Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3 Peaks Challenge

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Hope everyone is having a nice summer Shock)

I'm hoping to complete the 3 peaks challenge in September, which for those not in the know, involves climbing and descending the 3 highest peaks in Scotland (Ben Nevis), England (Scafell Pike) and Wales (Snowdon).

Has anyone any experience of this challenge, and able to give some tips on training, equipment etc

Many thanks

Kartman (Steve)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Check the opening times off the gondola at the nevis range for opening times Toofy Grin NehNeh

Sorry no experience of the challenege sounds good though, would be interested maybe next year!

Good luck
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kartman, Good luck, I have done Snowdon often, its pretty easy as long as the weather does not get to bad. Scafell is harder and personally I think the weather is more unpredictable.
Never done ben nevis- I really need to make the time to get it done.

As for the challenge it all depends on your time limit. The best practice is walking lots of hills, get use to going uphill and down(it's the downs that do your knees in) with a bit of kit on your back.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 20-08-07 21:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Liam wrote:
Check the opening times off the gondola at the nevis range for opening times Toofy Grin NehNeh

and don't forget to check if the Festiniog railway is in steam!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not done the 3 Peaks, but there saw a few teams attempting it at the weekend.

IMO, Ben Nevis is the killer. It is a long way up and a long way down. After that, it gets easier, although you'll be more tired/aching. Get a good supply of compeed and several pairs of socks. Make sure you have a good headtorch, spare batteries and spare bulb. Also, remember that the temperature at the top of Ben Nevis is likely to be around 9C lower than in Glen Nevis car park.....so take a spare jumper. Also, make sure you have a map and compass. Navigating off the top of the Ben is "interesting" is visibility is zero!

Don't forget to report back on your trip!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Good luck on the challenge Kartman, walking poles can prove useful, small light pack with the essentials in - leave the rest of the gear with the car/vehicle. Make sure you have good drivers who arent doing the challenge and comfy vehicles.

Plan your driving route with care and check for traffic problems ( if you re planning it under 24hrs ) and get some sleep when travelling . Best time of year to do it is really May and June as you tend to get more daylight. Friends did it in June a couple of years ago and were htiing snowdon in the early hours still with twilight Smile

Have skied with another friend who did it in 28 hrs - starting and finishing in Penrith, following the usual routine of Ben Nevis, Scarfell then Snowdon.

As others have mentioned plenty of training with uphill and descents included - if you can go try a dry run on one of the mountains.

Best of luck and dont forget to report back Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kartman, suggest dropping Mosha Marc a line as he did something similar ealier this year - don't think it was the 3 Peaks but it was something like 20 hours non stop.

Edit: Found the post - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=26231&highlight=
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have a backup team to handle the driving between mountains whilst you sleep!
latest report
 brian
brian
Liam wrote:

Unfortunately the gondola goes up Aonach Mor, Ben Nevis' neighbour, rather than the Ben itself.

My tips would be

- keep yourself hydrated and fuelled. Energy drinks and bars.
- layer up with wicking base layer, remember it could easily snow on top of the Ben in September.
- if your pack isn't waterproof, line it with poly bag.
- take plenty of dry clothes, you could be looking at 3 drenchings.

Good luck !
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Excellent advice from Elizabeth and Brian.

I've done it twice, once on Rag Day March 1985 when I recall we started decending into five finger gulley on the ben and one of the party got hypothermia and we had to call out the MRT etc etc. Eventually finished it , but not in 24 hrs !

Second time wasn't a problem, but its mainly about driving.

A Greener alternative might be the proper 3 Peaks here in the Dales or the 15 peaks in Snowdonia - now thats a real challenge ! snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scafell is the harder of the thre IMO. Agree with what supernaut, says and get others to do the driving. Good luck.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the cynic might say the challenge is all about how fast you dare to drive on the M6
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

the cynic might say the challenge is all about how fast you dare to drive on the M6

Ohh yes! Luckily when I did it sme years ago now we had a very good team of drivers, armed with supplies of food and hot tea before bundling us back in the wagon.

My top tip.. dont try and fit too many in the vehicles. We had a ford transit crew bus with too many bods squeezed in the back. After completing scaffel in quick time we soon realised having our knees up round our necks did nothing to help the cramp suffered on the way to Snowdon. Shocked

Also, travel light but please dont skip the essentials. We were slowed halfway up Scafell by having to rescue some very poorly prepared chumps suffering mild hypothermia. I may be preaching to the converted but you may very well need to micro navigate to find the very top of Scaffell and to a lesser extent the Ben. Map compass and the knowledge to use them essential. ( although these days everyone just sems to use GPS Sad )

We finished with Snowdon in the dark and prety poor vis. The top was found safely by switching from the path to follow the railway tracks!

Hope you enjoy ( I seem to recall it being more of an achievement than an enjoyable day out!)

PS Time to beat 22hrs 42 minutes! - 1st Shevington Venture Scouts rock!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy