increasingly my choice, too. Both my skiing weeks for the coming season will be there. I keep thinking about returning to Val D again - fabulous skiing. But I am also finding really great skiing in Switzeralnd, where I also like the excellent travelling arrangements, great alpine charm, and super hospitality.
ski holidays
I find it difficult to see past France when booking. The choice of resorts is just amazing, the extent of skiing is bewildering, I always enjoy the food, plus most resorts are just a few hours away.
latest report
Timberwolf, it depends on what you want, as it is often my only overseas holiday in the year I like to go to a place with history and atmosphere not just clubs and great skiing as some other places might be described
snow conditions
D G Orf, I suppose I'm going to have to respond to that! Given a choice, I'd rather not go to somewhere that some might describe as a 'home from home' for the English, run by the DHO and Kandahar crowd! Wink History and atmosphere? No shortage of that in France, if that's what you want. There are as many genuine mountain villages, that have been around just as long as the Swiss, in France. Up to you to book a break in the type of place that suits...
ski holidays
PG, that wasn't a critisism of France or a promotion of any other country for that matter, I just wanted to point out that there are places beyond France that may be worth trying, Austria and Switzerland both tend towards the traditional Little Angel , Italy may be great fot those fashion victims out there Laughing And Andorra is still compared to places such as Ibiza Shocked As you say
Quote:

Up to you to book a break in the type of place that suits...
but I still think it's nice to consider what other countries have to offer
snow report
Quote:
but I still think it's nice to consider what other countries have to offer
... completely agree. Still, we all get a bit carried away with the stereotypes at times - Austria = atmosphere, etc. Most countries have a bit of everything, if you know where to look.
snow report
Im off to Austria with a group of 24 friends. Ellmau is where we are going not my 1st choice but if the snows good and your with friends then thats great. Next trip after is to Banff. Dont think Ill get time off for more trips so its Scotland or maybe a weekend trip where ever the snow is.
snow report
I;m oing to france (as per my vote) but it's not my preferred choice - that was the preferred vote of the group based on the options given by the lucky siier who was nominated to organise this year's holiday

As documented elsewhere, I find the french resorts to be a bit unfriendly overall, and prefer Italy, Spain and North America.

Still, I; sure we'll have fun Smile
latest report
nbt, we'll have to see if we can tempt you to La Rosiere, it's very different from the mega resorts, very friendly and the link with Italy does give it a special ambience.
snow report
D G Orf, absolutely, it's history and atmosphere all the way for me now. Clubs etc are a distant memory now. But as you say there are resorts that offer more of this type of entertainment, but plenty of others that don't. I promised myself, I would endeavor to visit some of the smaller, more traditional villages from now on - I'm starting with Chatel this season
snow report
Poor old Scotland - 0%, but then perhaps you only ski there if you are unable to afford a computer, or perhaps no-one plans to actaully ski there, its just one of those impulse things like the dry slope.
and yes, I am a sassenach. Twisted Evil
latest report
I've voted for France, as I hope to be there in January, but may even make it before then, and then in March off to Whistler. HOWEVER-does Castleford next weekend count?

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 17-10-04 22:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Murren Switzerland for me even if its home from home as described by PG Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Brookes, a post that rhymes! Great stuff. snowHead
snow report
Another vote for France. If I go for a second week that is likely to be France as well due to cost considerations. Trouble is I love the Italian Dolomites!

48% for France is crushing the competition and will help them be even more arrogant. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
I'm not that surprised by the French results but what does surprise me is that Switzerland is just in second place and also how few people have chosen Spain/Andorra
snow report
D G Orf wrote:
I'm not that surprised by the French results but what does surprise me is that Switzerland is just in second place and also how few people have chosen Spain/Andorra

I am surprised that Switzerland is nearly pipped by North America - which has security and passport hassle, and jet lag problems.

OTOH, the major Swiss resorts seem busy enough; I wonder if they could cope with a surge of British skiers.

Fascinating poll.
latest report
Quote:

I am surprised that Switzerland is nearly pipped by North America - which has security and passport hassle, and jet lag problems.

I'm one of the North American votes, and I didn't want to go there for exactly the reasons you've cited. I also resent giving money to a country that (almost) voted for Dubya.

But a holiday with 3 kids in half-term week is scarily expensive in Europe, the dollar is very weak right now, and American prices don't rise at all in response to British school holidays. I'm just saving money.
snow report
Jonny Jones, do you manage to get all your trip done during the kid's half-term or do they miss a few days of school? I'm never skied in the US because being tied to school holidays (my partner teaches) means it's difficult to go for a decent length of time.
latest report
Rob, this year the kids will lose one day of school for an, ahem, educational visit to Yellowstone. Fly out Friday morning, arrive US later the same day; leave Saturday afternoon, arrive UK Sunday morning.

I have done it all in a week before, and it's really not a problem: you still get 6 days' good skiing. Just make sure that you fly overnight on the return leg, as you adapt to the new timezone more quickly that way.
snow report
Nick Zotov wrote:

Slight difference between North America and the US called Canada Wink
Jetlag problems can be overcome by going for longer!! snowHead
latest report
David@traxvax, the few french resorts I *do * like are smaller and close to italy : Montgenevre, which is the western end of the Italian "milky way" ski area, and Serre Cheavlier, which is coser to Montgenevre than the other end of the milky way! Been to Alpe d'Huez and the THree valleys and if I never go again to either it wouldn;t bother me in the slightest.
snow conditions
I'm going to do a season in La Plagne Very Happy Some may say irresponsible! I'm 30 financially secure so b*****s to it!
snow report
Plus point for Switzerland compared to France is the Lift pass is more expensive than in Switzerland now !!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy