Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Parking at XScape, Milton Keynes?

Poster: A snowHead
I vaguely remember reading that you have to pay for parking when using the XSCape slope at Milton Keynes? Is that correct, or is there a paarticular arrangement for slope users who park there?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nope you definitely have to pay.
£60 ticket if you don't, as a friend found out to his disgust.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You have to pay, and the amount varies according to the colour of the zone. Generally, the further from the doors, the cheaper it is.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
alex_heney wrote:
You have to pay, and the amount varies according to the colour of the zone. Generally, the further from the doors, the cheaper it is.

How far would I have to walk to get free parking? Wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You have to pay?! Gosh!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, if you park at the western end it's only 25p/hour (purple zone). You just then have to run the gamut of all the KFCs etc to get to the slope entry.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kermit wrote:

is it a private parking company, if so just ignore the parking ticket, these companys rely on people being scared and paying up. free parking rules
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, no special arrangement for slope users. The outside purple area is cheap and the inside red area is relatively expensive. Cineworld used to reimburse parking but not sure if they still do. I think gym users also get some kind of concession. See http://www.xscape.co.uk/snow/milton-keynes/about-us/car-parking/?PHPSESSID=69b9

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 31-08-07 17:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
graeme wrote:
kermit wrote:

is it a private parking company, if so just ignore the parking ticket, these companys rely on people being scared and paying up. free parking rules

Are you sure this is true? Confused
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

is it a private parking company, if so just ignore the parking ticket,

rob@rar,
http://www.mkweb.co.uk/Xscape/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=14843

Park in the purple section, It is quite a walk from the free parking areas to Xscape especially with ski's etc
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
slikedges wrote:
graeme wrote:
kermit wrote:

Are you sure this is true? Confused

as long as its a private parking company, then yeah its true, relies on contract law. i dont know of any cases that have gone to court, many people basically tell them to "sod off, take me to court", never hear anything again
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, park outside the KFC and as near to the street as you can, i think it is the purple zone and is the cheapest. All day is £2.75 FOr instance.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Driving a car costs about 30-60p a mile including depreciation. The parking at MK is really cheap compared with a lot of places. I continue to be amazed that people will drive half a mile out of my home town's centre to park outside my house to avoid a 50p parking charge.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, there is free parking near the Holiday Inn (?) opposite - but it does mean crossing a dual carriageway to get to Escape Toofy Grin But the purple parking is cheap enough at £2.75 for 11hrs. Where as samharris paid so much more in the red zone on Wednesday wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As long as you put more than £1.75 in the Purple ticket zone you get till 8.30 the next morning. Near KFC by the road is the closest you can get.
Or wait 1 year and you can park at Hemel for free, right on the doorstep.
ski holidays
Park here and walk acorss the road?

http://www.premiertravelinn.com/pti/hotelInformation.do?hotelId=23901&iscsell=
snow report
Thanks for all the advice - it will be a test of my will power to park by the KFC and not pop in to say hello...
ski holidays
Thanks for asking this rob@rar - I'd have never noticed until it was too late! See you and the others tomorrow.
snow conditions
What a rip off Shocked Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad , parking free at Castleford and Braehead Cool Cool .
latest report
Park near Sainsburys or Waitrose. They are just across the road from XScape. It is 100% free.

Don't say I never do anything for you guys wink
snow report
Whitegold, used to be 2 hours max didn't it?
snow conditions
Slikedges -- I don't know, tbh.
snow conditions
graeme wrote:
kermit wrote:

That may work for the supermarket type car parks, where there is free parking provided you meet the conditions and don't stay too long, then a severe penalty if you go outside thta.

But it doesn't stand a cat in hell's chance of success wuth a normal pay and display type car park.
ski holidays
So they not only have rip-off prices but they charge you to park your car so that you can pay them said rip-off prices... sheesh! Shocked
ski holidays
I usua;;y park on the bit next to the road, which is (I think) 20p per hour. Not bad really. Saves hassle, as everyone else wants to fight it out for the free parking spots.
ski holidays
R32 wrote:
What a rip off Shocked Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad , parking free at Castleford and Braehead Cool Cool .

To be fair to xscape if you look at the parking map there is little free parking anywhere in the shopping district. You have to pay on the roads and near the big shops with a few <2 hour free zones.

I dont think (i could be wrong) that Xscape gets the parking fee
latest report
John Lewis has free parking all day from 9.30 Very Happy
latest report
Free parking. Looking down the hill from the slopes front door you have pay and display, rip off car park, next there is a road and on the other side facing up the hill more rip off car parks. This set of car parks only have four rows, you will notice a pub on the left hand corner, all the car parking down the hill from here is the green zone "Free" Toofy Grin This bit is too far out of town for the casual shopper so most of the time has spaces, always interests me that visitors to the slope park in the pay and display bit me 10 feet away it's free. The front door of Excape is about two minutes walk, ok so have to cross the road, but remember it's free. Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Michelle wrote:
rob@rar, there is free parking near the Holiday Inn (?) opposite - but it does mean crossing a dual carriageway to get to Escape Toofy Grin But the purple parking is cheap enough at £2.75 for 11hrs. Where as samharris paid so much more in the red zone on Wednesday wink

The red zone (outside the front door) was £4 for 5 hours. In comparison to parking in Central London, as I do fairly often (when you get charged £1 for 6 mins Shocked ), I thought that even the expensive area was a reasonable cost.

Also, we didn't have to drag our stuff very far snowHead
snow conditions
samharris wrote:
In comparison to parking in Central London, as I do fairly often (when you get charged £1 for 6 mins Shocked )

Shocked indeed. It'd be cheaper to pay someone minimum wage to drive your car round all day long instead of parking it. No wonder they all have drivers down there.

Quote:
Also, we didn't have to drag our stuff very far snowHead

Ahh, the price of convenience Very Happy
snow report
FenlandSkier,
Quote:
the price of convenience

wink Toofy Grin

Quote:
It'd be cheaper to pay someone minimum wage to drive your car round all day long instead of parking it.

Or catch the train. Sadly, that's even more expensive rolling eyes
snow report
I didn't think parking costs at MK were too bad at all in comprison with parking in my local town - we did Puple zone when I went - paid the £1.75 as mentioned above, and just walked past all the shops into the end with the slope - I guess if you have huge amounts of gear is not ideal, but I didn't think the walk was too bad and that the £1.75 was very reasonable for the relative location to the slope - imho you'd have to be a bit of tightwad to resent £1.75 for all day.
latest report
Megamum, same here. To park at Xscape for a few hours can cost you just a quid if you go in the 20pph section.

Parking in Rugby town cenetre where I live is all on residents parking stickers and £1-per 30mins meters. Disgusting!!!
latest report
Guys!
Were all meant to be fit... this is a skiing forum... we're highly toned athletes...

and moaning about walking a few meters rolling eyes

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Michelle wrote:
Guys!
Were all meant to be fit... this is a skiing forum... we're highly toned athletes...

and moaning about walking a few meters rolling eyes

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Exactly we're skiers not Sherpas, that's why they invented ski lifts, so we don't have to walk.
snow report
Spyderman, sorry - I thought that's why they invented men - to carry all the gear Puzzled

Laughing
snow conditions
Michelle, Laughing

Thanks to all for the tip about the purple zone, which was duly found and the nearby machine fed with £1.75. It really wasn't any distance to get to the slope, but after a couple of hours telemarking it felt like a longer walk back!

The telemarking thing was a real blast, and it was good to meet up with some more snowHeads on the slope. Thanks to PhillipStanton for paying for slope time and the instruction as I'd left my wallet at home. I don't make a habit of asking to borrow money off people when I meet them for the first time, honest Embarassed
latest report
rob@rar, what's the deal with telemarking? Went to MK a bit back and a couple parked next to me were explained they were doing it but before I coud ask what it was, they'd shot off.

Is it that running on skis thingy, with the pivited binding that lets you raise your heel? Didn't think MK would be big enough for something like that.
snow report
Specialman, yes that's what it is. The toe of your boot is fixed into the binding, with a cable which hooks around the back of the boot to secure it. The boots can flex because they have a sort of bellows arrangement above the instep/toe area.

It was my first time doing it and MK was plenty big enough. In fact we didn't use much more than half the nursery slope as we were getting used to the difficulty of balancing and making some basic turns. In some ways it is very different to Alpine skiing and your body's instincts have to be challenged to make progress (imagine if someone changed the pedal arrangements in your car so the clutch was in the middle and the brake on the left!). It was only on my very final run that I managed to link three turns, and they were wobbly, inelegant things at best Smile
latest report
Specialman, It's not the running on skis thing, that's Langlauf or cross country on skinny skis. Telemarking is like alpine skiing when you're going down hill, except the bindings allow to heel to be free so the technique is different. You have to put skins on the skis to walk up hill, unlike cross country skis which have 'fish scales' on the bases.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy