Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Camera do you take while sking?

Poster: A snowHead
Our Fuji finepix is so bulky so im considering a new one in time for this seasons trip.

I am not a fan of taking the back pack so im after a cam' that fits nicley in the pocket.

What cameras do you guys use? and what sort of size are they? or what do you recomend?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use a Sony Videocam... which is the size of my hand but I do carry it is a pack.

I can get stills from it but only at 1.3 meg...which isn't the greatest..but as it does vids as well, this is acceptable to me.

If I was buying again I might go HD video and want the still quality as high as I could get.

Can't advise much on still cameras, sorry
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Renry wrote:
Our Fuji finepix is so bulky so im considering a new one in time for this seasons trip.

I am not a fan of taking the back pack so im after a cam' that fits nicley in the pocket.

What cameras do you guys use? and what sort of size are they? or what do you recomend?

Not one that when you put it in your back pack and sit it a chairlift the lens gets crushed and you have to spend £100 when you get back repairing it Sad Mad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I carry a Cannon Camedia C-5060. It is slightly larger than what I want but OK for putting into a skiing outfit with a large pocket. The still picture has 5.1 Megapixels but the camera can double as a camcorder. I got a 4Gb compact flash card that I can hard use up in a day. I download each day's shots into a PC too (drive to resorts).

It has been a great tool filming the wife progress by following her from behind.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I carry a Ricoh R40 which is very compact but has a 7x optical zoom and takes excellent outdoor daylight shots, though fairly poor for night time flash shots. I also carry a Canon MV960 camcorder, which was the smallest miniDV with acceptable reviews I could find, and is pocketable.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I use a Kyocera Finecam S3R - a little bulky by today's standards.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OLymups mju. Weatherproof metal body, new versions smaller than ours, with larger screen. Most of our website pics are taken with it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
saikee, isn't it an Olympus Camedia, not Cannon/Canon?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Canon IXUS 850. It's very compact, has a wider angle lens than most cameras its own size (good for scenery) and has optical Image Stabilisation for when I have the adrenaline shakes Smile Also does video at a pinch (although resolution is only 640x480 and it records at 30fps so quality isn't great when used with PAL-based TVs).
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Canon EOS 300d, bulky slr but I like it.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This coming season I'm going to use my 2mb phone camera for day to day stuff and take my fine pix out for more detailed pics and video.
The Sony 880i is so thin it goes in virtually any pocket and the camera part has a landscape setting snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
70mm Panavision with full DTS ES surround sound. wink

OR a Sony P12 Cybershot, great lens quality. Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Portable cameras and camcorders are approaching the end of their lifecycles.

Mobile is the way forward.

I use a 5-megapixel Nokia N95.

It is a pocket-friendly phone + camera + camcorder + MP3 player.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold wrote:
I use a 5-megapixel Nokia N95
Won't the lens always be the weakness on anything small enough to go in your pocket ?
Stick a proper lens on it, and when does it become a camera that you can make a phone call on ? Confused

To answer the question, Canon Ixus 55, tiny, love it, breast pocket of jacket Wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The missus uses her Sony P10 Cybershot, safer for her to carry as Spyderman says great quality lens - fab results, plus can take vid too if needed. I use my good old faithful Sony P1 !! has been through rocks and trees dropped numerous times, fell on etc and still gives the results. Razz

Both cameras carried in pockets, small enough to fit easily about the person large enough so you wont drop em with cold hands. Can also be easily used with gloves on Smile

For a good cheap camera check out ebay, people change them as a fashion accessary, spare battery might be needed in cooler climates. Toofy Grin
latest report
I'm a convert to using a mobile as a camera for holiday snaps.

Been happy with a SE K800i, 3.2 megapixel camera which is enough. Had a look at the N95 as my contract is up soon and I don't fancy it.

SE have the K850 coming soon which has a 5 megapixel camera, hopefully it will be available when I'm ready to upgrade.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
Portable cameras and camcorders are approaching the end of their lifecycles.

Mobile is the way forward.

I use a 5-megapixel Nokia N95.

It is a pocket-friendly phone + camera + camcorder + MP3 player.

Speaking like a true clueless amateur! Very Happy

It's the lens, not the magapixel, that makes good photos. Crappy lens + large number of pixels = very detailed distortions. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I've an Olympus Mju 725sw. 7M pixels, waterproof, shockproof and tough metal body.

I've started using it loads more than my old camera as I'm not frightened of breaking it any more.
snow report
abc wrote:

Speaking like a true clueless amateur! Very Happy

It's the lens, not the magapixel, that makes good photos. Crappy lens + large number of pixels = very detailed distortions. Toofy Grin

Spelling like a true clueless amateur! Magapixel Laughing

The Nokia N95 has a top-quality, world-famous Carl Zeiss lens wink

Mobile is the future. Time to enter the 21st century Cool
latest report
For me its not the camera so much as the battery life. I use a Sony Cybershot W5 that takes 2 AA batteries and I can recharge them daily, and carry spares - 2-3 sets because they don't half go flat quick on a chilly January day, especially when videoing. Interestingly the 5 megapixel W5 has a much quicker shutter speed than the equivalent 7 MP version, and I imagine this generalises to most camera ranges. Although is not wafer thin it fits inside my jacket and can be operated with gloves on.
snow conditions
Whitegold, be a little while before cellphones are comparable to a half-decent compact camera if you want anything more than the simplest snapshot in ideal lighting unless lens technology and possibly physics! surges ahead
snow report
This year I took my Canon 20D and three different lenses, which was ludicrous really. I need to invest in a smaller camera, but then there's always a compromise...
snow report
Quote:

The Nokia N95 has a top-quality, world-famous Carl Zeiss lens

Yeah, "world famous"!!! Wink

"Top quality"? Compare to what? To other cell phone, of course!

It's like saying "the best piste skier".

The only sad thing is Zeiss cheapening their own brand name.
ski holidays
slikedges wrote:
Whitegold, be a little while before cellphones are comparable to a half-decent compact camera if you want anything more than the simplest snapshot in ideal lighting unless lens technology and possibly physics! surges ahead

Have you actually seen the output from recent camera phones, such as the SE K800i or the Nokia N95?

But also, how many skiers actually genuinely do take much more than snapshots?

There are certainly some, incluing some who are profesional or semi-professional photographers. But the vasy majority are really taking holiday snapshots, and a camera suitable for that is all they need.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Canon S3IS.

Fast lens, 12 x optical zoom with image stabilisation - great in low light e.g. bars! Smaller than an SLR but bigger than a pocket camera. Fits in a pocket (just), and batteries can withstand the cold. Big plus is video - DVD quality - it's better than many digital camcorders.
ski holidays
Quote:

But the vasy majority are really taking holiday snapshots, and a camera suitable for that is all they need.

How many snapshots you've seen that are too dark, blurry or out of focus? How many of them are out of an average point & shoot and how many of them are out of phone camera?

An experience shutter snapper knows what a certain camera can or can not do and live with the lmits. An in-experience one will simply shoot and hope.

The difference is between a middle of the road point & shoot that can deliver an acceptable photo even in less than ideal situations, vs a phone camera that will snap but yeild something totally useless unless it's perfect condition.

How many of the "stokes" posted here on Snowhead are from digital Point & Shoot of more than a year old? I bet 80-90% of them are. How many of them are from the latest and greatest phone cameras??? Puzzled
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:
slikedges wrote:

Have you actually seen the output from recent camera phones, such as the SE K800i or the Nokia N95?

But also, how many skiers actually genuinely do take much more than snapshots?

There are certainly some, incluing some who are profesional or semi-professional photographers. But the vasy majority are really taking holiday snapshots, and a camera suitable for that is all they need.

I have a Nokia N73 with a world famous Carl Zeiss Tessar 2.8/5.6 AF lens and 3.2 Mp imager. My wife has a SE K810i with a 5.2mm 1:2.8 3.2Mp AF Cybershot phone. Neither has an objective with a diameter of more than 5mm. My flawed but brilliant not much bigger Ricoh R40 digital camera with its 4.6-33mm 1:3.3-4.8 lens has an objective diameter of at least 23mm. Results, camera versatility aside, easily reflect this. However, like I say, for a simple snapshot in ideal lighting to email or MMS to a mate they're absolutely fine.

telford_mike wrote:
Canon S3IS.

Fast lens, 12 x optical zoom with image stabilisation - great in low light e.g. bars! Smaller than an SLR but bigger than a pocket camera. Fits in a pocket (just), and batteries can withstand the cold. Big plus is video - DVD quality - it's better than many digital camcorders.

Yup, the S3IS was the update (largely just a Mp increase) to my trusty S2IS, which has all these strengths plus many more and is still my main camera.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 28-08-07 7:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
MY phone had a Cybershot camera, loads of functions, and according to it's spec it si meant to be better than my hubbys' digital. It isn't . Ok for pics of friends on boozy nights out but nothing else.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Got an Canon Ixus 750 which is 7.1mp but has an optical viewfinder as well which is great for those bright days. Normally in my rucksack but later in the trip goes in a jacket pocket to make sure I take some photo's! This is my third Ixus - great cameras.
latest report
Olympus mju, it's "only" 5mp, but has a good range of options available. Fits easily in a pocket and has a tough steel body, and the battery does not seem to suffer in the cold.
snow report
Paper and some nice bits of charcoal. None of this fancy colour stuff.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat ,

You are right. It is an Olympus and not Cannon.
latest report
Renry, Nikon coolpix 7.1 Meg Pixel
It's small enough to fit in pocket and works well (see our gallery for examples)
I tend to leave the SLR's at home as they are too bulky
latest report
Sony DSC p120 and/or Sanyo Xacti - both 5mp - which is enough unless you are going to crop a lot and print large prints from the result. Also have used a first generation Ixus skiing, and use a nikon coolpix 4300 for work stuff

For me the key issues skiing are - most important first:
1) Battery resilience at low temperatures (The sony has it - in spades - I don't even take my spare battery, let alone the charger for one week trips. The sanyo is not as good and the Ixus was a disaster)
2) Time from pressing button to exposure being taken - vitally important if you want to capture a moving image with a point-and-shoot camera.
3) Video Capture ability
4) Lens quality
5) Compactness
6) Last and definitely least - Megapixels

best place for info and reviews is steve's digicams
snow conditions
Sony Cybershot DSC W15: 5.1mp, big screen and decent zoom. Tough as old boots that have been clad with iron!! Very Happy Goes in breast pocket

Also, I take my old Canon EOS650 35mm. Again, made to last. Plus, it was the FIRST autofocus camera EVER and is still going strong after 20 years!!! It' a bit heavy though so I may just start using my old 300, which is a bit plasticky but smaller and lighter and not worth anything if I happen to smash it up.
latest report
Quote:

Sony Cybershot DSC W15: 5.1mp

Snap! - Pun fully intended. fast shutter, light on batteries, good recycle time. Main weakness is the indoor shots because the flash is merely OK.
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, phew, Steve gives the camera I've just bought a very good review.
snow conditions
Hurtle, If you want to see what can be achieved using a particular camera then check out www.pbase.com

pbase contains literally tens of thousands of photos posted by the public using their cameras so just do a search for piccys taken with a certain camera to see what can be achieved in the real world under real conditions as opposed to professionally lit scenes.
ski holidays
Specialman wrote:

Also, I take my old Canon EOS650 35mm. Again, made to last. Plus, it was the FIRST autofocus camera EVER and is still going strong after 20 years!!!

The first autofocus camera was made in 1977 by Konica, the C35 a point and shoot. The first autofocus SLR was the Pentax ME-F in 1981. Canon themselves made their first autofocus camera in 1979, the AF35M which took the name Sureshot in the US. By 1985 both Minolta and Nikon had AF SLR's, the Nikon being the classic F-501.

The 650 was just the first EOS and the first Canon AF SLR, released in 1987 timed to coincide with 50th anniversary of the foundation of the company.
ski holidays
ise, evenin' fella. Nice to see you around.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy