Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

wristguards - Flexmeter vs Biomex, any opinions

Poster: A snowHead
Preferably informed opinions from people who've used them - don't need to see posts along the lines of 'wristguards are rubbish, don't bother' as I've already heard this point of view and made my mind up about it, thanks.

I need new gloves for this season, planning to get some with built-in protection as dragging gloves on over existing guards is a pain. Choice is between Level with Biomex guard, and Flexmeter's guard/glove combo - tried both and the Flexmeter is much more comfortable/better fitting on me.

Anyone used either or both?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Little Cow uses Level gloves with the Biomex guard. Wrists still intact, as are the gloves. Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If the flexmeter is more comfortable, I'd say go with it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use the Level gloves mentioned above. Found them to be very comfortable.

Haven't had any cause for the wrist protection to be put to work that I can remember. Wrists are still in one piece though Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Any comments regarding whch offers the better protection and why?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard, I would have thought a better fit would be more important, probably in terms of safety too.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lizzard, I won't say don't buy them . . . but learn how to fall as a first priority. Stacking is a 'whole-body' experience and it's not just your wrists that can get f**ked.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque, I have done/am doing that, but I can't guarantee to get it right every single time (can you?). I've seen for myself the incidence of wrist injury amongst my snowboarding staff/schoolkids and I prefer not to take the chance. Working for peanuts and boarding a lot is an acceptable deal, but working for peanuts and sitting around all season with a snapped-off hand most certainly isn't.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lizzard, Many years on a trampoline and gymnastics has granted me a (now fading) sense of 'spacial awareness' that allows me to still bounce off the hard-pack, even at my advancing age and decrepitude.
Flexibility is more important than fitness . . . things that don't stretch and bend . . . break! Armour is great, but it's also a sinecure.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

a sinecure

An office without work Puzzled

Anyway this is precisely the argument I wasn't about to get into. In the absence of any more useful contributions, I think I'll go with the Flexmeters, just on the grounds of comfort.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard, sorry, I'm in a reflective mood . . . I'm saying that, unlike other items of protection (back and backside), wrist-guards are less value than good training . . . but it you are unwilling to undertake that training, they ARE better than nothing. I agree, It's not an argument, but it can be a discussion. wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque, you could just as well say that the best way for a biker not to become an intimate part of the scenery is defensive riding (and you would be entirely correct). It's not going to persuade me to leave my leathers at home though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Likewise I can't claim to have ever tested my biomex but I can say that Level gloves are extremely good quality, warm and hard wearing.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've not tried Flexmeter, but I'm happy with the comfort of the Biomex/Level gloves, although they are not breathable, as claimed.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard, can you point me in the direction of a shop that sells them? The missus has some Dakine guards but as you say, it's a hassle putting them over her gloves. Would be interested in some myself even.
ski holidays
Specialman, Alpha Sports (Sport 2000) on the Av de la Muzelle in 2Alpes. I'm a size 7 and their size S fits me, if that's any use to you.

PS. If your bird is having problems getting the guards over her gloves, suggest she wears them underneath. Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Lizzard, What doesn't kill you makes you strong, you have to learn to fall sometime wink ditch the guards, unecessary protection gives false security Very Happy
snow conditions
rayscoops, that was a very silly post. I expect to see you boarding naked if that's your opinion.
latest report
Lizzard, actually I used your words/sentiment from another thread wink

"What doesn't kill you makes you strong. You can't spend your entire boarding career avoiding the flat bits so you might as well get to grips with them from the start"
latest report
rayscoops, I'm well aware of that. Hardly the same context though, hmmmm? rolling eyes
latest report
using the danisese ones seems very comfortable they do a glove with the same one built very comfortable glove
ski holidays
Lots of these things appear to use a design that would make holding a ski-pole awkward. Any recommendations for a wrist guard that works ok with poles?
latest report
Howabout inline skating wrist supports?
ski holidays
telford_mike wrote:
Lots of these things appear to use a design that would make holding a ski-pole awkward. Any recommendations for a wrist guard that works ok with poles?

I have my trusty nhs supplied wrist support to wear under my glove, it's not at all awkward holding anything but it does get irritating after a while, need to remove it for about 10 mins every now and again then reapply.
latest report
telford_mike, why would you want to wear wrist guards for skiing? Puzzled
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
telford_mike, why would you want to wear wrist guards for skiing? Puzzled

I worry about my wrists mate - comes from years and years of skiing on plastic slopes I'm afraid. I've read a few medical articles recently which have convinced me that I'm in imminent danger of an awful and debilitating wrist injury. Apparently this risk is not confined to our snowboarding bretheren.

I've broken both of my wrists in the past and it wasn't pleasant - they never seem to work quite as well afterwards despite the physio. Arms, on the other hand, don't seem to be a big problem - they just heal-up and away you go.
snow report
telford_mike, sounds bizarre to me - how many skiers have you seen with wrist injuries? Can't say I know of any whatsoever over the past 11 seasons.

If you're really convinced, the Flexmeter guards run down the back of the hand, leaving the palm unobstructed. However, they (and all the others available) are supposed to protect against a fall onto an open outstretched hand, which seems unlikely to happen to a skier given that he would be clutching a pole at the time.
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
telford_mike...which seems unlikely to happen to a skier given that he would be clutching a pole at the time.

I see your logic. I'm usually clutching something when I crash, that's for sure Blush
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote] - how many skiers have you seen with wrist injuries? Can't say I know of any whatsoever over the past 11 seasons.

Typing this with a short cast on my arm from a broken radius suffered skiing in Utah last week. Found this forum while searching for wrist guards. Just because you have poles in your hand doesn't prevent your closed hand bending backwards. Granted, wrist injuries are more common with snowboarding versus knees with skiing, but stuff happens.
ski holidays
[quote] - how many skiers have you seen with wrist injuries? Can't say I know of any whatsoever over the past 11 seasons.

Typing this with a short cast on my arm from a broken radius suffered skiing in Utah last week. Found this forum while searching for wrist guards. Just because you have poles in your hand doesn't prevent your closed hand bending backwards. Granted, wrist injuries are more common with snowboarding versus knees with skiing, but stuff happens.
ski holidays
Lizzard, Mrs BS has broken both wrists seperately in the past, on discussing guards with the Dr's in Moutier and Salisbury Hospital both said that gloves with built in guards were not much help but better thna nothing.
Following their suggestion she now skis with an NHS wrist guard on each wrist. These are the standard NHS beige (for sale in good chemists) with a steel frame up the inside of the wrist.
snow report
Only used Level ones, but they are pretty good. The gloves are great. But if one is comfier than the other and doesn't look obviously shoite then I'd go with that. Why would anyone not use wrist guards on a board? You can't fall correctly every time. I suppose they don't wear helmets either.
snow conditions
There are some cases where people wearing wrist guards have broken their collar bone... force has to go somewhere. Training to fall on fore arms with fore arm padding is good.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy