Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to do my first season ????

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Where would you go if you only had one chance at doing a season ?

I'm looking to get away to do my first season - 2008.

I've got a 6 month sabbatical from work and plan on just going to play - no work.

Good snow, good nightlife, and the price of beer is not extortionate ?

Canada - Europe or wait to the summer and head to New Zealand or Argentina.

From what i've read Whistler seems like it has it all.

I need to get my ass in gear and get planning, any help would be welcome.

Cheers Wal.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't help I am too jealous. Actually its worse, its resentment, I won't help.

ahhh...feel better now Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wallas, I'm in the same boat, although I'm sort of limited to Europe for a couple of logistical reasons. Off to France later today to have a look at a couple of resorts and maybe try to sort out accommodation for the season, but I do feel a bit like a kid in a sweet shop, as I'm totally spoilt for choice.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Park City, Utah.

I would go to Japan. But that's because I live in the US and can go to Utah any time. Whether you want to spend 6 months in a country you don't speak the language is...an individual thing though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'll second Japan, specifically the area I'm living - Niseko Resort Area, Hokkaido.

Meets or exceeds your criteria with the exception of it not being in Europe or the Americas.

For N America Utah, Colorado and INTERIOR BC fit the bill. Choose a mountain and there'll be plenty of variety nearby.

If you can wait, then 6 months in Argentina and Chile would be an amazing experience.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you want to be in France, I would suggest staying in a 'real' town like Bourg st Maurice and then 'commuting' to the slopes. Bourg is connected to Les Arcs directly by a funicular and that then gives immediate access to all of Paradiski. Within a short drive are (in no particular order) La Plagne, La Rosiere Tignes, Val d Isere, St Foy a longer drive brings in The 3 Valleys and of course potential for overnights in other resorts. Others will correct me but the drive around to the Chamonix valley would be around 1or2 hour mark.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Im going to tignes to do a season this yr,went there last yr 4 a hol and had a wicked time. the snow is great and the nightlife even better. u going alone?? rolling eyes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
smallclaire wrote:
Im going to tignes to do a season this yr,went there last yr 4 a hol and had a wicked time. the snow is great and the nightlife even better. u going alone?? rolling eyes

See you in the Jam Bar.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
wallas, If you're just going to play it almost doesn't matter where you go. Tour around. Unless you also want to meet new friends and influence people. It's a cracking opportunity to see and ski lots and lots of places. Accommodation need not be expensive.

Have a week each in:

Chamonix valley
VdI/Tignes/St Foy
Les Arcs/Plagne
Aravis
PDS
I don't know Austria but would imagine there's a good few weeks there
Do the Inferno & a week in Muerren/etc.
Aosta Valley
Verbier
St Moritz
St Anton
Cortina (probably best tacked on to Austria)
Utah
Wyoming
Montana
Whistler
Heliskiing (anywhere)
Colorado
Tahoe
Idaho

I think I've run out of season...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheers folks for your replies. I really fancy going to Argentina, i like the idea of learning Spanish and living somewhere totally different but i can't wait till next summer !!

Europe - no. I need to travel further afield.

Canada - is gonna probably be the one.

Japan - i'd love to go, the people are great, i met loads of Japanese surfers when i lived in Sydney.
I'm thinking maybe if at all possible financially to spend 3/4 weeks in Japan beginning of Jan then move on to Canadar for the rest of the season.

I haven't looked into it yet but does anyone think it would cost a fortune, flights hotels etc ?

Mmmmmmmm decisions.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Going first east then west will cost you!

Sounds like you like to travel though. I'd simply base out of Japan and ski to your heart's content. Then do some touring of that side of the globe in spring, not neccessarily skiing.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you do decice on Whistler, here's a post I wrote for another place, could be useful:

+++++++++++++++

The best bit of advice I can give you, is to sort out your accommodation NOW!! Yes, I know it's August, but Whistler and Accommondation are not the best of bed buddies!

If budget is not a consideration, stay at the Four Seasons Resort, where you'll not want for anything. Thoroughly reccommended.

Remember to factor in sales tax (not displayed in the price) and tipping for everybody/everything.

The first place to look for accommodation is the weekly local magazine, the Pique News Magazine. All the local rentals and property advertised here. Bear in mind that rent is proportional to area and neighbourhood, so avoid the really central areas (eg: village, upper village etc.) and head out somewhere like Creekside, Whistler Cay, Brio, Apline Meadows etc. Basically, anywhere that is served by the excellent local bus service. If you don't know where all these neighbourhoods are, here's a map to help.

Don't forget comprehensive travel insurance for your trip, one of the best policies for UK folk is from The BMC.

Two links below that are well worth your time reading and digesting, although they are a couple of seasons old (so references to The Shoestring Lodge and The Boot Inn are no longer relevant) - they are still worth digesting.

Survival Guide

Snow is Cold blog

Many people on holiday find their accommodation through Allura Direct, the local Tourist Office website, and the official WB website (a good resource).

Finally, two links about tipping!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tip
http://www.findalink.net/tippingetiquette.php

Now. How about some lessons? Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
wallas, Argentina, yes do it, incredibly friendly people with a really nice attitude to life. I only skied San Carlos de Bariloche and found it reminded me of Scottish skiing, (and before I get flamed) it was September 1976 Blush
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
veeeight, I can't see on your Tipping Etiquette link how much to tip ski instructors Confused Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Many have suggested North America... just a thought but isn't a visitor visa only for 3 months? I'm sure there's a way round it but tis a consideration.

Personally I'd head for Europe anyway as I can already state for certain that it is going to be an epic winter wink . St Anton (if you can get accommo) or one of the usual suspects named above. One small (or maybe not so small) advantage is transferable NHS... and proper beer.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy