Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ryanair baggage - just checking I've got this right.

Poster: A snowHead
Going with Ryanair for first time in December so just want to make sure I've understood their baggage rules correctly, please feel free to confirm this or correct me.

1. For £0 you can take 1 item of hand baggage measuring no more than 55cm x 40cm x 20cm and weighing no more than 10kg. No mention of whether ski boots can or cannot be carried on board, so I assume they can.

2. For £5 each way, a hold bag of up to 15kg.

3. For £15.50 each way a ski/board bag with no weight restrictions.

So, if the above is correct, would I get away with putting my luggage in a large ski/board bag with my skis and taking my boots on as hand baggage, total cost £31. Hope so.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are other threads on this issue, from those I am not sure if the 15.50 covers unlimited weight and also not sure will you get ski boots as hand luggage for security reasons.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Peter Ross, in case you attack fellow passengers with a sharpened ski boot?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter Ross wrote:
There are other threads on this issue, from those I am not sure if the 15.50 covers unlimited weight and also not sure will you get ski boots as hand luggage for security reasons.

Unless they think ski boots could be used as a club then they have no reason to refuse them as hand luggage IMHO. Large sporting equipment can be refused but boots hardly count as large. (anyway, if there was any issue I'd put them on my feet!). The terms and conditions are unclear on whether the sports equipment is in addition to the 15kg or not - it certainly won't be unlimited. I imagine someone who actually knows the answer will be along shortly.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 16-08-07 14:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lizzard, snap - almost wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I always take my ski boots on ryanair as hand luggage, and put loads of stuff in my ski bag as well. If they question it, just claim that it's for protecting your skis.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx wrote:

Unless they think ski boots could be used as a club then they have no reason to refuse them as hand luggage IMHO. Large sporting equipment can be refused but boots hardly count as large. (anyway, if there was any issue I'd put them on my feet!).

They can reason that they are something which cannot be properly scanned with the hand luggage scanning machines (the ones used to scan hold luggage are far more powerful), and for them to manually inspect the boots to ensure they have not been "modified" to contain a hidden weapon would be too time consuming.

Whether they a actually believe any such thing, I doubt. But whether they will allow you to take te boots as hand luggage is going to depend on their mood on the day.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
To clarify, in the baggage section they claim
Quote:
Sporting equipment including but not limited to large fishing rods, golf clubs, bicycles, fencing equipment, surfboards, bodyboards, snowboards and skis are inherently unsuitable for carriage by airlines. You may therefore wish to ensure that you have suitable private insurance cover in force to cover such items. An additional charge is made for the carriage of these items per item, per one way flight irrespective of weight

But then delving deeper in the T&C's, they quote
Quote:
For health and safety reasons Ryanair does not accept for carriage any individual item exceeding 32 kilos or with combined dimensions of more than 81cms (height), 119cms (width) and 119cms (depth).

So I guess what they're saying is your ski bag can weigh as much as you want, so long as it doesn't go above 32kg.

btw, we've now had change of plan and going Easyjet, so will start all over on the baggage regs Sad but thanks for you collective response anyway...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't think a ski bag is big enough for all your gear but a couple of snowboarder mates of mine reguarly get all their stuff in their board bags incuding their boots on both EasyJet and RyanAir ... I even got my skis in with one of them in January although my mate had to then take his boots in a separate bag.

Since the baggage charging came in I've been checking in one bag and one (preferably double) ski bag and carrying my boots in the cabin ... had no problem 4 or 5 times last season despite the increased security.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
do people put the boots in a boot bag (so its obvious ) or in a holdall when taking as hand luggage?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
masmith wrote:

But then delving deeper in the T&C's, they quote
Quote:
For health and safety reasons Ryanair does not accept for carriage any individual item exceeding 32 kilos or with combined dimensions of more than 81cms (height), 119cms (width) and 119cms (depth).

Those dimensions cannot be valid when applying to ski equipment, unless you are going to fold your skis up Happy

So is the weight then valid?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
masmith, just be very careful not to go over Ryanairs specs! I have been screwed for excess to the fine tune of 70 quid last year. And the other half had more than 10kg hand luggage and had to pay. This was flying from Stansted. They do weigh your hand luggage and make you fit it into the bag template - there is no getting away with anything.

Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
flangesax, yeah, that's precisesly why I was making sure. Like you, a friend last year got stung for £60 by Easyjet at Liverpool, mind you, like a prat he thought he'd get away with a 35kg board bag having not prepaid. Some people !!

Lesson learnt, a bit more cautious now.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
masmith, on the other side of the coin - I have had guests here that have hardly been able to lift their bags - god only knows how much they weighted. They didnt get stung either and were totally in denial that luggage was limited to 15kg per person. I just wish Ryanair would be consistant. Im sure they have me marked - get as much out of me as poss!

Cant compain too much though - I still keep using them! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
flangesax, must admit, if I lived nearer to Stansted I think I would use them a fair bit too, they always seem to have cheapos to Salzburg and Friedrichshafen, but the journey to Stansted from Sheffield is a pain in the jacksie. Cheap 'n nasty maybe, but cheap all the same, and that works for me!
ski holidays
Quote:

taking my boots on as hand baggage

I've been refused ski boots in hand luggage at East Midlands, security made me check them in! Reason they gave me was 'because you can't' Mad
snow report
Hi.

I'm thinking of booking a cheap flight with Ryanair.
If I cancel it I want to reduce the amount I lose so ...
Does anyone know if I can add the baggage and ski carriage later without a penalty charge?

Cheers.
latest report
Jumpin Jack, you definitely can add them later with EJ online, but I haven't booked a Ryanair flight for ages. Last time I did, I just rang up and added the skis
latest report
Jumpin Jack, great idea, will remember that one.
snow conditions
I just had a read of the Ryanair T&C's:

"The Baggage Fee may be prepaid at the current discounted rate of €6.00/£5.00 per item of baggage/per one way flight when making your reservation. If the Baggage Fee is paid after you have made your booking either at the airport, or through a Ryanair call centre, at the full rate per item of baggage/per one way flight is charged."

I guess this means that the charge is higher if you add the baggage later. However, it doesn't mention adding the ski/board charge later.

I'll just bite the bullet and add the baggage I want now. I'm pretty confident I'll use the flight once it's booked.

When I flew with BMI I added the ski charge at the airport - the cost was the same, though it was a bit of hassle having to queue again. My mate did his at Lyon airport - major hassle - they just didn't know what they were doing. Not recommended. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Just noticed that Ryanair now charge to check in at the airport!!! - EUR3 or £2. Blimey. They'll be charging extra to take off, and another surcharge to land. This has to be absolutely my least favourite airline - and I flew Aeroflot internal Russia a couple or months or so ago! After my last 'experience' it would have to be a very compelling reason to use them. Horrible company.
ski holidays
noggy, they only ask for the landing surcharge once you've taken off wink
snow report
Flying back from Friedrichshafen with Ryan Air my bag was overweight so I removed a ski boot and put it in my hand luggage to avoid the charges. When I got to security they refused to let my bag through and insisted my boot went in the hold. I went back to check in and they checked by hand luggage into the hold. Luckly they did not charge me extra.
ski holidays
just wear your ski boots .. problem solved...
snow conditions
CANV CANVINGTON, in principle that should work, it's common practice amoung high altitude climbers to wear their boots on the plane to save on weight. They're easier to walk in than ski boots though.
ski holidays
Personally I would not risk taking my ski boots as hand luggage. If they demand that they go in the hold at security, then I would have to buy another bag for them to go in, so for me, a false economy.
Thanks for the heads up on the "check-in" charge. What will be next, charging for a seat perhaps?
ski holidays
jonesj71 wrote:
Personally I would not risk taking my ski boots as hand luggage. If they demand that they go in the hold at security, then I would have to buy another bag for them to go in, so for me, a false economy.
Thanks for the heads up on the "check-in" charge. What will be next, charging for a seat perhaps?

Nah they'll be charging for cleaning the seats/tables - last but one time I flew with o'learys mob..pulled the table down to rest the coffee on I'd just paid for - and it was covered in puke...

Nice - still flew with them to Friedchicken for a week in St. Anton last year - stuffed the board bag no issues with weight. My mate was over the limit by about 6kilos got stung 'ryanair tax' and yet he's at least 20kilos less than i am.

ha ha, vin chaud anyone?
snow report
noggy just been looking at Ryanair website. Seems to me that they charge for online check in and priority boarding. If you forget your boarding card, then they charge you at the airport for it's re-issue. I think that you can still queue up at check in for free if you have hold luggage!

Unless you know different............
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jonesj71,
From their website -

"RYANAIR MAKES WEB CHECK-IN FREE TO REDUCE AIRPORT QUEUES

Web Check-in/Priority Boarding service entirely free
Airport check-in desk service charged at £2/€3 per person
All other passengers can purchase priority boarding online"

I read as if they think they're doing us the big favour. Mad
latest report
I've also just found this gem on the Cryanair website : -

ADVERTISING STANDARDS AUTHORITY?

The UK Advertising Standards Authority is looking for an 'investigations executive' but if you want to work for them you’ll have to show that you’re a dummy. The ASA are the morons who last week decided that 1 hour on the plane is longer than 2 hours on the train. Take our test to find out if you are a big enough moron to join the ASA’s crack team.

A Ryanair flight from London to Brussels lasts 1 hour and 10 minutes. The Eurostar train takes 2 hours 11 minutes. Which is shorter?

A) Ryanair
B) Eurostar

A Ryanair flight from London to Brussels costs £15. A Eurostar train from London to Brussels costs £27. Which is cheaper?

A) Ryanair
B) Eurostar

If you answered B you’re just the kind of mathematically challenged ‘Investigations Executive’ the ASA is looking for

xWrong! Don't worry, maths skills are a disadvantage at the ASA.
x Well done Einstein!

I'd have answered B to both of these questions! Of course you have to pay and get to Stansted, 30 mins(?) from central London - and they eventually land you at Charleroi (46km outside Brussels) and then you have to pay to get to Brussels proper. That's not to mention the check-in time and inevitable delayed departures and waiting for luggage at the other end. These monkeys at Ryanair should be advised that questioning the intelligence of their passengers will eventually backfire (ask Gerald Ratner)
ski holidays
noggy, that really is going too far - Who T F do they think they are? I used to use them and rated them well for a number reasons, but all my trips this year and the coming year are with easyjet. Their arrogance is beyond belief. I don't beleive passengers are interested in the semantics of their argument - what we want to know is how much does it cost to get from A (home) to B (destination) and how long does it take - allow something for (in)convenience factor. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
noggy Yup, found it....
Quote:

RYANAIR MAKES WEB CHECK-IN FREE TO REDUCE AIRPORT QUEUES

All other passengers can purchase priority boarding online
Ryanair, Europe’s largest international airline, today (Friday, 24th August 2007) announced new incentives to encourage passengers to use Ryanair’s “Check’N’Go” web check in service, while at the same time discouraging passengers from checking in bags or using airport check in queues. Ryanair’s web check-in service will be entirely free and enables passengers travelling with only hand luggage to avoid airport check-in and go straight through security, cutting out the queues and overcrowding which are now commonplace at many airports.

With effect for new bookings made from Thursday, 20th September onwards:

Web check-in will be free for passengers travelling with hand luggage only* and will also include free priority boarding at the departure gate.
Passengers who do not avail of free web check-in will be charged £2/€3 for using airport check in facilities
**Priority boarding will be made available for purchase online as well as through the existing sales points - call centres and airports for a fee of £2/€3 per person

but then there's this as well.....

Quote:

How Much Does it Cost to use the Online Check-In/Priority Boarding Service?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Online Check-in/Priority Boarding service can be purchased by *qualifying passengers* for £2/€3 per passenger/per one way flight either at the airport or through a Ryanair call centre. These fees are non refundable.

*The following passengers cannot use Online Check-In:

Passengers travelling with checked baggage or on the same reservation as a passenger travelling with checked baggage.
Children aged between 14-18 years travelling alone
Passengers travelling with infants
Passengers travelling with mobility equipment (including children's buggies)
Passengers with reduced mobility, blind/visual impaired passengers including those travelling with a sighted companion
Blind/visual impaired passenger travelling with a guide dog
Passengers who require special assistance at the airport
Passengers travelling from Italy to the UK
Passengers travelling on a passport which is due to expire within 30 days from the date of travel.
When there are more than 9 passengers booked in a reservation
N.B. Passengers who have purchased Online Check-In that subsequently do not qualify for the service will be offered Priority Boarding onto the aircraft. All Online Check-in/Priority Boarding fees are non refundable.

As clear as mud!
snow report
jonesj71 wrote:
noggy Yup, found it....
Quote:

RYANAIR MAKES WEB CHECK-IN FREE TO REDUCE AIRPORT QUEUES

All other passengers can purchase priority boarding online
Ryanair, Europe’s largest international airline, today (Friday, 24th August 2007) announced new incentives to encourage passengers to use Ryanair’s “Check’N’Go” web check in service, while at the same time discouraging passengers from checking in bags or using airport check in queues. Ryanair’s web check-in service will be entirely free and enables passengers travelling with only hand luggage to avoid airport check-in and go straight through security, cutting out the queues and overcrowding which are now commonplace at many airports.

With effect for new bookings made from Thursday, 20th September onwards:

Web check-in will be free for passengers travelling with hand luggage only* and will also include free priority boarding at the departure gate.
Passengers who do not avail of free web check-in will be charged £2/€3 for using airport check in facilities
**Priority boarding will be made available for purchase online as well as through the existing sales points - call centres and airports for a fee of £2/€3 per person

but then there's this as well.....

Quote:

How Much Does it Cost to use the Online Check-In/Priority Boarding Service?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Online Check-in/Priority Boarding service can be purchased by *qualifying passengers* for £2/€3 per passenger/per one way flight either at the airport or through a Ryanair call centre. These fees are non refundable.

*The following passengers cannot use Online Check-In:

Passengers travelling with checked baggage or on the same reservation as a passenger travelling with checked baggage.
Children aged between 14-18 years travelling alone
Passengers travelling with infants
Passengers travelling with mobility equipment (including children's buggies)
Passengers with reduced mobility, blind/visual impaired passengers including those travelling with a sighted companion
Blind/visual impaired passenger travelling with a guide dog
Passengers who require special assistance at the airport
Passengers travelling from Italy to the UK
Passengers travelling on a passport which is due to expire within 30 days from the date of travel.
When there are more than 9 passengers booked in a reservation
N.B. Passengers who have purchased Online Check-In that subsequently do not qualify for the service will be offered Priority Boarding onto the aircraft. All Online Check-in/Priority Boarding fees are non refundable.

As clear as mud!
Wouldn't it have been easier to write:

The following passengers cannot use the online Check in

Ryanair Passengers
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy