Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hemel Ski Slope

Poster: A snowHead
jordano42, snowHead Welcome to snowHeads snowHead and thank you for an informative and encouraging first post. I was very heartened to hear from elsewhere that the slope will only have one shop (Snow and Rock) and I hope that you will be able to confirm that for us. I have often heard offered up as a reason for the problems at some of the other indoor slopes in the UK, that they are run as malls with a slope tagged on the back. I think that we can all be very optimistic about how Hemel will turn out given the very fact that the main focus of Hemel will be its slope. Together with input from enthusiastic industry stalwarts like David, Stephen and Peter, I am very much looking forward to its opening. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jordano42, Thanks for the info, I have visited the site a couple of times over the last week or so to take photos as the matting came up and would be interested in photos from the site as the building goes up and is fitted out, I'm sure many snowheads would be fascinated to watch the transformation. I was surprised to see Snow and Rock closed as I spoke to the manager a couple of months ago and he believed trading would continue and then transfer to the new building once the structure was up. This development is really exciting and I look forward to being one of the first to use it, keep us posted.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Headplant, Snow and Rock closed on site last weekend. I think the intention is to be in a temporary store, somewhere local for next season, then move into the new building next year. The original plan to remain in the old building until the new one was built was not viable because of groundworks issues.
Quote:
I look forward to being one of the first to use it

After Me Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Spyderman, Can I book a lesson with you for the opening week, may be we could have a snowheads bash to Christen the slope for them Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This sounds good, I do hope it's run better than the completely shite MK snowdome.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
uktrailmonster, MK will need to make some drastic changes soon, lower prices and better condition, as both Hemel and Wycombe Summit will be open by late summer 2009 offering real snow. It will be interesting to see what PY does.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can't wait Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
uktrailmonster wrote:
This sounds good, I do hope it's run better than the completely shite MK snowdome.

I'm supposed to be going there on Monday night next week. Shocked I hope it's not as bad as my last visit. rolling eyes it was shocking.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Do you think this thread should be moved to Resorts section? No doubt there will be a lot of discussion here over the next 12 months.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
beanie1, Happy Birthday snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spyderman, Thanks!
snow report
 monster77
monster77
Spyderman wrote:

Quote:
Snow and Rock who have been present on site for many years, will move into an 8000sq metre shop

Surely you mean 800 sq metres? or is that 8000 sq ft?

Spydie if Slush and Rubble have 80m X 50m on two floors, then you would get 8000 sq m.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There's no way Snow and Rock will have 8,000 sq m, that would be simply massive, more likely it's 8,000 sq ft. They have 10,000 sq ft at Chill Factor e in Manchester.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
slikedges, Yes I can confirm that Snow and Rock will be the only retail outlet on site. They will have a superb shop which faces you when you enter through the main entrance. The concept is as a Centre of Excellence for snow sports and particuarly teaching. On that note we shall be recruting for teaching posts around this autumn. The recruitment process will be extensive as we want the best!! Keep an eye on the website. From the begining of May, the web site will expand with more information. It will also have live web cams of the construction.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
monster77, Oops. Yep 8000sq ft!!!!
snow report
jordano42, an artwork of how the facility will look when it's finished?
snow report
rob@rar, Will be on the web site shortly
ski holidays
When is the answer due on Snoasis? Living in East Anglia, it would be perfect for us and plans were for a 500m slope. Secretary of State is making decision on it and put it off to roundabout now or slightly later.

All in all, it sounds an amazing project.

Sad to hear the dry slope going in Hemel. I used to race there when I was a kid.
snow conditions
croskemj, I believe (but don't quote me) that the planning decision was defered, although I don't know until when. The plans look very ambitious. I find it incredible that these things are regarded as commercially sound, with likely soaring energy costs, but that's probably why I'm not a multimillionaire (or even a monomillionaire).
ski holidays
croskemj,

Decision is due in May. But it only has outline consent so they will need to go through the process to get detailed consent. It is then estimated to take 3 years' to build, so even if there's a positive decision in May I'd say it's still at least 5 years' off opening.
ski holidays
Ok - so a long old haul before it ever comes to fruition, if at all. Have to keep going to Europe instead for now - bummer. Wink It is very ambitious from what I read a long time ago and looked pretty amzing.richmond, When I win the lottery I will have my own private one and energy cost will be irrelevant.
snow report
jordano42, I have a boy just over 2 - Do you anticipate any kind of snow familiarisation activities for youngsters - be it sledging, snowplay or just basic ski orientation of the kind you see for the littlies in resorts?

and if he takes to skiing in the coming years, are you anticipating a healthy after school club scene ? -I relish the prospect of him attending some kind of regular club when he gets to the right age!

(btw, I don't intend being a pushy dad, but......)
latest report
Richie_S, Hemel has/had a very active race club whilst on plastic. I have no doubt that it will continue once the snow slope has opened. I am not sure of the minimum age for joining but it is a thought for the future. By the time Hemel re opens your lad will be 3 so, depending on his attitude to things sporting he may be able to do a short lesson.
snow report
Kitty, he's pretty gung ho and currently will climb anything and jump off any thing, so we'll see! - Like his dad, he shows little interest in a football, so I take this as a good sign!
ski holidays
Richie_S, Looks like I might wind up giving him a lesson then! Did you see Jayme Baggio from Harpenden on the skiing this morning? I am pretty sure she is a Hemel Race Club girl-she came 3rd in the GS race in Meribel.
snow conditions
Kitty, I would think most of the race meetings would be over at Hemel as they are no longer a dry slope, unless of course there is a snow dome league? I'm a bit disappointed as I only realised this season that Hemel was a race venue and now it's gone for the moment. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kitty, you'll be instructing at Hemel ? Cool... we plan on taking him away next season, so he'll hopefully have experienced some form of snowplay/ski's by the time hemel opens, and I'm very keen that (if he shows an interest) it isn't a further 12 months before he gets on a slope again... so the idea of regular sessions at a local slope sounds great!

I haven't seen the skiing from this morning yet... Sky+'ed it for viewing later... but I shall watch with interest!
snow report
Headplant, The Hemel Race Club is now held at the Gosling Sport Centre slope in Welwyn Garden City, on a monday evening. Welwyn have their own race club on a friday evening.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gsb, That's what I thought was happening, but didn't want to say in case I was completely wrong!
We were over at Gosling on Thursday night and we were the only people there. Would be good if there are any other local snowHead that would like to come have a play on plastic, to meet up there. There's a very pleasant bar for after ski refreshment Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Went past HS slope today. Looks like all the fencing is going up to get the site ready for the big machines and secure. The building (old one) comes down over the next few weeks i have been told. All the old dendix matts have gone. Its all very exiting, this time next year we will all have a new slope to slide on!
snow conditions
Update on Hemel Ski Slope. I drove past today and took a couple of pictures. The first 2 are what it looked like in March. The 3rd is today.

Lots of digging going on. Wouldn't mind driving my Landy around. Toofy Grin
snow report
Holy nostalgia batman! The snowdome better be bloody good to excuse the pillage of a fine dendix slope.
ski holidays
I hope they will be using the whole slope length. Is it still to be a 140m slope? Milton Keynes is 170m.
Troubles with MK slope are mostly caused by an unwillingness to shut down the slope every few years to do a complete de-ice and maintenance.

With the East Anglian monster slope I really don't understand why they aren't siting it elsewhere to get punters from London.
ski holidays
snowball, http://thesnowcentre.com/
snow report
snowball wrote:

With the East Anglian monster slope I really don't understand why they aren't siting it elsewhere to get punters from London.

While the snow slope is the main interest for those of us on here, it is only a relatively minor part of te development as a whole, so far as the developers are concerned.
ski holidays
snowball, Hemel is only 30 mins from North London, easily reached of an evening. Snoasis is a different story. It's in the middle of nowhere.
ski holidays
snowball, It's not a case of a snow dome operator trying to find the best site for the idea, the developers owned the site and tried to come up with the best use for it.
latest report
snowball, The whole design and management of MK has been a disaster from the start and still is. Hemel I'm sure have seen the mistakes and won't make the same ones.
ski holidays
Not sure I agree with that, Spyderman, in what way has it been a disaster? The snow used, generally, to be good (and sometimes still is, though it really needs the complete close-down and de-ice I mentioned and which was originally intended.). The website maked it difficult to find special events and offers, but that could be easily put right. I don't like the collumns down the middle though. The half-pipe was a fun idea but you wouldn't want it taking up half the slope more than occasionally.
I wonder if the one they started to build in docklands will ever get re-financed and completed.
ski holidays
snowball, Xscape MK cost £68m to build and went broke before they even opened properly. No doubt not paying many contractors. They built the building with the lift tow supports in place for a different design of lift than they actually fitted, so the lifts will never work correctly. They did not account for the heat sources from the shops, etc. below when planning the insulation factors, so icing will always be a problem. The columns down the middle reduce the usable slope widths. Health & Safety is poor in my experience. Slopes are strewn with unprotected furniture. The slopes are closed for Toboganing parties even though advanced ski sessions are taking place. Snow quality is generally poor. Lesson prices, particularly private ones, are ludicrously expensive. Lifts are often broken. Open practice is too expensive. I could go on.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy