Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots in Hand luggage

Poster: A snowHead
Guvnor,
Skis, poles, snowboard in large board bag.
Clothes, helmet, snowboard boots (or skis boots) in main bag.
Not room for 2 pairs of boots so one pair as hand luggage.
OK ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
masmith, So stick some clothes in the board bag, leaving room for the boots.....

OK?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Guvnor, not really, I guess if I tried really hard then yes I could squeeze everything in, but then would be over the wight limit ... plus taking them as hand luggage gives me an extra 10kg plus weight allowance (that's about £60 each way with Easyjet).

p.s. sorry about the "OK?" ... still not in a good mood this morning !
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
masmith, wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Stick 'em in the hold.....if they get lost, they get lost, then you can open another thread of 30 pages debating which ski boots you should purchase. If the hold baggage gets lost and you have your ski boots, what are you going to ski in anyway?

Hire skis, but I'll still have my boots that fit. Saying that I've always packed my boots in my rucksac and sent it in the hold, I just think the rules for what can and cannot be hand luggage are stupid. If my skis and boots don't turn up whn I fly to the dolomites this year anyone know if I'll be able to hire in Arabba. I ski in Crispi XTs, but wouldn't mind using a higher more piste orientated boots, on Fischer TStynx tele skis with 7TM bindings
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dave Horsley, So you have your boots and can hire some ski's.....what are you going to be wearing?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Guvnor, You can also hire or buy clothing.

Ski boots are by far the hardest part of your equipment/clothing to replace at short notice.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
alex_heney, Yeah, I guess you are right....you'll never find a decent bootfitter in resort, nor a wider selection of kit.... rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Guvnor, Of course you will. But that takes a lot more time out of your skiing holiday than hiring a pair of skis and a jacket and salopettes.

And it means you are buying another pair, which is a waste if yours then turn up. You will be very unlikely to ba able to hire a pair which fit as well.

Do you actually have your own boots? Your lack of concern for them going missing makes me wonder.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
alex_heney, Yes thanks, a couple of pairs....

I can picture the scene now for a lot of posters on here.....

Geneva airport, Saturday morning 09:00.....family 'skilikethewind' arrive for their annual jaunt, their luggage has decided to go to Kabul....

Tour transfer rep is busy trying to sort out the legal issues caused by a mid-air fracas between rival drunken Glaswegian groups miming blowing their fife and giving the red hand salute, which resulted in one poor mite getting a pair of Nordica's in the gob, the coach driver is chain smoking Gitanes and swerving unnervingly towards the central barriers, all of little Jemima's special dietary requirements of coco pop magic straws have gone East, Mrs Cholmondley-Smythe's winter woolies are being pawed by some bearded Taleban sympathiser, the lack of phone charger means you will not be able to call in to the life or death weekly team briefing on Monday morning with Jones from Accounts, you have no washing kit for personal hygiene but are starting to notice a nasty whiff in the air because Baby Rufus appears to have hooked himself up to the main effluent pipe from a meat rendering factory, shame you didn't have room in your hand luggage for more than one change of clothes for him.....but at least you've got your precious boots.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have flown from Edinburgh and Stanstead with boots in a boot bag no problem, I also had my bindings in my boot bag once and this was ok as well. Once when we flew from edinburgh my friend asked the check-in girl if ski boots were allowed as hand luggage and she said no as they could be used as an offensive weapon rolling eyes we replied it was just as well we didn't have our boots in our hand luggage then.... and walked away with our boot bags on our backs.

I have never had a problem with security, how many of the people who have had problems with boots in their hand luggage have been told this by the check-in staff and how many by the security stafff?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would suggest that the moral to the story is thus:-

Whilst it is such a grey area, and rules may appear to be made up depending upon the mood of the check-in, securiuty, airport, carrier or whoever, just save yourself any stress by sticking them in the hold. I can easily see how they can be considered an offensive weapon (ever dropped them on your toe in the boot room?), certainly when compared to a pair of nail clippers or a bottle of benylin....

That way little Jemima will get her coco pop magic straws and you'll all enjoy your holiday more as a result
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I can easily see how they can be considered an offensive weapon (ever dropped them on your toe in the boot room?)

Dangerous yes, offensive no.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would suggest the moral of the story is this:
1. Be polite to check in & security staff.
2. Check in with plenty of time.
3. Read and understand the security rules before you turn up (regarding size of bags and definite banned items)
4. Do not try to cheat/break the rules.
5. Put little Jemima in the hold.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
masmith, depends whose been wearing them and for how long.....
latest report
Guvnor wrote:
I can picture the scene now for a lot of posters on here.....

Geneva airport, Saturday morning 09:00 <SNIPPED>.

Laughing Laughing Excellent stuff
snow report
Guvnor, hadn't thought of it that way !
latest report
masmith, If I cn change the views of just one person, I feel vindicated in my opinions wink
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
I would suggest the moral of the story is this:
1. Be polite to check in & security staff.
2. Check in with plenty of time.
3. Read and understand the security rules before you turn up (regarding size of bags and definite banned items)
4. Do not try to cheat/break the rules.
5. Put little Jemima in the hold.

and if you are not sure check before you leave home!
latest report
Guvnor wrote:
masmith, If I cn change the views of just one person, I feel vindicated in my opinions wink

what if you change their view, and now they think you are wrong? Laughing
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, Me? Wrong? First time for everything I suppose..... Laughing
snow conditions
Guvnor, you must be single!
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, No, but Mrs Guvnor doesn't post on here wink

In fairness, I thought I might have been wrong once, turned out I was mistaken
snow conditions
Bristol Airport now list Ski Boots specifically under the "Prohibited Items" (Banned in the cabin - i.e. Hand luggage) section here

http://www.bristolairport.co.uk/at_the_airport/baggage_and_security.aspx
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, Here, Here Happy

I am one of those security guards from Birmingham, I understand the issues with boots in hand luggage, but unfortunately the Department for Transport set the rules that we follow. As guards we have no say in it - if I was to let boots through, then have them found inside the departure lounge I would end up prob loosing my job. As for the explanation of why they are not allowed - its usually that they COULD be used as an offensive weapon. (Yeah I know, why would we risk damaging our boots in such a way lol!!!)

99.9% of guards will be very polite to you and try and explain things, if people start arguing we simply don't have the time to stand and argue back, so we have to try and expedite things by quickly getting people back down to the check-outs.
snow report
if they limited hand luggage to a book or newspaper and a packet of sweets for short flights, we could all get on and off the plane about 30 minutes quicker!
ski holidays
Isn't the answer to wear your boots onto the flight and put a pair of trainers in your bag. Swap them over once you get on the flight Razz Laughing

They can't stop you if you are wearing them Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, strap the planks on too - then you can fill up your ski bag with baked beans and bacon Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thefatcontroller, ermm Yes we can lol wink hehe - thats already been tried through birmingham this season.
snow conditions
StephenFrench, and...what was your reason for stopping the person Confused Laughing
latest report
thefatcontroller, Why on earth do you think they can't stop you if you are wearing them?
snow conditions
alex_heney, because StephenFrench says above he works in customs and his blink makes me think the person did not get through snowHead
latest report
StephenFrench wrote:

... but unfortunately the Department for Transport set the rules that we follow. As guards we have no say in it ...

I understand that you have to follow the rules, but there is some discretion surely, otherwise how can other airports (Luton/Heathrow being the ones I've used most recently) allow ski boot as hand luggage without contarvening Department for Transport rules?
latest report
What about Liverpool airport now are thery letting boots through as hand luggage snowHead
snow report
thefatcontroller wrote:
alex_heney, because StephenFrench says above he works in customs and his blink makes me think the person did not get through snowHead

Sory, that makes no sense.

I was not asking why you thought he did stop them (I'm sure he did).

I was asking why you suggested (in the prior post) that they can't.

I would assume that anything which is not allowed as hand luggage is also not allowed to be worn.

The description on the airport site isn't "not allowed in hand luggage", but rather "not allowed in the cabin".
snow conditions
alex_heney, I was joking notice the Laughing

But as you raise the point, the correct wording from the website is

Quote:
The following items are not permitted to be carried in the cabin

The person would be wearing not carrying.

Its all in the words, contracts, words etc have to be very carefully checked.... wink Laughing
snow report
strange - took 2 pairs through in hand luggage at Gatwick last week. This makes me think this is about individual airport rules. I have carried boots on 3 times since the terror alert.

Bristol airport has a track record of interesting decisions about safety. Remember the boycott of their unsafe runway?
snow conditions
jase2472, Liverpool allowed boots last year, can't vouch for this year though.
snow report
thefatcontroller wrote:
alex_heney, I was joking notice the Laughing

Fair enough. I wasn't sure whether the laugh was about outwitting them, or was suggesting this wasn't genuine.

Quote:

But as you raise the point, the correct wording from the website is

Quote:
The following items are not permitted to be carried in the cabin

The person would be wearing not carrying.

Its all in the words, contracts, words etc have to be very carefully checked.... wink Laughing

The aeroplane would be carrying, and I think that is the sense they mean Toofy Grin
snow report
Exeter airports site says ski boots are not banned by the DoT. Sounds like some odd local decisions Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy