Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Down some mountains on the cheap: HELP!

Poster: A snowHead
First of all, hello Very Happy! I must say this site seems excellent with a real community feel to it that's fairly rare on the oft-impersonal internet.

I'm looking to book a ski holiday for a group consisting of intermediates (like myself) and fairly advanced skiiers some time in either Feb or April (not March for various reasons), something along the lines of Thursday - Tuesday would be ideal but it's not overly important. No boarders in the group and noone has the confidence to go offpiste yet Embarassed. We're a young crowd and so would appreciate decent apres-ski, not necessarily clubs but some interesting activities to while away the evenings. A chalet would be perfect due to the numbers involved, but we wouldn't say no to a hotel if need's be.

Most of us have only had two skiing experiences: Ehrwald (where I learnt, good resort especially the Zugspitze Glacier, if a touch dead in the evenings) and Fugen (the Spieljoch was alright, challenging red down to the resort but Hochfugen really was outstanding, even the blue runs) but a handful have been to Les Deux Alpes and Val d'Isere.

The most important thing, however, is cheapness as we're all students and thus really need to count the pennies. Our backup plan is to simply keep an eye on the Scottish weather and jump on the ferry (Northern Ireland, y'see) when it's looking up, but we'd really prefer to have more of an adventure. America and Switzerland are obviously out the window, France is a possibility and so is Austria but we've really been drawn to Italy and Eastern Europe. The problem with Italy seems to be its dodgy late-season snow forecasts and Eastern Europe is a bug to find any solid information on.

Any help at all would be massively appreciated, and thankyou in advance for any advice you share snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SurferRosa_, welcome to snowHeads. Have you considered Andorra? A few resorts there, and it has a reputation for good value for money (although perhaps not quite as cheap as Eastern Europe). If you go in February make sure you avoid the two middle weeks as these tend to be the busiest of the season because of school holidays across Europe. Are you able to go in early January? These are usually the cheapest weeks of the season.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Of the two choices, April will be cheaper than Feb. Perhaps go self catering, as many as possible in a shoebox. Tignes is a pretty good compromise between skiing, price, and nightlife, and has plenty of the aforementioned shoeboxes. It is somewhat lacking in Alpine charm.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SurferRosa_, welcome to Snowheads. In terms of "pounds per ski day" the cheapest way to go is usually a conventional Sat/Sat week, or Sun/Sun week in some cases, as the industry is geared up to that. The first week in February could be a good option, as the French (and British) half terms start the following week. Snow should be good everywhere. Depending on the number in your group you could wait and do a last minute booking with a tour operator, if you are flexible about where to go. That way you don't have to arrange transfers etc. which can be remarkably expensive. There are usually some reasonable deals on catered chalets. April is getting a bit late for the lower resorts, but would be good in Tignes. There are a number of Snowheads threads on some of the East European places, especially Bulgaria, but I suspect that rob@rar's suggestion of Andorra is more reliable.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been skiing in Bulgaria, Slovenia and Slovakia and have posted various things on them on here. I think I've reviewed most of the places I've been so look in the resort review bit as well and I've put down prices as well. Jasna in Slovakia looked to be the largest of the Eastern European resorts and I was there this march and have reviewed it on here. as for finding information just google, all resorts have their own home page eg. www.jasna.sk which is very good and available in english other than that google your chosen resort with other key words such as ski, chalet, apartment or bungalow which is what I found a few of the Eastern European countries called chalets. PM if you want any more info as I have loads of websites saved in my favourites Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers for all your advice folks, bit of a change of plan in that the first week of Easter is now looking the most likely (15th-22nd March) due to the various reasons not being reasons anymore Madeye-Smiley. lynseyf, Slovakia and Bulgaria are both looking very do-able indeed and your reports have really reassured me that bargain-basement prices don't necessarily mean naff skiing Smile. The best I've been able to get for flights, transfers and accommodation in Bulgaria is £234 per person based on the above dates in Borovets, although Pamporovo is only a couple of quid more. Still looking to price Slovakia though, but will do soon. I've been mostly going through the big tour operators (Thomson, First Choice etc) so if anyone has a good recommendation on that front it would be extremely handy.

I've noticed a lot of sub-£300 (our price range) deals in France and Italy which I will do a bit of research into, any resort names that any more experienced SnowHead could drop in these areas would be very much appreciated, as the variety is rather overwhelming to say the least Shocked

Also noticed a couple of resorts in Serbia but could find little information on them that wasn't Google-translated pidgin English; they seemed fairly low altitude so might be a poor choice towards the end of the season. Kramer, Tignes looks pretty promising so I'll source a few 'shoeboxes' (good term Very Happy) and see how it stacks up
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SurferRosa_, I have been to both Boraovets and Pamporovo in the days when we were poorer than we are now, and I think you will find they are excellent place to go on a budget. The skiing is better and more extensive in Borovets and it is a place with more possibilities for living cheaply. Student essentials like beer and pizza are very cheap if you know where to look and a good time can be had for little expense.

the downsides, though I haven't been to Borovets since 2000, at that time were horrific mountain toilets and poor quality hire gear. Maybe this has changed as Bulgaria has now joined the EU and that was a long time ago. Lift queues were also an issue then, but that too may have changed. The ski instruction was very good and the ski school was happy to have groups of friends of varying abilities together if that is waht you want. The have an "It's your holiday" attitude.

I believe Pamporovo has some new lifts and some new runs, but there was only 25Km when I was there.

Tignes is very nice indeed, but you will spend a lot more there. Lift passes and the whole kit and instruction package used to be very cheap in Bulgaria. Don't forget to price the whole package!

Bulgaria skiing is cheap and cheerful, but it is still seriously cheap. I doubt if I would have ever skied at all if it were not for the low prices in Bulgaria.

snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just had a look in more detail at your original post. Both Pamporovo and Borovets have these little wooden chalets called Malina Village. They are little houses and might be a lot of fun for a group of friends. They were dead cheap 10 years ago when I went there. The Pamporovo ones are out of "town" but the Borovets ones are right by the lift. Just a thought.

snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SurferRosa_,

Check out the Panorama website. I got a deal for £316.00 Half Board, Flights, Transfers from Belfast to Livigno in Italy (Feb). I reckon Livigno would be good for your group.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnboy, That's a good suggestion.

snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I arranged all our ski holidays ourselves, I think if you are thinking of going somewhere in Eastern Europe then that is the way to go as you will get it a lot cheaper and better quality than through a TO, where they win is with last minute bargains to well established resorts, it really isn't that difficult to arrange youself Smile

The resorts I have been at in Slovakia and Bulgaria (Jasna and Pamporovo) were very, very different so you may want to read up a bit more. I am easily pleased so always have a good holiday but lots of people don't like Bulgaria. Pamporovo had some of the best snow I've ever seen when we were there but it was much more package holiday orientated and I believe its been built up a lot since I was there (2005). I stayed in the Malina Chalets by the way but think they have gone up in price a lot since then as they were building some huge new hotel right next to them. I loved Jasna and would go back and it really was very, very cheap snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SurferRosa_,

Try BUSC they do great deals for students Blush
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SurferRosa_, I would second johnboy, 's suggestion. Livigno is pretty good value and has a good nightlife. You will have difficulty with a TO doing anything out of a SAT-SAT or Sun-SUN holiday. Those operators that do weekend breaks have put a premium on the "city types" that are cash rich and time poor.

Cheapest deal I have ever had was £150 Courchevel 1550 in a catred chalet end of March beginning April. Booked the week before we left. I would look at a chalet holiday late in the season as most TO's have chalet for season and want heads on beds, whereas they can give back beds in hotels quite easily.

Take the extra couple of days off and enjoy. More fun and better value IMO.

Have fun and welcome to snowHead 's
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We have a place in Borovets, the hire gear varies greatly between places but I can recommend a few places where you can get top quality hire kit (far superior to some hire kit I've had in France / Europe).

If you have any questions about boro, please see the site in my signature or feel free to PM me.

DoA
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It is often very hard to book things other than saturday to saturday (some places such as St Anton it is almost impossible) since they may be stuck with bits of weeks with an empty room or apartment if they accept you for other than the standard period.
snow report
Kramer wrote:
Of the two choices, April will be cheaper than Feb. Perhaps go self catering, as many as possible in a shoebox. Tignes is a pretty good compromise between skiing, price, and nightlife, and has plenty of the aforementioned shoeboxes. It is somewhat lacking in Alpine charm.

Tignes and VAl have great skiing but be prepared to self cater cos if you want to eat and drink out it can be expensive.

We got stung for a 8 euro beer in Grizzlies in val claret. Is that covered under a student budget
ski holidays
SurferRosa_, Try Livigno, Its a bit of a schlepp from the airport but skiing is ok and its cheap/party central
snow report
I have had a bunch of good deals over the years, I cannot afford to take all the family otherwise.

My opinion is agree the week you want to go, then wait to absolutely the last minute to book. If its a mixed group of intermediates you will be less fussy on where you want to go.

Also if you dont mind sharing see if you can find somehwere that will discount for four sharing, there can be serious discounts to be made. Went with equity last year, all four of us to Vars, flights, transfers, half board and equipment hire for 620quid for all four of us! Even eastrn europe cant beat that.

Main tips again - book last minute, dont be fussy over accomodation or resort, share rooms.

good luck
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy