Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are most snowHeads real skiers?

Poster: A snowHead
Spyderman wrote:
You're only a 'Real Skier' if you've skied on Cairngorm.
Correct but... to be really Real you need to have been unable to move downhill due to the wind blowing uphill (and experienced the opposite!), you need to have gone out in the evening with that pebble-dashed skin look, you need to have run out of run out and stopped dead on some heather, you need to have walked to the Ptarmigan when the lifts are closed, you need to have experienced the deep fried frozen pizza. Anything pansy you all get up to in France simply doesn't qualify.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bode Swiller, now I'm disappointed again - whilst I can fulfill 1 and (2) not 3 but 4 (on the Chevin in Oltey) not 5 but did walk back to the top on the Chevin and 6 doesn't even tempt me!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bode Swiller, not just "stop dead in heather" but a full "park and fly" I think is required.

I reckon most of not all SHs are "real" skiers by some definition. Perhaps, "Interested enough in the pursuit to discuss on line when not actually skiing".

I have some chums that ski - but they have little interest in skiing per se. It could be kite surfing, pig breeding or lion taming - the critical point being that all their mates go off for a week a year to do it and they'd feel left out if they didn't.

And there's nothing at all wrong with that...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RE: ARE MOST SNOWHEADS 'REAL' SKIERS?

No. I'm a boarder. Very Happy

What's the definition of 'real'? I've only been on two holidays but go to MK pretty regular. Does that make me a holiday skier who now has another hobby, or a serious boarding fanatic who just happens to live too far from snow that I have to visit snowdomes?

It's a bit of fun for me really and gets me away from my day job, which was my hobby but now takes up ALL of my working life. It's nice to have a hobby that I can't just go and do on a whim - it makes the times I do go boarding all the more special. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm a real bad skier, does that count?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard wrote:
Most of them are blatantly 'just' holiday skiers.

However, I can't be bothered with all this snobbery. I'm very fond of the holiday skier, since he pays my mortgage and keeps me fed. And if everyone out there was a skiing obsessive, you'd all be an extremely tedious bunch of anoraks (albeit expensive GoreTex anoraks). I really can't be @rsed with yet more threads about pole plants and where to put your edges. rolling eyes

I fear that hanging out on a ski-oriented website in the middle of summer unfortunately puts you among the anoraks as well wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mosha Marc,
Quote:

I hope so. wink Embarassed I'd felt demoralised by easiski's and gortonator's posts, hence the slightly sad question.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle, ..... don't worry ....

.... if Heineken did real skiing, they would have invented snowHeads ..... Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm "keepin' it real" if that helps? Wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
When I say a 'real skier' I mean someone who goes skiing for more than 6 days a year, someone who wants to be (or may already be) a good skier, someone who actively wants to improve their skiing, someone who aspires to (or already does) own their own skis, someone who's more interested in skiing that in the pub, someone who spends time talking about skiing when they're not doing it (that's most Snowheads who post).

A holiday skier is more interested in the pub than skiing, a holiday skier isn't at all interested in skiing well, or learning to do so, a holiday skier wouldn't go off piste, they will never ski more than one week a year, and wouldn't dream of going to a snowdome or a dry slope. A holiday skier is someone who may like to clock up mileage, not for the sake of skiing but for the sake of boasting to their pals.

I think that's enough to be going on with.... ergo, reading very quickly through the posts already - most Snowheads (who post) are 'real' skiers. Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Charlatanefc, Judging by easiski's , criteria you are indeed a real skier Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, I feel a bit better now Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman, reading easiski's criteria, I'm confused, as I seem to fall into both camps a fair bit Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Charlatanefc, .... split personality ... Puzzled Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bode Swiller wrote:
Spyderman wrote:
You're only a 'Real Skier' if you've skied on Cairngorm.
Correct but... to be really Real you need to have been unable to move downhill due to the wind blowing uphill (and experienced the opposite!), you need to have gone out in the evening with that pebble-dashed skin look, you need to have run out of run out and stopped dead on some heather, you need to have walked to the Ptarmigan when the lifts are closed, you need to have experienced the deep fried frozen pizza. Anything pansy you all get up to in France simply doesn't qualify.

Need to go into a tuck to get down the White Lady because if you stand up you'll get blown back up the hill.
Been woken up by a snowplough as you lay in the gutter unconcious from a night on the heavy & whisky.
skied the Heather and saw the sparks from the ski edges as they hit the granite.
Eaten Meat Pie, beans & Chips in the Day Lodge.
snow report
Spyderman, I'll happily Eat Meat Pie, beans & Chips in the Day Lodge., but thats as close as I'll get to skiing in Scotland. and there was me thinking I'd become a real skier cos I'm going to buy boots and have 4 trips planned this coming season Sad
snow report
holidayloverxx, Meat Pies in the Day Lodge are a delight not to be missed, you just cut into them and the grease just runs out and spills over the plate, the beans are about as hot as Napalm and the chips, well you can just feel your arteries blocking. They make food anywhere else in the world so much more palatable.
snow conditions
Spyderman, excellent - you might persuade me to give scotland a go after all Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I reckon that a real skier has to have an aversion to fondue - it's the most boring, overrated thing around Very Happy
latest report
Specialman, ah yes Fondue... in Aviemore that's where we used to dunk half bricks into used engine oil. Real food for real skiers.
latest report
There's nothing like cheese to give you some low-down ballast when making tight turns!! Toofy Grin
snow report
Hurtle,
Quote:
Are most snowHeads real skiers?

Yes, most are.
snow conditions
I'm a real skier.

Ski instructor. At least 100 days on snow a season working or playing and more often than not both.

I'm a luck b******* but i've worked hard at getting this lucky wink
latest report
I still think we should stop slating the poor old 'holiday' skier. Particularly those of us who rely on his cash one way and another.
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
I still think we should stop slating the poor old 'holiday' skier. Particularly those of us who rely on his cash one way and another.

That's the thing, they weren't 'Poor' before they went to the French Alps, just afterwards. wink Laughing
ski holidays
Specialman,
Quote:

RE: ARE MOST SNOWHEADS 'REAL' SKIERS?

No. I'm a boarder.

Shame, you have such good taste in music, what happened? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Mosha Marc wrote:

I hope so.
ski holidays
So to use the easiski, scale, because I choose not to take regular instruction, I am not a real skier? Ergo, I am a holiday skier....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm a holiday skier too. I hardley ever ski here in Cham'. I love getting out and about to other resorts. Chamonix, has in recent years, lacked sufficent 'Kiddycover', so killing children on the piste has become somewhat a rariety. Luckly they have invested heavily in the 'Family' thing around and abouts, so that's great. Toofy Grin
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, If I were to partake in your sport of kiddy killing then how would I differentiate between genuine kids and shortarsed cute bootfitters? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Spyderman, can you ski on cairngorm?
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I realised that coordination with one piece of wood is better than with two!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, Pi$$ 'arf!!!!!!!!!
Specialman, Sure, if you've got one leg!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Toofy Grin
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, If I were to partake in your sport of kiddy killing then how would I differentiate between genuine kids and shortarsed cute bootfitters? Toofy Grin

Wasn't there some shortar$e hanging around the bar in Val Thoren's this year. Looked about twelve. Can't quite remember his name, even though he was introduced to everyone. Puzzled
ski holidays
Kramer, I'm gona Pi$$ in your boots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
latest report
Kramer, If he needs to p!ss in your boots then you better have some step ladders handy for the boy Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Real skiers: those who are out all (or a lot of) the season on the slopes, the professionals (such as easiski, ssh, veeeight) and the likes of davidof, Bernard_C, and so forth. The rest of us are holiday skiers - and most of us are keen ones..
snow report
BernardC, yeh but no but yeh Wink
snow report
Real skiiers only get the first lifts on powder days. snowHead
latest report
Lizzard, thankfully I don't depend on them - if I did I'd do something else. Why are Euan and Dave so stoked about teaching Snowheads at the EOSB? Because they actually had students who wanted to learn! They (because they both work for ski schools) spend most of the winter trying to teach peeps who don't actually want to learn, but are just there because someone else enrolled them, or because it was included in the holiday price. It's absolutely and totally demoralising to try to teach these peeps 6-7 days a week for 5 months! Shocked

SMALLZOOKEEPER, Peeps in the biz don't count!

achilles, AFAIC you're deffo a real skier. Holiday skiers are the above...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy