Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does SnowHeads make you delusional about your own skiing ability....

Poster: A snowHead
I found Snowheads about this time last year and at the time had always considered myself a pretty average skier who was fortunate to get out with some pretty good skiers and was trying to improve....

When I tentatively made my first few posts I was very careful not to come across as a know it all, or sounding better than my limited abilities. A year later I now find myself making grand sweeping statements about gear, technique, resorts, instruction, etc.......

Does repeated posting on snowHead somehow make you THINK you are a better skier than when before you started discussing skiing so much......
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimottaret, On the contrary... Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I get worse, not sure why, but my teeth get longer so 'Kif Kif'. Plus the fact i was always the best skier on here anyway, 'Bell' included. God i'm funny. Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hurtle, I'm tired and a bit thick expand please......
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret,
Quote:

Does repeated posting on somehow make you THINK you are a better skier than when before you started discussing skiing so much......

It makes me think I am a WORSE skier than before.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER,
Quote:

I get worse, not sure why, but my teeth get longer

Me too, except that as of about 2 hours ago, one of my teeth got slightly shorter. Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle wrote:
skimottaret,
Quote:

Does repeated posting on somehow make you THINK you are a better skier than when before you started discussing skiing so much......

It makes me think I am a WORSE skier than before.

Ahhh yes but you are still sensible and not deluding yourself about your own abilities. You are comparing yourself to peeps who have crossed the dark side of snowheads... you are still in the early stages when you feel inferior due to so much b*lls**t flying around you.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret,
Quote:
so much b*lls**t flying around you
You could say that, but I couldn't possibly comment. wink wink
ski holidays
 brian
brian
I'm with Hurtle, and I've been knocking about here for years. When I actually go skiing I feel ok but reading Bend ze Knees frequently leaves me thinking I haven't a clue. Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowheads has kind of inspired me to improve my skiing by showing me there is more out there than I realised. Things like the La Grave threads, the recent heli skiing in NZ, The summer ski touring threads (im afraid I cant remember the authors name but always interesting). DGorfs fitness thread in apres was also a component in kicking my behind to start sorting out my own fitness.

Had some usefull fitness info from BZK and had hoped to get some good pointers on technique to but I am afraid my eyes tend to glaze over with some of the techno speak. I guess I am better doing practical than studying theory as I found out in the past. Guess this will be one of the few threads in here I'd feal comfortable comenting in.

One thing BZK is good for though is a good fight every week. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm another one who doubts my abilities after reading stuff here. It's not so much an issue now as I think I've got a realistic view of what I'm good at and what I'm not very good at, but I used to have a massive inferiority complex Embarassed But having said that contributing here has provided a lot of encouragement and support to improve.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I suspect that for the majority of the regulars here, there are many levels of skiing above our own and a fair few below. Because the levels below are more populated than those above, I reckon we're above average, on the whole. Of course, there are exceptions at either end of the spectrum!

One of the benefits of reading this forum is that it can inspire us to reach levels to which we can reasonably aspire.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have no doubts about my own inabilities - & the more I read on BZK, the more I realise I have still to learn Toofy Grin

I think its realistic to set your own goal - I am a social skiier & my aim is to be a safe skiier & happy with whatever situation I find myself in - however, there are situations I simply wont put myself in snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm certainly not saying that I haven't learned a huge amount, or that I haven't been inspired to improve. (That's a lot of negatives. Ed. Embarassed ) As in any field of endeavour, the day you think you know it all, or that you can't be bothered to try and learn some more, is a sad day and can be a dangerous one. All I'm saying is that I sometimes feel discouraged by some of the real experts - I have made no secret of the exceptions to that - and by many of the armchair experts and that, overall, I feel like a worse skier than when I started. But the latter is absolutely no bad thing, it will inspire me to greater heights. It's interesting that, for the first time ever - since doing a whole season many moons ago, at which point I was a complete beginner - I am going to be skiing for three weeks this season: that's partly due to having a new-found freedom to do that but I think that the 'snowHead effect' has also played a large part in firing my enthusiasm.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hmmmmm.... how do you see yourself out on the hill? In the average places you'll see your level and be able to gauge it.
It might be a another benchmark to say what you are prepared to try than what you can actually do.
And anyone may be able to ski down this pitch or than pitch in good conditions, it is when it gets difficult that that shows up the levels better, maybe.

Most people I ski with don't try and sell themselves as they know what can bite them.
But I think it is very easy to appear here above your level and it is only when you meet up that you can get a perspective.

If you can use this place as a inspiration and push on, then good.
It is funny though,I think you can get a very good idea of what is what here by the posts....there has only been a couple of times when you get it completely wrong...Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Oh, I forgot to say - there are always know-alls about in life, though they tend soon get unmasked, at least in the real world. I do need to remind myself sometimes that, on the law of averages, there must be a fair few people on here who profess to know more than they actually do and that I shouldn't be discouraged by them. I don't profess to have the sophisiticated antennae of JT for such snowHeads, however - but I have my suspicions. Some of the comments on the last EOSB races were quite an eye-opener! wink

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 25-09-07 8:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
..... it will inspire me to greater heights.

Hence the Nepal trip?? snowHead
snow report
geri, I don't think I'll be skiing down Everest quite yet!
snow report
Quote:

hmmmmm.... how do you see yourself out on the hill?

Thats part of the problem in that is has been so long i forgot what it is like Laughing

Quote:

But I think it is very easy to appear here above your level

Thats what scares me, I absolutely dont want to come across as someone who talks a good game. After months of summer postes about technique, etc I went to my local dry slope to have a bash at racing, full of thoughts about how to do it properly and had a picture in my mind how i would get on. The reality was that i was awful and brought into focus that i need to reign in my comments a bit Laughing
snow report
Hurtle,

Hopefully, that didn't come across as too sniffy Laughing FWIW, I know what I can do and like to ski with like-minded people but you only have to keep your eyes open in some places to realise that even though skiing is largely about the number of hours you put in doing specific stuff..and that does not always translate that well in all situations that some people are just more talented and you can never get near them.
Personally, I think it is a holiday and you get your thrills the way that it suits you. Not everyone can or wants to afford to spend a lifetime devoted to it. There are other things in life as well. Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
skimottaret,
Yep, spend all year here and then we start to plan the season around about this time..get on the hill and then think, what sort of crap skiing was that....!!!!

Hopefully, this year will be better than last...otherwise, I will be depressed.....
ski holidays
I think there are bits of Bend Ze Knees that refer to skiing above a level to which I aspire which does not really bother me. The thing that frightens me is that reading BZK I frequently doubt my ability to read and comprehend written English. Puzzled
latest report
T Bar, I'm glad you cleared up the BZK thing i thought we'd got another bandwagon jumper in our midst. Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, in terms of SZK, NZK etc have to admit i thought that as well on the first post refering to fitness tips... Laughing
snow conditions
skimottaret, NZK is a fraud, a low down, no good, monkey worrier. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I've long known that my only role here is as the benchmark by which all can know there are worse skiers around!

I've been trying to read and digest (some of) the stuff on Bend Ze Knees for over 3 years. It is incomprehensible !!

Each to their own but any instructor/trainer/skiing partner coming out with some of that garbo-gabble would have to be dumped.

It used to make me feel inferior, but when I appreciated ( having been told by others) that it was no more than drivel dressed up as knowledge I felt a lot better. There is, of course, some excellent stuff written by excellent skiers/boarders --- alas, differentiation (for me) remains a problem Embarassed
ski holidays
But are SZK,LZK or NZK up for a good ding dong as much as BZK every week though
ski holidays
Gilberts Fridge, Smash Zee Knees, Lean Zee Knees, Nobble Zee Knees?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I knew they were just a cover, shouldn't the last one be Nicey Ze Knees though
ski holidays
Gilberts Fridge, No, he was conceived at the French version of Butlins.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, If we're gonna start talking about knees we should probably mention that yours look like they've been borrowed from an albino. Pale doesn't even come close.....
ski holidays
Gilberts Fridge,
Quote:

But are SZK,LZK or NZK up for a good ding dong as much as BZK every week though

Mate, you should spend a day in the shop when myself and SZK are working together. It gets personal......
latest report
NAKEDZOOKEEPER, Personal like 'Sitting on my shoulder'? Cool
snow conditions
NAKEDZOOKEEPER, The colour of my legs is for research purposes, their 'Translucent' nature helps me understand the internal workings of the lower leg, however if my research turns to foot fungus, i'll give you a call. NehNeh
snow conditions
Agenterre wrote:
I've long known that my only role here is as the benchmark by which all can know there are worse skiers around!

Worse is a comparative term though (and anyway you're not as bad as you make out), pre-SH I was the big fish in my little pond simply because I'd got 2 weeks more skiing experience than them (and when that's 2 weeks compared to 0 weeks it's a big difference). I'd see people each trip zooming by me with apparant ease and I'd happily write them off as folk who had grown up on skis and weren't just holiday skiers like myself so were therefore not a fair comparison.

The first SH trip I went on really opened my eyes to the fact that in that pond I was a mere tiddler but a decent skiing level was within range if I upped my game and put the hard work & hours in.
8 weeks (+ some snowdome time) later I'm now skiing at a level I never thought I'd be able to but still know there's a heck of a lot more left to learn.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I was referring to when you have to resort to personal insults after my far more advanced wit and linguistic talents leaves you all flustered and confused.

Anyway, why aren't you out mountainbiking with your new spanky X-0 shifter? Twisted Evil
latest report
Interesting thread this (when it's on topic rolling eyes )
I once suggested in BZK that if a skier was happy to be a holiday skier then whats wrong with that Shocked I quickly came to the conclusion that BZK was not a good place for me to be posting Laughing
snow report
NAKEDZOOKEEPER, It's snowing. And i'm using the 'net to improve my art collection.
snow report
FenlandSkier, Yep , I agree wink Perhaps I should go and look for a smaller pond.
You 've only been skiing for 8 weeks ??? ... blimey, hope for me then !

Someone suggested here ,iirc, that you have to ski for about 6 -8 weeks (??) before you know how much that you still have to learn ! I confess that I actually said to my Better Half ... after 2 -3 weeks of learning to ski (skiing I called it!) ... " But what is there left for me to learn now ? " .... I actually believed that ! Embarassed
snow report
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy