Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking Skis on Trains

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know the best place to store skis whilst travelling on a train (Transpenine Express: Doncaster - Manchester Airport)?

I know the standard racks for luggage are unsuitable for anything other than a suitcase so any advice would be appreciated.

Ive tried contacting the company directly but to no avail.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Overhead racks lying down??
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In my experience there is never enough room on the racks for all the cases plus the skis and the skis usually end up in the corridor. Except on the ski train (run by the tour companies) who usually (at least long ago when I used to go on it) put aside a compartment for the extra luggage.

Edit: sorry, didn't read your question properly - I was talking about France etc.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 22-08-07 9:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've done a lot of travelling on trains with skis, and in the UK the best place is on the overhead rack - perfect! In Europe there is normally space in the luggage bits as they're designed for skis.

I've never had any probs taking skis on trains here or abroad, no one will question you.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
beanie1, me2.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My main concern is always someone swiping them if i'm sat further down the carriage!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Overhead racks if possible - snuggled in upright next to you if not. Not recommended - trying to squeeze a wheelie bag onto an overcrowded Thameslink with you in Friday rushhour crowds but it is a necessity sometimes. wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've carried skis through rush hour tubes and trains in the UK without problems. Just have no shame, and be selective about whose heads you take off as you work your way through the crowds! Lying down on the floor, on the luggage racks, or standing up at the end of the carriage are all perfectly acceptable Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Knight, I went on the Transpennine express last month to Mcr airport and you could barely get a normal bag in the overhead rack. You should be OK to put the skibag in the area between the carriages though. I've got to go there next week with a ski bag and may end up going on the train so if I do I'll let you know how it worked out
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I try to remember to take a bungee cord and strap them up vertically to a post - there's usually one there somewhere.

Do make sure you start unstrapping them nice and early though...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've walked across Euston station concourse at 6.30 from train to tube with skis on my shoulder - just as the next train to Manchester was announced! Was nearly mobbed - these people had no concern for their own or anyone else's safety as they all crashed into my skis!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not sure about the transpennine express but I've taken skis on Virgin trains from the midlands to London in the past. They fit nicely in the overhead racks if the trains are quiet. Otherwise they have a big space in every other carriage for bicycles...just stand them on end there and sit where you can see them. easy really.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I regularly carry a skibag on the train. If I'm getting on at or close to the station from which the train starts I can usually get the bag on the overhead racks. If I'm picking up the train when its already busy that option is usually out. I can often manage to stand it up in front of the luggage racks at the end of the carraige - wrap the carry handle/shoulder strap around an upright to stop it falling over. Some trains I've been able to stand it up behind a seat near the luggage racks. Once they have even asked me to put it in the luggage compartment on the gaurds van togetther with my large rucksac.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the replies people - the train starts at Cleethorpes so the overheads will unfortunately be full so il have to try the bungee cord idea - thanks again!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Overhead racks are the best bet. Don't worry about crowds, I've found ski kit very useful on rush hour tubes! Twisted Evil
snow report
PhillipStanton, good tip on the bungy cord
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
PhillipStanton, good tip on the bungy cord

Why thank-you.

Do, as I said, start getting off early though - I once nearly didn't make it off the train in time.
snow report
Hauled my skis and my partners in one bag with wheels around N. Italy and used the straps to clip them standing up to the lugage racks on the different trains, no problem there just the before mentioned fools who appear not to see six feet of ski bag sticking out while you walk through the stations.
latest report
Quote:

Hauled my skis and my partners in one bag with wheels around N. Italy

You must be one strong guy, pinhead. How many partners did you manage to get in the one bag?
latest report
pam w, where's Hurtle when she's needed to sort a possesive apostrophe?
latest report
Here! Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy