Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should BASI introduce a race test for lower grade Instructors?

Poster: A snowHead
beanie1 wrote:
Fairly obvious answer to your question I'm afraid - women are physically smaller / less strong than men on the whole, and therefore will never be as fast.

Should puny blokes be set a lower threshold?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar,
Quote:
Please explain why someone 'old' (BTW, just what is the age range you're trying to insult on this occasion) is unable to be a good ski instructor, assuming that they have both the teaching and technical skills (neither of which are age related).

It's very simple, I have seen too many old farts walking away with passes. Some older, non-farts, also pass and I haven't got a problem with that.

Let me ask you a question; if this race is so important, then why the need for an age related handicap? Same course, same stopwatch, so down you go, pass or fail. The fact you have had to slip in a caveat show what a crap idea it is.

The other slightly more pathetic reason for a race is that the current system is (allegedly) riddled with the politics of 'who shagged who'. Hardly applicable to the vast majority of late 40' early 50's!

There has not been one single good reason for a race that's been put forward. Probably because there isn't one and BASI realise that.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tim Brown, that question has been answered by me and by others. Read the thread if you're genuinely interested in what other people think.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
veeeight, FastMan,

Thanks for that made wading through this thread worthwhile. On the Schild sequence the most notable part to me looks like frame 5 where she is visibly non-parallel and seems to be stepping across to the next turn/pivot and realigning her pelvis.

I'd welcome more of the same
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, an answer's been given, sure, but not a very credible one. Giving the old farts a joker to play because they are, well, old, less fit and weaker, doesn't sound like a race to me. More like some kind of strange drassage even on skis. There will be no benefit to the end user because it will not improve the standard.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tim Brown, not credible to you maybe, but perhaps credible to others. The fact that you think it's a race makes me thing you've not really understood this discussion.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, oh sorry, it's not a race, my mistake then. rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tim Brown, i have no interest in debating with you but the only time an age handicap was muted was for the Eurotest which is required for Grade 1.

This thread isnt about the Eurotest but a less demanding test at BASI grade 2 (or lower levels) which is similar to the TT, Aosta valley etc. to demonstrate and objectively measure a reasonable level of technical competence. Virtually all the Euro nations and Andorra require a timed test of some description at ISIA or lower levels, Why doesnt BASI?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tim Brown wrote:

You're forgiven. If you need help understanding things all you need do is ask, politely if you can manage it, and I'm sure someone will be happy to help.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret,
Quote:
Why doesnt BASI?

Because it proves little of relevance at those levels.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:
Tim Brown wrote:

You're forgiven. If you need help understanding things all you need do is ask, politely if you can manage it, and I'm sure someone will be happy to help.

Unless your skiing ability has improved considerably over the last three years, I doubt I'll need your saga council on any aspects of it.

Night, night. Off to Paris for rest of week.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tim Brown wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Tim Brown wrote:

Unless your skiing ability has improved considerably over the last three years, I doubt I'll need your saga council on any aspects of it.

It has, thanks for asking Smile You're mistaking my post for an offer of help - it wasn't.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Off to Paris for rest of week

lets hope there is no internet connection where you are staying....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob wrote:
veeeight, FastMan,

Thanks for that made wading through this thread worthwhile. On the Schild sequence the most notable part to me looks like frame 5 where she is visibly non-parallel and seems to be stepping across to the next turn/pivot and realigning her pelvis.

I'd welcome more of the same

I'd second this. This thread is almost the definition of a curate's egg!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would not have thought she was stepping.... but then I don't have a great eye... Looks to me like she is anticipated pre pivot and then skis unwind.... Puzzled
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
Quote:

Off to Paris for rest of week

lets hope there is no internet connection where you are staying....

Oh, there is. It's not very fast - I've run a speed test on it, and it wouldn't even pass BASI 2... Laughing
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, Laughing Laughing
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, Laughing
snow report
I can confirm that rob@rar sure skis purdy for a boy from the valleys.
snow conditions
Kramer, thank you kind sir, most generous Smile
snow report
Arno, how about starting a thread on understanding race techniques. I really liked the video as well...
ski holidays
skimottaret, it'll probably end up as far off topic as this one! but possibly not with such interesting results

but then again, nothing venture nothing gained
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, Toofy Grin Laughing that was a good one....
latest report
I had vowed not to reply anymore to this thread, but brillance needs recognition.Wear The Fox Hat, nice one.
snow conditions
little tiger wrote:
I would not have thought she was stepping.... but then I don't have a great eye... Looks to me like she is anticipated pre pivot and then skis unwind.... Puzzled

Maybe just my semantics - happy to be corrected by someone who knows what is happening. Maybe we need to get this stuff into Arno's new thread.
snow report
Although not relevent to the title of the thread at the Interski conference in Korea of 66 nations ski associations 63 voted in favour of a timed GS race similar to the Eurotest and the Mountain safety course to qualify for an ISIA "black" or top badge which will be equivalent to an ISTD.

ISIA is actively putting this into place. SO VIRTUALLY all the asscociations agree that a timed test at the Highest level (NOT the current ISIA or BASI level 1 or 2) will have a Eurotest of some description. It was vague on where the bar would be set.

THis top badge would be given equivalence in any member country and would allow autonomous teaching. The current ISIA will allow foreigners to wrok in ski schools. THis will be interesting to see how it will be applied in France....
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
THis will be interesting to see how it will be applied in France....

Laughing
ski holidays
rob@rar, there may be hope yet mate Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret wrote:
rob@rar, there may be hope yet mate Madeye-Smiley

They'd have to lower the standard an awful long way...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy