Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do you wear on your head?

Poster: A snowHead
pam w,

Quote:

The best way to look like a "noob" is having new matching everything

Err..................if you are still a noob then I guess there's no harm in looking like one.................Err................. is there [smiley]hopeful[/smiley]?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Despite a fair few years of skiing and knowing the benefits of a helmet, it still has to be pretty damn cold before i put any kind of hat on. Then it will be a functional blue beanie. Though to be fair if its cold neough for me to put it one it will be white with frost in minutes.

Maybe its an age thing, in the same way that i still can't see me wearing a helmet when cycling.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Indoors (i.e. a snowdome) nothing.

On plastic usually nothing unless it's raining or cold, then wear a North face 'Castro' hat which has the added advantage, being peaked, of keeping the hood on my jacket out of my eyes - particularly useful when teaching a group 'coz it's handy to be able to see them... sometimes. wink

On snow have always worn a beanie (or whatever used to be the fashion) when cold and nothing when it was warm but I've now got myself a helmet - better safe than sorry!

I'm one of those people who started skiing many years before helmets were seen on the piste and I guess as a result I've held out for longer than I should have but I think one of the reasons for my decision to get a helmet was definitely the realisation that carving on modern skis was increasing my average speed a hell of a lot. Also on sometimes crowded pistes I decided it'd be safest to get some protection, particularly after a few near misses with boarders recently when they simply rose from their middle of piste 'rest' sessions and without looking fired themselves straight into my path. Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A (Viking) Helmet. wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Helmet everytime, need a new one this season as i cracked mine last year! Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Helmet.

And not just for protection against hitting rocks or other skiers hitting me - it's also useful when skiing narrow tree-lined runs, of which there are quite a few in Whistler (roll on March!).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, anyone who attaches that much significance to what you're wearing is a boring and shallow individual anyway.

On the headgear front .....

- a stripy beanie or
- a baseball cap (probably bright red this year - 5€ Decathlon special) or
- a Giro Bad Lieutenant in blood red (dubious colour for a helmet when you think about it)

..... depending on what I'm doing and how warm it is.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've adapted the Halo headband idea:
http://store.haloheadband.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y

and replaced the wicking textile wrapped open cell foam mounted at the forehead of all my bike helmets with Plastazote. Works so well that I'm going to see whether a Halo beanie would work under a ski helmet for wearing with goggles.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hankthepenguin, welcome to snowHeads. Hope your head didn't suffer too much when you cracked your helmet last season Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hankthepenguin, Hi - welcome to this, at times, madhouse. What on earth were you doing to crack a helmet!! Shocked

Lizzard, Thanks for the observation Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
EKnight - another Helmet. (Dainesse) - I am not sure where you ski, but perhaps 50% of people skiing/boarding in US/Canada wear a lid these days.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dianese helmet - started wearing it 2 years ago and will never go without one now.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
K2 Helmet....soooper comfy and keeps the noodle nice and warm but not too warm.

From Motorcycling days I'd say that fit is the most important factor...not style. A badly fitting helmet might ruin your holiday being uncomfortable and might actually injure you in a fall, while a well fitting one might save your life in the same situation.
I have a slightly unusually shaped head (kinda streamlined) so had to look for ages before finding helmets that fit well. Found two.....a Sweet something which cost about £150 and a K2 which was much more sensibly priced....guess which one I got.

After a few days of skiing quite fast with a helmet I feel vulnerable skiing without it now!.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Started wearing a helmet a couple of years ago but find that unless it's january it's too warm for me. I am lucky enough to suffer a excess of heat so loosing that heat through my head is usually a blessed relief, chair lifts not withstanding of course. Of course I can always take it off, but then find it a pain to know what to do with it! If anyone has any tips be grateful as teenies will be skiing this year and I have to set a good example! On a quiet day on the slopes I'm currently with Elizabeth B on this - hood or the strap on my goggles over the tips of my ears is usually plenty, worst case is usually a beenie I generally have always around in my pocket - I think current incarnation is a Scott but I loose them so frequently I usually pick up something in TK Maxx.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ChickenDhansak, I find the Giro Fuse with thirteen vents lets heat out quite well. Six of the vents are controlled with slider, although the remainder have removable plugs which can be lost.
latest report
helmets for all the rungsp family...It's like a car seatbelt...you feel naked without one after a while.
snow conditions
FenlandSkier wrote:
No-one's owning up to wearing a comedy hat with horns/antlers/ears yet Very Happy

I do Very Happy With pride! I possess a wide range of silly hats including - jesters hat with bells on (tho a bit embarassing when crashing cos everyone hears the bells jangle and looks around Embarassed ), one with all those multicolour long tentacle things coming out of it, and nessie! Also have some more sensible beanies and my new fave with earflaps with little plaits hanging from them and built in headphones for my ipod Very Happy I also carry a range of buffs for emergencies..... but my helmet never sees the snow, only use it racing on plastic - cos I have to.......
latest report
Have worn a helmet for about 4 years now

Occasionally, it has a cow attached Toofy Grin Shocked
snow report
Megamum :Hi - welcome to this, at times, madhouse. What on earth were you doing to crack a helmet!! Shocked

Compressed in a hidden dip and caught an edge, flipped and cracked my head on some ice. I ripped my MCL, it was my only second morning skiing so the rest of the week involved lots of beer (sometimes with toast in the morning)!!! Thankfully i got another week skiing in mammoth mountain at the end of the season. Laughing
latest report
A Giro I bought somewhere around 1998-1999... now that I think of it I do need a new one for this season...

Tex
snow conditions
hankthepenguin wrote:
Thankfully i got another week skiing in mammoth mountain at the end of the season. Laughing

Cool, Mammoth - good innit snowHead
latest report
hankthepenguin, Ouch!!

Glad you weren't permanantly damaged!!
ski holidays
Mr L has stick-on doggy ears to attach to his (lime green) helmet ( ears designed for a bike helmet - made all the peage ladies laugh). His cool French mate refused to go boarding with him last year until he took the ears off. Laughing
latest report
I guess if anyone skis at Christmas time you could get some of those reindeer antlers on a headband and find some way of attaching them to a helmet.
snow report
Megamum, Stufff like that designed for helmets is widely available from e bay Sad
ski holidays
boredsurfin, Oh, no!!
latest report
Barts beenie
latest report
Lizzard,
Quote:

His cool French mate refused to go boarding with him last year until he took the ears off.

And who could blame him? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stoatsbrother wrote:
EKnight - another Helmet. (Dainesse) - I am not sure where you ski, but perhaps 50% of people skiing/boarding in US/Canada wear a lid these days.

Perhaps? More like 5% in the US.
ski holidays
abc, I don't know where you ski; 50% easily down here poss. half that again. Don't forget they are -required- for underage lessons.
snow report
codger, Thanks - might see if Father Christmas is open for business, not cheap are they!
ski holidays
davehk wrote:
...it's also useful when skiing narrow tree-lined runs, of which there are quite a few in Whistler (roll on March!).

Where's that then? Where are the tightest packed skis you can ski thru in Whistler?
snow report
I make my kids wear a helmet - so I wear one to prove how cool it is Cool
latest report
Cebe Helmet

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=286619&l=8894f&id=699465954
ski holidays
Snowy wrote:
davehk wrote:
...it's also useful when skiing narrow tree-lined runs, of which there are quite a few in Whistler (roll on March!).

Where's that then? Where are the tightest packed skis you can ski thru in Whistler?

More or less anywhere below tree line I'd have thought.
snow report
abc, may be 5% on your local US hills, but I ski in the US and Canada every year ( and both this coming season) and 50% is based on counting in lift queues. Even Austria would manage more than 5%.
ski holidays
comprex wrote:
abc, I don't know where you ski; 50% easily down here poss. half that again. Don't forget they are -required- for underage lessons.

Where is "down here" for YOU?

I've been skiing all over the northeast. No, most skiers DON'T wear helmets. Where do YOU see 50% of them wearing helmets???
snow conditions
This hat normaly Very Happy

However I will be getting a helmet at the PSB
snow report
Pennsylvania (particularly SW Pa), MD, Virginia, West Virginia qualifies as 'down heah', I reckon. Haven't been to down to Beech or Sugar in the last 3 years so really couldn't say about them.

Using the 7 million alpine skiers figure from here and the 600,000 helmet sales per year figure would seem to indicate 10% even without considering that few people replace their helmets every year.

Probably a more reliable figure than your or my impression of the NE.

Alternatively, we could look at recent lift line pics, for example, from Keystone, CO:

snow conditions
abc, I don't know where you ski; 75% easily across here poss. half that again.

Harmony Chair, Whistler
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy