Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please help first timers pick a resort

Poster: A snowHead
Hey all,

My husband and I are looking to go skiing in Feb/March 2008 in Austria. I've spent 2 weeks searching websites for an ideal resort for beginners and intermediates.

We're looking for somewhere that has a little bit of nightlife (not clubbibg or anything as such), great snow records as we dont want our first trip to be sat indoors out of the rain with no snow to ski on.

I've been looking at Soll, Saalbach, Sheffau, St Anton etc but i really need your help to find a resort with the following;

Shops (of course!)
good snow reliability
other things to do other than ski, eg. tobogganing etc.
nice snowy easy runs for beginners and intermediates.
and generally a nice atmospheric village that'll make us want to make skiing holidays a regular thing.

Please help, i'll get the sack if i spend much more time umming and ahhing over the amount of choice! Also when is the best time to go? February or March? don't want to get there and find Spring has sprung early.

Many thanks,
Beth x Confused
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Now we're leaning slightly more toward Saalbach (i think Puzzled )

But have no idea when these places have the best snow. Is it best to go in January? or is it like England where you get no snow until March time?

I think i'll need a holiday after all this searching, would be a lot easier if I weren't trying to make it such a great first time skiing holiday Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
EKnight,

Hi welcome to Snowheads!

Does it have to be Austria? If not will broaden the options.

Also if you're planning to go in Feb / early March snow will probably be fairly ok wherever you go. Only the resorts with other things to do tend to be the more "traditional" resorts, which are a bit lower and less snow sure. But in the middle of the season won't be a problem.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd recommend Obergurgl except for the shopping.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi beanie1, thanks for the welcome!

We would really like Austria, I went skiing in Ellmau there about 15 years ago, found Austria wonderful and would love to return to the Country.

What do you think is the 'middle' of the season? we can move our holiday times no problem so Jan/Feb or March, whichever is best.

Of course if you know of somewhere you think may be perfect for us but not in Austria I would like to take a look! Smile

Thanks for your reply Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks ssnowman, i'll have a look at that one too Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Morzine, Wenge, Murren - all pretty, traditional resorts with lots of mountain things to do for non skiers. The snow can be unreliable, but as beginners you don't need many slopes, so there will be somewhere to learn.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks beanie1 will look at those too.

Have you any thoughts on Saalbach?
Is the middle of the ski season January? If so maybe we should go then so we get a good chance of snow
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
EKnight, I have skied in Saalbach in January three times so far, and this month is a little bit risky regarding the snow condition. Apart from reliable snow condition, Saalbach seems to be the best place from your list for an intermediate skier.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks Kerekip, maybe the real snow will fall in Feb instead i wonder
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
EKnight,
Welcome to snowHead 's The season varies from year to year but February and early March are about as reliable a time to go as any. February is usually a bit busier. In Austria watch out for Fasching week as this is very busy indeed.
There are a lot of places that will suit most of your criteria though I am not very conscious of the shopping possibilities. One of the best that I have been to for what you want is Galtur which has a smallish but very pleasant area wiht a really nice variety of skiing. It also has a bit of extra height if it is a poor snow year so is very snow reliable. There are though many other suitable spots.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks T Bar, i'll look at that one too.

When i say shopping i guess i mean a nice little village center with a couple of shops to browse in on an afternoon if we don't fancy skiing.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lech is the best ski resort in Austria. By miles. It is fine for beginners and intermediates. It has an excellent snow record. Plenty of upscale shopping, eating and drinking. Avoid staying in St Anton -- its faux-macho vibe is a bit tiresome.

Next comes Kitzbuehel. Nice atmosphere. Good skiing for first-timers and intermediates. But it has a weak snow record.

Saalbach is a good resort. The skiing is fun. Reasonable snow record. Everything is covered by snowguns. However, the downmarket nightlife can grate at times.

Any of the above three will meet your needs. Provided you go in Feb, not Mar, the snow should be fine everywhere. Lech should be top of the list.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Whitegold, will look at Lech now.

Thomsonski aren't covering any of the resorts mentioned though Sad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
EKnight wrote:
Thomsonski aren't covering any of the resorts mentioned though Sad

welcome to snowHeads..... other Tour Operators are available. are you wedded to going Thomson?
snow report
EK - St Anton is not suitable for beginners. I would suggest either Zell am See or Kitzbuhel. They both are big enough towns for shopping pretty, Kitzbuhel great for intermediates, good enough value and beautiful. Zell has the snowsure Kaprun glacier if the snow is poor.

For Kitz and Zell March maybe too late. Mid Feb would be best
ski holidays
EKnight,

Soll is very good for beginners...the resort is set-up for this and they have many like minded people. The nightlife might be a bit young-ish but the bars are lively.
The nursey slope and lifts are a bit of a walk for someone not used to travelling with all the stuff...ie , boots, skis, poles etc and the lessons are generally at resort level at 1000m which means the worst of the snow. Should expect sun and snow at that time of the year.

Saalbach is a more compact resort if in Saalbach itself.... still nice cruisey runs and decent oompah bars just off the slope...its might mean you have to ski home drunk...!!!!! Another good choice and the hotels are comfy generally

St A is wasted on beginners though it is a world class resort

Here is an option..... try the MSB at Wengen in Switzerland..where you will have plenty/plenty of advice and company on tap.. And Wengen is as picturesque as it gets.. Interlaken is a ride down the valley for shops...
Should be plenty of snowHead who can keep you entertained and on the straight and narrow.....almost... should be a blinding introduction....!!!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 27-08-07 11:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
EKnight, don't forget that yet another factor to think about is quality of tuition which, as much as anything, will make or break your first holiday. People here will generally advise private lessons, which would be good if you can afford it (more affordable with two people). Yet another thing is the dreaded school holidays. I would strongly advise the first week in February (unless that's Fasching, don't know when that is) as the snow cover should be reliable by then and half term hols don't start till the following week.

You need to be aware that the nice villagey villages (as opposed to ski stations) are generally down in valleys, and that will mean travelling to the slopes, to a greater or lesser extent. If you want to ski "out of the door" you'll have to sacrifice something and decide what is most important for you. Unless you are relatively fit and strong you'll not want to walk too far in ski boots, carrying skis. Be aware that even in a suitable resort some accommodation will be inconvenient for lifts and buses. Don't be put off by buses though - a bus that stops outside your door and runs reliably is probably better than a ten minute hike in boots. Don't go to St Anton - I agree with the comments above.

I also agree that Lech is the ideal place. I've never been there, mind, because I couldn't afford it with a family, but I've read a lot about it and it sounds brilliant. I did a ski course in Tignes where one of my fellow pupils was a long time skier who raved about Lech. And he'd been everwhere. For your first holiday perhaps you should push the boat out, to reduce the risk of not being hooked for life. A station where beginner lessons are held up the mountain is great - you get more of a feel for the whole thing, and you don't have to wade around in slush.

Several operators/chalet outfits do all in holidays which include tuition, and they organise it all.
latest report
one such is Simon Butler http://www.simonbutlerskiing.co.uk. I have no connection with them, but I know Megeve well and their formula is a good one, which takes some of the worry away from you. Megeve is hardly a village, but a sophisticated little town with lovely (and expensive) shops, horse drawn sleighs and plenty to do and a pedestrianised centre oozing with nice places for apres ski. It's low; resort level snow is certainly not guaranteed (but it isn't in the low Austrian resorts either) but there should be no problem with snow on the mountains in early February, and the scenery is superlative. Lots of gentle, well groomed, skiing. No tough skiing, which means no tough skiers, no boy racers, no hooligans.
snow conditions
EKnight, There is so much thoughful advice on here, but I will add my two-pennyworth.

Saalbach is great for intermediates, but I would suggest it gets a bit too steep too quickly for beginners. Added to this, the nursery slopes are at the bottom and you don't get to go up the mountain to the action very quickly. For this reason, I would suggest Kitzbuhel, where you start on the Horn, which is a beautiful high snowy and sunny bowl.

At the times you are suggesting, you would be very unlucky indeed to be short of snow anywhere in Austria.

I recommended Kitz to my local Thomas Cook manager (possibly by now a snowHead) Kate, and she loved every bit of it and is going to Zell for year 2 (also my suggestion). Both Kitz and Zell are beautiful little towns with lots of shops and activities.

Both places are ski towns and, of course, you have the cachet of the Kitz downhill. You can watch it on TV and say "I have skied there!"

The point about the tuition is a good one. I suggest you check for views onthe ski school, but of course, that often depends on the individual instructor.

Best of luck, but you are unlikely to go far wrong.

snowHead
snow report
Thanks for all the information everyone! Very Happy

Loads of people have mentioned Kitz, I've just looked at that one too but it seems at very low altitude, even lower than Saalbach so had originally discounted that one as i thought the higher you go the better Puzzled

That and the fact that it doesn't appear to have any tobogganing fun like the others for the days we're not skiing Sad
snow conditions
We learnt to ski in Westendorf and really enjoyed it. The village is only at 800m but if you go at the beginning of Feb, then there's usually good snow (usual caveats apply) - it often has better snow than the rest of the SkiWelt (Ellmau, Soll etc) allegedly. The village is small and beautiful with a wonderful atmosphere. If you fly into Innsbruck, the transfer is usually less than an hour.

We had group lessons with Ski School Westendorf (the 'Reds') and they were great fun. We may not have learnt as much as if we'd had private lessons but the camaraderie made it a real experience, and it gives you a chance to have a rest, while someone else is being told to "lean out!" The nursery slope is very handy to the village centre, and you can generally ski down from the top of the mountain by the end of your first weeks' skiing - a feeling of real achievement. The mountain restaurants are very good and relatively cheap, as are the ones in the village.

At the end of the day, you can go tobogganing from the top of the mountain - the track goes down to an inn where you can have a drink while you wait for the taxi or bus - the tourist office organises groups if you don't know the area - you just pay a few euros for the hire of the toboggan and the tourist officer guides you down the mountain. Wonderful fun.
snow conditions
P.S tobogganing is more dangerous than skiing, IMV
latest report
EKnight, I visited Saalbach in January this year and with both Saalbach and the nearby Hinterglemm there is an excellent choice of pistes for all levels. Both of the villages are nice looking and offer some Austrian charm (without being picture postcard). Snow record is reasonably good, but less so in January, and one benefit is that it doesn't need a huge dump to open up most of the resort. I know I will get shot down for saying this as "snow history is not a brilliant indication of snow future" but www.skiclub.co.uk gives the average snow levels for each resort by month in 06/07.
snow report
Thanks Ski-finder, do you know of a similar site i can see that information on without having to pay £16 to become a member?
ski holidays
EKnight, you just need to be a "Registered user" to get the 06/07 figures, and this is free (link below). You only need to be a full paying member to get the historic figures (01-06), however these figures are available at www.igluski.com/viewSnowHistory.cfm and available without registering at all.

Hope this helps.

Registration: http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/registeredusers/registration/register.asp?strFeature=&strRedirectPage=%2Fskiclub%2Freports%2Fdefault%2Easp
ski holidays
Quote:

I would suggest either Zell am See or Kitzbuhel

A few years ago we went to Zell in January as a mixed group of beginners and intermediates and it was great. Lots to do including nice shops, a very long toboggan run and evening snowboard taster sessions (with Gluwein). Glacier at Kaprun means snowsure and tuition is the best I've come across.

Only complaint, we went with Crystal and they were crapp
ski holidays
If you are worried about snow levels at Kitz then I suggest Zell has what you want. Apart from that, you are only 30 mins away from Saalbach by bus or taxi so you could try it from Zell. (I think the timetables are available on the net. You want the post-bus one. A taxi from Zell to Saalbach cost us €30 last season as I recall) Come to that Kitzbuhel is only about an hour away by train.

Don't be fooled by the altitude thing. As has been said many times on here, the high resorts need more snow to cover the rocks. 20cm over the grasslands of Austrian pistes is usually enough. Easterliness is also a factor. Early snow in Austria tends to come from Russia. The only downside to March in Austria might be icyness lower down, but that can happen anywhere too.

snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Train from Zell to Saalfelden (10 mins) would also allow you to ski over to Saalbach (it's part of the same ski area).
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, Good idea. Presumably you take the gondola up from there and end up by the new "old Mill" (I know) place. There is some very nice easy blue stuff up there with gondola down if needed.

snowHead
latest report
JT wrote:
Here is an option..... try the MSB at Wengen in Switzerland..where you will have plenty/plenty of advice and company on tap.. And Wengen is as picturesque as it gets.. Interlaken is a ride down the valley for shops...

Great idea!

Quote:
Should be plenty of snowHead who can keep you entertained and on the straight and narrow.....almost... should be a blinding introduction....!!!

Ahem! Straight and narrow??! Wink But the company would be great and an excellent way to enjoy a first ski holiday

BTW Fasching is the week of 2 Feb
snow conditions
i went to soll last season and didnt think it would be much cop for beginners - it depends how quickly you progress but its not that easy to get around the various ski areas without navigating a tricky bit
snow report
EKnight, Welcome to Snowheads! snowHead I can well understand your preference for Austria - I learnt to ski there, and the ambience of the pretty villages takes some beating (although some Swiss resorts eg Wengen & Murren can be equally attractive!). As others have said, going in Feb/March you stand the best chance of good snow, and because most Austrian pistes are on the grass covered alpine meadows, you don't need as much snow cover as for rockier ground in some other resorts. A useful site for info on Austria is tiscover - just type in the resort of interest.

I would say that two of the most popular Austrian resorts for beginners are Alpbach and Westendorf. I learnt to ski in Alpbach, and it's a beautiful village (its been voted the prettiest village in Austria, but I believe Westendorf also claim this Toofy Grin ). I visited Westendorf a few years later. Both Alpbach and Westendorf have their nursery slopes right in the centre of the village so dead easy to get to in what can be (to the beginner) awkward boots. By the way if you find the original hire boots are uncomfortable/painful go back to the rental shop to get some others! Both resorts have several bars, but you will find more shops etc in Westendorf. Westendorf has a (9pin) bowling alley, I believe the adjacent village to Alpbach (Reith) also has one. From Westendorf you can easily visit Kitzbuhel by bus or train. Kitzbuhel of course would also be suitable for you, being a larger town it's got much more shops (it even has a Casino!). Also the lift pass gives you a discounted entry to the Aquarena Swimming Pool complex, which has a nice pool with water jets etc - ideal for massaging tired muscles! Toofy Grin
As regards tobogganing, Alpbach, Westendorf, and Kitzbuhel all seem to have facilities.
snow report
Just a few things about Zell for you: For beginners it's great as there are nursery slopes at village height, so no lifts to contend with on the first day, plus there's enough to keep intermediates happy as well. Kaprun and Saalbach are both close enough to get to easily. Kaprun (Kitzsteinhorn glacier) is covered on the same lift pass and there's a free ski bus, or you can get an extended pass to cover Saalbach and many other resorts. The ski schools are very good with (often) exclusively english-speaking groups. For beginners Zell is great as there's lots to do in the town aside from skiing. I adore skiing in Saalbach, but I don't think it's the best place for beginners, plus the village doesn't have much to offer aside from Apres Ski. There's tons of stuff to do in Zell as it's a "proper" town, not just a resort. As for tobogganing, you can do it in the town itself, but there are also great runs at Bruck and Maria Alm (which are 'safer' in my opinion!), both not too far away. Zell has a good snow record, helped by great snow making early in the season.
ski holidays
Thanks everyone, so many replies and so many great places to go to.

My hubby thought i was panicking about it too much and so just booked us into our first favourite Saalbach. Staying in the Hotel Kristiana for 7 nights beginning on the 2nd February.

Well although i'm kind of releived it's done and i don't have to stress over all the different options and worrying about it being perfect, i just hope we've not made a bad mistake and we're not going to be really dissappointed with the choice, which would make this our first and last skiing holiday together Sad

I've looked on many websites and most of them are saying Fasching starts at new year but is mainly in the 3rd week of Feb, the school holiday being the second.

Although Eng_ch has said that it's actually on the 2nd of Feb, I with someone would correct those websites as we based our holiday on that and now we're going the exact week we tried to avoid.

Oh well, might have to stick with summer holidays i think.

JT danger doesn't worry us so that's not a problem regarding the tobogganing
snow conditions
EKnight,
I think sometiomes we can get a bit too worried about what resorts are suitable for beginners, I think if the snow conditions are right and you go with the attitude that you will enjoy it the vast majority of resorts willsuit. Saalbach sounds a great place, I learned at New Year which although in retrospect I would not advise because of the crowds I had a great time. Let us know how you get on and have a great time. snowHead
latest report
Hi EKnight,

In Feb 2006 took my wife and 2 children (then a 10 yr old boy and 5yr old girl) to Soll for our first family ski holiday and we all loved it.

We stayed at the Schindlhaus (check spelling) apartments, very good location in the centre of town but only 5 minute walk to the lifts/nursery area - went with Neilson but others have access to the Schindlhuas appts - very good value, very clean if dated decor, would recommend.

There is a ski hire shop with a storage garage just off the nursery slopes (Neilson used this shop for our pre-paid ski hire stuff) and I would recommend this place simply from the point of view of leaving all your kit there once finished for the day and not lugging your kit around town.

The village is very pretty and there is plenty of nightlife available without being crawling with rowdys - lots of good eateries (mostly hotel restaurants but open to non-residents) and the ski-ing was good. The Schindlhaus Restaurant (part of the same complex as the appts) is apparently a superb restaurant, michelin starred I think, we didn't try as we had the kids and went for hearty, traditional fare instead.

It is quite low but at that time of year you should be fine with the snow. I had ski'd before but my wife and 2 kids were 1st timers and they managed fine at Soll.

Have a great time wherever you go !
latest report
EKnight, I was wondering if you had decided yet. Saalbach is definitely one of the best resorts I have been to and I am sure you will have a great time. The run down to the town is a pleasant blue and an all-time favourite for us. (Run 46 on the piste map.) There are plenty of nice places to eat on the mountain, and the schirm bars are a lot of fun. If you haven't skied Austria before I have to warn you that it is almost impossible to get off the piste without going through a schirm (umbrella) bar.

You mentioned having intermediates in your party. I think they will enjoy the possibilties. The 7Km run number 2 is also a classic. As is the run down to Leogang. Wonderful prospects....

snowHead
snow report
EKnight,

The Kristianna is a really nice hotel at the top of Saalbach... the walk to the main lifts is not too far (200 mtrs max, IIRC )and you are staying this side of the valley.

The walk down the main st isn't far at night either.
latest report
EKnight, Fasching (Fasnacht in Switzerland, Karnival in Northern Germany, mardi gras in France and New Orleans etc.) is basically Shrove Tuesday which means it's a movable feast since it's dependent on when Easter is. Hence it's really early in 2008.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy