Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl in early December

Poster: A snowHead
Decided on Ischgl for a cheeky weekend early Dec, was curious about what conditions to expect so asked the hotel, here is their totally unbiased response

Quote:

yes we have enoug snow in end of november, beginning of december. You alwas will
be able to ski down to the village, because of snowmachines. The probabilty that
you can ski on natural snow down to the village is 90 percent. Up in the skiing
area there are always good snowconditions because of high altitude and snow
machines. So do not worry.

Would you believe them? I do, but maybe more in hope.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
masmith, It is high (up to 3k metres) so I imagine there would be snow somewhere. Don't they officially open on the last week in November?

We went the 3rd week in March this year and considering the poor season and warm temperatures, everything was open with lots of cannons lower down. The runs down to the resort were ropey but skiable - not particuarly enjoyable though. It was fine higher up.

It's a fantastic resort, I'd take the chance.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hayls, yes, last March we spent 2 days in Kappl, didn't get to ski Ischgl but went there for the apres - superb. We'll certainly take the chance (was going to do so before the encouraging note from the hotel). Worst case scenario is we drive round the corner to the glaciers at Solden, but am hopeful it won't come to that.

The most encouraging part was that we should almost certainly be able to ski back to resort, I hate getting the gondolas back down at the end of a day.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They are probably right about the snow machines - they'll be on full blast in December. I've not skiied in Ischgl but last December in Zell am See they managed to open almost all the mountain including runs to resort, most of it because of artificial snow (as there was very little of the real stuff). By March most resorts aren't running their cannons because it's too warm and the season is coming to an end anyway.
So anywaymasmith, I would have faith in the people at Ishgl!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

So anyway masmith, I would have faith in the people at Ishgl!

absolutely
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
masmith wrote:
Hayls,
The most encouraging part was that we should almost certainly be able to ski back to resort, I hate getting the gondolas back down at the end of a day.

From my experience at Ischgl, unless you are very competent and fit, the runs back down to Ischgl can be chaotic at the end of the day. Especially if the snow is poor. So don't discount it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hope it works out for you, but I went to Ischgl the opening weekend in 2003 (29th November) and the runs to the resort were closed for us.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

From my experience at Ischgl, unless you are very competent and fit, the runs back down to Ischgl can be chaotic at the end of the day. Especially if the snow is poor. So don't discount it

Got to be easier than finishing on La Face in Val d'Isere on the 1st May a couple of years ago - could think of many more pleasant things to do on May Day !

But thanks for the heads up, a couple of our group may opt for the ride down, but if it's open, the rest will be down it, come what may.

Ray Zorro, did you really need to be so honest ! Not worried as we're there for the 2nd weekend of the season wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
masmith, sorry, I thought I'd posted more than that Confused Even though the lower runs were closed, there was still over 100kms available and the conditions were very good Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ray Zorro, well that's more like it ! If upper conditions are like that then I don't give too hoots if the home runs are closed. You had me going for a minute ...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ray Zorro, do you have any more pics online, would be great to get my mates excited (well, OK, me really)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm having a bit of trouble with my isp so I'm afraid I can only do these small ones.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This is probably the last I have of any use - all taken on the 29th Nov 03.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ray Zorro, many thanks, and this was in a poor year when you couldn't ski back to Ischgl ?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
masmith, that's correct, it was bare below the middle station, but it was snowing as we left so I'm sure that they would have opened it all up soon after that. You'll be fine and will have a great time Very Happy

One thing we found then was that visa and mastercard weren't widely accepted (maestro only), so unless it has changed, take plenty of cash.
snow conditions
Ray Zorro wrote:
masmith, that's correct, it was bare below the middle station, but it was snowing as we left so I'm sure that they would have opened it all up soon after that. You'll be fine and will have a great time Very Happy

I think I need to go to Ischgl next year. I assume there's lots of potential for exploration and off-piste fun?
ski holidays
gortonator, tell you in 4 months, hopefully.
latest report
I've said it here before, and I'll say it again. Ischgl is the best all-round resort I've been too. Although it's not the highest, 95% of the runs (or something like that) are above 2000m so it's pretty snow-sure. Early season, the runs into the resort may be patchy - even in peak season at the end of the day they can be crowded, and not for the timid. The resort runs are classed as red, but could be black in many resorts). However, almost all the skiing is in open bowls above above 2000m.
Lots of off-piste - the top left of the map over into switzerland I found to be the best. Just about every face is skiable and accessible. After a dump it takes ages for it all to get tracked out.
Best lift infrastructure in Europe (according to Reuters 'Where to Ski and Snowboard') and backed up by my personal experience. Puts most major French/Swiss resorts (especially the 3V) to shame.
Very lively (but upmarket rather than trashy) apres-ski
Nice architecture and pretty village.
Not cheap, but beer (on or off the mountain) is London prices rather than the rip-off prices you get in the 3V.

it's not for:
* Couloir-hugging big-mountain skiers. The terrain is good and challenging for advanced-intermeiate/good skiers, but it's not Verbier or La Grave.
* People who frown at lively apres-ski, drunken fun and who want a quiet break. It's upmarket rather than trashy, but it's a fun resort.
* People on a tight budget (but it's better value for money and cheaper then any of the top french resorts, and as good as terrain, with better infrastructure)
* English people who are scared of foreigners (it's moderately Germanic). You can get by in English, but a few German pleasantries go a long way.

As Ray Zorro says, don't expect places to accept Visa, but there's cash machines everywhere so it's no hassle.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 17-08-07 21:47; edited 2 times in total
snow report
kamikaze, Say it again, say it again.
snow conditions
I'd agree with everything kamikaze said, we were there last Christmas and are going again this year. Even last Christmas when the snow was thin on the ground across nearly all of Europe, Ischgl was very skiable, we had blue skies and no snow for the week, but there was still enough snow to have a great week's skiing. It's true the last part of the runs into the resort are a bit kamikaze, steep, icy and busy but there's always the lifts. When you get back down the après-ski is rocking and you soon forget how scary it was Laughing

Another great thing about Ischgl is that very few Brits go there. Twisted Evil The lift pass offices accept Visa/Mastercard by the way.

Can't wait for Christmas Very Happy
snow conditions
So where are the apres places to head to ? I mean the 'staright after skiing' type apres, not the late night clubs. The sort of places on akin to the Kangaruh and Mooswirt in St Anton ? Do they exist ?
latest report
RachelQ wrote:

Another great thing about Ischgl is that very few Brits go there. Twisted Evil The lift pass offices accept Visa/Mastercard by the way.

Can't wait for Christmas Very Happy

Sounds even better. Stayed at Lech 2 years ago and that was refreshingly low on Brits, and teh skiing was excellent with teh whoel Arlberg accessible. Ischgl is top of list for next year right now ...
snow conditions
One thing about the runs to resort at Ischgl .They are actually great runs, it is only when busy at the end of the day when they become unpleasant. First time I went I stayed at Galtur at New Year and remember well the runs back as being horribly overcrowded. Last year we stayed in Samnaun andd skied down to Ischgl a couple of times at midday and early afternoon, the runs down were really enjoyable in spite of the snow being largely man made. You may find that if the resort is quiet at the beginning of december the runs back are not too crowded.
Though being a weekend I wouldn't bank on it I guess.
snow report
T Bar, yes, true, that 's just reminded me. One morning last Xmas, first lift up, we looked down from the gondola at the run back to the resort, freshly pisted with cordurouy tracks, got to the top and skiied all the way back down to the town. it was lovely skiing, just 4 of us making fresh tracks down a steepish piste, and most of the town still sleeping (there should have been 6 of us, but the other 2 were still sleeping too!).
snow conditions
masmith, Apres-wise, it depends which end of town you are in.....one side you have the Trofana Alm, which is lederhosen, Oompah and drunk Austrians swinging from the rafters in their ski boots, or next to the main lift station is the Kuhstall, and several others.....I was staying this side of town, so can't comment on t'other....
snow conditions
masmith, We loved the Kitzloch near the Pardatcshgrat bahn (turn right out of the lift and it's on the other side of the river) for the cheese and ski boot dancing on tables. There is also table service there and you can also reserve a table. The Paznaun restaurant on the mountain has a DJ from 2pm onwards - hence lots of drunken skiers on the home runs. This place does fantastic pizzas and grilled chicken and has a lively atmosphere. We mainly stuck to the Pardatcshgrat bahn side of town as our hotel was on this side. We didn't get a chance to sample all the apres ski as there is a lot!
snow conditions
Guvnor, Hayls, thanks. I know the Kuhstall from brief visit earlier this year, the place was absolutely jammed at about 8pm. We will be staying not far from the Pardatcshgrat bahn so the Kitzloch will no doubt make it onto our itinerary!

While were on the subject does anyone have any views on the Alpenrose ?
snow report
Guvnor wrote:
masmith, Apres-wise, it depends which end of town you are in.....one side you have the Trofana Alm, which is lederhosen, Oompah and drunk Austrians swinging from the rafters in their ski boots, or next to the main lift station is the Kuhstall, and several others.....I was staying this side of town, so can't comment on t'other....

The Schatzi is worth a visit. Particularly if you like good looking women in 'traditional' Austrian clothing. wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lager, surely you don't mean this traditional clothing?

We'll stay well away from that sort of thing, thank you very much wink
snow report
Booked flights to Zurich a few years ago for a cheeky early weekend in december to the Arlberg. However at the time the arlberg had no little snow and looked at the ski club snow reports. Ischgl was reporting 200km of open pistes. So decided to go there. On entering the village from the valley there was no snow. However to my complete surprise the two runs to the village were open. The snow was excellent and was very impressed overall.
snow report
went there the weekend before Christmas last year and had the conditions were pretty reasonable despite terrible reports all round the alps ... a mate was there for a couple of weeks earlier the opening weekend and even had a foot of powder one day ... we'll be heading back this for a weekend mid-December

was even surpirsed to find the apres was kicking whereas it doesn't get going anywhere else till after christmas

masmith wrote:
So where are the apres places to head to ? I mean the 'staright after skiing' type apres, not the late night clubs. The sort of places on akin to the Kangaruh and Mooswirt in St Anton ? Do they exist ?

start at the bar in the Hotel Elizabeth (photo from masmith, above) to warm up and then head through the tunnel to the main bit of town and to the Trofana Alm until it closes at 7pm and then into the Romantica next door ... or after the warm up Nicki Stadl's is good but it doesn't shut and you can still be in there at midnight of you're not careful
latest report
Received alert from snowforecast.com, 20cm+ predicted for Ischgl next 3 days.

Webcam alert, webcam alert.

God, how sad am I Puzzled
snow conditions
Can anyone recommend any hotels/apartments?

I am usally happy with Pierre et Vacances standard or a bit better.

Looking at going for NYE (29th Dec to 5th Jan). Is this advisable or will it be very busy?

thanks all
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy