Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good snow...maybe Global Cooling-off has started?

Poster: A snowHead
This was interesting:

http://news.independent.co.uk/sci_tech/article3223603.ece

Maybe...maybe not...maybe it's all just weather....
ski holidays
 brian
brian
rungsp, I don't know much about solar cycles (although the good thing is that since we clearly are on the cusp of a new one, we'll know definitively within a few years if there's anything in it or not) but what I do know is that "global warming" on its own can not possibly be used to explain last year's poor ski season. Conversely, good conditions this year do not provide any meaningful evidence to debunk its existence. The observed warming so far is less than 1 degree celsius. Maybe enough to shift the average snowline 100m up the hill but that's about all.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rungsp,

Great article....Enjoyed reading that! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rungsp

David Whitehouse wrote it Puzzled Puzzled rolling eyes Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Interesting article

Personally I don't think humans alone have caused gloabl warming, as changes to the climate have been recorded and shown for millions of years. That said we could do with smartening our act up.

Right - off to buy a 4*4 wink
snow report
 brian
brian
Boris, get a move on will you. If we don't get our emissions up quickly it'll be polar bears on the Thames, I'm telling you. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
brian wrote:
The observed warming so far is less than 1 degree celsius. Maybe enough to shift the average snowline 100m up the hill but that's about all.

In London maybe but the observed warming over the last 100 years in the Alps is of the order of 1.5 to 2C.

We have still had a warm start to this season, which is why most of the snow on the Jura (height 1600m) has melted now. It is hardly a bumper start to the season below 2000m.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All joking asside the problem for me with the global warming issue is the puritanical venom it is being pushed with. I certainly do not trust a lot of the reports that are published because for me there are a lot of hidden agendas around. I do agree with reducing pollution and looking after our resources its basic good housekeeping after all, but dont get all evengelical with me that its going to stop global warming.

I would imagine with an issue like this that there are a lot fewer experts arround than people would have you beleive, its just the latest good cause to make the western masses alternate between feel good about doing something and feel guilty for being part of the problem. Just the latest in the line of good causes after third world famine, aids etc

Before anyone has a go at me I know that these are real and very big problems for those affected by them but I feal they have been hijacked by the western guilt industry. A lot of people shouting about it, very few doing anything about it. Sorry rambleing again.

If global warming is such a big issue for the UK shouldnt we be pouring every available resource into alternative energy methods like wind,wave and nuclear or any other that I am not aware of.

davidof, interested to hear what you are saying about alpine temps, could you point me towards a site that a layman would understand. Not questioning youre post at all but genuinly interested.
snow report
 brian
brian
davidof, I've no idea about London. I'm talking about global average temp.

Gilberts Fridge, I think we should be doing that anyway, esp. tidal power and fuel cells, oil is getting a tad pricy and won't last forever.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gilberts Fridge wrote:

davidof, interested to hear what you are saying about alpine temps, could you point me towards a site that a layman would understand. Not questioning youre post at all but genuinly interested.

I read it on the Swiss Weather Service website

Quote:
La température sur la Terre s'est réchauffée d'environ 0.6 °C au cours du XXe siècle [1]. En Suisse, le réchauffement des températures fut nettement plus marqué. Au Nord des Alpes, le réchauffement fut compris entre 1.3 °C (en Suisse alémanique) et 1.6 °C (en Suisse romande)

The figure for the south of the Alps is +1C.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
brian wrote:
davidof, I've no idea about London. I'm talking about global average temp.

Most of the planet is water so it won't be shifting the snow line anywhere useful.
snow report
 brian
brian
davidof, no indeed, your figures above are a tad more useful, I must admit.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rungsp, Thanks for posting that, very thought provoking Confused
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Most of the planet is water so it won't be shifting the snow line anywhere useful.

Unless it all freezes
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brian, Spent a lot of the last year in Copenhagen, there are off shore wind farms every where, they produce I have read 35% of their electricity from wind power and want to increase this to 50.

One of the world leaders in wave technology is a Scottish firm, forget the name but they are involved with building the worlds biggest wave farms in Portugal. TBH I would not be against new nuclear plants if it was funded properly but that is where the problem is. Got a mate on the maintenance side at Torness and while he says its safe he does get hacked off about the constant pressure to reduce cost and getting beaten up by managment over any small issues. If I ran the world Id ensure that critical maintenance staff like that were a happy well motivated bunch.

Have also felt that if we produce alternatives it may help in reducing the middle east tensions as well but that may be a too simplistic viewpoint on that issue.

davidof, thanks for the pointer an evening with the Swiss weather service awaits.
latest report
davidof wrote:
brian wrote:
The observed warming so far is less than 1 degree celsius. Maybe enough to shift the average snowline 100m up the hill but that's about all.

In London maybe but the observed warming over the last 100 years in the Alps is of the order of 1.5 to 2C.

We have still had a warm start to this season, which is why most of the snow on the Jura (height 1600m) has melted now. It is hardly a bumper start to the season below 2000m.

Many of the austrian resorts reporting 100 - 200cm of snow don't even stretch as high as 2000m. Not very scientific but I check a GFS chart most days for an area near bad gastein and i'd say the forecast temps are around average for the last month I've been looking.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Here's a gragh showing a possibility for 2020:

snowHead
ski holidays
Yes, that was a good article. I like to read stuff that I can sort of agree with. I'm so not sure about the Global Warming thing. I am certain that what ever truth there is in it has been hi-jacked and ise being used to tax us, control our habits and keep us in a state of uncertainty. Much like some other global threats . . . So yes, that article makes me feel better. I shall now go and put my patio heater on and leave the 4x4 running on the drive just to help us through the coming Ice Age.

When I was at school in the 70s everyone said we were heading for an Ice Age and I don't think they were talking about the movie.
latest report
Boris wrote:
Quote:

Unless it all freezes

Did you see the Horizon snowball earth programme?
snow report
johnnyh wrote:
ise being used to tax us, control our habits and keep us in a state of uncertainty.

Don't bring Ise into this Happy.

Surely people who buy 4x4s already pay a huge amount for their motoring?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy