Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hemel Ski Slope

Poster: A snowHead
Just been speaking to Warren Smith and I was asking him about ski slopes in the southeast, as I will be spending an increasing amount of time down there for the next three years. He was telling me that his hometown slope at Hemel is undergoing a big redevelopment which is due to be completed in 2009, and that a mate of his, Pete Silver Gillespie was involved, along with Snow and Rock. I also understand that there are going to be a number of BASI training courses run from there. I know that there are a few snowHead s who ski at Hemel and would be interested if anyone knows more about this?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BGA, The existing plastic slope closes at the end of March 2008, for a 15 month build. The new main slope will be approx 140m x 32m, plus very large teaching area. Snow & Rock will have a shop on site, which will be larger than their existing one.
Things were delayed for a year because of council permission, due to the look of the building, but the new design of the snow dome will have a Grass roof, so as to blend into the hillside.
BASI are to set up a training centres of excellence, one will be Hemel for the south and the other Chill Factore in Manchester to cover the north.
Pete Silver-Gillespie as a Hemel based BASI Trainer, has already and will have a very strong involvement in the new facility.
I am pretty much up to speed on all matters concerning the Hemel slope, so please feel free to ask any specific questions.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BGA, Is it going to be 'snow' rather than plastic?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Spyderman,
Quote:

one will be Hemel for the south

Quote:
I am pretty much up to speed on all matters concerning the Hemel slope, so please feel free to ask any specific questions.

Shocked : Hemel's well oop North are BASI having it movd to the beautiful South? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle, snow. Warren was very upbeat about it, I think because he's worked with the people involved and also because he's from Hemel and that's where he got his start in the snowsports industry. Clearly Spyderman is the man in the know for more info.

boredsurfin, south of Watford Gap = darn sarf to me. Flat beer and jellied eels. Luckily for you southern types, enlightened northerners like myself occasionally come down to undertake missionary work
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
boredsurfin, Still quite a way for real southerners, innit? MK is not close and Hemel isn't that far short of it. The worst thing is having to cross the River in the rush hour, if one's to have any chance of getting there at a reasonable hour. I used to have to drive to MK for work fairly regularly, and it was a 'mare.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spyderman, recent reports are that HEMEL will not be open beyond 31st December? Got this directly from Ali Smith (MK) and confirmed by PSG?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spyderman, Latest rumours suggest an earlier close at the end of the year but no definite news yet as far as I know. Ground tests appear to have been going on over the past couple of weeks.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
elbrus, Nick W, The latest confirmed news that I have re closing date is March 31st 2008, but I am there on Thursday and will check that info.
The end of March was originally picked for the reasons of the groundworks, which would ideally need to be done in the summer, maybe things have changed.

Hurtle, The River Thames is there for a reason, to keep Saarf Londoners where they belong. wink Laughing

boredsurfin, What would you do with a fantastic indoor snow slope anyway? Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spyderman, cheeky man! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle, True Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spyderman, the latest intelligence suggests that the slope (existing) has be purchased by one of the UKs biggest leisure companies. They have structured a management team including the former owner, two people from the leisure business sector and a leading ski teacher. The centre of excellence concept is well under negotiation with BASI. My "insider" suggests you will not be skiing there much after 31st December 2007!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was jus speaking to Terry Bartlett who said that the company building the Hemel slope (Costain?) are also constructing the Manchester slope and are due to finish there at the end of the year. Although the plan was to start work at Hemel after the winter it has now been decided to move the entire construction team from Manchester down to Hemel rather than let it break up only to be reassembled a few months later.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, I think there is some truth here. The company building Chill FactorE are Sir Robert McAlpine. They have aslo built MK and Breahead. Looks like they have the foot print for these centres. Chill opens November, re group and get down the M6 to Hemel. As mentioned byNick W, soil samples are already being extracted at the Hemel site.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I thought that construction had finished at Manchester and that they were just building up the snow depth.
ski holidays
elbrus wrote:
Spyderman, has be purchased by one of the UKs biggest leisure companies.

it wouldnt be Xscape would it?
snow report
skimottaret, I heard talk originally of the folks behind Centre Parcs, but that was some time ago.
I will find out for sure tomorrow night. Puzzled
snow conditions
elbrus, It sounds like build times might have changed, the original end of march closure, was based on the essential groundworks being done during the summer months, which kind of makes sense, plus dec/march is the slopes busiest time of year they might as well take advantage of the income. As it was a 15 month build they would only lose one high income period. If the build period has come down to say 12 months, then it would make sense and close asap in order to take advantage of the 2008/9 season.
latest report
It would make sense to use the same project management team as those who have just built Chill, although the building design is very different to any other snowdome in the country, as Hemel is built onto a hill rather than flat ground.
ski holidays
Sypderman - do you teach at Hemel?

Both myself and my 6 year old daughter were there most saturdays (Sept to Dec) last year and we'll be back from Sept this year bringing my beginner wife with us Shocked Shocked

I would recommmed Hemel for anyone learning the basics before going on holiday or anyone fancing a brush up before the season..yer its not snow, its not long but it beats most other recreational pursuits available around there at the weekends..it will be sad to sse it go as it is a "family" type business..friendly and a little chaotic..

They (the guys who own Tamworth) are talking fo doing the same to Wycombe Summit which caught fire some time ago...but that proposal seems to move at a glacial pace..GW perhaps???
snow report
Spyderman, The Amneville-les-Thermes one is built on a hillside, I think the Dutch ones are too. One of the Dutch ones is built on the site of a dry slope.
snow report
rjs, I haven't been to the ones in Holland, although they look fantastic and are seriously good value, well worth a trip I think.
As I said though Hemel is the only one in this country to be built on a hill. It might have been a good idea to approach the Dutch builders as they would have been more experienced.

cfc5mu0, I've taught at Hemel since 1991. The existing owners will be trying to keep the same feel to the slope when it changes, certainly a lot of the staff will be retained.
latest report
Spyderman, The problem I see in the future regarding maintaining the "family business" feel is that there will be dramatic changes in the business structure. It will go from a small business (under a mill turnover)? To a massive business costing 20 mill to build. Will the former owner retain much of a say do you think?
snow conditions
Spyderman, Not sure if you are aware but the hill you are talking about is land fill. Most of the towns rubbish went in there for years, I'm sure I remember when they built the athletics track and Jarman Park that there were concerns about methane. I really hope the grounds stable enough, the idea of being able to gain skiing qualifications on my doorstep, six miles away, is brilliant. snowHead
snow report
elbrus, AFAIAA SnoZone did offer to buy the whole thing and just turn it into another one of their domes. The present owner did not want that nor any of the staff. It really depends on how much the people putting up the money want to be involved in the day to day running of the slope. I suppose the difference is it's an established business with the same owner/operator for about 30 years, it makes money at the moment, it sure is going to make a shed load more when it goes to snow. If it was my money that I was investing, would I want to upset a system that worked and had people running it that knew the industry inside out. I would certainly think twice.
Things will no doubt change, but I hope it doesn't go the route of snoZone, where it's profit over and above customer satisfaction.
Hemel with the strong BASI links through Pete Silver-Gillespie and Andrew Lockerbie, the proposed centre of teaching and training excellence and it's focus on teaching rather than just recreational skiing, should set it apart from snoZone enough to make the operation a great success.
Plus it's location is perfect.
latest report
Headplant wrote:
Spyderman, Not sure if you are aware but the hill you are talking about is land fill. Most of the towns rubbish went in there for years, I'm sure I remember when they built the athletics track and Jarman Park that there were concerns about methane. I really hope the grounds stable enough, the idea of being able to gain skiing qualifications on my doorstep, six miles away, is brilliant. snowHead

I certainly am aware. I think a lot of the spoils from when the M1 was widened from 2 lanes to 3 lanes also ended up there too. There was a small landslide on the site about 10 years ago which wiped out one of the trainer slopes. The advantage of building on the hill is that the building doesn't have to be that heavy as it doesn't have to support the weight of the snow slope.
ski holidays
Builders seem to think they can complete the building inside of 12 months so dependent on final tests, start date may come forward to new year, so as to catch 2009 season. Very Happy
snow report
rjs,

McAlpines are due to finish on site at Chill Factor e at the start of November. You are right in that the slope itself is (very nearly) complete, as they will soon start chilling it (has to be done slowly), and after that they'll start making snow. There is still quite a lot of internal work to complete warmside, but it is moving very quickly - every time I'm there which is once or twice a week on average, there've been huge changes. Yesterday they were putting in paving in the street, and the pomas are in (lift structures been in a while)! Photo montages of mountains on side and back walls of the slopes which look amazing. A few of the shops and restaurants have already started their fit outs too.

There's a group on Facebook where photos have been posted if you're interested - although they're a few weeks out of date.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spyderman, Reading the stuff about the recent Dutch slope visit I ask myself why are we not building mega slopes in the UK? The cost must be very restricting (Chill 30 + mill and Hemel 20 + mill). Are the European centres built as cheaper constructions (overall facilities).

Chill looks impressive but is not a mega length. Hemel will be slightly shorter than MK (but much wider with no pillars). They just have to offer a world class facility in terms of snow quality, ski school etc.
snow report
elbrus, First thing I was amazed about with the slope in Holland is that they found a hill 520m long, I thought Holland was flat. Puzzled
I think a lot of the cost is to do with land availability and price, together with the reluctance of councils to award planning permission for such enormous buildings, which by their nature need to be reasonably close to large population centres in order to attract enough visitors to offset the huge costs. I don't see the Suffolk mega slope getting built for that reason, nobody lives there and the links are poor.
Hemel are relying on the snow quality, reasonable entry costs & their ski school to offer good value and a good experience for the paying customers, something in my last 4 visits to MK has been sadly extremely lacking.
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
elbrus wrote:
Spyderman, has be purchased by one of the UKs biggest leisure companies.

it wouldnt be Xscape would it?

I can now say 100% that Xscape & SNO!zone will have no involvement whatsoever in the new Hemel ski slope Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
I will know for sure within 10 days the firm closing date for the slope and approx opening date for the new snow slope.
ski holidays
Spyderman, any jobs going Laughing Laughing
snow report
skimottaret, For sure, for Instructors of your calibre wink 2009 your name is on the list. Very Happy

I think that the number of Instructors wishing to leave the existing slopes nearby and transfer to Hemel will be quite high, owing to the quality of the teaching facility and snow conditions that will be offered.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 2-09-07 16:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Spyderman, add me too!
ski holidays
rob@rar, The parking is free too. Very Happy
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:

Excellent - what more could I ask for! It's considerably closer too.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
Spyderman wrote:

Excellent - what more could I ask for!

BASI L1? Very Happy
snow conditions
rob@rar, rumour has it that a new XScape is going up at Lakeside in Essex. not sure where you are located but that coudl be an option..

ps how are the quads wink
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Spyderman wrote:

Excellent - what more could I ask for!

BASI L1? Very Happy

Hopefully L2 by the end of the season Smile
ski holidays