Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is the altitude noticeable in Val Thorens?

Poster: A snowHead
I was thinking of time I went up the Corvatch (approx 3,300m) - we were astonished that at that height the altitude made us breathless - we'd gone straight up from St. Moritz (about 1,800m). When I read that VT is highest resort in Europe I was just wondering whether the altitude there will also be noticeable in this way.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I begin to notice a difference at about that altitide, but you don't spend a large amount of time expending a lot of energy at the very top of the resort's skiing unless you are hiking uphill following a guide. Most of the skiing is well below that altitude.

Does Resort X not go very high? Twisted Evil
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, VT itself is 2300. The highest point is 3230m, the lowest point likely to be open is about 1800. In general the highest points have red runs down from them, so you probably wouldn't want to go that high to ski anyway. Most of the blue runs are about resort level or slightly higher so it shouldn't be a problem Confused
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's good - the memory of being breathless at the Corvatch (at the top walking down the gantry from the restaurant to the glacier) is still quite well engrained - I was just so surprised that it was that noticeable (it was the first and only time I've ever been that high).

rob@rar, Resort X is only about 1300m and the highest runs are probably no more than 3-400m (I'm guessing) higher. So VT has the edge on it somewhat.

Ray Zorro, Yes, I should think it unlikely that I will need to ski reds - unless I suddenly suss it in my mind, find my ski legs and make heaps of improvement in February next year with the family. Though it would be nice to be able to take part in the race at the end and that may mean going steaper than I do now - I guess I'll just have to see how I improve between now and then. I'll get lessons in on my holiday and I guess there is opportunity for more lessons at the EoSB - the resort must have instructors. Who knows it may all suddenly click!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum wrote:
Though it would be nice to be able to take part in the race at the end and that may mean going steaper than I do now - I guess I'll just have to see how I improve between now and then.

The race is run on a blue piste, with the possibility of a slightly steeper pitch at the start. I'm sure you'd be happy to ski it, and everyone is encouraged to ski it at a pace they feel comfortable with. The fun of everyone taking part is more important than the stopwatch Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, Oh, great thanks!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Reasonably noticeable I'd say, although perhaps not readily distinguishable wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yoda, Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, The effects of altitude vary from person to person and there is no way of telling if you will be prone until you try it. I hvae not seen a case of altitude sickness at either Val Thorens EoSB (althought some may wish to mistakenly blame it Laughing ). As for instruction, well last year saw a plethora of outstanding and wonderful instructors.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Queasiness, headaches, lethargy, fatigue - and I thought it was the altitude... rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman, I don't think we had full blown altitude sickness when we went up the Corvatch, but it definitely made us 'puff' more than we expected to. It was first hand realisation that things could be different at altitude and there was sod all you could do about it - I was in my earlyish twenties at the time and not so unfit (though I now know from other threads here that fitness itself cannot stop the effects of altitude) - it was quite an eye opener.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not as much as the architecture wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think altitude problems are generally more noticable when you are based in a low altitude resort but skiing high altitude slopes.
A good example is the distance between Chamonix and its higher slopes.

In VT, even if you feel a little dopey when you first arrive, you get to aclimatise to the resort altitude in your sleep so you are less likely to feel a particular hit when you go up to ski.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, we drove over to VT for a day last season when snow elsewhere was melting rapidly. Had a great day, and though we went about as far up as you can go (onto a bit of glacier which had a rather intimidatingly crowded and bumpy start, I forget the name of the run) we didn't suffer from altitude sickness, so's you'd notice. My husband is prone to it, and he'd probably have noticed the effects. The snow was excellent,and the sun shone warmly, and we enjoyed the place, despite the many negative comments you find on Snowheads.
latest report
Le Col
snow conditions
pam w, I can't wait for next year Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
The only time I noticed it was walking up to the various restaurants/hostelries, up a gentle slope that seemed much more tiring than it should have. Skiing about, and being fairly rubbish and inefficient it wasn't noticable at all. And it all might have had something to do with a few holiday ciggies anyway Embarassed
ski holidays
pompeymanc, same here (apart from ciggies). I don't suffer in the rockies - Breck is about 3500m IIRC and no probs there, but then again the hostelries aren't up a hill, it's all laid out along Main Street whereas VT is "terraced".
snow conditions
In the good old days when the Funitel Grand Fond didn't exist and you had to walk from the top of Fond 2 for the entry into the 4th valley it was very noticable to me and my mates that you were waling a considerable distance at 3000m+. Apart from that didn't notice any difference really!
snow conditions
Never had an altitude problem (e.g. on the Aiguille du Midi at the start of the Vallée Blanche, top of Zermatt or - walking, not skiing - at similar altitudes in Rockies / Sierras / Cascades).
ski holidays
pompeymanc wrote:
The only time I noticed it was walking up to the various restaurants/hostelries, up a gentle slope that seemed much more tiring than it should have. Skiing about, and being fairly rubbish and inefficient it wasn't noticable at all. And it all might have had something to do with a few holiday ciggies anyway Embarassed
Yes but you are 2-300m higher than the average punter Very Happy
ski holidays
Megamum, Only if you look down wink
latest report
halfhand, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Megamum,
Only time I noticed it was at the PSB - town is at 1600m and the skiing is at 3200m - 3600m. The steps up from the Funicular at the top were breath taking (but it was nice to get away from the smell of poo wink )
snow report
When you first get to VT you might notice a shortness of breath using the stairs..and then you realise the air is a bit thinner.... Only the walks at 3000m plus are noticable in the first few days...so if that is the case, do things decidely slower...

I tend to notice it most when walking ouit through snow or bootpacking a ridge and having to kick in steps, for some reason..!!!
latest report
easiski suggested a 20-30 minute hot choocy/coffee stop every morning before skiing to aclimatise at 3200m. A bloody good idea IMHO
snow report
pompeymanc, ah, the old ciggies. They are my downfall when I get up high, although when I was in la Plagne last year (staying at 2050m) it was only when i got up to Bellecote (3000m)that I started to feel the effects. Up to 2500m I was a wheezing mess. Up at 3000m I felt like I was gonna explode....

... might be a good incentive to kick the fags altogether... maybe!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Reaction to altitude is entirely individual - eg I don't notice the difference at all up to at least 3600, other people get breathless in resort. No idea why this is.
snow report
Lizzard, perhaps because you live up there and so are acclimatised?
ski holidays
The OH had nosebleeds and frequent headaches which I guess could be a sign that the altitude was affecting him. Was fine otherwise.
latest report
I use to feel the effects when unloading the car and carrying the luggage and supplies up on arrival at Montalbert (1350) but now don't even notice.
On reflection the morning we spent up on Tignes glacier recently had no obvious effects.
So regular exposure to altitude appears to help, there's another excuse for regular Alpine visits snowHead
snow report
Quote:

OH had nosebleeds and frequent headaches

Nothing to do with the alcohol & caffeine then? Dehydration is a common cause of "altitude problems", drink more H2O than you imagine possible and you should be fine if you are moderately fit. There are good piste side loos in Val T.
snow report
Martin Nicholas wrote:
Quote:

OH had nosebleeds and frequent headaches

Nothing to do with the alcohol & caffeine then? Dehydration is a common cause of "altitude problems", drink more H2O than you imagine possible and you should be fine if you are moderately fit. There are good piste side loos in Val T.

Nope - he doesn't drink much alcohol and doesn't drink coffee. We were drinking lots of water but he may well have needed to drink more.
ski holidays
On what do they base the "highest resort in Europe" claim?

Is it the highest village height?

Because there are quite a few resorts with some higher skiing.
snow conditions
cathy, Looks like that ski trip to Chile isn't a good idea then... Puzzled
ski holidays
I know lots of kids that get nosebleeds. I was told it is due to the very dry air at altitude.
snow report
boredsurfin, pre ski trip altitude training at a ski resort is recommended prior to undertaking any high altitude ski trips Very Happy alternatively always arrive 2 days earlier than the start of your ski trip wink
ski holidays
cathy, you could try getting him a nasal spray of sodium chloride to keep nose moist... the ones with eucalyptus oil and sodium chloride may help more... worth a try
ski holidays
alex_heney, think it's based on village height (2300m).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy