Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do you wear on your head?

Poster: A snowHead
Where do I ski? I've answered clearly. Not the west, not Canada, the Northeast: Vermont, New Hampshire, New York.

Anyone got a boring picture of the lift line at Killington? Stratton, Okemo? Anyone?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We were hoping you might.

Your original generalisation was

abc wrote:
stoatsbrother wrote:
EKnight - another Helmet. (Dainesse) - I am not sure where you ski, but perhaps 50% of people skiing/boarding in US/Canada wear a lid these days.

Perhaps? More like 5% in the US.

with no specific locale or sample indicated.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nor did you. Well, except, "down here"!

I was using the same generalization as the earlier statement, "US and Canada"!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That lift queue picture is not selling Whistler to me. Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You'll only see lift lines like that during the very busy (eg: Presidents Week, Spring Break etc.) periods. Besides which locals know which lifts to avoid on which mountain at what time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Anyone got a boring picture of the lift line at Killington? Stratton, Okemo? Anyone?

Seeing as you've asked so nicely:

Ramshead Lift, Killington

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob wrote:
Snowy wrote:
davehk wrote:
...it's also useful when skiing narrow tree-lined runs, of which there are quite a few in Whistler (roll on March!).

Where's that then? Where are the tightest packed skis you can ski thru in Whistler?

More or less anywhere below tree line I'd have thought.

Err, sorry, I meant, tightest packed TREES not tightest packed SKIS! D'oh!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
veeeight wrote:
abc, I don't know where you ski; 75% easily across here poss. half that again.

DELETED PHOTO

Harmony Chair, Whistler

veeeight, That looks like the Emerald chair to me, not Harmony... Little Angel wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snowy, you're quite right!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I thought that was me in that pic then with the pale blue helmet but it hasn't got bear ears. Laughing (well it's such a horrid colour I couldn't imagine anyone else choosing it, but you can spot me a mile off)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sweet rooster. It's a bit pricey but as the strength is in the cabon kevlar weaving on the exterior rather than the polystyrene on the inside it can take multiple hits without having to be replaced. Useful when you hit as many trees as me!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Besides which locals know which lifts to avoid on which mountain at what time.

Not criticising Whistler in this but that is one of the really bad excuses trotted out by locals to defend a place. I'm a tourist in everywhere I ski and don't have local knowledge, queues can still be a pain.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
letitsnow wrote:
.... it can take multiple hits without having to be replaced. ....

I wouldn't bank on that. If it gets a good belt you should realy get another.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
T Bar, true. I know how to avoid queues here at peak season, but that's irrelevant to the punter who pays my mortgage. I really don't need him to have a pants holiday.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

but that is one of the really bad excuses trotted out by locals

Unfortunately in my case it seems to be true. I don't queue. A punter (if he/she wants to avoid lift lines) has a choice of researching (this info is available in "the" book), hooking up with a local, or skiing with an instructor. Every man and his dog seems to be at the bottom of the Emerald Chair, whilst the rest of the mountain can be relatively quiet. So go figure.
latest report
Mosha Marc wrote:
letitsnow wrote:

I wouldn't bank on that. If it gets a good belt you should realy get another.

True dat. And the proof is: put a steel salad bowl with no padding on head and let someone whack it.
snow conditions
sweet rooster- High impact protection due to carbon weaving and doesn't make my head look as big as any other model!
ski holidays
Quote:

letitsnow wrote:

I wouldn't bank on that. If it gets a good belt you should realy get another. Thu Sep 06, 07

What i really meant was that any damage due to the strength being on the exterior is that damage is visible as opposed to nearly all the other helmets that the strench comes from the polystyrene information!
snow conditions
letitsnow, pardon me, but
Quote:
to nearly all the other helmets that the strench comes from the polystyrene information!
hardly clarifies your point?

The strength is on the exterior in all hard-surface helmets. Foam padding -cannot- spread a point impact over a wider area, it is there to absorb energy, which a hard shell cannot do.
snow conditions
veeight - thats not a lift queue, try this Smile
In a resort that uses the slogan 'designed by skiers for skiers'

Harmony chair

snow report
Bones, BLIMEY!
snow report
Hurtle, that's not so bad.

It's when there's a similar line at Attitrash to ski ice AND someone's busy cutting the lock on your good skis that you brought -just in case there was a natural snowflake- that things really take a nosedive.
latest report
Bones, Looks like 2003 vintage to me..... and I can see one of my favorite descents on there, the line of the old Blue chair! Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

The strength is on the exterior in all hard-surface helmets. Foam padding -cannot- spread a point impact over a wider area, it is there to absorb energy, which a hard shell cannot do.

In to comply with EN1077(helmet safety test) sweet Rooster came out tops due to it's exterior resitence during the impact test.

The impact test is a 1kg piece of metal with a 60 degree point on it. All helmets must resist this to get the EN1077 rating.

I'm not saying don't change your sweet helmet if you have a big fall but you are far less likely to need to due to it's exterior superior strength compared to any other brand i have heard of on the market.
snow report
letitsnow, in any kind of impact (at this level!) the energy has to either be transferred to the struck object or absorbed by a barrier. What does sweet rooster do Puzzled
latest report
Bones,

That is complete pile of poo... I'd want my money back. How long were the waiting times?
snow report
JT wrote:
Bones,

That is complete pile of poo... I'd want my money back. How long were the waiting times?

We were waiting around 35 - 40 mins if memory serves Sad other lifts were about the same, That photo was from about 3 years ago and we vowed never to go back. we did however go back this year and will definately avoid the place now. It is good skiing and the village is nice but the queues, the weather and the hype do have a negative effect.

This is what we called the Dickie Bow effect Razz

ski holidays
Bones,

Based on my foray this year Harmony has been screwed even more by the "Symphony effect". Build a new overhyped/underdelivering lift one bowl over and all the punters feel they have to get over there and back at least once a day - leads to crazy crunches at Harmony as well as the usual at Emerald. I'd expect the totally unnecessary W-B connector lift to lead to similar problems next year around late morning/early afternoon.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Got to agree Fatbob about the new Gondola all it means is people will follow the sun easier creating more bottle necks at certain lifts., as for symphony bowl its a nice area to head to and with fresh snow it can be fun. so long as you get there early then head out as the crowds arrive. All it really does tho is invite people over there and creates queue problems at Harmony and Emerald lifts when they want to get back.
latest report
Those lift queue piccies are unbelievable!! I don't think I'd want to ski where you had to queue like that. Just imagine the black looks you'd get as a novice if you missed the next available place due to inexperience!!
snow report
Megamum wrote:
Just imagine the black looks you'd get as a novice if you missed the next available place due to inexperience!!

Not really a problem: there's usually someone directing traffic up front. My impatience threshold is somewhere around 35mins.

There are usually better choices other than NOT skiing,
for beginners herringboning or sidestepping back up is a very good alternative once the wait -is- that long.
for some events even intermediates can get priority with a race bib, the park is often separate and there is usually other terrain.

A little bit of cleverness, planning and unlaziness can go a long way to avoid sitting through all that. At least more than once: lines like that are more common on feeder and cross-connect lifts.
snow report
Sun cream, Yes I'm folically challenged. snowHead
ski holidays
A lovely mass-produced alpina helmet which i am in the mood for customizing if I make the uni ski team.
snow conditions
I had a thought - my helmet is already in my photo album:

I'm not so keen on the turned out edge at the neck line and rather think something a little bit more trendy will be called for in due course, but it was cheap, seems to fit, has the appropriate EN standard and it DOES keep my ears warm. Also, the kids have matching ones and I think if I wear one then they can't really refuse. However, theirs are smaller and only have one snowheads sticker on them!!
snow report
Someone mentioned novelty hats - take a look at these - you will need to scroll down about 1/3rd of the page.

http://www.skee-tex.co.uk/special.htm
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy