Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Bulgaria - more quick tips.

Poster: A snowHead
- Don't take the yellow pistes

... Multicolour piste maps with five variations on the miserly three you'll find as standard elsewhere in Europe. But don't decide on a route that includes a yellow - yellow means pistes are "planned"....

- Only buy the Chanel no 5

... If your partner likes to leave it in on display in the bathroom, but rarely uses it.

... Or if you have an annual gift list that includes people you hate. Apparently the forgery standard of the packaging is excellent, but as for the product itself...

- Take earplugs

... Soviet era hotels have musical plumbing

- If you're tempted to buy a Rolex

... Buy several. It will be cheaper to chuck them away when they pack up.

- No, you haven't arrived in Disneyland by mistake

... Nor have all the escapee furry animals been pensioned off and sent to retirement in Bulgaria - just the multitude of photographers' gimmick to get you to pose for photos.

Ok, this article in today's Observer is a little scathing, but it does list a few good points. They mainly revolve around the words cost, price, bargain, value for money. Vodka Tonics for a pound, excellent cheap meals (away from the stodgy standard East Europen fare of the hotels). The ski areas small, but tree-lined, as in the resort visited by the reporter, Borovets.

Watch out fellow candidates Grenoble, Albertville. Sofia hopes to host the 2014 Winter Olympics.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PG, blimey - I haven't even made it to the paper shop yet!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ian Hopkinson, astonishing how often things posted here turn up later on BBC or Sky. Our info service is working well. Wink
On topic - - - - @ £374 for 7 nights H/B and scheduled BA flights with Inghams - it's certainly cheap. £71 for lift pass or £101 'learn to ski' pack including ski school and equipment hire. They ain't paying the instructors much and you're not likely to get Salomon's best for £30 difference.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 17-10-04 8:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've made it to the newsagents now! I was interested them to see the article say that Andorra was shedding it's "cheap as chips" position and going upmarket - to be replaced by Bulgaria.

It feels a bit odd reading about ski-ing that people clearly did last season...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AHHHH but you are all talking about Borovets!!!! Bansko is a completely different kettle of fish altogether.. We have the latest lift system, 41km of NEW piste and counting (not sure the total new kms for this year yet).not to mention the great off-piste. Its mostly tree lined but wide. The hire equipment (in the gondoal station) was all brand new last year and yes most of it was SALOMON.
We dont have street vendors enticing you to buy their fake jwellry/perfume. (unless you count the weekly Sunday market). The larger hotels are Im afraid reknown for their absolute unpallatable food, but the likes of us small family hotels all serve great food. Independent travel can usually compete quite favourably with the tour companies also. Bansko also is aiming for the more upmarket rather than 'cheap as chips'. Please dont knock until you've tried
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
OOOOOOOOOOOPs just one more thing!!!

Sorry about the TYPOS! Embarassed
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
An interesting article about big mountain free skiing in Bansko from Skimag.com. At the end of the text there is a slideshow with some excellent photos. Check it out.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've seen quite a few articles here and there on "up and coming winter sports destination of Bulgaria".

They must have an excellent promotions department, and/or with a big budget!

It certainly sounds a excellent place to try out if low cost is a priority.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
According to the Sofia News Agency...
Quote:

2004-11-07
The number of British tourists visiting Bulgaria's winter resorts is expected to jump up by 50% this season, as compared to winter 2003, media said Sunday.

Up to 50,000 Britons are expected in Bulgaria over the next months, Bulgaria's Dnevnik daily said, citing data from the World Travel Market bourse in London.

Still, a good snowfall is believed to be crucial for attracting the British interest.

True - some snow would help rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It is an interesting topic to follow the tourist market in Bulgaria but the fact is that Bulgaria is one of the few growing destinations in Europe. The funny article above is surely written for Borovets or Pamporovo but as Glynis have mentioned Bansko is absolutely different.

Our Swedish friends's opinion is that Bansko is like Chamonix but not that crowded with not many nasty Swedes around. I guess these fellows have had too much from their own compatriots. Anyway, there are still not many tourists over here and you can still have some good skiing with no queweing during the week and still good in the weekends. The ski runs are various for all level skiers. The highest ski place is at 2600m. The facilities are newbuilt from the last year. There are 2 new lifts built this year and a new ski run which will be a challenge.

The town is nice and have lots of cultural sites to offer as well as excellent traditional cuisine and wines. There are several wine areas in the Bansko region and the visitiors can have daily guided wine tours as part of the entertainment. It is proved that skiing and wine goes well.

There is a large number of family hotels in Bansko and this is truly the best way to stay there, because they are cosy and comfortable.

You can find several accommodation oportunities at www.banskotravel.com as well as ski touring, freeride guides and guided tours in the wine regions.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I dunno .. not convinced. I was in Borovets .. terrible ski conditions, limited pistes, antiquated lifts, queues, terrible food .. and generally not impressed. But as you say, perhaps its just one or two resorts that are not impressive .. however I did also visit Bulgaria in the summer time years ago .. went to Sunny Beach .. and again it was dreadful !!

Twice in Bulgaria was two times too many IMHO Crying or Very sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I dunno .. not convinced. I was in Borovets .. terrible ski conditions, limited pistes, antiquated lifts, queues, terrible food

Believe me Sonya Bansko really is very different. Before moving to Bansko 2 years agoo from the UK we had spent most of our Bulgarian ski trips in Borovets. There really is no comparison. I even question myself now as to why on earth we waisted so much time on Borovets when we could have had a far better deal in Bansko
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Glynis, That's great that you're happy there .. but I'm afraid Wild Horses couldn't make me try Bulgaria again .. winter or summer Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not a mention of Pamporovo - ideal for beginners and intermediates. The same for eating as everywhere else - eat out !
Have been to Borovets once (and only once) - that's why we keep going back to Pamporovo ! Have heard that Bansko is the place to go - but I've also heard it costs more ! It seems that joining the EEC means that Bulgarian resorts are going to go through a "pull them skiers
in as fast as you can" period - building pistes on the wrong sides of mountains etc etc. All I can say is get out there while it's still cheap and before they pull all the scenery down. snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wothee, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
Wothee, When did you go? I have beginner friends who are going to Borovets in Feb. Is the hire equipment still awful? I haven't been to Pamporovo since 1998 but it was good for beginners then.
snow report
Hi Elizabeth B and Chris. Sorry about the delay in replying Chris (Xmas and all that drinking stuff). We went to Borovets in Feb 2001. It's ok if you like the late nightlife (Karaoke (?) etc) and quite a few young beggars. The equipment was ancient, but then again we were only 3 week old skiers in effect, so beginners should be ok with the gear. We just said no no to the place, it was the worst snow conditions we have ever come across (but then again somes days at the bottom of the slope it was 23C ! ). Have been to Val D'Isere, Val Thoren, Albertville, Val Cenis and Bardonnechia since so have been a bit spoilt ! We will be going back to Pamporovo in early March for some more medicine. Anyone going there say hi to our long standing teacher Tania Ivanova. Very Happy
snow conditions
Right thanks. You have answered my question. I feel glad that I have donated my old and knackered boots to the guy who is going in the expectation they will be better than what is available in Bulgaria. I think you have proved me right. snowHead
latest report
Ok - Bansko again.

Poster above says there's 40km NEW piste opened this year. Websites say there's 40km piste. Confused. How much skiing is there ? What %'s red, blue, green, black (&yellow!) ?

How close together are the main lift bases ? Are they walkable from the centre or do you need a bus/taxi ? How much is a lift pass ? What slopes are there on the right of the piste-map, where it dissappears off the side of the map ? What prices for off-piste guides ?

ETC !

I'm finding some contradictions in the info I can find on this place; someone please give me somethng concrete and up-to-date !
snow report
austin7,
Quote:

- Don't take the yellow pistes

... Multicolour piste maps with five variations on the miserly three you'll find as standard elsewhere in Europe. But don't decide on a route that includes a yellow - yellow means pistes are "planned"....
Not personally vouched for but from PG's original post - and he's a reliable soul.
ski holidays
Ian - Happy with PG's input, it was the contradictions I found elsewhere that prompted me to post.
snow report
Mate of mine had new yr in Bansko and is going back in feb to buy an apartment! He was well impressed. He says the 2 bed appt s 40 thousand euros!!!
ski holidays
that's about28grand, yeh ? possibly not bad.

bumped back in the hope some fo the locals can answer my questions.
snow report
Try PMing Glynis. She lives there.
snow conditions
Hi Austin7

Just seen your posting, sorry not been online for a few weeks as I have been very busy and am having to scan through weeks of postings as you can imagine!!!

Bansko this season officially has 65kms piste. Wouldnt really like to hazard a guess as to what percentage is Blue, Red or Black. Maths not always been my strong point! But there is plenty to keep everyone happy, including beginners. (In the past people have said that there's not enough for beginners but I would disagree with this). There is a piste map (latest print version) on my website if youd like to look foryourself at what is available. Dont be put off by the fact that there seems to be only 1 short black! some of the red runs should actually in my opinion be upgraded to black.
Bansko is at 930m the skiing starts at 1467m. There is a gondola that takes you from the edge of the village up to the skiing. And snow permitting you can also ski right back down to the village on the 7 km ski road. Most people take the ski bus up to the gondola station each day as it is a slight uphill incline. We provide our guests with free transport for this. The slopes in Bansko long, wide and mostly tree lined which offer a little protection from the elements. There is some excellent off-piste although in answer to your question Im not sure how much an off-piste guide would cost. I can find out if you'd like me to. The lidt to the right hand side of the piste map is'nt working and they dont plan to re-open it in the forseeable future, as far as Im aware its for safety purposes as this slope tends to be prone to avalanches.

I think I have covered most of your questions but if you have any others please let me know.
snow report
BARGAIN BARGAIN BARGAIN. That's all I have to say about Pamporovo. One should not expect cordon bleu cuisine in a developing country for the money paid. For instance last year i paid £300 including learn to ski pack with crystal for the 5* Pamporovo- so it doesn't quite compare with western european expectations of a five star hotel. However for the money one simply cannot complain. This year prices are up slightly from increased demand- I reckon one can still get an all in deal for around £370. Haggle haggle haggle Shock
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy