Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italy vs Austria for snow record

Poster: A snowHead
For The last 4Years i have been to austria in late december and feb and the snow was great but this year i wil be going to pila, Italy in (newyear 2008) and i would like to no if pila has a better snow record than the resorts i've been to because i've heard some bad storiesabout the snow in italy.
jan 2004: soll
jan 2005: Leogang (saalbach hinterglemm ski circus)
December 2005: Leogang (snow was exeptional and tempretures were often around -10!!)
Feb 2007: Schladming

If anybody could give me any help comparing these resorts to the snow record in pila and the val d'aosta in italy i would be very thankful
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
henryclegg, welcome to snowHead
I can't help you - but I'm sure someone will be along soon who will Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
www.igluski.com gives snow histories of lots of resorts. The info isn't that comprehensive but it will give you a fair idea. I went to Pila in March 2006 and the snow was good.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ok thanks ikabodblue i'll give that a try. would anyone also no how extensive the slopes and how long it would take an intermediate to get bored of the slopes?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
henryclegg, "how long it would take an intermediate to get bored of the slopes" is an impossible question to even begin to answer without knowing the particular intermediate referred to.

First "inetrmediate" covers such a wide skill range that it doesn;t really have very much meaning as a way of rating somebody.

And second, each individual has different preferences in terms of the amount of terrain they like to have available. Some people would prefer to get as many miles as possiboe under their skis without repeating runs more than they can avoid, while others prefer to really get to know an area well, and will happily ski all day on just 2-3 runs.

While I don't know Pila, the slopes look reasonably extensive, particularly if you want red pistes, and you can get passes that include the other Valle D'Aosta resorts.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
henryclegg, I don't get bored easily, i can do the same run several times and still enjoy it but then I slog up and down the same bit of plastic every week and don't get bored!!
That said I loved Pila, I'm an intermediate and I like red runs and there was plenty to keep me busy. I tried the blacks and they were not tooo bad, more shades of grey I would say. While steep they were quite wide so lots of room to turn and really quiet mid week. Just about all the runs were quiet when we were there, I never waited more than five minutes for a lift even at the weekend! The downside of the slopes being so quiet was the lack of apres ski, not the most lively little town you'll ever come across! Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
henryclegg,

I've spent a whole season in Pila and I didn't get bored! The season I was there wasn't hugely plentiful in terms of powder days, but there was enough to ski the whole resort, all season. Plenty of slopes for intermediates, blacks aren't that hard, and there's some good off piste if you're up to it. It's not that far from Chamonix - hour and a half through the tunnel, 30 / 40 mins or so from Courmayeur and La Thuile.

Pila is generally very quiet, but it can get busy at weekends with Italian daytrippers. I expect it will be fairly busy at NY, but less so than "major" resorts.

Are you staying in Pila itself or down the valley in Aosta?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm staying in the aosta valley i figured that there would be more to do down in the big town of aosta and the slopes of pila are easy to reach via the lift, also it easier to get to cormayeur and la thuile from aosta
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pila only has about 70km of piste (I think) but it is quite varied and interesting for its size. You will probably want one or two awaydays if there for a full week henryclegg.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I went mountain biking there this summer, it's a great place for it. Definitely hoping to try it this winter, it looked like it would be a lot of fun.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Aosta is cool - it will feel more like staying in an italian town rather than a resort. the outskirts are quite industrial but don't be put off - the old centre is lovely. Where are you staying?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pila is high. The village sits at 1800 meters. It has a good snow record. New Year will be fine.

The flipside is that the ski area is tiny. A good athlete will ski it out in a couple days.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
henryclegg, I've never been though I've been to La Thuile which was pretty good.
As far as snow record the SCGB gives the average for the upper slopes 1st week of Jan as 60 cm or so. Where to ski 2007 says that it faces north and Norht east with most of the slopes over 2000m and has extensive snowmaking. Looking at that I would guess the piste skiing should be pretty reliable but the off piste may be a bit thin at that time of the year on average.
How those conditions compare with where you've been when you've been I don't know.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beanie1, I'm stayin in Hotel Mancuso, a fairly rustic hotel to say the least but it is right in the centre of town and 300m from the ski lift so i can get up into the ski area of pila easily and plus its about the cheapest hotel around
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Whitegold wrote:
Pila is high. The village sits at 1800 meters. It has a good snow record. New Year will be fine.

The flipside is that the ski area is tiny. A good athlete will ski it out in a couple days.

It's legal to ski the same run twice, I've been told. Especially the interesting ones. And maybe experiment, taking different lines, different turn shapes, speeds. Or even venturing a little from the groomed.

Radical I know wink
snow report
henryclegg, Since you are staying in Aosta I take back what I said earlier about apres ski. The old bit is beautiful, all cobbled streets and even some Roman ruins! Nice bars, restuarants and shops too. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
There is plenty to do in Pila alone for a week. But if you really want to, Courmayeur and La Thuile aren't far.
snow report
yeah im satying very close to the bus station and hav hired a car so i intend to get away to other resorts at least 4 a few days
latest report
Dont fret my friend, Pila has some fantastic skiing (www.pila.it)I have skied there & all around the Aosta valley for the last 10 years, Courmayeur, la Thuile (a personal fav & a real powder trap!) cervinia (highest resort in Italy open almost all of the year, guaranteed snow!mile after mile of intermediet heaven including a 22km red!) are all within an hr or so's drive so you will def get some good skiing! Italy is Much kinder on the wallet 2 than Austria or France & the mountain resturants are gen good value. Def go to la Thuile for a day www.lathuile.net (It has 150km slope's & is linked to la rossiere in France ) it never has any Q's even at the weekends & you will not find many brits there either.
latest report
In regards to this question I wonder if there is a site similar to this one http://bestsnow.net/ but for europe...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy